*** Auburn vs. Miss. St. Postgame Thread ***

looney

Good old Gimmicky Gus. Maybe he should dump the trick plays because the only player's he's tricking are his own. Sean White is nothing more than an over hyped Chris Todd. However, he was barely given the opportunity to throw the ball north-south. I counted one pass beyond 20 yards and 2 passes beyond 10 yards. I don't know how you expect to move the chains if your QB can't make simple forward passes. Words can't describe how poorly this team is coached. Defense played its @ss off and the offense couldn't even put a touchdown on the board, mostly due to killer penalties, turnovers and god-awful playcalling.

With that said, if this team is going to salvage its season, JJ is going to have to figure things out in a hurry because Sean White isn't much of a QB.

Are you okay in the head?

Moo State is arguably the worst team in the SECw and Auburn couldn't score a TD at home.

MSU is not the worst team in the West. They certainly aren't the worst defense in the West.

I was going by pre-season standings but I see your point. Yes, Arkansas is probably much worse. Still, an inexperienced QB in the 4th Quarter throws the ball on three consecutive downs to kill a drive with 9 minutes to go. All of this when Auburn's ground game was gashing Moo State's defensive line with 7-10 yard gains. Some of the 4th quarter playcalling boggles the mind.

This example...I found Gus/Rhett going from incompetent to idiotic. All in all, our offensive play calling was a prime example of playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

And that's how you get beat for sure.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team got a lot better. They showed fight. Kentucky and SJSU coming up. We're clearly not a good team but I'm feeling better than I was.

Agree...we lost 25+ players from last year and some folks including some coaches just got waaay too optimistic about JJ ...and thus too optimistic about what the team would accomplish this year.

Might be wrong but I think some folks here are underestimating MSU.....we will know more in a few weeks I guess.

MSU will finish in the bottom half of th SEC this year. If we (and arky) weren't underperforming, they would probably finish last in the sec west. They lost everyone on defense, lost most of the offensive line, and lost nearly every skill player. I don't think we are underestimating anyone.

I think we are definitely headed in the right direction, and I bet the recruits there tonight saw that as well. The offense looks a lot better with Sean in there, and our running backs, especially Barber, are amazing. And the defense looked great too.

Someone on another thread said that some of the recruits at the game were kind of badmouthing us...

Good old Gimmicky Gus. Maybe he should dump the trick plays because the only player's he's tricking are his own. Sean White is nothing more than an over hyped Chris Todd. However, he was barely given the opportunity to throw the ball north-south. I counted one pass beyond 20 yards and 2 passes beyond 10 yards. I don't know how you expect to move the chains if your QB can't make simple forward passes. Words can't describe how poorly this team is coached. Defense played its @ss off and the offense couldn't even put a touchdown on the board, mostly due to killer penalties, turnovers and god-awful playcalling.

With that said, if this team is going to salvage its season, JJ is going to have to figure things out in a hurry because Sean White isn't much of a QB.

I'm not sure what you were watching but it wasn't the same game everybody else was watching. White can make every pass that Johnson can make and more. The play calling did not allow him to throw the ball down the field. The Safeties were playing centerfield waiting on him to throw the deep pass. Maybe you should go back and watch the previous games and then watch this one again. Sean White is a baller and a winner.

Not sure we can make this statement yet. The offense looked better, but we also committed to the run game tonight. White wasn't asked to do much tonight. Most of his passes were within ten yards of the LOS. I thought that he looked a little iffy throwing down field. That could develop as we get further into the season, but I want to see more before I evaluate White as a starter.

I'm not sure what you were watching but it wasn't the same game everybody else was watching. White can make every pass that Johnson can make and more. The play calling did not allow him to throw the ball down the field. The Safeties were playing centerfield waiting on him to throw the deep pass. Maybe you should go back and watch the previous games and then watch this one again. Sean White is a baller and a winner.

Not sure we can make this statement yet. The offense looked better, but we also committed to the run game tonight. White wasn't asked to do much tonight. Most of his passes were within ten yards of the LOS. I thought that he looked a little iffy throwing down field. That could develop as we get further into the season, but I want to see more before I evaluate White as a starter.

I think we are definitely headed in the right direction, and I bet the recruits there tonight saw that as well. The offense looks a lot better with Sean in there, and our running backs, especially Barber, are amazing. And the defense looked great too.

Someone on another thread said that some of the recruits at the game were kind of badmouthing us...

I saw that in the game thread. I believe it was in the first half though. We looked much better in the 2cnd.

@aubehaviorscientist: better by what standard? I saw 9 points at home against the team most thought was the worst in the division. I saw a sanitized offensive scheme that couldn't move the ball more than 5 yards ahead. I saw a defensive scheme that was passive aND lacked a pass rush. Carl Lawson ain't coming back! Very little to be positive about.

@aubehaviorscientist: better by what standard? I saw 9 points at home against the team most thought was the worst in the division. I saw a sanitized offensive scheme that couldn't move the ball more than 5 yards ahead. I saw a defensive scheme that was passive aND lacked a pass rush. Carl Lawson ain't coming back! Very little to be positive about.

Then don't be positive because that will make it better.

We lost because we didn't finish drives. Offense got in the redzone several times. I haven't seen the final stats yet, but we had more total yards than they did late in the game. It also seems like we found a rhythm on a few of the drives and seemed to have found an offensive identity. Play calling, qb play, and general execution were awful in the red zone. Drives kept stalling inside the 10. If we had finished on even one of the drives, who knows what would've happened.

Then don't be positive because that will make it better.

They have to get better, and it starts with the coaching. Us posting silver linings about their poor performance on a message board won't do anything for that.

Wow really? Were they offensive or defensive targets?

Not sure. Someone on the game thread just said that they were 2-3 rows behind several prospects and that they had been making some bad statements about us.

Alright thanks

Neither will being a whiny lil bi*#H about it. Auburn football will move on with or without your support I promise .

Can't get any more truth than this. No matter what we write the game will be played. If someone wants to be critical or pump sunshine, i say go right ahead.

Neither will being a whiny lil bi*#H about it. Auburn football will move on with or without your support I promise

No bigger supporters than the people here. We just don't agree on the "positive" about tonight's performance. Sorry you think there is not room for that here.

I feel we regressed offensively after the change. Where do you go from here? Do you make another change? Sure Sean made his first start, but JJ had only one before the season opener. The difference is the hype placed on one vs the other. Do you let them alternate or do you keep the fans happy with your second best guy?

I don't know how you feel we regressed with White. He was not the reason for 9 points. The O line couldn't protect him in the passing game and Gus's play calling ability goes right out the window inside the 20. The running game worked better because at least White showed some ability to run the zone read which JJ has shown zero of. I don't mind if you disagree with my positives but I do wonder what game you were watching. Our defense hasn't been able to stop anyone and they made several stops in this game and held MSU to 3 second half points. Regardless of how good or bad MSU turns out to be that is progress for our D which had issues stopping Jax friggin State. White looked confident and poised, two things JJ has not shown. Running game looked better than it has all year, how are these not positives?

So you feel the offensive line, coaching/play calling and defensive constraints all popped up tonight? News flash, they've always been there, and as a result we DIDNT EVEN SCORE A TOUCHDOWN! They were there last week and the weeks before, but points were less of an issue. Sean White started tonight to make sure the stadium was full and engaged, but we are not a better team.

So you feel the offensive line, coaching/play calling and defensive constraints all popped up tonight? News flash, they've always been there, and as a result we DIDNT EVEN SCORE A TOUCHDOWN! They were there last week and the weeks before, but points were less of an issue. Sean White started tonight to make sure the stadium was full and engaged, but we are not a better team.

I was not one who thought changing QB's was going to solve anything in the first place, in fact when Gus first announced it I was thinking it might be a mistake. This team has now and has had since the first of the year more issues than just QB for sure. All I am saying is White seemed to me to add something JJ was lacking. No he didn't produce more points in his first game but having watched three games worth of JJ throwing INT's and making bad reads I figure what the heck. I just find it odd when a new poster comes in right after a loss and starts in with the negative stuff. After a nightmare two weeks of nearly losing to an FCS school and getting absolutely embarrassed in Baton Rouge forgive me if I tried to take some positives away from this game where at least our D showed up some and our running game looked much better.

I can't state this enough, CRL is calling these plays and it is ruining us. Everyone wants to blame Gus but it is Rhett that is holding us back.

I can't state this enough, CRL is calling these plays and it is ruining us. Everyone wants to blame Gus but it is Rhett that is holding us back.

So at what point does Gus say enough is enough and take back control?

So at what point does Gus say enough is enough and take back control?

Hoping by the end of the season Rhett is out, Dcraig is OC (who should be running the offense anyway) and we can hire a top notch recruiter who can coach up the WRs as I believe CDC would take over QB coach duties.

Is Gus responsible for holding? What about a bad snap?.....oooh maybe a missed FG? Still no? Some of you are complete idiots on here. Still terrible effort by a few starters then you factor in a few mental mistakes and the rest is history. On a positive note white is a leader that this team needs. If the o line could actually provide some time to pass block maybe we could see some deep passes. They did however do a good job on run blocking. Another positive note no team in this conference is unbeatable so we should see continued improvement.

The O line is all four and give star guys! Every team in the country offered them and they choose AU!

So what happened? I'm sorry, no,excuses here! We should not, repeat not, be this bad!!

Gus is semi-responsible for that bad snap. Tell me one other coach that wouldn't line up with your QB and run a quarterback sneak; literally tell your QB, go out there and fall forward and we score. Why in the world, for that very reason, would you line your team up in the shotgun?? Yes, poor execution, but don't put your team in that situation! Don't get cute, SCORE!!! The missed field goal was just a perfect storm of this. Guys, if you don't think there was an issue with coaching tonight, you're wrong. Game management has been pretty poor for the last year or so. Hope Gus is just in a funk.

Archived