*** Auburn vs. Miss. St. Postgame Thread ***

looney

I'm never going to give up on Auburn, but I think we should prepare ourselves realistically for what is most likely about to happen. We play Arky and UK on the road........It's going to be one of those seasons.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defense played well enough to win tonight, but certainly not great. Offense was good enough until they went brain-dead in the red zone. I have not seen such ineptness in all my days - penalties, bad hikes etc. - just when we really needed them to execute with efficiency, the O goes stone cold pee-wee league. Add in the worst play-calling from Malzahn/Rhett ever, and you don't have a chance, even against a very, VERY young Ms St.

Overall, White played well, good to see some zone read FINALLY result in a couple good runs for him. OL and RBs still not picking up the blitzes, QB can't throw with other team's grille in his face.

I agree with that Britt, u know I wasn't trying to brash with you. Just voicing my frustration lol

Winning masks a lot of deficiencies. Idk about 2013 but we had a lot in 2010 that were masked by cam and company. 2013 I just think we had a hungry group.

I stated this in the chat room today and got flamed for saying so. But i agree 100%. And add an experienced Oline to those guys.

You got flamed because it's ridiculous. Every national title team has some all-star player (or a handful of them) that if you take them out, they lose too many to go all the way. Name me the last natty winner that didn't have one.

Ohio St. - Cardale Jones and Zeke Knight

FSU - Jameis Winston

Alabama - AJ McCarron

Alabama - AJ McCarron, Trent Richardson

Auburn - Cam Newton, Nick Fairley

Alabama - Mark Ingram, Marcel Dareus

Florida - Tim Tebow

LSU - Jamarcus Russell, Glenn Dorsey

Florida - Tim Tebow

Texas - Vince Young

It's a ridiculous standard to hold Gus up to when it's true of almost every team that wins a title or plays for one.

Ignore

Completely predictable. It's so much easier to just spout easy theories without examining them to see if they actually hold water. This one doesn't.

Is Gus responsible for holding? What about a bad snap?.....oooh maybe a missed FG? Still no? Some of you are complete idiots on here. Still terrible effort by a few starters then you factor in a few mental mistakes and the rest is history. On a positive note white is a leader that this team needs. If the o line could actually provide some time to pass block maybe we could see some deep passes. They did however do a good job on run blocking. Another positive note no team in this conference is unbeatable so we should see continued improvement.

The O line is all four and give star guys! Every team in the country offered them and they choose AU!

So what happened? I'm sorry, no,excuses here! We should not, repeat not, be this bad!!

Gus is semi-responsible for that bad snap. Tell me one other coach that wouldn't line up with your QB and run a quarterback sneak; literally tell your QB, go out there and fall forward and we score. Why in the world, for that very reason, would you line your team up in the shotgun?? Yes, poor execution, but don't put your team in that situation! Don't get cute, SCORE!!! The missed field goal was just a perfect storm of this. Guys, if you don't think there was an issue with coaching tonight, you're wrong. Game management has been pretty poor for the last year or so. Hope Gus is just in a funk.

We have never lined up under center in goal line situations. Ever. We didn't with Cam or Nick or anyone in between. In fact, there's a decent possibility that the chances of a bad exchange from center to QB go up when you use a style you don't normally employ 99% of the time.

The bad snap is on Golson, period.

Defense in the second half was the best we have seen in a long time. They certainly played well enough to win the game. Run game showed signs of life but problems in the red zone cost us the game. Nothing to do at this point but just keep on trying to get better.

Is Gus responsible for holding? What about a bad snap?.....oooh maybe a missed FG? Still no? Some of you are complete idiots on here. Still terrible effort by a few starters then you factor in a few mental mistakes and the rest is history. On a positive note white is a leader that this team needs. If the o line could actually provide some time to pass block maybe we could see some deep passes. They did however do a good job on run blocking. Another positive note no team in this conference is unbeatable so we should see continued improvement.

The O line is all four and give star guys! Every team in the country offered them and they choose AU!

So what happened? I'm sorry, no,excuses here! We should not, repeat not, be this bad!!

Gus is semi-responsible for that bad snap. Tell me one other coach that wouldn't line up with your QB and run a quarterback sneak; literally tell your QB, go out there and fall forward and we score. Why in the world, for that very reason, would you line your team up in the shotgun?? Yes, poor execution, but don't put your team in that situation! Don't get cute, SCORE!!! The missed field goal was just a perfect storm of this. Guys, if you don't think there was an issue with coaching tonight, you're wrong. Game management has been pretty poor for the last year or so. Hope Gus is just in a funk.

We have never lined up under center in goal line situations. Ever. We didn't with Cam or Nick or anyone in between. In fact, there's a decent possibility that the chances of a bad exchange from center to QB go up when you use a style you don't normally employ 99% of the time.

Disagree.....the offense was in flow as it drove down the field...then Gus replaces almost the entire team for a play from the 2...and then the TO by MSU, and Gus then sends most (but not all) of the original team back on the field with just seconds to get settled for a critical play. JMO but that situation was ripe for a problem somewhere. I expected a movement penalty before we even got the snap off but managed to avoid that at least.

I worried all night about the continuous flow of offensive players in and out of the game and how it affected cohesiveness of the "team". Again, just an opinion but I think our blocking problems (RBs and WRs) and many other issues were related to the fact we had a different group of players on the field almost every offensive down.

Just wondering? Gus wanting to give everyone playing time? A noble goal perhaps...but also perhaps at the expense of unit cohesion.

As for the offense itself, seems we ran a very good variety of plays though the red-zone play book must only have three plays in it.

This loss lies squarely on Gus. Playcalling was TERRIBLE. White played well enough to win and was a big improvement over JJ. He will improve as the season moves on. Defense tightened up and held MSU to 3 points after the half to give our offense a chance.

I kinda felt like we were like LSU last year....but at least LSU has a coach who sets the offense up for success. The red zone playcalling was absolutely pathetic. We have to be able to run plays that result in 6, not kick field goals.

I do not know what is up with the playcalling, but its the worst I have seen. If Gus is letting Lashlee call plays, he needs to take the playbook and take over.

I just want to know what happened to the fast physical play calling that worked so well in the past, starting to think Gus was a one hit wonder.

Two hit, if we're going with that theory.

Disagree.....the offense was in flow as it drove down the field...then Gus replaces almost the entire team for a play from the 2...and then the TO by MSU, and Gus then sends most (but not all) of the original team back on the field with just seconds to get settled for a critical play. JMO but that situation was ripe for a problem somewhere. I expected a movement penalty before we even got the snap off but managed to avoid that at least.

We didn't replace the entire team. We replaced the QB and RBs. Went with a heavy package which is normal in goal line situations. Center didn't change. Shotgun didn't change.

And we'd gotten stuffed twice already running with the same group that got us down the field. My only critique would have been to stay with the JJ play call even if they knew it was coming.

I worried all night about the continuous flow of offensive players in and out of the game and how it affected cohesiveness of the "team". Again, just an opinion but I think our blocking problems (RBs and WRs) and many other issues were related to the fact we had a different group of players on the field almost every offensive down.

I would prefer to see less substituting as well, so I agree with that.

We love college football more than ever, but enjoy it less than ever. Have a great year and on the bandwagon we go. Strut around like peacocks and gloat about our greatness. Have a down tick and fire the coach, fire the staff, fire the AD. Hell, why not just scrap football altogether?

AU has had some magnificent seasons in my lifetime. We've won championships, Hesimans, and plenty of Iron Bowls. We've also had some really bad years. So has every other program. We were overrated this year but showed improvement last night. We may finish strong and go to a bowl game, or collapse and have a losing record. The quality of my life won't change either way.

War Eagle anyway!

We love college football more than ever, but enjoy it less than ever. Have a great year and on the bandwagon we go. Strut around like peacocks and gloat about our greatness. Have a down tick and fire the coach, fire the staff, fire the AD. Hell, why not just scrap football altogether?

AU has had some magnificent seasons in my lifetime. We've won championships, Hesimans, and plenty of Iron Bowls. We've also had some really bad years. So has every other program. We were overrated this year but showed improvement last night. We may finish strong and go to a bowl game, or collapse and have a losing record. The quality of my life won't change either way.

War Eagle anyway!

Firing the AD would be a good thing.

Everyone needs to quit blaming the players, This game fall on the shoulders of Rhett and Gus. This started last year and continues. They get away from whats working especially in the red zone, They gave away 14 points inside of the five due to dumb play calling. Bringing in JJ for the power run over Sean was the right thing and it did score but was brought back because of the timeout by Mullet face, Gus should have stood his ground and sent JJ back in and went for the power run, Gus is the one slowing down the offense. I will admit Sean did a better job with the run game. His handoffs were crisper and his runs were more determined and straight ahead, I also saw his long ball was not as good as JJs. His short throws are better than JJs. The defense looked better, especially after setting the starters, Frost played harder after coming off the bench. Mathews just doesn't seem to be playing as well as what we saw during the spring. But again, I think coach play calling is 80% of out problem. I still have hope Gus will wake up, and these guys will get better, WDE

War Eagle anyway!

Firing the AD would be a good thing.

You mean the one that brought Gus in, who took a dumpster fire and in one year played for a natty? The same AD that hired Bruce Pearl who is likely to be the best BBall we've ever had? The same AD that hired a softball coach that took us almost from worst to first overnight? The same AD that hired a baseball coach that shows improvement every week? The same AD that does some of the most wonderful caring moves I've ever witnessed at our great university (see the Schmid scholars thread). I agree, that guy stinks. Lmfao

I agree with that Britt, u know I wasn't trying to brash with you. Just voicing my frustration lol

Winning masks a lot of deficiencies. Idk about 2013 but we had a lot in 2010 that were masked by cam and company. 2013 I just think we had a hungry group.

I stated this in the chat room today and got flamed for saying so. But i agree 100%. And add an experienced Oline to those guys.

You got flamed because it's ridiculous. Every national title team has some all-star player (or a handful of them) that if you take them out, they lose too many to go all the way. Name me the last natty winner that didn't have one.

FSU - Jameis Winston

Alabama - AJ McCarron

Florida - Tim Tebow

Florida - Tim Tebow

Texas - Vince Young

It's a ridiculous standard to hold Gus up to when it's true of almost every team that wins a title or plays for one.

Ignore

Completely predictable. It's so much easier to just spout easy theories without examining them to see if they actually hold water. This one doesn't.

:thumbsup:

Look, MSU lost a boatload of talent, on both side of the ball. Yet they came into our stadium and beat us by 8. Can't make too many excuses for that. Offense was sloppy (penalties) and Gus was out coached by Mullet (again).

I can't state this enough, CRL is calling these plays and it is ruining us. Everyone wants to blame Gus but it is Rhett that is holding us back.

So at what point does Gus say enough is enough and take back control?

Hoping by the end of the season Rhett is out, Dcraig is OC (who should be running the offense anyway) and we can hire a top notch recruiter who can coach up the WRs as I believe CDC would take over QB coach duties.

Clayton, how do you know it's CRL calling the plays? Not being confrontational, just curious.

I can't state this enough, CRL is calling these plays and it is ruining us. Everyone wants to blame Gus but it is Rhett that is holding us back.

Hoping by the end of the season Rhett is out, Dcraig is OC (who should be running the offense anyway) and we can hire a top notch recruiter who can coach up the WRs as I believe CDC would take over QB coach duties.

Clayton, how do you know it's CRL calling the plays? Not being confrontational, just curious.

And why do so many people think CDC is capable of running an offense? Also an honest question.

And why do so many people think CDC is capable of running an offense? Also an honest question.

From what I was told, Gus wanted Rhett to move on to Samford last year and he didn't. DC and Rhett were clashing on views of the offense last year. DC had a lot of new ideas and what not for the offense but, as everyone has already pointed out, Rhett and Gus are quite stubborn. I don't know whether DC can run an offense, but I know that he'd get that opportunity to try if CRL left after this year.

From what I was told, Gus wanted Rhett to move on to Samford last year and he didn't. DC and Rhett were clashing on views of the offense last year. DC had a lot of new ideas and what not for the offense but, as everyone has already pointed out, Rhett and Gus are quite stubborn. I don't know whether DC can run an offense, but I know that he'd get that opportunity to try if CRL left after this year.

10-4, thanks for the insight.

FSU - Jameis Winston

Alabama - AJ McCarron

Florida - Tim Tebow

Florida - Tim Tebow

Texas - Vince Young

Ignore

The only difference between good and horrible years under Gus is having an exceptionally athletic QB that can turn 3rd and long, or busted plays into big gaines and 1st downs by scrambling. (Gus' O consistantly puts us in 3rd and long more than any other coach I have ever seen.) Without big gains on busted plays we are dead in the water. Even in our good years under gus we are relient on the busted play. This is no way to have consistant success. When we win we barely squeek by and when we lose the wheels come off. We have looked like a high school coached team more often than not under Gus. Even in his best year.

We didn't replace the entire team. We replaced the QB and RBs. Went with a heavy package which is normal in goal line situations. Center didn't change. Shotgun didn't change.

And we'd gotten stuffed twice already running with the same group that got us down the field. My only critique would have been to stay with the JJ play call even if they knew it was coming.

I would prefer to see less substituting as well, so I agree with that.

Agree...once JJ and his group were out there, I would have sent them back....just too many changes with a bunch of young guys in an excitable moment.

FSU - Jameis Winston

Alabama - AJ McCarron

Florida - Tim Tebow

Florida - Tim Tebow

Texas - Vince Young

Ignore

The only difference between good and horrible years under Gus is having an exceptionally athletic QB that can turn 3rd and long, or busted plays into big gaines and 1st downs by scrambling. (Gus' O consistantly puts us in 3rd and long more than any other coach I have ever seen.) Without big gains on busted plays we are dead in the water. Even in our good years under gus we are relient on the busted play. This is no way to have consistant success. When we win we barely squeek by and when we lose the wheels come off. We have looked like a high school coached team more often than not under Gus. Even in his best year.

^^^^^

FSU - Jameis Winston

Alabama - AJ McCarron

Florida - Tim Tebow

Florida - Tim Tebow

Texas - Vince Young

Ignore

:thumbsup:/>

This might be one of the dumbest posts I've read in this thread. Honestly.

Archived