Auburn DL Next Year

AuburnNTexas

Unless their play improves neither Frost or McKinzey will be moving up the NFL draft board. Mckinzey continues to overrun plays and appears to be no more than a blocking dummy. Hopefully, the return of Garrett will make a difference.

Tega is such a big guy, I think if he bulks up he will end up at DT (3-Technique, not the NT/1-Technique DT position). Tega's frame should allow him to get up towards 300 lbs in time. I think Tega is part of our interior line depth solution.

Tega is such a big guy, I think if he bulks up he will end up at DT (3-Technique, not the NT/1-Technique DT position). Tega's frame should allow him to get up towards 300 lbs in time. I think Tega is part of our interior line depth solution.

I hope not

Uh, guys: Tega is injured and will not play this year. Maybe back in time for spring practice.

Garrett is our best linebacker and getting him back will be a tremendous boost.

Looking at the entire roster for next year we have a lot returning (not accounting for early NFL departures) and we have recruited well at each position.....except for DT. The depth and talent at DT is embarrassing. Gardner was brought in with a reputation as a great recruiter and I would say he's flopped. Sure he's recruited a few big names, but other than those 1 or 2 big names I'd give him an F. D-line has always been a weak point since he's got here, and I believe he was the only defensive coach left on the staff from before Muschamp? A change needs to be made IMO if he doesn't finish with an improve D-line on the field this year and anything less than a stellar recruiting class on the interior line.

no he is built like a true DE

I'm probably the only guy that is disappointed that Tega didn't become a TE.

I agree with the OP though. Lawson should stay and I think Adams ciould be a top ten guy so he needs to go pro .

Sidebar) Has Andrew Williams been spotted on the field yet this year?

I hope not

Carl Lawson: 6'-2", 257 lbs

Byron Cowart: 6'3", 277 lbs

Prince Tega Wanogho: 6'8", 250lbs

The pictures I have seen of Tega show he is not lanky, and I doubt he has had much S&C having played one year of football at a small private school where he also played basketball. If he is exclusively a football player, and in a D-1 S&C program, I think he will grow considerably. He will grow beyond 250 lbs. If I were betting, he will be 275 lbs next fall, and perhaps 290 after two years.

If you asked me where Tega projects post-Auburn, I would say it would likely be as DE in a 3-4 defense, primarily due to his height and size potential. If he does not grow as much, he would project as a 4-3 DE. He is not they typical college 4-3 DE "Tweener".

In Mushchamps "Hybrid 4-3", the positions are similar to Saban's college 3-4. Mushcamp wants a big strongside DE who is more of a true lineman, and the "Buck" is really more like weakside 3-4 outside linebacker, similar to Saban's "Jack" OLB. At the same time, in Mushchamp's defense, the weakside DT is more like a 3-4 weakside DE, and often plays wider, especially if the Buck stacks behind the line somewhere.

no he is built like a true DE

What is a "True DE" today? A 4-3 DE? Strongside or Weakside? A 3-4 DE? A Hybrid DE/OLB?

An NFL 3-4 DE typically is the size of an interior defensive lineman. An College 4-3 DE is typically a "Tweener" between an interior lineman and an outside linebacker.

Muschamp wants his Strongside DE to be big, and his smaller weakside speed rusher DEs he wants to play Buck.

Go back and look at film of Mushchamp's defense. The weakside DT often times is playing like a 3-4 DE, as the Buck is moved around.

The truth is, it is probably more accurate to call Muschamp's defense a "Hybrid 3-4" rather than a "Hybrid 4-3". The Bucks are coached as linebackers by the linebacker coach.

Tega has played football for one year at a small private school. With a real S&C and nutrition program, the kid will grow. He is 5 inches taller than Byron Cowart, who weighs 277. The idea of Tega reaching 290lbs in a couple of years is not unreasonable.

I feel Lawson's stock will start going again when he's able to play again. And when happens, watch it.

What he said

Lawson is done for the year. So I'm told.

Bummer. Any insight on what the actual injury is?

One poster mentioned Andrew Williams and whether or not he has seen the field. I am wondering about his status.

I am going to second this.....

Since the post this morning got ignored. :angry:

I feel Lawson's stock will start going again when he's able to play again. And when happens, watch it.

What he said

Lawson is done for the year. So I'm told.

if so that's just suck bad. Two years in a row missed and he could go pro next year. He will one of the greatest Auburn defensive ends to never play smh

Andrew Williams played at the end of the LSU game

Thank you. Like the athletes would say, I had to scrap and claw for that answer.

There aren't any plays designed for a running back to run through or by the the los without any hindrance....

Sure there are. The DL "funnels" them to the LBs, the LBs then "funnel" them to the safeties and ,finally, the safeties play patty-cake with the RB as he blows past them for a touchdown.

The only thing I know about funneling is that delicious treat called a "Funnel cake". Do they still sell these during ball games at JHS? A good time ago back in the mid 90s, I had the 2nd best funnel cake that I have ever eaten at a game in JHS. The last game that I remember was when we played Arky and beat them in the last moments of the game or maybe OT.

In the small town of Brevard, NC, we shut down the whole downtown area for the last weekend in October for our Halloween Festival. The funnel cakes are to die for. The best of the best has to be the only that has chocolate drizzled over it with sliced strawberries and a healthy coating of 10X confectionary sugar.

I think I may have gotten a bit off subject in that funneling of RBs is a bit different subject than the cake. My druthers is the funnel cake.

There aren't any plays designed for a running back to run through or by the the los without any hindrance....

Sure there are. The DL "funnels" them to the LBs, the LBs then "funnel" them to the safeties and ,finally, the safeties play patty-cake with the RB as he blows past them for a touchdown.

That's funny, in watching the LSY game I thought it was the LBers job to funnel the offense to the end zone.

Archived