New Scoreboard - Construction Progress

RunInRed

Looks like a lot of people just standing around to me...

Government project? :dunno:/>

Construction project. The next construction project I see that doesn't have four guys standing around waiting for one or two guys to finish something so that they can stop standing around will be the first. And for good reason.

Unions

While your Union point is valid in some states, Alabama is a right to work state and there are very few unions comparatively. Most workers standing around on sites in alabama are just lazy and haven't been fired for it yet or are waiting on someone to finish a certain part so they can do their part....Unions have very little to do with Alabama work as the local unions aren't actually crazy like the northern ones.

"Waiting on someone to finish a part so they can do their part" is the correct answer (And the only correct answer at that. People in union shops that don't pull their weight don't last long in union shops.)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That video board is gonna be HUGE!! I'll have to come down just to see it. Some serious engineering going on to support that thing, especially since Auburn is prone to experience some serious winds from supercells every now and then.

Construction project. The next construction project I see that doesn't have four guys standing around waiting for one or two guys to finish something so that they can stop standing around will be the first. And for good reason.

Unions

What in the world do onions have to do with construction?

They have layers....man.

And I understand about AL and right to work, mainly I was joking, but I did work a MS Brown and Root project in my younger days where the carpenter literally had to wait for an electrician to come plug his skil saw in for him, and similarly idiotic things.

You are correct about some unions. Some unions take their scope of work very seriously and you can be fired for doing someone else's job. The electrician to plug in a saw is actually pretty mild. I've seen a heavy equipment operator shut down for 4 hours waiting on a mechanic to to show up and tighten a loose hydraulic hose fitting (10 seconds worth of work that a 5 year old is capable of). That is just the tip of the iceberg. I've been in a local union and they are much more lenient around Alabama and very few job sites in Alabama are all union workers, right to work and all

Unions

What in the world do onions have to do with construction?

They have layers....man.

And I understand about AL and right to work, mainly I was joking, but I did work a MS Brown and Root project in my younger days where the carpenter literally had to wait for an electrician to come plug his skil saw in for him, and similarly idiotic things.

You are correct about some unions. Some unions take their scope of work very seriously and you can be fired for doing someone else's job. The electrician to plug in a saw is actually pretty mild. I've seen a heavy equipment operator shut down for 4 hours waiting on a mechanic to to show up and tighten a loose hydraulic hose fitting (10 seconds worth of work that a 5 year old is capable of). That is just the tip of the iceberg. I've been in a local union and they are much more lenient around Alabama and very few job sites in Alabama are all union workers, right to work and all

I have a friend who is in one of the unions, I think it was boilermakers but not certain. He worked up north for a while. If a light bulb went out they couldn't change it out themselves. They had to call am electrician to come do it.

It's a good thing I'm supervising this project daily. I had to crack the whip a little bit but we got some concrete poured yesterday. I told them they were going to have to pick up the pace.

It's a good thing I'm supervising this project daily. I had to crack the whip a little bit but we got some concrete poured yesterday. I told them they were going to have to pick up the pace.

Stay on them! I know we are all family but sometimes a dad needs to keep the kids focused.

Here's a picture of IronMan70 overseeing Project Jumbotron:

389px-Figures_The_Israelites%27_Cruel_Bondage_in_Egypt.jpg

Hey that's from my early years.

IronMan70 will go down in history as the man who drove to completion the 8th (how many wonders of the world are their these days?) wonder of the world.

I can hear it now- Over the PA system during game days.... "Please direct your attention to the IronMan70 Jumbotron"

Ladies and Gentlemen, the foundation is finished and as of 5 minutes ago the first section of the support structure is being lifted into place.

I wish I could take photos but I'm in Virginia. I had just tuned in the cam to do some supervising just as they were lifting what looked to be about a 30' high section of the support structure into place. Funny thing was, last night I had to refresh my cam bookmark and I saw the structure being delivered on a flatbed. I was surprised to see the floodlights on and them working at 11:30pm EST.

So, when this is all said and done, there's going to be more exposed painted steel beams? :big:

Its our thing..apparently. :)

It's kinda hard to make out from the live feed but I think I see it. ... Foundation Eagle, your ears on?

Sorry, been busy lately. Our part with the project has been completed. I don't have any info on the actual ground up operations. My main focus at the moment is on the Northern Beltline in Bham. It is not likely that I will get much more info on the inner details of the job from here on out as they are only given on a need to know basis. Seeing as we no longer have anyone on site, we aren't in the need to know loop anymore. When I have time I will watch the feed and give my input as to what I see happening. Other than that, I will update if I happen to hear anything. Sorry I can't be of more help in this part of the process.

Archived