***Auburn 30 Kentucky 27 Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

I feel like Carlton Davis may end up being the best DB we've had since Carlos Rogers. I'll be so happy when Cass and Kris are graduated.

^^This^^

Yep, I was very critical of Carlton early in the season for not getting his head around even though he had good coverage. He has improved week to week and seems to be slowly settling into that lockdown corner role. Major props to him

He attacks the ball instead of receiver. He takes a shot at the pick when it's there. Great instincts.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sloppy play. Sloppy play calling. Poor defense. Inconsistent qb play. We deserved a loss in this one. I'm just happy UK did as well.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still don't like what I've seen of white. Seems like a game manager type quarterback, which doesn't work well for this system. I hope we are looking at the juco level for someone with a stronger arm that is either athletic, consistent, or both.

A win is a win, but we HAVE to find an identity on offense.

:-\/>

He made some great throws in the first half.

The issue is arm strength. Every pass he threw over 15ish yards stayed in the air too long. A good DB would've eaten up almost all of his deep passes. He is not a threat to run and can't stretch the defense vertical. If I'm a DC, I would just bring everyone into the box. In a system that requires explosive plays, I don't think white can generate them against good defenses.

And you get paid to observe stuff..... and still came up with this ?

The issue is mind strength. He can't observe stuff vertical [sic].

:poke:/>

You guys are making a common error known as Halo Error, which is where you make a global assessment of performance and retroactively use that to judge dimensions. White played well. He did enough for us to win. He made good decisions and most of his short to medium passes were on target. He is clearly the best option we have right now.

Take the blinders off. His deep passes did not have any steam on them. He often underthrew and many of his passes were floated. His first deep pass to Louis was a perfect example of this. If the DB had turned around, it would have probably been intercepted. That means that White has a ceiling. He can't create explosive plays with his arm or legs. We can be good with white, but we need a qb with more physical ability if we want to be a great team.

nah....you must have been watching a different game than the one I saw....and perhaps have forgotten he is a college freshman and not an NFL QB.

You are right. He is a freshmen. Freshmen usually struggle with the mental components of the game. White doesn't. He is very impressive mentally. In the right system, he would be really great. The problem is that the stuff he is struggling with is unlikely to improve that much. You can only do so much to make someone more mobile. You can improve throw strength, but only to a certain point. White is not going to learn how to be faster or throw harder. Those things are relatively stable. This system needs big plays, and due to physical limitations he is not a guy that will likely be able to deliver them.

LOL..ok.

Feel free to disagree, but there is no reason to be rude. Act like an adult.

A couple of observations.....

I liked the improvement on O, Gus mentally checks out thinking of Waffle House in 3rd Qtrs.

Defense is what it is. Just hope CWM really means he is in it for the long haul.

Gus didn't lose the team. In fact the team now looks like they are enjoying football again.

I agree gus hasn't lost the team. I'm starting to wonder however is Will has lost the D. Worst d performance I've seen in my life. It won't show up on the stat sheet, but roughly 8-10 blatently dropped passes are the only reason we won tonight and the only reason KY punted more than once. If KY had receivers that actually caught the ball, they would have very easily scored 40+. I'm beginning to wonder about DC coaches who just got fired as HCs being capable of immediately becoming DCs again. Right now we seem to be proving twice in a row its a terrible idea.

The guys he may have "lost"or never had to begin with are upperclassmen. You see fire from a lot of the young bucks on D and some poor effort from the upper classmen. I put that on those guys and not the D staff just yet, give them some time. Although I will say the big cushions on WR's are killing me.

White is 2-1 as the starting QB. Was he flawless? Absolutely not. But he made some big plays and never seemed to get rattled. On defense it is what is and unfortunately what it is is bad.

That throw to Ricardo over the middle while evading a defender that could've been a sack was a nice pass. Ricardo adjusted to it nicely. You could tell that Sean was in a nice little groove in the 1st half. We were mixing it up nice with the run...passing..wildcat and even a couple nice runs from Sean. I want to see more of that offense!

Ol' noodle arm White, you mean?!

(Yellow font)

haha. I seriously don't get the criticism being laid on this kid. It's not coming from many thank goodness but my God what do people expect from SW though. I just don't get it.

I feel like Carlton Davis may end up being the best DB we've had since Carlos Rogers. I'll be so happy when Cass and Kris are graduated.

^^This^^

I don''t know ...IMO, everyone will be glad when Kris and Cas are gone......until they are gone. It's not like we have a stable or LB's ready to play.

Well I know what you mean but heck we got to start somewhere with new LB's

I know but everyone rode Holland unmercifully for an entire season...and when he was gone, we had no one any better ....or maybe as good.

Just that LB is in a highly visible location and everyone sees what they do or don't do...and probably nobody notices when a DL gets pancaked leaving a big hole for the RB or the DE crashes and leaves the entire perimeter of the defense undefended.....and of course in the SEC everyone has pretty good RBs.

It looked like Gus had Dameyune Craig near him the whole time tonight too. Don't know what that means but it was noticeable.

I kind of noticed that as well. Gus high fived him on a TD play if i recall correctly. Maybe it's been going on...idk but i did think Craig seemed to be hanging closer to Gus tonight.

Noticed that too. I also found it interesting that after the illegal substitution penalty you could read Gus's lips asking for the next pay. Guess it's still play calling by committee, just wonder who's on the committee.

I was encouraged by first half play of O and I liked that the defense was able the get the final stop. A confidence game to build on.

Man did it feel like they were better than 5/13 on 3rd down. But a win's a win!!

That is hard to believe. We made some TERRIBLE third down plays on defense.

Feels a lot like 2009. Nothing more or less. SW is better than Chris Todd. Defenses are eerily similar. At least we beat UK this time around. Can't wait until we sign Cam in the winter and win the NC. War Eagle.

So we go to Tampa three years in a row?

Sloppy play. Sloppy play calling. Poor defense. Inconsistent qb play. We deserved a loss in this one. I'm just happy UK did as well.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still don't like what I've seen of white. Seems like a game manager type quarterback, which doesn't work well for this system. I hope we are looking at the juco level for someone with a stronger arm that is either athletic, consistent, or both.

The issue is arm strength. Every pass he threw over 15ish yards stayed in the air too long. A good DB would've eaten up almost all of his deep passes. He is not a threat to run and can't stretch the defense vertical. If I'm a DC, I would just bring everyone into the box. In a system that requires explosive plays, I don't think white can generate them against good defenses.

You guys are making a common error known as Halo Error, which is where you make a global assessment of performance and retroactively use that to judge dimensions. White played well. He did enough for us to win. He made good decisions and most of his short to medium passes were on target. He is clearly the best option we have right now.

Take the blinders off. His deep passes did not have any steam on them. He often underthrew and many of his passes were floated. His first deep pass to Louis was a perfect example of this. If the DB had turned around, it would have probably been intercepted. That means that White has a ceiling. He can't create explosive plays with his arm or legs. We can be good with white, but we need a qb with more physical ability if we want to be a great team.

Just to be clear I'm not calling SW the next Montana but...yku know who else had a "subpar arm" while having a great head for the game...

I saw a QB making his first start on the road that never got rattled and still gave his playmakers a chance to make a play. Ceiling or not, White will be a special player at Auburn before he's done.

I'm just so happy to get that SEC losing streak off our backs. I'll take a win like this any day. Still a lot of ball left to play folks.

Look there was times Muscamp had the right defense dialed but the players failed to make the play...Like on Boom's long run. Other times we just can't get the pressure or the db's are getting turned around.... So don't blame your Coach. Also it seems every time the blitz is there, someone seems to slip or overrun the play... Just snake bit... So just be patient and things will be better when you get more to work with.

but please , let's see if we can stop the 10-15 yard passes underneath the zone

Reading through this thread I have to ask, have some of you seen UGA play this year? NoW I know we haven't been great but UGA isn't a bunch of world beaters.

SW's improvement will be dramatic come seasons end.

I'm just so happy to get that SEC losing streak off our backs. I'll take a win like this any day. Still a lot of ball left to play folks.

How did you feel about the way Ford passed today?

Just to be clear I'm not calling SW the next Montana but...yku know who else had a "subpar arm" while having a great head for the game...

I saw a QB making his first start on the road that never got rattled and still gave his playmakers a chance to make a play. Ceiling or not, White will be a special player at Auburn before he's done.

I don't necessarily agree, but I understand where you are coming from. I guess we will see how things play out against good defenses.

OK. But you do realize that everyone has a ceiling, right? Until this last post, you were guilty of something approaching the perfectionist fallacy. Also, SW is still young. I suspect that his arm strength will improve more than you think; and he's pretty nifty with his feet, especially moving around in the pocket.

That said, I agree with cole, basically. SW has clearly established himself as our best option. But he's not Cam or Nick or Tom Brady at this point.

ETA: Sorry, selias -- I misread this as being posted by behaviorscientist. No wonder this last post sounded more reasonable.

:slapfh:

Most of it was intended for him, based on his earlier posts.

This was a complete team win. Special teams got us good field position, offense scored enough and the defense sealed it. This was the kind of win you can build on

You are correct, sir..something positive to build upon.

Feels a lot like 2009. Nothing more or less. SW is better than Chris Todd. Defenses are eerily similar. At least we beat UK this time around. Can't wait until we sign Cam in the winter and win the NC. War Eagle.

Post of the night! Drop the mic and walk off Doug...

How did you feel about the way Ford passed today?

Solid overall. As good or better than anyone else we've got.

OK. But you do realize that everyone has a ceiling, right? Until this last post, you were guilty of something approaching the perfectionist fallacy. Also, SW is still young. I suspect that his arm strength will improve more than you think; and he's pretty nifty with his feet, especially moving around in the pocket.

That said, I agree with cole, basically. SW has clearly established himself as our best option. But he's not Cam or Nick or Tom Brady at this point.

ETA: Sorry, selias -- I misread this as being posted by behaviorscientist. No wonder this last post sounded more reasonable.

:slapfh:/>

Most of it was intended for him, based on his earlier posts.

Everyone has a ceiling. I just haven't seen SW try to be something he's not. He'll never be a Jeff George and probably not another Brady but he plays within the scheme and his team mates and I don't see that as a bad thing

Glad to see Carlson back in form - 100% on field goals and extra points and the only kickoff not a touchback was on purpose. His deep kickoffs kept them starting on the 25 whereas we typically were beyond the 25 for our starts - made a difference for field position.

How do you block posts?

Archived