DOJ Won't Prosecute Wilson

Proud Tiger

I have to disagree, David. I think they did find some things of significance. And I don't think they went in expecting to find mass coverups of negligent homicide. I do think they found less than some people expected. But they also found more than the Pollyannas who support anything policemen say or do just because they have a badge. There are troubling indicators, incidents and practices that do help one understand why there is so much mistrust in the black community in Ferguson. To be dismissive of that is to totally misread the results.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "conservatives" are sure to be disappointed. This sound, and rational report by DoJ shows they arent the organization the usuals have been crowing about here since last summer.

It's amazing isn't it? The DOJ comes out with the judgement they would presumably favor and it's a "waste of taxpayer money"? :dunno:

What BETTER use of taxpayer money is there than on a fair, impartial judicial system?

There's just no logic to these sentiments, unless they are implying the people in this case didn't deserve the judicial effort.

So THAT is the reason for wasting time and tax $$$.......

Yeah let's keep those black folks down huh? What a waste of money. Sarc off. I bet if I got a look at your email inbox I'd find some just like the ones mentioned above.

Soooo, since I am against (what was obvious to everyone) a total and complete waste of time and money in order for barry and holder to make political points...I am a racist? What a sad and pathetic point of view.if you only knew how utterly wrong you are. But, my guess is you grew accustomed to being wrong long ago.......

It wasn't a waste of time and money. And I'm far from anything resembling an Eric Holder fan.

If all they did was demonstrate to the people of Ferguson that an objective view of the evidence from someone they would be more likely to trust and see as an ally results in the same decision on Wilson's actions, it was worth doing that.

But also, it was worth it because there is definitely a problem there. Sure there are idiots fanning the flames for their own reasons, but there are plenty of normal black folks in that town that have grown to distrust their own police department. The investigation gave some possible reasons why that is. It was worth looking into and hopefully getting some of this stuff in the light will result in some changes, perhaps some idiots losing their jobs and being replaced by more respectful officers and maybe the community can heal.

Well stated.

Agreed. That was well-stated. Titan thinks things through before posting.

The criticism coming from the "usual suspects" is just so wrong-headed it's bizarre.

How can you possibly criticize this investigation for even taking place without some nefarious reason for thinking that?

Waste of taxpayer money my .. :-\

I have to disagree, David. I think they did find some things of significance. And I don't think they went in expecting to find mass coverups of negligent homicide. I do think they found less than some people expected. But they also found more than the Pollyannas who support anything policemen say or do just because they have a badge. There are troubling indicators, incidents and practices that do help one understand why there is so much mistrust in the black community in Ferguson. To be dismissive of that is to totally misread the results.

The interesting paradox the DoJs finding results in is this. On the one hand, the DoJs investigation found out that Ofc Wilson acted well within his rights to defend himself from a thug who resisted arrest and refused to surrender. On the other hand and not surprisingly, that finding proves that the entire reason for the riots and the looting and burning and ALL those "hands up dont shoot" protests were based on lies. I think most people are fully aware that we do not live in a perfect world. Eric Holder could find racism anywhere he wants to if his investigation can prove Wilson's innocence but then conclude that some of those protesters were right. Wait, what? This is a joke and I dont think that the result does anything beyond exonerate Wilson who BTW will now have to live the rest of his life in some degree of fear that some leftist loon who refuses to accept the outcome of the investigation is going to shoot him or someone in his family about something that is a proven lie. Sure there are bad actors in police departments. There are bad actors in every profession but in this case the one who precipitated all the mayhem wasn't one of them.

USN, We get it now. Ferguson is full of racists, even if there is almost ZERO evidence there according to the DOJ.

This sounds far more like sour grapes than FPD literally out there being the racial boogie men we were told they were a few months ago.. It isnt good at all, but when you were looking for a squad room of smoking guns and all you get is a hand full of emails and few random anecdotes that express only one side, that really doesnt look like much at this point. Is FPD a great police force? Hell no. But they are looking for minutiae now to just get out of Ferguson with some dignity.

The DOJ came in looking for negligent homicide, manslaughter, maybe murder, & hate crimes, etc

They left with almost nothing except a penchant for crying wolf way too loud and way too often.

We got Ferguson looted. The DA and the FPD were smeared mercilessly by the DOJ and the media.

At the end we find out the DOJ actually had just about bupkis.

Wonder how much time, money, and effort was wasted at Ferguson?

DK, that's just a warped perspective on this. The investigation found what it found and reported it. That's what investigations do.

To make light of the overt racism demonstrated by the FDP because they DOJ didn't find anything worse or didn't find reason to bring charges is irrational.

I can not understand those of you who wish to make this an "all or nothing" discussion. What is your motivation, politics, race, both, neither?

I don't think they are "listening" to themselves. <_<

When you're not the people being oppressed or mistreated of course it would never be a big deal....

When you're not the people being oppressed or mistreated of course it would never be a big deal....

Bingo!

In this case..."the big deal" was a lie.

The interesting paradox the DoJs finding results in is this. On the one hand, the DoJs investigation found out that Ofc Wilson acted well within his rights to defend himself from a thug who resisted arrest and refused to surrender. On the other hand and not surprisingly, that finding proves that the entire reason for the riots and the looting and burning and ALL those "hands up dont shoot" protests were based on lies. I think most people are fully aware that we do not live in a perfect world. Eric Holder could find racism anywhere he wants to if his investigation can prove Wilson's innocence but then conclude that some of those protesters were right. Wait, what? This is a joke and I dont think that the result does anything beyond exonerate Wilson who BTW will now have to live the rest of his life in some degree of fear that some leftist loon who refuses to accept the outcome of the investigation is going to shoot him or someone in his family about something that is a proven lie. Sure there are bad actors in police departments. There are bad actors in every profession but in this case the one who precipitated all the mayhem wasn't one of them.

Well, that's at least that's an indirect acknowledgment the investigation wasn't "a waste of money" for Officer Wilson. Sort of.

Its weird that you tried to say it like the investigation did more harm to his case than good. You folks sure do go through some rhetorical gymnastics to service your prejudices.

Some people just lack the ability to empathize. I find that scary in the same way I find anti-social personality disorders scary.

I think you missed his point. Completely. Perhaps you need to listen better.

Well, that's at least that's an indirect acknowledgment the investigation wasn't "a waste of money" for Officer Wilson. Sort of.

Its weird that you tried to say it like the investigation did more harm to his case than good. You folks sure do go through some rhetorical gymnastics to service your prejudices.

Nope my point was that its finding flew in the face of all the lies that precipitated the lawlessness that IIRC you were in here vigorously defending. Most of you people were so invested in vilifying Wilson's racism you couldn't see ANYTHING beyond your manufactured righteous indignation which in the end was proven a waste of time and energy

That is kind of a blanket statement Cole. Believe it or not, there are those among us that desire all persons to be treated fairly.

That is kind of a blanket statement Cole. Believe it or not, there are those among us that desire all persons to be treated fairly.

And of course, those who do not. Why do we need to dismiss or minimize either? (Not referring to you specifically, 78)

The interesting paradox the DoJs finding results in is this. On the one hand, the DoJs investigation found out that Ofc Wilson acted well within his rights to defend himself from a thug who resisted arrest and refused to surrender. On the other hand and not surprisingly, that finding proves that the entire reason for the riots and the looting and burning and ALL those "hands up dont shoot" protests were based on lies.

Only if you really think the protests were based on the Michael Brown situation rather than the that situation being the "straw the broke the camel's back." Yes, the "hands up don't shoot" narrative was not true. But they didn't go from a community happy with its police force and feeling no racial intimidation, unequal treatment and so on to mad as hell and burning s*** because of one perceived incident of excessive force by a policeman. When taken in the broader scheme, the reason for the riots was not based on a lie. The final catalyst was, but not the underlying reason.

I think most people are fully aware that we do not live in a perfect world. Eric Holder could find racism anywhere he wants to if his investigation can prove Wilson's innocence but then conclude that some of those protesters were right. Wait, what? This is a joke and I dont think that the result does anything beyond exonerate Wilson who BTW will now have to live the rest of his life in some degree of fear that some leftist loon who refuses to accept the outcome of the investigation is going to shoot him or someone in his family about something that is a proven lie. Sure there are bad actors in police departments. There are bad actors in every profession but in this case the one who precipitated all the mayhem wasn't one of them.

It's not Holder's fault you refuse to think beyond a surface level understanding of racial dynamics.

Any major case that has received media it was either lies, or spun, or something like that let most on the board tell it.....coincidence? On this board Wilson is a victim, Martin was looking for trouble and got what HE deserved, Garner shouldn't have been fat and it wasn't the guy choking him and pressing all his weight on his head that caused his death.

Investigating an officer is jumping to conclusions, then a video is posted of an untrained civilian shooting targets to make a point to say look how quick a mistake can happen.

This board is flooded with stories someone saying something is racist that is questionable or overturned, yet all the different videos of policemen being racist aren't on here...

Then my favorite with anything that is wrong guarantee you will see something like I say this all the time or is that all? I thought it was going to be this, well both sides were wrong

Nope my point was that its finding flew in the face of all the lies that precipitated the lawlessness that IIRC you were in here vigorously defending. Most of you people were so invested in vilifying Wilson's racism you couldn't see ANYTHING beyond your manufactured righteous indignation which in the end was proven a waste of time and energy

:dunno: That's nuts!

You not only don't understand - or aren't willing to admit - that this investigation was a tremendous positive for officer Wilson, you apparently don't even understand the purpose of the investigation to begin with!

And you've resorted to impugning the motivations of those who disagree with you. What bitterness you spew. It's pathetic.

And of course, those who do not. Why do we need to dismiss or minimize either? (Not referring to you specifically, 78)

Who is minimizing anything? The DoJ found Wilson innocent. Im pretty sure most people are aware that racism exists but does that mean we need to obsess over it daily? America is not a racist country but because its not perfect doesn't mean that there is a racist under every bed in ever community.

This.

It's akin to a Bama person telling an Auburn person that Bama fans being snotty and acting superior toward Auburn fans is not really a thing or isn't a big deal. Exactly how Bama fan know? They aren't on the receiving end of it.

Both ways, believe it or not some people speak up and talk about unfair treatment because they want everyone to be treated fairly

Actually, I thought it was on point for this thread.

Several people in this forum have made a point about this investigation being a waste of time or money. That implies the families and community weren't worthy of having it. That's easy to say if doesn't affect you.

The irony here is the same people are simply ignoring or minimizing the overt racism found in the FDP. That clearly demonstrates a lack of empathy for the people of Ferguson. If they were a citizen of Ferguson - particularly a black citizen - they wouldn't feel that way.

Who is minimizing anything? The DoJ found Wilson innocent. Im pretty sure most people are aware that racism exists but does that mean we need to obsess over it daily? America is not a racist country but because its not perfect doesn't mean that there is a racist under every bed in ever community.

Well gee, is it OK if the DOJ investigation publishes their results? Is that "obsessing"?

Archived