2016 3* DL Tashawn Manning (AU commit 6/19/15)

Maverick.AU

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't link it right now but there is an article out that we are honoring his scholarship. It will be waiting on him whenever he is ready. I pray that healing will come quickly for him.

http://www.cbssports...ancer-diagnosis

Recent confirm

“In the past week, Tashawn Manning's life has changed dramatically. Once headed for an early enrollment at Auburn, the Tigers defensive tackle commit from Wekiva (Fla.) received devastating news last week when he was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia -- a form of cancer…According to Manning, Auburn assistant Scott Fountain, his area recruiter, stopped by to see him Wednesday. That lifted him up some.

"I really felt the love from my Auburn family," Manning said.

Manning said Tigers coach Gus Malzahn will be down to see him soon. According to the Sentinel, Malzahn and the Tigers have "assured that whenever Tashawn is ready and recovered enough to attend school, his scholarship awaits." http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Tigers-commit-Manning-thanks-well-wishers-from-hospital-41686698

Hopefully this will be another Sean Coleman story. Prayers for the kid and i can't wait to see him in orange and blue.

I can't link it right now but there is an article out that we are honoring his scholarship. It will be waiting on him whenever he is ready. I pray that healing will come quickly for him.

http://www.cbssports...ancer-diagnosis

Recent confirm

“In the past week, Tashawn Manning's life has changed dramatically. Once headed for an early enrollment at Auburn, the Tigers defensive tackle commit from Wekiva (Fla.) received devastating news last week when he was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia -- a form of cancer…According to Manning, Auburn assistant Scott Fountain, his area recruiter, stopped by to see him Wednesday. That lifted him up some.

"I really felt the love from my Auburn family," Manning said.

Manning said Tigers coach Gus Malzahn will be down to see him soon. According to the Sentinel, Malzahn and the Tigers have "assured that whenever Tashawn is ready and recovered enough to attend school, his scholarship awaits." http://auburn.247spo...spital-41686698

:wareagle:

• 2 weeks later...

I do hope this young man has a full recovery. But can someone explain to me the way the scholarship would work? (or explain how it worked for Coleman) ie: are we offering him an football scholarship such that it would count against our numbers this year, or is there some loop hole for this situation that the player would not be counted toward the scholarship numbers?

I do hope this young man has a full recovery. But can someone explain to me the way the scholarship would work? (or explain how it worked for Coleman) ie: are we offering him an football scholarship such that it would count against our numbers this year, or is there some loop hole for this situation that the player would not be counted toward the scholarship numbers?

I don't believe Shon's scholarship counted until he enrolled.

Prayers for Tashawn!

Wishing him the best. Some of my greatest blessings have come from my biggest adversities. Beating cancer will be a defining moment in Tashawn's life.

Your Auburn family is behind you brother!

It won't count until he enrolls, and even then, he'll be placed on medical scholarship until he's cleared to practice. When he starts practicing (God willing), I can't remember if it back counts to the previous February or what.

It won't count until he enrolls, and even then, he'll be placed on medical scholarship until he's cleared to practice. When he starts practicing (God willing), I can't remember if it back counts to the previous February or what.

What you say is how it worked with Coleman, but that took an individual decision from the NCAA. There appears to be no set rules to cover such a situation. It's possible, even probable that Manning's situation will be handled similar to Coleman's but all those same hoops will have to be jumped through again.

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from the Lukemia diagnosis has something else come up that would keep Manning from being a part of this class? Or is it just going through with his treatments that is going to hinder him?

Still lifting he and his family up...

Apparently he wwil not count against the class only because of the cancer. Hearing AU still wants him to be able to 'sign' wwit the team, though. Hope the NCAA lets that happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Another great article from the Sentinel from today paper. For some reason Chris Hays, the reporter, has taken a liking to Auburn recruits. Tashawn is a great kid

http://www.orlandose...0203-story.html

When he answered the door Monday evening at his parents’ Orlando home, Tashawn Manning looked every bit the strapping young football player who was supposed to be walking around campus at Auburn University.

The weight has nearly returned to his 6-foot-4 frame. He’s not quite as muscular as he was four months ago, but he looks good. His face is thinner, but he still has that trademark gap-toothed smile of his. He still smiles a lot.

Of course, no one fighting cancer and taking daily chemotherapy treatments would be expected to appear at the door with bulging biceps and a big grin, but this 17-year-old has taken cancer by the horns and vowed to fight it since he first learned he had the ugly disease.

Cancer prevented him from enrolling early at Auburn, so Manning will be at Wekiva High this morning, taking part in National Signing Day activities with teammates Leighton McCarthy (FAU) and Bakhari Goodson (UMass). He still has his scholarship to Auburn. Tigers head coach Gus Malzahn made that clear from the beginning.

Manning was shocked on Thanksgiving Day to learn he had acute promyelocytic leukemia (APML). He is still early in the stages of his chemotherapy treatments. He has close to another full year of his treatment plan, but Manning is determined to win this battle.

“I feel real good,” said Manning, an offensive and defensive lineman who ended his senior season as the No. 6-ranked player in the Sentinel’s 2016 Central Florida Super60. “I’ve been picking up my weight, my appetite has gotten almost back to normal and I just feel like I can start getting back to where I was before.”

He was on a restricted diet at first, but now he’s back to eating what he wants. He said his favorite food is “everything,” unless it comes from the order menu at Florida Hospital. He didn’t care much for that food.

Manning’s mom sometimes tries to stop him when he goes to the fridge, but she knows he needs to get his weight back. He weighed 270 pounds when cancer hit and he dropped to 230 in three months. He’s back up to about 260.

The folks at the local Chipotle Mexican Grill will be glad to know that profits will soon begin a steady increase thanks to Tashawn’s regular visits.

“Going from the hospital food … now he’s got his Chipotle. He thinks he’s driving a Lamborghini now. He ate that twice last week,” said Buck Manning, Tashawn’s father and a former football player himself at Orlando Evans High and Marshall University.

Buck Manning said it has been tough to watch his son stricken with such an unforgiving curse. Tashawn has never been one to complain, no matter how tough the going gets.

“Tashawn didn’t question why,” Buck Manning said of the cancer. “But I kinda did. It just didn’t seem fair. Tashawn, he didn’t do anything to cause it. He always did everything he was asked to do. Ever since right before high school, the plan was for him to work hard, get good enough grades so he could graduate high school, go on and play college ball and get a good education.

“For me, in the beginning, I said, ‘Wow, this is just not fair.’ But the family kinda came together and we strengthened each other and that’s just how we move forward with things.”

Nakia Manning provides the level head in the process. On the surface, everything might seem like Tashawn is doing great and he’s about to beat this disease like an opposing lineman standing in his way, but she said it’s not as easy as it appears.

“He goes through a lot. Even though he looks real good right now, we have to get up every day and be at the hospital. … It’s a lot, so it’s not just us going through the motions. It’s a lot of work for everybody still,” Nakia Manning said.

That’s why things like going to Chipotle, taking part in Wekiva’s signing ceremony today and just leaving the house for a little while are so important.

“I would have already started my classes [at Auburn],” Tashawn said. “It’s pretty good that I get to do my signing day [ceremony]. I didn’t get to do my official visit, but this is something I can do. It feels pretty good.

“Not being able to go up to Auburn, not being able to start playing football . . . you just have to sit back and wait and watch and watch and watch until it’s your turn. … Now I just try to go through this one day at a time.”

The Manning family was overwhelmed by the kindness from all directions when they launched a GoFundMe campaign for $10,000 to help cover his medical expenses. It took less than a month to raise the money and the campaign now sits at $15,580.

“I just want to thank everybody who donated, everybody who sent letters, everybody who has me in their prayers … from the Auburn family to the Wekiva family, even from other schools in Orange County … I just want to thank everybody for being so supportive while I’m going through this situation,” Tashawn said. “I just can’t wait to get to Auburn.”

What a fine young man and what a great family. I can't wait for him to beat this and show up on Campus.

May God heal this young man soon and have him on the field tearing it up like not seen before. Prayers are with you and for you.

• 1 month later...

Great story on Tashawn and his girlfriend

http://auburn.247spo...oposal-44403776

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2016/3/21/wekiva_high_school_s.html

Tashawn Manning turned a negative into a positive Monday.

Manning, a 2016 Auburn football signee, has been undergoing chemotherapy treatments at the Florida Hospital in Orlando, Fla., since November, when he was first diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia. But on Monday, he used it as a way to surprise Victoria Green, his girlfriend.

Green stopped by the hospital Monday morning, thinking she was visiting Manning during one of his routine treatments.

When she walked in his room, Manning was dressed in doctor’s scrubs and holding a sign asking her to be his date for Wekiva High School’s prom April 23. On his door, there was another sign that read, “I'm no doctor, but it appears you're suffering from Promitusisim."

And Manning was right: Green said yes.

When asked how he came up with the creative proposal, Manning said it was easy.

“We were sitting there talking about ideas, and I saw an idea about a doctor theme," Manning told News 13, an Orlando-area news station."I was in the hospital, so I just put two and two together."

Though Manning was able to hold on official ceremony on National Signing Day, the NCAA allowed him to sign his papers without it counting against the Tigers’ 2016 class. The NCAA also has permitted Manning’s eligibility clock to remain on hold until he beats the disease.

A 3-star defensive tackle signee, Manning is tentatively planning to enroll at Auburn in the fall semester in 2017.

Archived