Jeremy Johnson

Lowrider

As far as: "f you have even a Sonny Dykes level coordinator, you should be able to have done something productive with Cam"

Urban Whiner (who just win a natty with OSU) told Cam his best shot into the NFL was playing Tight End. So no, not everyone can do with Cam what Gus did!

Urban had Tebow. I highly doubt he was paying much of any attention to Cameron. If it was between Cam and some noob, then I'm sure Urban would've made Cam just as good. Did you see Ohio State this year? No Miller, J.T, no J.T, Cardale. I'm sure Meyer would've said something similar about Jones if anyone actually knew the guy existed.

"not paying much of any attention to Cameron" So then Gus paid no attention to JJ the past two seasons? Gus told JJ he would be better at TE or WR? You're smoking that stuff again I see.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could one compare Pat Sullivan's legacy at AU to Johnny Manziel's at Texas A&M?

Depends on how TAMU does under Sumlin. In Sullivan's best 2 years and the immediate future year, AUB went 25-9

In that same span for TAMU and Manziel, they went 28-11. TAMU played 5 more games. AUB had a higher winning %.

I don't know what noticeable impact Sullivan brought in the future as Jordan was gone and Auburn didn't have another good season till 1979.

As far as: "f you have even a Sonny Dykes level coordinator, you should be able to have done something productive with Cam"

Urban Whiner (who just win a natty with OSU) told Cam his best shot into the NFL was playing Tight End. So no, not everyone can do with Cam what Gus did!

Urban had Tebow. I highly doubt he was paying much of any attention to Cameron. If it was between Cam and some noob, then I'm sure Urban would've made Cam just as good. Did you see Ohio State this year? No Miller, J.T, no J.T, Cardale. I'm sure Meyer would've said something similar about Jones if anyone actually knew the guy existed.

"not paying much of any attention to Cameron" So then Gus paid no attention to JJ the past two seasons? Gus told JJ he would be better at TE or WR? You're smoking that stuff again I see.

No one asked for Cameron to be put in the starting line up for their two years, because A. Tebow was a god in college B. Cam did absolutely nothing substantial at Florida

Meanwhile, Marshall had several games in 2013 where he didn't look good as a passer, and then Jeremy would play in the easy games and look like Aaron Rodgers outside of the playoffs. So yeah, Malzahn had no choice but to answer something about Jeremy all the time. Even in 2014 early on after the Arkansas game, he got asked questions. It's a completely different situation than Urban-Tebow-Cameron.

Cam had to compete for the backup spot at Florida

He just didn't get the backup spot, he went out and fought for it. Not as a starter, as a backup. I don't think anyone really knows how bad or how good Cam looked at UF, maybe Urban had reasonable doubts.

The Competition Is all coach talk. JJ is the guy. Coaches want JJ to be more vocal and in command. I think raw talent wise JJ might be close to Cam, just need to see how he reacts under really knowing he is in charge. Remember CGM did not even name Cam starter till a couple weeks after spring workouts, reason was Cam's clowning around and even into the fall practice he worried about Cam's attitude, you have heard from players about Cam doing up and downs and running sprint from making Gus mad. JJ has that same swag confidence that Cam had and Gus prefers he was more humble. Unless I am truly missing something I think a new AU legend is about to premier this fall. WDE

Again? He stays on it.

Again? He stays on it.

Yep,makes me want to slap someone.

Yea its high school but he can use his legs when he has to!

I know. Watch the video of his touchdown pass against Arkansas. He is the first one to congratulate Melvin. Pretty fast

Again? He stays on it.

:lol: Yep and its got to be some powerful stuff too.

I hate to be a downer but I am concerned, the last time in 2012 that Auburn did not have a running quarterback, well we all know what happened. I am talking about the speed to bring the ball down and run around the end for a touchdown. Marshall could do it. I don't know about any quarterbacks on the roster now. Just passing , ain't gonna get it done. You must make the opposing defenses respect the quarterback run to open up the passing game. Thats's just my two cents. And that's about what it is worth I'll admit.

I hate to be a downer but I am concerned, the last time in 2012 that Auburn did not have a running quarterback, well we all know what happened. I am talking about the speed to bring the ball down and run around the end for a touchdown. Marshall could do it. I don't know about any quarterbacks on the roster now. Just passing , ain't gonna get it done. You must make the opposing defenses respect the quarterback run to open up the passing game. Thats's just my two cents. And that's about what it is worth I'll admit.

JJ is fast enough to keep even the best college defenses honest, so no need for concern there. Heck, as I understand it, Sean White- while not as fast as JJ- isn't a statue in the pocket. A Quarterback with CB speed isn't essential, just someone with the ability to make something happen when he has to. JJ has that and much more.

Brandon Cox was a statue and he did pretty good. Jason Campbell was probably less mobile than JJ and we all know how that went.

The running game with JJ will look a lot more like the running game with Cam than it did with Marshall. Cam Newton didn't run a great deal of zone read either at AU. It was more inside power/inverted veer**...and on 3rd or 4th down and short yardage, if AU will fans will recall, having a 6'5" inch 240 pound QB running power was just about unstoppable

JJ is in another league passing the ball compared to Marshall. And JJ can run the ball. AU will be just fine. Comparisons to 2012 (Loeffler!) are ridiculous.

**On edit...

Listen to what JJ had to say about the running game starting around 20 seconds in

Yep, The Marshall plan's no more. The king has left the building. The cupboard is bare. And the sky is falling... the sky... the sky.

I suggest you so a LOT more homework. Both on the 2012 Auburn team and on Gus Malzahn as a coach. If you think QB was our only problem in 2012 then there isn't much hope for you. Malzahn wasn't here in 2012 in case you forgot (or didn't know). If you knew anything at all about Malzahn's offense you would know he tailors the offense to his QB's strengths. Again, do some homework.

A QB with CB speed was awesome to watch the past 2 years on the ground. And it bailed us out of mannnnny 3rd downs. However, the pass game was extremely restricted. JJ seems to have solid speed. Not great, but certainly not Tom Brady slow.

The bigger question for me is will JJ have enough pocket presence to know when to tuck and run or will he sit back and wait, and wait, until he gets sacked (like the Panthers version of Cam Newton).

Also, don't forget that if it doesn't work out with having a pass-first quarterback (which I think it will, but just for arguments sake), we did bring in the #1 JUCO athlete in Jason Smith, who is taking reps during spring at QB. He is a run-first type of QB (similar to Marshall), and (according to HUDL), ran a 4.47 second 40-yard dash as a Senior in HS.

Also remember that there is a reason that Scott Loeffler is no longer our offensive coordinator. We tried to put a square peg into a round hole with his offense, and the results were clear.

Its a wonder anyone ever speaks their mind on this site, cause the personal attacks are sure to follow. But , Auburn football is an emotional topic so it makes sense. War Eagle and can anyone hurry up the kick off time? Geesh

Again? He stays on it.

Yep,makes me want to slap someone.

I think a lot of people viewed Auburn after the 2010 team with Cam as a one hit wonder. They had a once in a generation player and the stars just seemed to line up. The two following years did nothing to dispel that notion.

That's fair and I could see that. But the recruiting didn't really slip since then, and I think great players consider AU because they saw Cam dominate at AU and that alone has elevated AU's status from as recently as 6-7 years ago, IMO

AU's recruiting took a quantum leap forward under Chizik. If you'll recall, the conspiracy theories about Cam started on other message boards on large part because Auburn, who typically ranked in the top 25 range, suddenly shot up to a top 5 class in 2010. One of CGC's criteria for hiring assistants was recruiting ability, and that has continued under Gus. Cam and the NC certainly didn't hurt recruiting, but it seems like recruiting has been a more intentional focus in recent years.

I'm not even sure how you can say you're a football fan if the ultimate goal every season isn't to make a title, at least. Obviously improvement is something you want to see, like in 2013 coming off of 2012. But with a top 10 team, a very expensive coaching staff, and a great offense, I wanted us to get back to winning titles.

The vast majority of football fans cheer for a team whose greatest aspirations are to make a bowl game at the end of the year. Are they not true football fans? After the disappointments of 83 and 04, I feared I would never see a national championship in Auburn in my lifetime. I feel very fortunate to cheer for a team that should be a legitimate contender for many future championships, but that should not be a prerequisite to being a football fan, or even an Auburn fan.

Its a wonder anyone ever speaks their mind on this site, cause the personal attacks are sure to follow. But , Auburn football is an emotional topic so it makes sense. War Eagle and can anyone hurry up the kick off time? Geesh

This site is tame compared to most.

Archived