University of Oklahoma SAE

Texan4Auburn

People making a big fuss over this but this is nothing new, once again in these days and times everything is now being recorded. People have been knowing frats do things like this all over America. Even here at Auburn, you would just catch some pics every now and then and people would generally blow it off.

I guess you can't say wouldn't ever happen but you don't catch wind of it ever happening. My years here on earth and all the different colleges I've been to (grew up five minuets away from one) I haven't seen or heard of such

I don't care who does it...it is disgraceful and needs to be dealt with. Sometimes you may not see it because it might be accepted. I have a close friend from Selma who went to Auburn and he is looked at like an Uncle Tom because he chose to go to the "white" school, and he's shared with me countless stories of reverse racism. We have to welcome the fight and defeat it as ONE.

I was sent to the private schools in Florence and caught some things. When I went to a Tuskegee Bible meeting and people found out I went to Auburn and was in engineering I received the most highest respect. People wanted to know what it was like there, how nice they heard it was. That's just my experience

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shows a lack of character, self awareness and responsibility. I'm glad the national chapter shut them down.

I'd bet you that somewhere out there a black frat group has some things related to racism as well. It happens across the "race" spectrum but it is disgusting.

You'd bet that but you'd be wrong

No I'm not! I know black people who have told me so. If you think only white people are racist you need to reassess humanity.

I think you should reassess. Not all racism is necessarily the same. Racism born out of oppression is one thing. Racism born out of a sense of "superiority" is something altogether different. What they do share is hatred of a group and, hatred for ALL who they identify as part of that group.

Name me a race that doesn't possess each of the racist components you just posted? Honestly.

I think you miss the point. It is not about race. It is about individuals. It is not about justification. It is about understanding.

People making a big fuss over this but this is nothing new, once again in these days and times everything is now being recorded. People have been knowing frats do things like this all over America. Even here at Auburn, you would just catch some pics every now and then and people would generally blow it off.

I guess you can't say wouldn't ever happen but you don't catch wind of it ever happening. My years here on earth and all the different colleges I've been to (grew up five minuets away from one) I haven't seen or heard of such

I don't care who does it...it is disgraceful and needs to be dealt with. Sometimes you may not see it because it might be accepted. I have a close friend from Selma who went to Auburn and he is looked at like an Uncle Tom because he chose to go to the "white" school, and he's shared with me countless stories of reverse racism. We have to welcome the fight and defeat it as ONE.

I was sent to the private schools in Florence and caught some things. When I went to a Tuskegee Bible meeting and people found out I went to Auburn and was in engineering I received the most highest respect. People wanted to know what it was like there, how nice they heard it was. That's just my experience

And my wife takes care of people from Tuskegee in the hospital and many of them have had special "requirements' of who can and cannot care for them because of race. I'm glad you had some good experiences so hopefully the younger generations are starting to get it. I hope more whites to the same.

I'm not trying to argue if black people can be racist, I actually didn't think so but after talking to some of you have a different point of view now. There are differences but I have beenenlightened so to speak. But I don't bbelieve ANY black frats do anything like this and I'm not going to accept people saying they do without some sort of evidence

Shows a lack of character, self awareness and responsibility. I'm glad the national chapter shut them down.

I'd bet you that somewhere out there a black frat group has some things related to racism as well. It happens across the "race" spectrum but it is disgusting.

No I'm not! I know black people who have told me so. If you think only white people are racist you need to reassess humanity.

I think you should reassess. Not all racism is necessarily the same. Racism born out of oppression is one thing. Racism born out of a sense of "superiority" is something altogether different. What they do share is hatred of a group and, hatred for ALL who they identify as part of that group.

Name me a race that doesn't possess each of the racist components you just posted? Honestly.

I think you miss the point. It is not about race. It is about individuals. It is not about justification. It is about understanding.

And I understand that all races possess racist tendencies and do horrible things because of it. So.....how do we change it? Respect one another and work together to weed it out of our social fabric.

I'm not trying to argue if black people can be racist, I actually didn't think so but after talking to some of you have a different point of view now. There are differences but I have beenenlightened so to speak. But I don't bbelieve ANY black frats do anything like this and I'm not going to accept people saying they do without some sort of evidence

It's out there. You won't find much "evidence" because the media won't report it unless it ends up on youtube and has no choice. Wrong is wrong and I certainly do not condone racism. PERIOD!

And I understand that all races possess racist tendencies and do horrible things because of it. So.....how do we change it? Respect one another and work together to weed it out of our social fabric.

Understanding it and, exposing it, not justifying it or, sweeping it "under the rug". That applies to the more overt and violent forms of the past and, the more subtle forms we see today.

Understanding it and, exposing it, not justifying it or, sweeping it "under the rug". That applies to the more overt and violent forms of the past and, the more subtle forms we see today.

When did I say it shouldn't be exposed or should be swept under a rug?

I've heard others describe it that all of us are guilty of prejudice...we judge people and make assumptions about them because of superficial things like race, class, creed, sex and so on. So more specifically, we all - white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, etc. - are guilty of racial prejudice in our hearts and minds. Racism on the other hand is prejudice combined with power. This understanding is part of why so many of these discussions get heated, especially when you hear a liberal say that "blacks cannot be racist." The average white person hears that and thinks they are saying that black people don't hold prejudicial attitudes about whites or other races. That they don't use words like honky or cracker or wetback or whatever. That they don't stereotype other races. But that is patently untrue. Of course many black people do such things. But what they generally cannot do is combine that prejudice with systemic power. Being 12% of the population, they can't control the levers of business or government or whatever in a sustained or comprehensive way like white people can.

You could make the same argument about 'class-ism." Of course poor people have prejudicial attitudes toward wealthy people, just as wealthy people have prejudice toward poor folks. But poor people do not have economic or political power like the rich do. They can't influence campaigns and politicians with money like the rich can. They don't control the gateways into employment like a rich business owner does. So you could say that while poor people are certainly prejudiced against others outside their economic class, they can't really be "classist" or commit "class-ism." That requires the combination of prejudice and power.

So when this subject starts being discussed by people on opposite sides, a lot of heat gets generated partly because the term "racism" is so loaded. The average white person doesn't think of that term in the academic sense I mention above. It is taken as the same meaning as prejudice. So then we have a situation of two groups really talking past one another because they don't agree on the terms they're using. The words are the same but the meanings are different in significant ways.

Maybe the solution is to allow "racism" to be synonymous with "racial prejudice" and come up with a new term to describe "prejudice combined with social/political/economic power." I don't know.

VERY well stated Titan. The solution is "Judge a MAN (WOMAN) by the content of their character".....JMHO

Titan...that is a fair statement. Thank you!

And I'm trying to show you generally if there is the slightest shadow of a doubt people will go out of their way to say racism doesn't exist or of it does barely....then when something happens that can't be argued now say black people do it too when there is no documentation....You all want me to look at your side but I can't find too many who will look at mine.

Just on the first page of this forum...

Garner's death wasn't a big deal, it's only logical to assume Martin was going to break in somebody's house and he was out looking for trouble. KKK passed out fliers and they are stupid just ignore them (mention black panthers of course like those organization can be compared) and this but bring up black frats that supposedly does the same thing even though you haven't seen it

Cole, that was awesomely straight forward. Succinct, to the point. Being clear minded and reasonable just wont wash here on the forum. You are going to go crazy with the storm troopers on both sides. If you can be that clear minded on this issue, than you will likely be as clear on others.

The sad thing is that people are outraged over this, as they should be. On the other end of the spectrum take someone like Kanye West and the trash that he puts out and he is celebrated. Call a woman a bitch and a ho or call for the killing of cops and you are royalty. You sell millions of records and get to be hang out with the Kardashians and be fabulously wealthy.

Kanye earned his money being an artist and how he became famous was being rapping against injustice, he went off on the deep end after his mother died. And LMFAO at the comment of hang with the Kardashian's. Kanye earned his money because he's actually musically talented...

Kanye is lyrically one of the better rappers out. He's a rapper not a singer so auto tune means nothing in his genre and lastly yes Kanye made his name as a producer and is in an entire different stratosphere in making beats. Suggesting he isn't one of the best ever at that is like a person saying Michael Jordan wasn't good at basketball. He made millions before he ever rapped himself and any of you knew who he was

Now that I think about it though, frat was caught about racism.....of course let's talk about a black rapper calling whores, whores

Kanye is lyrically one of the better rappers out. He's a rapper not a singer so auto tune means nothing in his genre and lastly yes Kanye made his name as a producer and is in an entire different stratosphere in making beats. Suggesting he isn't one of the best ever at that is like a person saying Michael Jordan wasn't good at basketball. He made millions before he ever rapped himself and any of you knew who he was

I'm not saying he isn't the top of his genre. I'm saying that's not what I call musically talented.

Now that I think about it though, frat was caught about racism.....of course let's talk about a black rapper calling whores, whores

They also drop the N word in those rap tunes too. But I guess that's ok, since they are black.

Yeah of course it's subjective some people don't like Elvis, Michael Jackson, the Beatles or other top artist but Kanye does more than rap and what he does with beats (a vital area in hip hop) his talent really can't be denied. I'm not too big on Prince's antics and wardrobe, not too impressed with his vocals but can't deny his talent in song writing or playing a guitar

They also drop the N word in those rap tunes too. But I guess that's ok, since they are black.

Yes I'm sure everyone is aware that word is used in music, and yes there is a difference between a white person calling a black person that...But this is great, justify it

Yes I'm sure everyone is aware that word is used in music, and yes there is a difference between a white person calling a black person that...But this is great, justify it

I'm most certainly not justifying it. I just find it incredible interesting that skin color dictates whether or not a word is racist.

Personally the word offends me. And it isn't just in music, it's in everyday language just like women being called the B word.

When you find out the origin of the word it shouldn't be too incredibly interesting....But don't focus on the word what about them saying the lynching part? How can we deflect that and take attention away from what they are saying and turn it towards black people....

When you find out the origin of the word it shouldn't be too incredibly interesting....But don't focus on the word what about them saying the lynching part? How can we deflect that and take attention away from what they are saying and turn it towards black people....

Now Darling, I haven't even addressed that yet. That little chant was incredibly stupid. We have a generation now that is completely ignorant of how you need to mind your behavior or it can end up in social media. What they said and did was wrong, and they are reaping the consequences.

Well was watching a interview with one of the girls involved with the group at OU that outed this video. See if I can find it and post it.

Gives a good example of why people point out others. So you have a fraternity that has been removed from campus and the two individuals identified in the video have been expelled from the university.

So she starts in how these two individuals are representative of the university as a whole, that all the other fraternities are the exact same, and goes as far to state that due to her color she (and all others that are not white) are not picked for groups in class unless the instructor assigns the groups.

Then you have the double standard of where the housemom sings along to a song from Trinidad and getting labeled as racist. Since lyrics have entered into this discussion. So are the rules now hey spend your money on music but don't read or repeat the lyrics unless you are white now lol?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/11/us/oklahoma-fraternity-house-mom/index.html

Archived