2016 5* DT Rashan Gary (Michigan Signee)

McLoofus

I wish I'd had the discretionary money these kids have when I was 18 years old. One such trip a summer would have required every dime I could scrape up. These guys go from school to school, back and forth across the country on a whim.

I don't understand how they can afford it.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I'd had the discretionary money these kids have when I was 18 years old. One such trip a summer would have required every dime I could scrape up. These guys go from school to school, back and forth across the country on a whim.

I can't take the trips

These kids take now and I graduated many years ago.

It's not hard to do it on the cheap. I drove all over the place in college and didn't spend much. Pay for gas. Stay on people's couch. The whole weekend costs less than $100.

Personally, I visited 15 schools when I chose Auburn. But thinking from the players and parents perspectives, their choice of college is going to have a huge impact on when RG eventually gets drafted, which could be a difference of a few million dollars. Thinking about it in that sense, spending $1K-$2K on a trip to go find out which school would be best isn't going "back and forth across the country on a whim", but rather is an investment in the future, no different than when you compare and contrast cars when you want a new one, or phones every 2 years. From that perspective, these trips are relatively cheap.

if my kid is a "for-sure" D1 scholarship athlete ... then I can take some of the money I stuck to the side that I saved for their college cost and use it to send them on a college recon tour.

but I agree with you ... I was busy working my butt off before my senior year trying to make a few bucks so i could take my girlfriend on dates and have beer money. no way did i ever consider taking a college site-seeing tour.

I wouldn't think the money would be a problem as much as taking time off from work would

In the case of Gary the trip would be a little expensive because of the distance. Usually when these kids go it is 2-4 kids splitting the gas and a lot of time the get to sleep in a players room so the expense is not that great. Food is probably biggest expense because at home you eat at home eating out is more expensive. They also will hit 2 or 3 schools in a week so that also cuts down on the cost. It is their future they want to be sure.

Do the kids have to pay for the lion's share of an official trip to a school?

Prior to CWM coming to Auburn, Saban has not had to deal with any coach of his caliber with recruiting. I see far more head on competition between the staffs with Auburn coming out the winner of recruits than in any time in the past.

From what I gather, if a recruit is taking an official visit to a school, everything is free to the recruit + family (I think) and the school picks up the tab. I could be wrong though.

official trips, no. Unofficial trips, yes.

From what I gather, if a recruit is taking an official visit to a school, everything is free to the recruit + family (I think) and the school picks up the tab. I could be wrong though.

Official trips, no. But a player is limited to five official visits, one to each of five schools. Some of these guys are visiting 10 or more schools multiple times and all but five of those are out of their own pockets.

:o

If we can keep getting him on campus, we have a shot. His Mom seems to like AU, and our Staff seems to be flipping the narrative on the 2016 class. We have gone from peering over the edge of the cliff, preparing to jump, to tied/leading for some Elite DL.

Me likey!!

http://247sports.com/Article/The-Opening-Training-Camp-Observations-38116830

Defensive Alpha Dog

The No. 1 prospect in the country according to 247Sports Composite looked like the No. 1 player in the country in the first one-on-one session of the week. Rashan Gary out of Paramaus (N.J.) Catholic was scary good with his get-off and his power. The get-off, we already knew about. The guy is a 4.8 40-yard dash kid and one of the most athletic defensive linemen we've seen in years but when he explodes off the line of scrimmage, he then has the hand strength and power to jolt offensive linemen and beat them with leverage and power.

Quick Hitters

***Rashan Gary is a slender defensive lineman and that's not a knock. Every year he seems to turn what little bad weight he has into lean muscle. He may be a month away from a six pack. Right now Gary could play all over the line of scrimmage and in fact he's one of the rare big bodies that may have grown from a defensive tackle into a defensive end rather than the reverse.

***On the flipside, Julian Rochester has a lot of bad weight and it shows with his feet. He just doesn't have the explosiveness needed right now. I once thought he had the versatility to be a DE in Georgia's 3-4 but that versatility isn't there at his current weight. Right now he would have to be a nose.

http://247sports.com/Article/The-Opening-Training-Camp-Observations-38116830

Defensive Alpha Dog

The No. 1 prospect in the country according to 247Sports Composite looked like the No. 1 player in the country in the first one-on-one session of the week. Rashan Gary out of Paramaus (N.J.) Catholic was scary good with his get-off and his power. The get-off, we already knew about. The guy is a 4.8 40-yard dash kid and one of the most athletic defensive linemen we've seen in years but when he explodes off the line of scrimmage, he then has the hand strength and power to jolt offensive linemen and beat them with leverage and power.

Quick Hitters

***Rashan Gary is a slender defensive lineman and that's not a knock. Every year he seems to turn what little bad weight he has into lean muscle. He may be a month away from a six pack. Right now Gary could play all over the line of scrimmage and in fact he's one of the rare big bodies that may have grown from a defensive tackle into a defensive end rather than the reverse.

***On the flipside, Julian Rochester has a lot of bad weight and it shows with his feet. He just doesn't have the explosiveness needed right now. I once thought he had the versatility to be a DE in Georgia's 3-4 but that versatility isn't there at his current weight. Right now he would have to be a nose.

sign him up! Future Buck!

http://247sports.com...ations-38116830

Defensive Alpha Dog

Quick Hitters

sign him up! Future Buck!

He's more in the role of Dominique Easley or JJ Watt. (Not saying he is JJ Watt but he can move around the line like him.)

nothing against the kid but I love the info on Julian. It basically shows why Boom basically stopped recruiting him when we hired him.

nothing against the kid but I love the info on Julian. It basically shows why Boom basically stopped recruiting him when we hired him.

Yep, big reason why I included it in the post (knew no one would read in the Rivals section and we didn't have an Opening thread). Sure seems to validate the change in recruiting and wouldn't surprise me if this poor showing and measurable a don't drop JR down the rankings significantly.

E, you are prolonging the inevitable panic button that I would like to press!!! Sheesh!!

Back to Gary for at least a minute. I have watched some of high highlights from The Opening. He is wicked quick off the line and his initial contact is violent. Kid will be a star in college.

Archived