DL Play

ALTiger

JMO. What I've seen is slow get off. Seems like the opposing oline is in our face before were out of our stance. These guys (excluding Adams and Russell at times) just don't seem to have the mean streak it takes to play dline in the SEC. Maybe its there and coaches just haven't found it yet but until we start to fire off the ball looking to rip heads off rather than stand up and catch blockers we will continue to struggle.

The part about lack of a mean streak can be said about our oline as well. IMO

You gotta have some serious dog in you to play up front. You have to outfight and outwork the other guy on every play. I don't see any dogs out there for us. I don't see anyone that demands a double team or anyone the other coach would point out on film and highlight as a priority for blocking schemes. Technique is important but you gotta just whip the other guy's butt to be a good DL.

Monty, but only Monty.

T think Russell has played well. Our d ends aren't good. We don't have any fast twitch athletes at d end.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JMO. What I've seen is slow get off. Seems like the opposing oline is in our face before were out of our stance. These guys (excluding Adams and Russell at times) just don't seem to have the mean streak it takes to play dline in the SEC. Maybe its there and coaches just haven't found it yet but until we start to fire off the ball looking to rip heads off rather than stand up and catch blockers we will continue to struggle.

You gotta have some serious dog in you to play up front. You have to outfight and outwork the other guy on every play. I don't see any dogs out there for us. I don't see anyone that demands a double team or anyone the other coach would point out on film and highlight as a priority for blocking schemes. Technique is important but you gotta just whip the other guy's butt to be a good DL.

Monty, but only Monty.

T think Russell has played well. Our d ends aren't good. We don't have any fast twitch athletes at d end.

Muschamp has said that Cowart's playing well, but who knows if that's just to placate him or what.

Monty, but only Monty.

Muschamp has said that Cowart's playing well, but who knows if that's just to placate him or what.

I think it means he is playing well for a freshman learning the SEC game not that he is playing well compared to more experienced players. My opinion I could be wrong.

Monty, but only Monty.

I think it means he is playing well for a freshman learning the SEC game not that he is playing well compared to more experienced players. My opinion I could be wrong.

i think you are right. but i think he and all of us wrongfully expected more from Cowart. Not his fault. so he may also be placating.

I just want Rocker back. Rodney just needs to be the head recruiter and let a mean SOB take over actually teaching them how to play like mean SOB's on the interior DL. We need some Fairley's in the middle of the defense. Playing DL in the SEC takes a mean streak and even though we have one very talented player (Monty) none of them look like they are mean enough.

I just want Rocker back. Rodney just needs to be the head recruiter and let a mean SOB take over actually teaching them how to play like mean SOB's on the interior DL. We need some Fairley's in the middle of the defense. Playing DL in the SEC takes a mean streak and even though we have one very talented player (Monty) none of them look like they are mean enough.

Rockers D line looked good against Bama.......... (Sarcasm font)

Yeah but sarcasm our d line looked good against jax and San Jose st....Alabama is a barometer.....

Don't think you'll see Rocker back in Auburn for a long time. jmo

Braden Smith was an outstanding D lineman in high school and I'm entertaining a thought that he may be needed there next season more than on the O line. Just a thought.

We all just need to be patient. We want a fast quick fix and it is not going to be this year or several. We can ride a roller coaster like we have but the lows really hurt as much as the highs feel good. Keeping a staff intact and not an ad hoc staff like we have sometimes had, recruit to match our school as well as our team schemes, and not depend upon freshmen as we have out of desperation done in the past are good starts.

It is getting harder and harder for people like me to defend RG. Just not impressed with what he has brought from recruiting, to development, to their play on the field.

2013 seemed like an upgrade across the board from the staff that was previously in place. Dee Ford really helped that DL out throughout the entire season coming up with timely sacks and big plays. But since then it has been a pretty ugly showing by the DL. And we have had Ford, Blackson, and Gabe Wright who are all on NFL rosters right now. I don't think Blackson or Wright showed they could be good NFL players but the NFL doesn't agree with this. So one has to wonder why weren't they showing their NFL abilities on Saturdays?

If he's not coaching the DL very well then he should be at least killing it on the recruiting trail but that doesn't seem to be the case either. Lets hope he turns it around in some capacity at least

For years Auburn had some truly great DO 's. But ever since Muschamp left, not only has our FL sucked, but our overall defense as well. Hopefully, Muschamp will stay long enough to get this mess cleaned up.

Don't think you'll see Rocker back in Auburn for a long time. jmo

Agree. I really wanted Muschamp to bring his DL coach from UF with him last season.

wde

I'll add to that question.

I'm not necessarily in the "fire Garner" camp. But I see poor DL play and obviously the recruiting signs aren't good. That said... IF CWM deems Garner the problem and decides to let him go, do we benefit from doing it sooner than later? Giving over DL duties to someone else on staff? Are there any good unemployed candidates out there now? (Honest question, but maybe a stupid one, and I'm okay with that.)

I'll add to that question.

I'm not necessarily in the "fire Garner" camp. But I see poor DL play and obviously the recruiting signs aren't good. That said... IF CWM deems Garner the problem and decides to let him go, do we benefit from doing it sooner than later? Giving over DL duties to someone else on staff? Are there any good unemployed candidates out there now? (Honest question, but maybe a stupid one, and I'm okay with that.)

I believe the answer to the Garner question/problem is to allow Muschamp to solve this problem. He needs to be the one who decides who he wants on the DL. I trust him to make the right decision, because i believe he makes that kind of decision based on what's best for the defense/team.

I don't know if it's coaching. But I'm watching Mizzou and Florida, both of whom always put on a pass rush. And it's been years since our guys could get off blocks.

It is coaching.

wde

I don't know if it's coaching. But I'm watching Mizzou and Florida, both of whom always put on a pass rush. And it's been years since our guys could get off blocks.

Missouri's DL coach is very impressive. Multiple standout guys seemingly every year...guys going on to the NFL. Its not like they're loading up on 5-star recruits either.

Missouri's DL coach is very impressive. Multiple standout guys seemingly every year...guys going on to the NFL. Its not like they're loading up on 5-star recruits either.

So basically, we need to look into hiring their DL coach.

Archived