2016 5* LB Ben Davis (Bama signee)

RunInRed

Ben Davis coming to Auburn would be like the Rashaan Evans commitment in reverse.

Don't see it happening.

There's one major difference here: Evans's dad hates Auburn, Davis's dad loves UAT. Davis to AU would be a much, much more difficult swing than was Evans.

Don't agree with this at all

Alan was a failure at Auburn-- Davis set a record for tackles. Alan blames Auburn for his failures. I don't know what/who he hates, but these two situations are clearly not analogous.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evans just had the bad timing to be recruited in the same year as Bo. Nobody saw Bo coming....then it was Fullwood. Stuff happens.... I'm sure he wasn't happy how it played out.

Ben Davis coming to Auburn would be like the Rashaan Evans commitment in reverse.

Don't see it happening.

There's one major difference here: Evans's dad hates Auburn, Davis's dad loves UAT. Davis to AU would be a much, much more difficult swing than was Evans.

Are you disagreeing with entire statement or just parts of it?

Don't see it happening.

Or are you just in disagreement in general?

Don't see it happening.

I don't think he hated or hates Auburn. I think Evans really didn't like the idea of playing the star position. I think he wants to rush the passer alot and they offered him to play a position where he would and we didn't. Think people blew the stuff out of proportion. And of course hindsight is 20/20 but really he was right as far as choosing to play for a better defense.

Then think about how all the players say practices and stiff are more intense now, when watching practices for us then going watching practices for them at the time maybe theirs were more physical, seems like our linebackers may not have been getting the best position coaching and back then Thompson was with them and everybody says how good of a coach he is. Maybe back then when being compared their defense was just more appealing. I read how Kyle Davis said he noticed a school works harder than another.

I also think if this coaching staff now was the staff when he came out he probably would be playing for us. All that is my opinion of course and it's no greater than anybody else but from my experiences especially on these boards when it comes to knowing personal stuff like a players father hates a school or coach and all of that, it has rarely been right.

Don't see it happening.

I don't think he hated or hates Auburn. I think Evans really didn't like the idea of playing the star position. I think he wants to rush the passer alot and they offered him to play a position where he would and we didn't. Think people blew the stuff out of proportion. And of course hindsight is 20/20 but really he was right as far as choosing to play for a better defense.

Then think about how all the players say practices and stiff are more intense now, when watching practices for us then going watching practices for them at the time maybe theirs were more physical, seems like our linebackers may not have been getting the best position coaching and back then Thompson was with them and everybody says how good of a coach he is. Maybe back then when being compared their defense was just more appealing. I read how Kyle Davis said he noticed a school works harder than another.

I also think if this coaching staff now was the staff when he came out he probably would be playing for us. All that is my opinion of course and it's no greater than anybody else but from my experiences especially on these boards when it comes to knowing personal stuff like a players father hates a school or coach and all of that, it has rarely been right.

Fair enough hate is a big word to use but I knew Alan back in the day and he did leave Auburn lets just say not to happy and he was really discourage at how his football career ended. I will admit I have not stayed in contact with him in the last 25 years. So who knows

Don't know Ben's dad so I have no input on his feelings for bammers.... assume they are good.

Not a hate situation at all with Davis. Not sure where that came from. I guess it could be inferred per Alan Evans. but not even remotely what I was referring to.

Ben Davis' dad (Wayne Davis) was a star LB at Bammer. If Ben were to chose Auburn over Alabama, the Bammer fans and the media would make it equivalent to the Evans saga. This is what I was referring to.

Don't see it happening.

Totally agree.

I don't think he hated or hates Auburn. I think Evans really didn't like the idea of playing the star position. I think he wants to rush the passer a lot and they offered him to play a position where he would and we didn't. Think people blew the stuff out of proportion. And of course hindsight is 20/20 but really he was right as far as choosing to play for a better defense.

Fair enough hate is a big word to use but I knew Alan back in the day and he did leave Auburn lets just say not to happy and he was really discourage at how his football career ended. I will admit I have not stayed in contact with him in the last 25 years. So who knows

Don't know Ben's dad so I have no input on his feelings for bammers.... assume they are good.

Yes it's pretty obvious really. Davis has a far better relationship with his permanent school than A. Evans had with his part time school. On things like this it's best to look more at what they do, than what they say. They had a preplanned clown show at the birthday party to dis the coaches, sold their store to get out of town right after signing day, then did a media swing to say how "mean" AU fans were. So no, this was about a whole lot more than Evans playing the star position.

On Ben Davis, the chances are very slim with him, but as they say, there is always that one chance.

I don't think he hated or hates Auburn. I think Evans really didn't like the idea of playing the star position. I think he wants to rush the passer a lot and they offered him to play a position where he would and we didn't. Think people blew the stuff out of proportion. And of course hindsight is 20/20 but really he was right as far as choosing to play for a better defense.

Yes it's pretty obvious really. Davis has a far better relationship with his permanent school than A. Evans had with his part time school. On things like this it's best to look more at what they do, than what they say. They had a preplanned clown show at the birthday party to dis the coaches, sold their store to get out of town right after signing day, then did a media swing to say how "mean" AU fans were. So no, this was about a whole lot more than Evans playing the star position.

On Ben Davis, the chances are very slim with him, but as they say, there is always that one chance.

Lloyd Christmas: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?

Mary Swanson: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...

Lloyd Christmas: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Mary Swanson: Not good.

Lloyd Christmas: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary Swanson: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lloyd Christmas: So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!

Like that's really funny to me but yeah it was a big sabotage plan to......destroy Auburn? Lol. It's just funny to me nobody looks at our defense sucked....every conspiracy theory but that...sold their business....ummm yeah why wouldn't they how many of you would go shop there. But everybody has an opinion I guess.

Was Davis dad a linebacker as well? I think that makes a difference as well

Like that's really funny to me but yeah it was a big sabotage plan to......destroy Auburn? Lol. It's just funny to me nobody looks at our defense sucked....every conspiracy theory but that...sold their business....ummm yeah why wouldn't they how many of you would go shop there. But everybody has an opinion I guess.

That's right, nobody would probably shop there. But that would only be a consideration if they didn't choose Auburn right ? However, you don't sell a business overnight. Which means what ? The decision was made on the school and the wheels put in motion to sell the business long before the announcement. In the meantime, the dog and pony show continued for weeks, both before and AFTER the announcement. So it was the manner which they conducted themselves that mattered and proved to most of us at the time they had ulterior motives. As far as the present, they are non-issues.

Oh, well I think when a child is playing the same position as their father played they like the thought of going to the same school as their parents even more

That's right, nobody would probably shop there. But that would only be a consideration if they didn't choose Auburn right ? However, you don't sell a business overnight. Which means what ? The decision was made on the school and the wheels put in motion to sell the business long before the announcement. In the meantime, the dog and pony show continued for weeks, both before and AFTER the announcement. So it was the manner which they conducted themselves that mattered and proved to most of us at the time they had ulterior motives. As far as the present, they are non-issues.

Most of that is still speculation and none of it really is nothing different than many kids do. I'm not saying that he didn't know where he was going until the exact day of signing but I just don't buy the conspiracy theory of he hated Auburn so much that he waited for his son to become a major project then formed a plan to overtake Auburn in general....and yet still our defense sucked and we were recruiting him to play a position that not only him but many kids don't want to play. All what you said could be true it's sure is complicated and alot of seems to me...But then something simple like he likes rushing the qb and we offered him a position that you get to play alot of coverage is scoffed at.

Bet if the same staff was offering that to Holland he'd signed with Florida and then said he wants to rush the passer

What was wrong with the Star position...sounds awesome...was it so terrible they had to give it a fancy name to attract players?

Most of that is still speculation and none of it really is nothing different than many kids do. I'm not saying that he didn't know where he was going until the exact day of signing but I just don't buy the conspiracy theory of he hated Auburn so much that he waited for his son to become a major project then formed a plan to overtake Auburn in general....and yet still our defense sucked and we were recruiting him to play a position that not only him but many kids don't want to play. All what you said could be true it's sure is complicated and alot of seems to me...But then something simple like he likes rushing the qb and we offered him a position that you get to play alot of coverage is scoffed at.

Bet if the same staff was offering that to Holland he'd signed with Florida and then said he wants to rush the passer

It's not about the performance of the defense. Evans would likely not have made a significant difference on that front, regardless, because our primary issue was not being able to get to the quarterback without sending any more players than the front 4.

Furthermore, you're looking at it as if it's being said that he had some dastardly plan cooked up years in advance, when it's more likely that he was offered the opportunity to thumb his nose at his former school while still providing himself with a new place to set up shop. That isn't to say the recruitment to the Star position didn't play into it; perhaps he expected Auburn to offer his son a scholarship to play whatever position he desired, and when the preferential treatment didn't materialize he started setting things in motion. You have to know the REC would have been all ears about that, after all.

What was wrong with the Star position...sounds awesome...was it so terrible they had to give it a fancy name to attract players?

No, pretty sure that was because of negative recruiting from other schools due to the fact that there aren't a whole lot of teams in the NFL that run a 4-2-5 defense, thus making it more difficult to transition from one level to the next. Personally, I'm STILL a fan of the 4-2-5...but it doesn't work without a consistent push from the front four, which we weren't able to maintain without Lawson.

If he played for them don't see why he couldn't have played for us but I'm saying what they may have seen in practices or whatnot.

And I'm looking at it as to what was said his dad hates Auburn. I don't agree with that. Still to this day doesn't seem like anybody knows. I'm just going off of track record of what I've seen since I've been following recruiting when our fan base doesn't like a person I have seen alot of stuff fabricated so I'm just not believing that. I do know the most important thing to recruits coming out usually is playing time and where they will play.

I saw wayne davis play when he was a senior at gordo, and I saw ben play Saturday night....wayne was a far better player than ben is, and had much better instincts ....ben has a lot of athletic ability, but I won't be upset if he goes to crapstone...

It is ? It's speculation that you don't sell a business overnight ? No, that is personal experience. It's speculation that there was a dog and pony show for weeks ? Well no, that's exactly what the setup at the birthday party was to make the coaches look ridiculous a couple days later. That is what the media tour was after the announcement, accusing the AU fans of being "mean".

It is not some big conspiracy, I agree. It is just the reality of the way they conducted themselves and that lends a lot of credibility to what is being said. You can disregard it and that's fine, we often agree on things. But when certain people in a position to know state things about the A. Evans' motives, especially in light of what we actually saw transpire, you really can't expect the rest of us to suspend all logic.

I hate bringing up old stuff but Evans definitely lied to our coaches saying he was coming here. Gotta be a reason he did that, I can't say what for sure.

I'd feel good about Davis to bama if I was them.

Ok like I said we can both believe what we believe and I'm cool with that. As far as people in the know I feel like I am one of them or at least one of my best friends is and other stuff (as far as personal matters like this when people get emotional or whatnot) things have been inaccurate in the past so that's why I think what I think it's cool, just my opinion

The fact he also invited Roberts and Mitchell to his commitment day was odd as well. They were known AU commits and went to Auburn Highs rival Opelika High. Why invite them? I just don't believe he decided that veey morning to go to Alabama.

Cole, I usually agree with the way you look at most subjects but there is too much evidence on this matter to not give credence to what Ironman and Mikey are saying.

Archived