*** Auburn vs. Miss. St. Postgame Thread ***

looney

The ignore function doesn't work when people quote someone you're trying to ignore. Interesting fact.

Quoting you just so everyone can see it ;D/>

Haha me too, Britt. I feel your pain.

Yep.

Hey, ptb -- can you shed any light on the Kerryon Johnson situation? Did he get hurt in the first half? Or did we not see him in the second for some other reason?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Effort definitely improved this week. Some good things to build upon. Still need improved discipline regarding the penalties. Diaz was predictable on first down pressure so probably should have exploited that a bit more. Hate that we lost, but that one's in the books and need to focus on the next one.

Good old Gimmicky Gus. Maybe he should dump the trick plays because the only player's he's tricking are his own. Sean White is nothing more than an over hyped Chris Todd. However, he was barely given the opportunity to throw the ball north-south. I counted one pass beyond 20 yards and 2 passes beyond 10 yards. I don't know how you expect to move the chains if your QB can't make simple forward passes. Words can't describe how poorly this team is coached. Defense played its @ss off and the offense couldn't even put a touchdown on the board, mostly due to killer penalties, turnovers and god-awful playcalling.

With that said, if this team is going to salvage its season, JJ is going to have to figure things out in a hurry because Sean White isn't much of a QB.

Are you okay in the head?

Moo State is arguably the worst team in the SECw and Auburn couldn't score a TD at home.

MSU is not the worst team in the West. They certainly aren't the worst defense in the West.

I was going by pre-season standings but I see your point. Yes, Arkansas is probably much worse. Still, an inexperienced QB in the 4th Quarter throws the ball on three consecutive downs to kill a drive with 9 minutes to go. All of this when Auburn's ground game was gashing Moo State's defensive line with 7-10 yard gains. Some of the 4th quarter playcalling boggles the mind.

Effort definitely improved this week. Some good things to build upon. Still need improved discipline regarding the penalties. Diaz was predictable on first down pressure so probably should have exploited that a bit more. Hate that we lost, but that one's in the books and need to focus on the next one.

Yeah, it baffles me that we couldn't take advantage of Diaz. An experienced QB would have had a field day with that. So, I would have thought, at least, that we'd have adjusted with the playcalling, even if Sean isn't ready/allowed to audible, yet.

^thats a good question. He came up gimpy after one of the plays. (Ankle?) I didn't see him after the game (usually good sign). I just got home from the game so I will check.

OK, thanks. I obviously don't want him to be hurt. But if he were held out for precautionary reasons, that would make me feel better than thinking he played really well and was held out for no good reason!

I think we are definitely headed in the right direction, and I bet the recruits there tonight saw that as well. The offense looks a lot better with Sean in there, and our running backs, especially Barber, are amazing. And the defense looked great too.

For the rest of the season...

I'll take fighting and being in a game at the end and having a chance.

We're in a rebuilding year and we didn't know it. Fine. Let's stay behind these guys and not make stupid comments on message boards. Really disappointed in lot of y'all after flipping through the game thread.

War damn.

If you don't see progress you're blind.

I see progress with white especially, but I'm tired of the young/rebuilding excuse. We recruit well enough to reload, other teams do it so why not us? We just look so much weaker and slower than so many other programs it's not even funny.

I agree with looney. It's not really an excuse. It's just the way it is. And most of us had way too high expectations.

I disagree britt, look at teams like Alabama and lsu. We recruit on par with them and they don't experience this the way we do. There's absolutely no excuse for it. Our guys look weak and slow-(especially on D) other than a few guys

I'm not saying we're performing up to our potential. But the fact is, it IS a rebuilding year -- this despite our excellent recruiting. I think we are now on the right track on D. But look at how many freshmen we're playing. I think there's a reason for that.

7 seasons and only 2 weren't considered young/rebuilding. With our recruiting I'm tired of that excuse. I personally think it's to try to not bash players or coaching staff which is fine. I'm saying we look slow and weak. Our oline has had time to be in the weight room and that performance was just sad. Our WR's aren't getting open, our LB's are still out of position way too much, and our secondary has given 10 yard cushions for 7 years now. I personally think we have a culture problem but that's just me. We don't know how to play with expectations, we don't know how to reload, and we don't know how to dominate and play with grit and it's frustrating. Other than guys like Sean, Peyton, and KJ I am very disappointed with this team

I agree there seems to be a culture problem. With guys like Tre Mason around, it wasn't as evident. I think Carl is the equivalent on D. The younger kids don't seem as affected by the bad culture, though. At least, it looks like the D is coming around.

I agree with that Britt, u know I wasn't trying to brash with you. Just voicing my frustration lol

Winning masks a lot of deficiencies. Idk about 2013 but we had a lot in 2010 that were masked by cam and company. 2013 I just think we had a hungry group.

I stated this in the chat room today and got flamed for saying so. But i agree 100%. And add an experienced Oline to those guys.

Ps, Roc and t williams should be day to day...although I would be the first to admit I was way off on prognosis of Matthews immediately after the game...big enough to admit when I'm wrong.

Thanks. Good news!

And we're happy you missed that one on Mathews!

He actually looked like he was playing more like his old self today, with a little more ferocity. Seemed like last week he favored the shoulder a little.

We're in a rebuilding year and we didn't know it. Fine. Let's stay behind these guys and not make stupid comments on message boards. Really disappointed in lot of y'all after flipping through the game thread.

War damn.

I see progress with white especially, but I'm tired of the young/rebuilding excuse. We recruit well enough to reload, other teams do it so why not us? We just look so much weaker and slower than so many other programs it's not even funny.

I agree with looney. It's not really an excuse. It's just the way it is. And most of us had way too high expectations.

I disagree britt, look at teams like Alabama and lsu. We recruit on par with them and they don't experience this the way we do. There's absolutely no excuse for it. Our guys look weak and slow-(especially on D) other than a few guys

I'm not saying we're performing up to our potential. But the fact is, it IS a rebuilding year -- this despite our excellent recruiting. I think we are now on the right track on D. But look at how many freshmen we're playing. I think there's a reason for that.

7 seasons and only 2 weren't considered young/rebuilding. With our recruiting I'm tired of that excuse. I personally think it's to try to not bash players or coaching staff which is fine. I'm saying we look slow and weak. Our oline has had time to be in the weight room and that performance was just sad. Our WR's aren't getting open, our LB's are still out of position way too much, and our secondary has given 10 yard cushions for 7 years now. I personally think we have a culture problem but that's just me. We don't know how to play with expectations, we don't know how to reload, and we don't know how to dominate and play with grit and it's frustrating. Other than guys like Sean, Peyton, and KJ I am very disappointed with this team

I agree there seems to be a culture problem. With guys like Tre Mason around, it wasn't as evident. I think Carl is the equivalent on D. The younger kids don't seem as affected by the bad culture, though. At least, it looks like the D is coming around.

I agree with that Britt, u know I wasn't trying to brash with you. Just voicing my frustration lol

Winning masks a lot of deficiencies. Idk about 2013 but we had a lot in 2010 that were masked by cam and company. 2013 I just think we had a hungry group.

I stated this in the chat room today and got flamed for saying so. But i agree 100%. And add an experienced Oline to those guys.

That's absolutely true.

I can't see it getting any better because the offensive issues we have now are like a rolling stone that started rolling back in 2013

Well, maybe Gus will learn something from Boom.

The two clowns calling this game were right about one thing. We need to be under center at the 1/2 yard line. The difference in game was bad play calls and bad execution in the red zone. Run blocking was improved. RBs and SW ran hard. If Sean had Dak's pass protection we could have had 500 yards in the air. Bad call on 3rd and 3 on the first drive. We had 2 plays to run it down their throughts. Defense stopped the run and looked much better after first two or three MSU drives. I hope we stick with White. If we had stuck it in the EZ on first drive game could have been totally different. First time this year we had more yds, TOP, and Ist downs that our opponent.

U F is starting two true freshman and playing three true freshmen on their O line and they beat U T today. On paper our O line is more experienced and better, so what is the problem!?

They won by a foot on a field goal. We lost by a couple of missed opportunities.

Again, we got some bad bounces and took some lumps but...

They. Did. Not. Stop. Fighting.

I really don't get how anyone can be less than encouraged.

You've given up on this team. Fine. Stop wearing your orange and blue.

I don't think they've given up on themselves - quite the contrary.

We've found some leaders.

I'm stoked about that.

Definitely saw some bright spots. Defense really played well in the second half.

Running backs played extremely well. Sean played well considering everything.

I don't know why everyone is ragging so hard on Duke, either.

Kerryon confirmed little banged up, shouldn't be anything serious.

Also wanted Peyton in for better protection in the 4th quarter.

Goodnight all and Wde.

Injuries are killing us this year.

War damn.

Agree and it is an excuse. Sure the QB play set us back so but far too much talent on this team to be in this position. Sean did good tonight...minus the INT through he did his job. However, the players are not the only ones that need to step up there game and i'll just leave it at that since i know some are sensitive to the genius we have. Defense did what they needed to do.

People in here including myself have stated if we can hold defenses to under 30 points..Auburn would be golden. 17 points the defense held them to and we couldn't get one TD?!! Penalties hurt yes but that play calling.....yeah. Is Muschamp allowed to chew out everyone on the team?

This is on Gus. Scared to go for it a single solitary time in several situations that could have been game changing had we gone for it and gotten a 1st or a TD but would not have killed us had we failed. Kicking a FG felt like failure to me, the crowd, and I bet the team. My fiancee who knows jack squat about football even said to me she couldnt believe it. AU is a team that needed confidence and swagger and Gus play-called them right out of several chances to get it going. It was sickening, Reminded me of GC.

Agree

Good old Gimmicky Gus. Maybe he should dump the trick plays because the only player's he's tricking are his own. Sean White is nothing more than an over hyped Chris Todd. However, he was barely given the opportunity to throw the ball north-south. I counted one pass beyond 20 yards and 2 passes beyond 10 yards. I don't know how you expect to move the chains if your QB can't make simple forward passes. Words can't describe how poorly this team is coached. Defense played its @ss off and the offense couldn't even put a touchdown on the board, mostly due to killer penalties, turnovers and god-awful playcalling.

With that said, if this team is going to salvage its season, JJ is going to have to figure things out in a hurry because Sean White isn't much of a QB.

I'm not sure what you were watching but it wasn't the same game everybody else was watching. White can make every pass that Johnson can make and more. The play calling did not allow him to throw the ball down the field. The Safeties were playing centerfield waiting on him to throw the deep pass. Maybe you should go back and watch the previous games and then watch this one again. Sean White is a baller and a winner.

You got flamed because it's ridiculous. Every national title team has some all-star player (or a handful of them) that if you take them out, they lose too many to go all the way. Name me the last natty winner that didn't have one.

Ohio St. - Cardale Jones and Zeke Knight

FSU - Jameis Winston

Alabama - AJ McCarron

Alabama - AJ McCarron, Trent Richardson

Auburn - Cam Newton, Nick Fairley

Alabama - Mark Ingram, Marcel Dareus

Florida - Tim Tebow

LSU - Jamarcus Russell, Glenn Dorsey

Florida - Tim Tebow

Texas - Vince Young

It's a ridiculous standard to hold Gus up to when it's true of almost every team that wins a title or plays for one.

I'm not sure what you were watching but it wasn't the same game everybody else was watching. White can make every pass that Johnson can make and more. The play calling did not allow him to throw the ball down the field. The Safeties were playing centerfield waiting on him to throw the deep pass. Maybe you should go back and watch the previous games and then watch this one again. Sean White is a baller and a winner.

Diaz designed the defense tonight to take away the deep threat. He wanted to force us to have to move it in small chunks down the field and it worked.

You got flamed because it's ridiculous. Every national title team has some all-star player (or a handful of them) that if you take them out, they lose too many to go all the way. Name me the last natty winner that didn't have one.

Ohio St. - Cardale Jones and Zeke Knight

FSU - Jameis Winston

Alabama - AJ McCarron

Alabama - AJ McCarron, Trent Richardson

Auburn - Cam Newton, Nick Fairley

Alabama - Mark Ingram, Marcel Dareus

Florida - Tim Tebow

LSU - Jamarcus Russell, Glenn Dorsey

Florida - Tim Tebow

Texas - Vince Young

It's a ridiculous standard to hold Gus up to when it's true of almost every team that wins a title or plays for one.

Ignore

If that's the case, how does Auburn overcome this strategy employed by the opposition?

Are you okay in the head?

Moo State is arguably the worst team in the SECw and Auburn couldn't score a TD at home.

MSU is not the worst team in the West. They certainly aren't the worst defense in the West.

I was going by pre-season standings but I see your point. Yes, Arkansas is probably much worse. Still, an inexperienced QB in the 4th Quarter throws the ball on three consecutive downs to kill a drive with 9 minutes to go. All of this when Auburn's ground game was gashing Moo State's defensive line with 7-10 yard gains. Some of the 4th quarter playcalling boggles the mind.

This example...I found Gus/Rhett going from incompetent to idiotic. All in all, our offensive play calling was a prime example of playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Archived