*** Auburn vs. Miss. St. Postgame Thread ***

looney

For the rest of the season...

I'll take fighting and being in a game at the end and having a chance.

We're in a rebuilding year and we didn't know it. Fine. Let's stay behind these guys and not make stupid comments on message boards. Really disappointed in lot of y'all after flipping through the game thread.

War damn.

If you don't see progress you're blind.

I see progress with white especially, but I'm tired of the young/rebuilding excuse. We recruit well enough to reload, other teams do it so why not us? We just look so much weaker and slower than so many other programs it's not even funny.

Agree and it is an excuse. Sure the QB play set us back so but far too much talent on this team to be in this position. Sean did good tonight...minus the INT through he did his job. However, the players are not the only ones that need to step up there game and i'll just leave it at that since i know some are sensitive to the genius we have. Defense did what they needed to do.

People in here including myself have stated if we can hold defenses to under 30 points..Auburn would be golden. 17 points the defense held them to and we couldn't get one TD?!! Penalties hurt yes but that play calling.....yeah. Is Muschamp allowed to chew out everyone on the team?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OL pass protection was abysmal. OL holding and false starts were also abysmal. People whined and complained about how awful our D is but they were a bright spot tonight. Sean played a helluva game for his first start, let's rally behind these guys and realize that this year will set us up for a big future.

Agreed. While theirs was excellent. To me, that was the biggest difference between the two teams.

White didn't have the time to throw downfield; Dak just had to wait for someone to get open.

Different defensive schemes....we rushed 4 most of the time.....MSU blitzed right and left and usually had more rushers than we had blockers....generally our OL was outnumbered by a couple players.....there is more to the issue that just the effort by the OL.....also have to consider that we split three or 4 players out beyond the blocking zone and ttheir LBs or CBs came in untouched.

Well we should have at least adjusted for it. With a virgin QB I should think we would have expected blitzes.

Sean played pretty well considering the pressure they put on him.

Yes, it should have been handled by coaching adjustments, for sure. I thought Sean played really well, considering. He could have fallen apart after the interception. Instead, he played like a playa.

Oh and the TV announcers were a joke. They were yapping late in the game talking about how JJ might have done better and Sean isnt as good of a runner, and so on. It was apparent they have ot watched another Auburn game yet this year prior to today. If anyone thinks the JJ we saw the 1st 3 games would have done better than White did today they dont know squat. I have always disliked the espn 2 guys. They have the combined brainpower of my neighbors dog that eats its own excrement ..

I hate losing but...

1. We found our QB in Sean White

2. We have a full stable of RBs

3. Muschamp still has that defensive magic

4. The youth movement on D is correct

^agree. There was a spark on offense and the defense played with passion. I liked seeing Sean's frustration after a bad play or when he got sacked, it shows he cares and I feel this will build trust with his teammates.

Agree on all points. Play calling and non-existent play makers still baffle me. Duke, Melvin Ray, Ricardo Louis all need more targets. Where was Jovon? Where was Kerryon in the 2nd half. The wheel route was missing. The jet sweep was missing. The WR Bubble Screen, that I don't like, was gone also. Not one TE/HBack splitting the seam. WDE!!

That was my biggest thought on offense in the second half is where is Kerryon he seemed to bring a spark every time he touched the ball in the 1st half.

The playcalling, except for a few times where we knew they'd blitz and we chose slow developing stuff, was fine to me. We moved the ball most of the night. A bad decision by a RS Fr. QB and a bad snap not only cost us the winning points, but also hurt momentum. There's no telling how this game plays out if we score that first drive or get that second TD to cut it to 14-7.

Oh and the TV announcers were a joke. They were yapping late in the game talking about how JJ might have done better and Sean isnt as good of a runner, and so on. It was apparent they have ot watched another Auburn game yet this year prior to today. If anyone thinks the JJ we saw the 1st 3 games would have done better than White did today they dont know squat. I have always disliked the espn 2 guys. They have the combined brainpower of my neighbors dog that eats its own excrement ..

They didn't prep at all. They also were talking about 'Bryan Cowart'. Verne might be old, but at least he preps.

I thought the announcers were fine. We didn't give them much to compliment us on. JJ line was stupid though. He was statistically one of the worst QBs in the nation.

I think no matter how much it sucks losing, and there is plenty of blame to share, any outlook that doesn't see today's game as a MAJOR improvement over last week is a fan I personally don't want to hang with...or know...or talk to.

Proud of the effort, and yes I realize that there's no awards for participation or moral victories. Accountability for losses and disappointment with results is expected. The true Auburn Man or Woman doesn't lose sight of the fight in the team.

+ 1

Or + as many as I can.

We're in a rebuilding year and we didn't know it. Fine. Let's stay behind these guys and not make stupid comments on message boards. Really disappointed in lot of y'all after flipping through the game thread.

War damn.

Why in Gus' third year and with all the highly rated recruiting classes we've brought in are we "rebuilding"?

+1

OL pass protection was abysmal. OL holding and false starts were also abysmal. People whined and complained about how awful our D is but they were a bright spot tonight. Sean played a helluva game for his first start, let's rally behind these guys and realize that this year will set us up for a big future.

Agreed. While theirs was excellent. To me, that was the biggest difference between the two teams.

White didn't have the time to throw downfield; Dak just had to wait for someone to get open.

Different defensive schemes....we rushed 4 most of the time.....MSU blitzed right and left and usually had more rushers than we had blockers....generally our OL was outnumbered by a couple players.....there is more to the issue that just the effort by the OL.....also have to consider that we split three or 4 players out beyond the blocking zone and ttheir LBs or CBs came in untouched.

Well we should have at least adjusted for it. With a virgin QB I should think we would have expected blitzes.

Sean played pretty well considering the pressure they put on him.

Why use the word virgin? Lol, wonder if they'll ask Sean that at a press conference like they did Tebow.

Well, I could have said a "freshman QB who's never started a game" but less is more in writing. ;)

But other than the INT in the red zone, Sean played well. And he has the look of someone who will get a lot better with experience.

Just kills me: more total yards, rushing yards, more first downs, more TOP, 137 yard rusher with over 5 ypc. 71% passer, held MSU to under 300 passing and 56 rushing. We had the chances to win the game

1) Kerryon disappeared because that's what Gus does when a player plays well in the first half

2)White played really really well with that garbage blocking

3)Duke and Ricardo getting 3 total targets is unacceptable

4)Gus and penalties are synonymous

5)Defense only allowed 3 points after the first quarter (or second I don't remember)

6)I've said if for 5 years: we under utilize the tight ends/ h-back in the passing game.

7)Gus' play calling in the red zone has been an issue since Cam left.

8)Scoreboard was cool and so was the sound system

9)pissed I traveled 10 hours but it could have been worse

10)took too long on our drives and it hurt us

11)defensive line wasn't trying to get to the qb. They were containing him from burning us with his feet.

If you think defense was remotely our problem you're insane. Any gus team should win when the other team only scores 17.

War damn.

I see progress with white especially, but I'm tired of the young/rebuilding excuse. We recruit well enough to reload, other teams do it so why not us? We just look so much weaker and slower than so many other programs it's not even funny.

Agree and it is an excuse. Sure the QB play set us back so but far too much talent on this team to be in this position. Sean did good tonight...minus the INT through he did his job. However, the players are not the only ones that need to step up there game and i'll just leave it at that since i know some are sensitive to the genius we have. Defense did what they needed to do.

People in here including myself have stated if we can hold defenses to under 30 points..Auburn would be golden. 17 points the defense held them to and we couldn't get one TD?!! Penalties hurt yes but that play calling.....yeah. Is Muschamp allowed to chew out everyone on the team?

This is on Gus. Scared to go for it a single solitary time in several situations that could have been game changing had we gone for it and gotten a 1st or a TD but would not have killed us had we failed. Kicking a FG felt like failure to me, the crowd, and I bet the team. My fiancee who knows jack squat about football even said to me she couldnt believe it. AU is a team that needed confidence and swagger and Gus play-called them right out of several chances to get it going. It was sickening, Reminded me of GC.

I think no matter how much it sucks losing, and there is plenty of blame to share, any outlook that doesn't see today's game as a MAJOR improvement over last week is a fan I personally don't want to hang with...or know...or talk to.

Proud of the effort, and yes I realize that there's no awards for participation or moral victories. Accountability for losses and disappointment with results is expected. The true Auburn Man or Woman doesn't lose sight of the fight in the team.

+ 1

Or + as many as I can.

Just add some 0s after the 1.

;)

1) Kerryon disappeared because that's what Gus does when a player plays well in the first half

2)White played really really well with that garbage blocking

3)Duke and Ricardo getting 3 total targets is unacceptable

4)Gus and penalties are synonymous

5)Defense only allowed 3 points after the first quarter (or second I don't remember)

6)I've said if for 5 years: we under utilize the tight ends/ h-back in the passing game.

7)Gus' play calling in the red zone has been an issue since Cam left.

8)Scoreboard was cool and so was the sound system

9)pissed I traveled 10 hours but it could have been worse

10)took too long on our drives and it hurt us

11)defensive line wasn't trying to get to the qb. They were containing him from burning us with his feet.

If you think defense was remotely our problem you're insane. Any gus team should win when the other team only scores 17.

8. The sound system killed me lol, I knew the general outcome of the play before it happened due to cable delay lol

Just kills me: more total yards, rushing yards, more first downs, more TOP, 137 yard rusher with over 5 ypc. 71% passer, held MSU to under 300 passing and 56 rushing. We had the chances to win the game

Can you imagine if they had started Fall camp with this "Culture", effort, and depth chart? Kinda bites doesn't it?

Huge progress on defense. The young guys stepped up. Muschamp started trusting them to take more chances and it paid off. The benched starters seemed to get the message.

The offense... Sean has heart and talent. But it will take time to develop a sense of pocket awareness, timing, and getting used to the speed of the game. As badly as JJ played in the first two games, I don't know that Sean tonight was anything better than a less mobile equivalent of Jeremy against LSU.

Gus continues to look inept at key play calling junctures. Why run a slow developing play action pass play on 3rd and 20 in the 4th quarter? The play fake fooled no one, and set Sean up for the pass rush. Gus is scared of throwing the ball deep.

^^^^^

Good old Gimmicky Gus. Maybe he should dump the trick plays because the only player's he's tricking are his own. Sean White is nothing more than an over hyped Chris Todd. However, he was barely given the opportunity to throw the ball north-south. I counted one pass beyond 20 yards and 2 passes beyond 10 yards. I don't know how you expect to move the chains if your QB can't make simple forward passes. Words can't describe how poorly this team is coached. Defense played its @ss off and the offense couldn't even put a touchdown on the board, mostly due to killer penalties, turnovers and god-awful playcalling.

With that said, if this team is going to salvage its season, JJ is going to have to figure things out in a hurry because Sean White isn't much of a QB.

Maybe Gus should let Sean lead us to the goal line, then pull him and put JJ in, then after. Moo St time-out, put Sean back in.... Yeah, that's it, why didn't Gus do that?

Agreed. HE can make some boneheaded calls at times. I have always questioned some of his calls at critical junctures in a game. We are two seasons removed from a NC appearance and look where we are. I said the same thing on the chat room.

......If you think defense was remotely our problem you're insane. Any gus team should win when the other team only scores 17.

That's the part I find baffling - or more accurately - frightening. Either something is seriously out of sync or Gus is not the offensive genius I thought he was.

Oh yes five straight top ten recruiting classes, one of the highest paid coaches staffs in the NCAA, with another SEC loss, this one at home, and a overtime win vs Jax St. Allot to be positive about.

Sounds too much like the truth

Archived