2016 5* LB Ben Davis (Bama signee)

RunInRed

It was stated earlier in the thread by someone knowledgeable in such matters that Davis is actually quite open to Auburn. According to that same person, he will end up at bama, because they will Kouandjio him if they have to. But I don't think we need to fear anything shady from the kid at this point.

I agree.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lance Thompson spotted the BS in Wilson pretty quick. So I'm not worried about that. Also, I doubt there would be many recruits around for Ben to influence on Aug 7th. At that time, I was always busy with two a days and I imagine most recruits will be as well.

Rumor is they are sending folks in to sway the AU ballboy.

Lance Thompson spotted the BS in Wilson pretty quick. So I'm not worried about that. Also, I doubt there would be many recruits around for Ben to influence on Aug 7th. At that time, I was always busy with two a days and I imagine most recruits will be as well.

Why there should be hell to pay!

because they will Kouandjio him if they have to.

What do you mean by that? Serious question, I just always figured he changed his mind for family.

Not sure. His parents forced him to go to Bama to play with his bro. Parents have to sign NLIs too.

What do you mean by that? Serious question, I just always figured he changed his mind for family.

It was kind of a joke.

They couldn't catch him to sway him.

They couldn't catch him to sway him.

I know what you did there. Nice!

Not sure. His parents forced him to go to Bama to play with his bro. Parents have to sign NLIs too.

Yep. He wanted to play at AU. uat threatened to pull his brother scholly. His parents had no choice.

I'm told Ben and his family are class acts and Ben would not step on any campus and recruit for another school.

It was stated earlier in the thread by someone knowledgeable in such matters that Davis is actually quite open to Auburn. According to that same person, he will end up at bama, because they will Kouandjio him if they have to. But I don't think we need to fear anything shady from the kid at this point.

Not going to Kouandjio him. Just I've been around this recruiting stuff for 30 plus years. uat just isn't going to let Ben go to AU.

Back in AU Aug 8 with his family

Per Bonehead on twitter.

The kiss of death. Bone doesn't know anything unless it's all $puat.

He actually has some good sources in the state of Alabama. National, nope.

uat has to get some form of Auburn interest in Davis so they can crow about how they beat us out for Davis. I would be shocked if we have any real opportunity with him. We blew off Wilson so we should be careful not to be played by one of their legacy.

AU isn't being played by Davis.

Not going to Kouandjio him. Just I've been around this recruiting stuff for 30 plus years. uat just isn't going to let Ben go to AU.

Yeah, rereading that, I put some words in your mouth as a joke but I totally whiffed on the execution. My bad. Thanks as always for your insight.

Yep. He wanted to play at AU. uat threatened to pull his brother scholly. His parents had no choice.

I have a hard time believing this. There's no way in a hundred years they would have pulled Arie's scholarship. I mean, that's extortion we're talking about. That's a pretty serious accusation.

His parents forcing the issue I believe, but I don't believe for a second that Arie's scholarship was ever threatened.

My. 02

I have a hard time believing this. There's no way in a hundred years they would have pulled Arie's scholarship. I mean, that's extortion we're talking about. That's a pretty serious accusation.

His parents forcing the issue I believe, but I don't believe for a second that Arie's scholarship was ever threatened.

My. 02

Don't see how u have a hard time believing this (don't mean this to sound brash btw). WDE is not the type to say things like that without some kind of knowledge. Also, do u not think it's some type of extortion telling these kids things, getting them to burn bridges etc, only to tell them "oh you don't have a commitable offer from us, you can grey shirt though"? I don't put anything past alabama, I really don't.

My. 02

I was told this directly by a former AU coach. Extortion? Scholly's are only year to year. Damn straight uat would have pulled his brothers. They pull kids scholly's every year if the player does not preform. Medical hardships is the "reason". uat will do anything to win. ANYTHING. Never forget this.

My. 02

I don't either. Arie was too good of a talent just to let walk. He was a second team AP all American his last year.

Saw this posted on an UAT message board around the time this whole ordeal happened:

"Several on air personalities (some around the state in Huntsville) and some national (Fbaum) are claiming that CNS has threatened to pull Arie's scholarship if Cyrus doesn't sign with us. Very ridiculous, but it is being stated."

My. 02

Don't see how u have a hard time believing this (don't mean this to sound in a brash tone btw). WDE is not the type to say things like that without some kind of knowledge. Also, do u not think it's some type of extortion telling these kids things, getting them to burn bridges etc, only to tell them "oh you don't have a commitable offer from us, you can grey shirt though"? I don't put anything past alabama, I really don't.

Yeah, I wouldn't put most things past them either. And, you're right, WDE is one of the better posters here, which did give me some pause, but what you are describing is far less serious than holding another current player's scholarship hostage. It's the difference between questionable ethics and recruitment practices, and a felony. That's kind of where I like to draw the line when talking about what other programs might are doing.

I'm just saying that its an empty threat. Alabama would never pull Arie's scholarship, first because he was a valuable player, and second because in doing so they would essentially open themselves up to a complete onslaught from the family, their lawyers, the media and the NcAA. For a program that cheats as well and as often as many of you believe, this theory makes even less sense.

My. 02

I was told this directly by a former AU coach. Extortion? Scholly's are only year to year. Damn straight uat would have pulled his brothers. They pull kids scholly's every year if the player does not preform. Medical hardships is the "reason". uat will do anything to win. ANYTHING. Never forget this.

If they told Cyrus that they would pull Arie's scholarship if he didn't sign, then that would, in my very limited view of the law, constitute extortion.

And I hope this doesn't sound like anything personal against you or anyone here who believes this, its not, I promise.

My. 02

If they told Cyrus that they would pull Arie's scholarship if he didn't sign, then that would, in my very limited view of the law, constitute extortion.

And I hope this doesn't sound like anything personal against you or anyone here who believes this, its not, I promise.

Negative ghost rider. Under Alabama Code 13A-8-13 extortion is defined as knowingly obtaining by threat control of the property of another, with the intent to deprive him of that property.

My. 02

Negative ghost rider. Under Alabama Code 13A-8-13 extortion is defined as knowingly obtaining by threat control of the property of another, with the intent to deprive him of that property.

So, it's not extortion under the legal definition; but it's certainly a sort of unethical coercion.

I believe WDE when he says a coach told him the story. Maybe the story came straight from Cyrus, as an explanation for why he signed with Bama. Maybe it's true, and maybe it's a white lie. It seemed pretty clear at the time that Cyrus wanted to play for Auburn and something happened to make him change his mind.

Back to Davis, I'm really happy to hear that he sounds like such a good kid. Wish he'd sign with us, rather than Bama.

Archived