Jeremy Johnson

Lowrider

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy is not CAM, but I could see him becoming as good as Pat Sullivan with good receivers like Duke.

I'd prefer the Cam ceiling for Jeremy

It's obvious that you never saw Sullivan in action.

I did and as much respect as I have for Pat and as much as I like him....he was no Cam Newton.

The same thing any unbiased outsider would tell you just looking objectively. You can find a Sullivan just about anywhere nowadays - we might have a better Sullivan backing up JJ - but a 6'5 245 QB that's throwing 80+ yards and can run a 4.5? Hmm

You can't compare accolades cause Cam did Sullivan's whole career and then some in one year, Cam nearly beats out Sullivan across the board statistically, albeit a different offense... But still in no form or fashion,could I call Sullivan a better QB than Cameron

Nobody said Sullivan is a better QB than Newton. Sullivan is, however, the second best QB in Auburn history. You cannot "find a Sullivan just about anywhere nowadays". Pat Sullivan meant more to the AU program than any single player has ever meant, including Cam Newton. Where we were when Sullivan showed up for freshman ball and where we were after he finished his varsity career was a transition from dark to daylight.

Newton's one year here was a great one and the results were great but one year is one year.

Bo Jackson says hi.

Indeed^^

Pat may have meant the most to Auburn at one time, but by 1983/84, I'm betting Bo had begun to surpass him. Bo's shadow still looms large over the Plains in a way that Cam's really doesn't, at least at this point. Pat's shadow has certainly diminished with time but I think most of that is because of the success of Auburn in the 80s, the success of Auburn in the early 1990s and in 97, and the success of Tuberville in the 2000s. Sullivan and Beasley elevated Auburn to new heights from 1969-1971 in a way that it hadn't been before, even with a championship in 1957. That lingered heavily for years after, mainly because of the very average teams of the mid and late 70s. When Bo came, and then Brent, Jeff, Reggie, Stan, etc., and Dye acheived his success, I think Sullivan was sort of eclipsed.

That said, I hate that people seem to forget about Pat these days next to Bo and Cam. I wasn't even alive when he played but the success he and Beas had was incredible at that time. I think Sullivan was the first truly epic/dynamic player that Auburn had (no disrespect to Hitchcock, Tidwell, Dooley, Frederickson, or Sidle) because of the attention and focus from the rest of the nation. By the 60s and 70s, alot more games were being televised and stars like Spurrier, Manning, and Namath were making names for themselves and their teams. It was bound to happen at Auburn when Sullivan and Beasley teamed up and started tearing things up. Sullivan basically defined Auburn football for a really long time, in the way that Bo has since he left in 85.

Pat Sullivan is the 1st true AU legend and he has been a exceptional AU ambassador both on and off the field based on an entire career at AU (freshman to senior). Cam had the best ONE season in AU history. Of course there is Bo. IMO, in terms of AU achievement (both on and off of the field including giving back to AU), the ranking is as follows: 1. Sully 1A. Bo 3. TBD (with Cam in the drivers seat.)

Back to the OP. Jeremy Johnson will be given every chance to prove he is special, it is up to him to deliver.

wde

I think a lot of people viewed Auburn after the 2010 team with Cam as a one hit wonder. They had a once in a generation player and the stars just seemed to line up. The two following years did nothing to dispel that notion.

That's fair and I could see that. But the recruiting didn't really slip since then, and I think great players consider AU because they saw Cam dominate at AU and that alone has elevated AU's status from as recently as 6-7 years ago, IMO

Chris Todd set passing records at Auburn. We almost won it all with a cornerback under center. We've had the leading rushing in the SEC the last 2 seasons.

Cam would have been very, very good anywhere. He had one of the best single seasons of any player at any position in college football history because of one Gustav Malzahn. And it's Gus's offense- along with Dameyune Craig, Will Muschamp, Travaris Robinson, Tim Horton and Rodney Garner- pulling in the recruits far more than Cam's one season.

Well said!

Jeremy is not CAM, but I could see him becoming as good as Pat Sullivan with good receivers like Duke.

I'd prefer the Cam ceiling for Jeremy

It's obvious that you never saw Sullivan in action.

I did and as much respect as I have for Pat and as much as I like him....he was no Cam Newton.

The same thing any unbiased outsider would tell you just looking objectively. You can find a Sullivan just about anywhere nowadays - we might have a better Sullivan backing up JJ - but a 6'5 245 QB that's throwing 80+ yards and can run a 4.5? Hmm

You can't compare accolades cause Cam did Sullivan's whole career and then some in one year, Cam nearly beats out Sullivan across the board statistically, albeit a different offense... But still in no form or fashion,could I call Sullivan a better QB than Cameron

Nobody said Sullivan is a better QB than Newton. Sullivan is, however, the second best QB in Auburn history. You cannot "find a Sullivan just about anywhere nowadays". Pat Sullivan meant more to the AU program than any single player has ever meant, including Cam Newton. Where we were when Sullivan showed up for freshman ball and where we were after he finished his varsity career was a transition from dark to daylight.

Newton's one year here was a great one and the results were great but one year is one year.

Without Cam, we have a QB roster of Neil Claudle, Kodi Burns and Barrett Trotter

so we basically don't have a national title since 1957

At the end of the day, there's not a single thing that matters more than anything with football other than titles and only 2 teams can say they have won one at Auburn

At the end of the day, there's not a single thing that matters more than anything with football other than titles.....

Nonsense.

At the end of the day, there's not a single thing that matters more than anything with football other than titles.....

Nonsense.

exactly, but you eliminated the rest of his uater quote.

It sucks that just the players name makes people assume he's in trouble LOL when did we get like this?

We got like this not long after Al Gore invented the internet.

Yes, I agree. First he invented the internet, then global warming. Gore may be more creative than Thomas Edison and Henry Ford put together.

Wonder if he ever dodged sniper fire?

Facepalm

I think a lot of people viewed Auburn after the 2010 team with Cam as a one hit wonder. They had a once in a generation player and the stars just seemed to line up. The two following years did nothing to dispel that notion.

That's fair and I could see that. But the recruiting didn't really slip since then, and I think great players consider AU because they saw Cam dominate at AU and that alone has elevated AU's status from as recently as 6-7 years ago, IMO

Chris Todd set passing records at Auburn. We almost won it all with a cornerback under center. We've had the leading rushing in the SEC the last 2 seasons.

Cam would have been very, very good anywhere. He had one of the best single seasons of any player at any position in college football history because of one Gustav Malzahn. And it's Gus's offense- along with Dameyune Craig, Will Muschamp, Travaris Robinson, Tim Horton and Rodney Garner- pulling in the recruits far more than Cam's one season.

GUS...he is the reason that JJ could have a memorable season too....JJ has a HC who will groom an offense to make him successful...and make the offense successful....as his first priority.

Just about every HC we have had prior to Gus was defensive oriented and IMO, the QBs excelled in spite of the many uncreative offensive plans they had to work with and game plans that favored the defense.

Well JJ is no Frazier and that's fine with me. JJ shows promise so I'm excited for spring ball and to hear all the news. Spring game can't get here soon enough

Nonsense.

It's not a "UATer quote" it's an unbiased observation. You really think we're making a SEC title? Much less a national title. Cameron is and was the biggest part of that team. Now the second part would have to be Malzahn and him putting a good offense around Newton, but if you have even a Sonny Dykes level coordinator, you should be able to have done something productive with Cam.

And about the titles, you don't play NCAA football for fun, you don't play for family, you play to be the best damn team in the nation. Newton and company brought that, they deserve to be respected more than any other team except 1957, 2004, and maybe 1993. If Sullivan won a title, he'd get put on more of a pedestal than Cameron, but he didn't.

I'm not even sure how you can say you're a football fan if the ultimate goal every season isn't to make a title, at least. Obviously improvement is something you want to see, like in 2013 coming off of 2012. But with a top 10 team, a very expensive coaching staff, and a great offense, I wanted us to get back to winning titles.

Nonsense.

It's not a "UATer quote" it's an unbiased observation. You really think we're making a SEC title? Much less a national title. Cameron is and was the biggest part of that team. Now the second part would have to be Malzahn and him putting a good offense around Newton, but if you have even a Sonny Dykes level coordinator, you should be able to have done something productive with Cam.

And about the titles, you don't play NCAA football for fun, you don't play for family, you play to be the best damn team in the nation. Newton and company brought that, they deserve to be respected more than any other team except 1957, 2004, and maybe 1993. If Sullivan won a title, he'd get put on more of a pedestal than Cameron, but he didn't.

Just curious but how is it unbiased, if you're the only one making the observation? You can be the best player in the nation and not play on the so called best team. How do you "make" an SEC title?

Nonsense.

Just curious but how is it unbiased, if you're the only one making the observation? You can be the best player in the nation and not play on the so called best team. How do you "make" an SEC title?

A. It's an unbiased observation by just looking at facts, I was assuming that WarTiger was going against that observation as well.

B. You probably just described Cam with that statement, the best player who didn't play on the best team.

C. Have you never heard the statement "to make (anything"? I hear it at least once a week. "Did you make it home?" "How did you make it to the house?". I don't know what else to tell you if you've never heard that used before.

Nonsense.

A. It's an unbiased observation by just looking at facts, I was assuming that WarTiger was going against that observation as well.

B. You probably just described Cam with that statement, the best player who didn't play on the best team.

C. Have you never heard the statement "to make (anything"? I hear it at least once a week. "Did you make it home?" "How did you make it to the house?". I don't know what else to tell you if you've never heard that used before.

A. What are the facts?

B. How did Cam not play on the best team? We won the title.

C. My unbiased opinion is that your wording and opinion's are weird!

Nonsense.

I'd say Pat Sullivan is pretty high up in Auburn lore and is on a pedestal considering he won a HEISMAN and we retired his number. You basically discredit what Sully did for Auburn just because he didn't win a national title it's pretty silly and quite ignorant.

Nonsense.

It's not a "UATer quote"

Apparently you missed the entire intent of my statement. I know MIkey understands my statement and (probably most everybody else that reads here) that's who I was responding to in the first place.

it's an unbiased observation. You really think we're you're making (I think you mean WINNING, NOBODY "makes" titles) a SEC title? Much less a national title. Cameron is and was the biggest part of that team. Now the second part would have to be Malzahn and him putting a good offense around Newton, but if you have even a Sonny Dykes level coordinator, you should be able to have done something productive with Cam.

Unbiased observation? NO...OPINION. Nothing more.

As far as: "f you have even a Sonny Dykes level coordinator, you should be able to have done something productive with Cam"

Urban Whiner (who just win a natty with OSU) told Cam his best shot into the NFL was playing Tight End. So no, not everyone can do with Cam what Gus did!

As far as: "f you have even a Sonny Dykes level coordinator, you should be able to have done something productive with Cam"

Urban Whiner (who just win a natty with OSU) told Cam his best shot into the NFL was playing Tight End. So no, not everyone can do with Cam what Gus did!

Urban had Tebow. I highly doubt he was paying much of any attention to Cameron. If it was between Cam and some noob, then I'm sure Urban would've made Cam just as good. Did you see Ohio State this year? No Miller, J.T, no J.T, Cardale. I'm sure Meyer would've said something similar about Jones if anyone actually knew the guy existed.

Nonsense.

A. What are the facts?

B. How did Cam not play on the best team? We won the title.

C. My unbiased opinion is that your wording and opinion's are weird!

The best team doesn't always make the title, the team that makes the most happen to win usually makes it. Case in point, FSU wasn't a better team than TCU but they made the most happen to make it. Was that 2010 Auburn team around Cam good? Yeah, they were good. Teams I feel were better but either made less happen or just had a hole somewhere: LSU, Alabama, TCU. Cam, Malzahn, and some clutch stops were the reason Auburn was ahead of many of those teams, but that defense was painfully average, 60th ranked I believe.

Just so I don't sound like a complete hater, the 2014 team with a healthy Lawson and Whitehead playing are better too. Receiver difference is pretty big, OL is better, RBs probably would be better if Roc got more love but it is what is. DL goes to 2010, but Adams would've been great with Lawson to help. LBs and secondary are both better on 2014 team.

BUT Cam was the difference, Malzahn not making very poor calls as much, and the overall clutchness of that 2010 team is the difference.

He probably would have made a great TE but can you imagine any team that would have not put a talent like at quarterback besides Bama under Saban or Florida under Meyers? I don't know, maybe Blinn had the superior coaching staff that let everyone in on the secret that was Cam at QB

Back to JJ. With everything he will have around him this year I would expect that we will see some records broken this year. Just watching him throw I just think if we can find a complement at WR for Duke then the sky is the limit. Someone is going to have to step up to take the double team off Duke. I think the Off. will again this year keep us in every game. If the Def. can improve we could be a lot of trouble for the rest of the league. JJ knows the Off. so it's not like a Freshman is stepping in. He has some experience starting so that won't be brand new and in that start he played well against a good team.

Archived