Jeremy Johnson

Lowrider

I'm usually pretty good about keeping my expectations tame, but seeing JJ and thinking about what Gus can do (and has done) with a

6' 5" QB with a great arm has got me down right giddy about our 2015 Offense!

The additions of Carl Lawson and Tray Matthews to go with our new staff on D makes me believe that FINALLY our D will be good enough to compliment our Offense.

Guys, I'm really expecting us to be in the thick of things in November. Am I crazy or what?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a wonder anyone ever speaks their mind on this site, cause the personal attacks are sure to follow. But , Auburn football is an emotional topic so it makes sense. War Eagle and can anyone hurry up the kick off time? Geesh

Who attacked you? No one. You said an outlandish statement on a thread and expect no one to say anything to you. Aufamily is one of the tamest sites on the Internet for Auburn fans. Learn how to take criticism instead of whining about how you got "attacked".

I hate to be a downer but I am concerned, the last time in 2012 that Auburn did not have a running quarterback, well we all know what happened. I am talking about the speed to bring the ball down and run around the end for a touchdown. Marshall could do it. I don't know about any quarterbacks on the roster now. Just passing , ain't gonna get it done. You must make the opposing defenses respect the quarterback run to open up the passing game. Thats's just my two cents. And that's about what it is worth I'll admit.

The running game with JJ will look a lot more like the running game with Cam than it did with Marshall. Cam Newton didn't run a great deal of zone read either at AU. It was more inside power/inverted veer**...and on 3rd or 4th down and short yardage, if AU will fans will recall, having a 6'5" inch 240 pound QB running power was just about unstoppable

JJ is in another league passing the ball compared to Marshall. And JJ can run the ball. AU will be just fine. Comparisons to 2012 (Loeffler!) are ridiculous.

**On edit...

Listen to what JJ had to say about the running game starting around 20 seconds in

nice interview, can't wait to see JJ truck two defensive players into the end zone.

Prediction: Jason Smith at Wildcat (run-pass option) and Ricardo Louis or Stanton Truitt on the speed sweep.

Some folks seem to forget that the first year Gus was here he took a kid with a bum shoulder who ran like a lumberjack and made him one of the best QBs in terms of stats we have ever had. I really don't think Jeremy's perceived lack of running ability will be a problem. I think Jeremy will have success running it when he has to, but he won't need to run it like Marshall did.

I'm usually pretty good about keeping my expectations tame, but seeing JJ and thinking about what Gus can do (and has done) with a

6' 5" QB with a great arm has got me down right giddy about our 2015 Offense!

The additions of Carl Lawson and Tray Matthews to go with our new staff on D makes me believe that FINALLY our D will be good enough to compliment our Offense.

Guys, I'm really expecting us to be in the thick of things in November. Am I crazy or what?

No ur not, I'm expecting it as well

Jeremy Johnson..

1. Will be a great pocket passer

2. Will be better than expected on simple zone read plays but won't have the ability to get the edge that NM did.

3. Will command an offense that will look a lot more like Gus' offense at Tulsa than what we have seen the last couple seasons.

At least that's what I'm expecting

JJ is most likely the best passer that CGM will have coached. I ain't worried about it.

I do think he will be effective on the inside zone keepers. I don't expect many cam LSU type runs but they wouldn't wouldn't shock me either. What i do hope we get from jj is the ability to sense pressure and the strength to escape and avoid negative plays. Like the Ohio state #3 qb.

Cam: 6'5 245

JJ: 6'5 230

Just an interesting comparison. They are built very similarly physically, and JJ does have comparable speed. Same vision, strength and ball security? Who knows? (Yet)

Cam: 6'5 245

JJ: 6'5 230

Just an interesting comparison. They are built very similarly physically, and JJ does have comparable speed. Same vision, strength and ball security? Who knows? (Yet)

JJ 240 (gained 10 pounds)

Just hoping he has pocket presence... if he does then Gus should be able to dial up the play. I don't really care if he can run like Cam, cut like NM, or break records like Chris Todd. As long as the team has a belief in his ability to do his job, then the star player could be anyone else and the results mighty fine.

Just hoping he has pocket presence... if he does then Gus should be able to dial up the play. I don't really care if he can run like Cam, cut like NM, or break records like Chris Todd. As long as the team has a belief in his ability to do his job, then the star player could be anyone else and the results mighty fine.

From everything we have seen out of JJ (for two and a half games), what would lead you to doubt his decision making skills?

In fact, I have not seen anything to suggest that JJ is not fully in control when he steps into the role (except perhaps when he had come in for a single play cold). He has looked great in every game he has started (2) and played a half or more (4 total).

From everything we have seen out of JJ (for two and a half games), what would lead you to doubt his decision making skills?

In fact, I have not seen anything to suggest that JJ is not fully in control when he steps into the role (except perhaps when he had come in for a single play cold). He has looked great in every game he has started (2) and played a half or more (4 total).

Nothing...

Just responding that he needn't be Super Man. super quick, or Little Johnny 'Featsball' in order to succeed. Sometime's it seems some of us forget it's still a team sport and AU doesn't need him make the Heisman list. He just needs to think and do his part and it could be another really good year.

Nothing...

Just responding that he needn't be Super Man. super quick, or Little Johnny 'Featsball' in order to succeed. Sometime's it seems some of us forget it's still a team sport and AU doesn't need him make the Heisman list. He just needs to think and do his part and it could be another really good year.

I agree with that..

Everyone at AU wants another Cam Newton, Bo Jackson, or Patrick Sullivan. But those only come along about every 20-30 years.

I don't know that people are expecting him to be Auburn's next Heisman winner, but physically he has all of the tools to do so. I think that people see the potential for him to be great, considering 1) his past performance 2) the system that he is going to be playing in, and 3) the pieces that he has around him.

In my opinion, Jeremy will have a fantastic year. Will he win the Heisman? Who knows. Other than Mariota, someone relatively unknown at the beginning of the season has gone on to win the Heisman. If you ask me, this is because we usually hype these players up so much, that even though they have great seasons, they usually don't meet the insane expectations that we set.

A perfect example of this was Johnny Manziel. His RS Freshman season, he came in as an unknown and made plays that were unconventional and made for good highlight tapes. He won the heisman that year. His RS Sophomore season, he began the year in the midst of controversy, and was a relative known. He still made insane plays and was all over SportsCenter, and statistically his stats were even better than the previous year, yet he finished FIFTH in the Heisman polls. Some of this can be accounted to his poor public image, but it can also be attributed to him being known, and his stats being expected.

One of the biggest things going for JJ in the heisman race is his relative anonymity. Outside of Alabama, I don't think many would be able to pick him out of a lineup, and that is a good thing. Should he put up yards, it will be unexpected by the masses and it will give him increased momentum going into the Heisman voting.

Everyone at AU wants another Cam Newton, Bo Jackson, or Patrick Sullivan. But those only come along about every 20-30 years.

Three Heisman winners in 39 years is a little better than every 20-30 years.

If you broaden that to Heisman candidates receiving votes, it's reasonable to expect them more frequently:

Jim "Red" Phillips, end, 1957

Ed Dyas, fullback/linebacker/place-kicker, 1960 (3 years)

Jimmy Sidle, quarterback, 1963 (3 years)

Tucker Frederickson, fullback/defensive back, 1964 (1 year)

Pat Sullivan, quarterback, 1970 (6 years)

Pat Sullivan, quarterback, 1971 (1 year)

Bo Jackson, running back, 1985 (14 years)

Brent Fullwood, running back, 1986 (1 year)

Rudi Johnson, running back, 2000 (14 years)

Jason Campbell, quarterback, 2004 (4 years)

Cam Newton, quarterback, 2010 (6 years)

Tre Mason, running back, 2013 (3 years)

(List from al.com article)

When you take into account that Auburn was not a very good team during much of the longer gaps in that list, it is not unrealistic to expect Jeremy Johnson (or Jovon Robinson, Roc Thomas, or Duke Williams) to be in the Heisman conversation in 2015.

Very interesting post there, WarEagle84. Outside of those 2 14 year gaps thats pretty impressive. However I think its unrealistic to expect JJ, Robinson, or Roc for Heisman contention based on the simple fact that we don't really know how they will be as full time players - and in the SEC in Robinson's case. Although I do agree that Duke could make it to NY because he has shown he's a boss.

Very interesting post there, WarEagle84. Outside of those 2 14 year gaps thats pretty impressive. However I think its unrealistic to expect JJ, Robinson, or Roc for Heisman contention based on the simple fact that we don't really know how they will be as full time players - and in the SEC in Robinson's case. Although I do agree that Duke could make it to NY because he has shown he's a boss.

Duke's too fat to be very good. :big:

Three Heisman winners in 39 years is a little better than every 20-30 years.

If you broaden that to Heisman candidates receiving votes, it's reasonable to expect them more frequently:

Jim "Red" Phillips, end, 1957

Ed Dyas, fullback/linebacker/place-kicker, 1960 (3 years)

Jimmy Sidle, quarterback, 1963 (3 years)

Tucker Frederickson, fullback/defensive back, 1964 (1 year)

Pat Sullivan, quarterback, 1970 (6 years)

Pat Sullivan, quarterback, 1971 (1 year)

Bo Jackson, running back, 1985 (14 years)

Brent Fullwood, running back, 1986 (1 year)

Rudi Johnson, running back, 2000 (14 years)

Jason Campbell, quarterback, 2004 (4 years)

Cam Newton, quarterback, 2010 (6 years)

Tre Mason, running back, 2013 (3 years)

(List from al.com article)

When you take into account that Auburn was not a very good team during much of the longer gaps in that list, it is not unrealistic to expect Jeremy Johnson (or Jovon Robinson, Roc Thomas, or Duke Williams) to be in the Heisman conversation in 2015.

Talking about the players in each respective position, not overall.

I don't know that people are expecting him to be Auburn's next Heisman winner, but physically he has all of the tools to do so. I think that people see the potential for him to be great, considering 1) his past performance 2) the system that he is going to be playing in, and 3) the pieces that he has around him.

In my opinion, Jeremy will have a fantastic year. Will he win the Heisman? Who knows. Other than Mariota, someone relatively unknown at the beginning of the season has gone on to win the Heisman. If you ask me, this is because we usually hype these players up so much, that even though they have great seasons, they usually don't meet the insane expectations that we set.

A perfect example of this was Johnny Manziel. His RS Freshman season, he came in as an unknown and made plays that were unconventional and made for good highlight tapes. He won the heisman that year. His RS Sophomore season, he began the year in the midst of controversy, and was a relative known. He still made insane plays and was all over SportsCenter, and statistically his stats were even better than the previous year, yet he finished FIFTH in the Heisman polls. Some of this can be accounted to his poor public image, but it can also be attributed to him being known, and his stats being expected.

One of the biggest things going for JJ in the heisman race is his relative anonymity. Outside of Alabama, I don't think many would be able to pick him out of a lineup, and that is a good thing. Should he put up yards, it will be unexpected by the masses and it will give him increased momentum going into the Heisman voting.

Manziel deserved the Heisman more than any other player in the world that year tbh.

Probably one of the biggest robberies in football history.

Archived