***Auburn 30 Kentucky 27 Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

Sloppy play. Sloppy play calling. Poor defense. Inconsistent qb play. We deserved a loss in this one. I'm just happy UK did as well.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still don't like what I've seen of white. Seems like a game manager type quarterback, which doesn't work well for this system. I hope we are looking at the juco level for someone with a stronger arm that is either athletic, consistent, or both.

A win is a win, but we HAVE to find an identity on offense.

:-\/>

He made some great throws in the first half.

The issue is arm strength. Every pass he threw over 15ish yards stayed in the air too long. A good DB would've eaten up almost all of his deep passes. He is not a threat to run and can't stretch the defense vertical. If I'm a DC, I would just bring everyone into the box. In a system that requires explosive plays, I don't think white can generate them against good defenses.

And you get paid to observe stuff..... and still came up with this ?

The issue is mind strength. He can't observe stuff vertical [sic].

:poke:/>

You guys are making a common error known as Halo Error, which is where you make a global assessment of performance and retroactively use that to judge dimensions. White played well. He did enough for us to win. He made good decisions and most of his short to medium passes were on target. He is clearly the best option we have right now.

Take the blinders off. His deep passes did not have any steam on them. He often underthrew and many of his passes were floated. His first deep pass to Louis was a perfect example of this. If the DB had turned around, it would have probably been intercepted. That means that White has a ceiling. He can't create explosive plays with his arm or legs. We can be good with white, but we need a qb with more physical ability if we want to be a great team.

Just to be clear I'm not calling SW the next Montana but...yku know who else had a "subpar arm" while having a great head for the game...

I saw a QB making his first start on the road that never got rattled and still gave his playmakers a chance to make a play. Ceiling or not, White will be a special player at Auburn before he's done.

OK. But you do realize that everyone has a ceiling, right? Until this last post, you were guilty of something approaching the perfectionist fallacy. Also, SW is still young. I suspect that his arm strength will improve more than you think; and he's pretty nifty with his feet, especially moving around in the pocket.

That said, I agree with cole, basically. SW has clearly established himself as our best option. But he's not Cam or Nick or Tom Brady at this point.

ETA: Sorry, selias -- I misread this as being posted by behaviorscientist. No wonder this last post sounded more reasonable.

:slapfh:/>

Most of it was intended for him, based on his earlier posts.

Everyone has a ceiling. I just haven't seen SW try to be something he's not. He'll never be a Jeff George and probably not another Brady but he plays within the scheme and his team mates and I don't see that as a bad thing

Jeff George?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sloppy play. Sloppy play calling. Poor defense. Inconsistent qb play. We deserved a loss in this one. I'm just happy UK did as well.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still don't like what I've seen of white. Seems like a game manager type quarterback, which doesn't work well for this system. I hope we are looking at the juco level for someone with a stronger arm that is either athletic, consistent, or both.

The issue is arm strength. Every pass he threw over 15ish yards stayed in the air too long. A good DB would've eaten up almost all of his deep passes. He is not a threat to run and can't stretch the defense vertical. If I'm a DC, I would just bring everyone into the box. In a system that requires explosive plays, I don't think white can generate them against good defenses.

You guys are making a common error known as Halo Error, which is where you make a global assessment of performance and retroactively use that to judge dimensions. White played well. He did enough for us to win. He made good decisions and most of his short to medium passes were on target. He is clearly the best option we have right now.

Take the blinders off. His deep passes did not have any steam on them. He often underthrew and many of his passes were floated. His first deep pass to Louis was a perfect example of this. If the DB had turned around, it would have probably been intercepted. That means that White has a ceiling. He can't create explosive plays with his arm or legs. We can be good with white, but we need a qb with more physical ability if we want to be a great team.

Just to be clear I'm not calling SW the next Montana but...yku know who else had a "subpar arm" while having a great head for the game...

I saw a QB making his first start on the road that never got rattled and still gave his playmakers a chance to make a play. Ceiling or not, White will be a special player at Auburn before he's done.

OK. But you do realize that everyone has a ceiling, right? Until this last post, you were guilty of something approaching the perfectionist fallacy. Also, SW is still young. I suspect that his arm strength will improve more than you think; and he's pretty nifty with his feet, especially moving around in the pocket.

That said, I agree with cole, basically. SW has clearly established himself as our best option. But he's not Cam or Nick or Tom Brady at this point.

ETA: Sorry, selias -- I misread this as being posted by behaviorscientist. No wonder this last post sounded more reasonable.

Everyone has a ceiling. I just haven't seen SW try to be something he's not. He'll never be a Jeff George and probably not another Brady but he plays within the scheme and his team mates and I don't see that as a bad thing

Yeah -- I mistakenly responded to you when I meant to be responding to what Behavior Scientist said earlier. You and I agree. See my edit.

I'm just so happy to get that SEC losing streak off our backs. I'll take a win like this any day. Still a lot of ball left to play folks.

How did you feel about the way Ford passed today?

Solid overall. As good or better than anyone else we've got.

That was supposed to be played lol. But I always wondered about him being physical but if he continues to improve on his hitting...well we might have a different guy who could be much better than I originally thought...

Jeff George?

Cannon arm.

Feels a lot like 2009. Nothing more or less. SW is better than Chris Todd. Defenses are eerily similar. At least we beat UK this time around. Can't wait until we sign Cam in the winter and win the NC. War Eagle.

The offense is starting to remind me of Gus's 2006 Arkansas.

Jeff George?

Had a cannon arm I believe

I'm just so happy to get that SEC losing streak off our backs. I'll take a win like this any day. Still a lot of ball left to play folks.

That was supposed to be played lol. But I always wondered about him being physical but if he continues to improve on his hitting...well we might have a different guy who could be much better than I originally thought...

I was gonna ask if that was a trick question.

A couple of observations.....

I liked the improvement on O, Gus mentally checks out thinking of Waffle House in 3rd Qtrs.

Defense is what it is. Just hope CWM really means he is in it for the long haul.

Gus didn't lose the team. In fact the team now looks like they are enjoying football again.

I agree gus hasn't lost the team. I'm starting to wonder however is Will has lost the D. Worst d performance I've seen in my life. It won't show up on the stat sheet, but roughly 8-10 blatently dropped passes are the only reason we won tonight and the only reason KY punted more than once. If KY had receivers that actually caught the ball, they would have very easily scored 40+. I'm beginning to wonder about DC coaches who just got fired as HCs being capable of immediately becoming DCs again. Right now we seem to be proving twice in a row its a terrible idea.

When are people going to understand that he does not have the horses to even field an average defense? WMC doesn't even go crazy on the sideline anymore because I believe he understands this and is buying his time until he gets his players here.

Any word on Roc......went out before half time and never came back....

He's a little banged up and day by day.

But he practiced well. Bazinga! Too soon?

I liked the improvement on O, Gus mentally checks out thinking of Waffle House in 3rd Qtrs.

Defense is what it is. Just hope CWM really means he is in it for the long haul.

Gus didn't lose the team. In fact the team now looks like they are enjoying football again.

Haha....the waffle house

I know I'm in the minority, but I still don't like what I've seen of white. Seems like a game manager type quarterback, which doesn't work well for this system. He makes mostly good decisions, but is not going to be able to run read option and doesn't have the arm to get the ball deep. I hope we are looking at the juco level for someone with a stronger arm that is either athletic, consistent, or both.

A win is a win, but we HAVE to find an identity on offense or the rest of the teams on our schedule (aside from Idaho) are going to eat us alive.

HUH? So you saw no improvements? What didn't you like from White? H3ll he threw zero INTs....that alone is good for the season we've been having.

There are two or three on this forum that have nothing good to say about White. You know who you are. Nuff said. Sean didn't play a perfect game but he is getting better each week IMO. I was actually hoping Gus would put JJ in toward the end of 3rd Q. We needed a spark at that time. Maybe a different QB could ignite the team.

I agree gus hasn't lost the team. I'm starting to wonder however is Will has lost the D. Worst d performance I've seen in my life. It won't show up on the stat sheet, but roughly 8-10 blatently dropped passes are the only reason we won tonight and the only reason KY punted more than once. If KY had receivers that actually caught the ball, they would have very easily scored 40+. I'm beginning to wonder about DC coaches who just got fired as HCs being capable of immediately becoming DCs again. Right now we seem to be proving twice in a row its a terrible idea.

When are people going to understand that he does not have the horses to even field an average defense? WMC doesn't even go crazy on the sideline anymore because I believe he understands this and is buying his time until he gets his players here.

Yes, that is very correct. Just wait till WMC has another decent recruiting class and some more experience for the freshmen he has to play this year. The defense will getting better this year and be fine next year.

I was gonna ask if that was a trick question.

Ha, auto-correct feature. We'll go with that anyway.

I feel like Carlton Davis may end up being the best DB we've had since Carlos Rogers. I'll be so happy when Cass and Kris are graduated.

^^This^^

Yep, I was very critical of Carlton early in the season for not getting his head around even though he had good coverage. He has improved week to week and seems to be slowly settling into that lockdown corner role. Major props to him

Carlton is going to be a good one..

He's getting great experience. Holsey had a good start as a young corner but high hopes for the true freshman Carlton Davis

What the hell is Gus smiling about.

Not sure why the excitement. That was Kentucky. I have poured all my kool aid packets and all.

He wussed out a win against a no body.

He laid an egg in the 2nd half

He remains predictable

He continues to run same crazy plays for last three years with poor results

He still shows no guts

Say hat you want but this is not improvement. If so tell me where it gets better. Again this is Kentucky.

We can't play with big boys and we are out of contention for SEC west and a decent bowl.

Go ahead and take a sip and convince yourself playing in a laughing stock bowl has practice value. I call crap.

If pre season to know won't help us what the heck with two more weeks do! Instill more poor techniques??

Bama and UGA will embarrass us.

One of you gurus give me Gus records vs

Lsu

Bama

UGA

Yes this is Kentucky No. 2 in the East. Last two times we played the Wildcats we lost 14-7 with Chris Todd. Then we won with a similar score to this one (3 point win as I recall) with Cam on the way to National Championship. War Eagle!!!

Not sure why the excitement. That was Kentucky. I have poured all my kool aid packets and all.

He remains predictable

He still shows no guts

Say hat you want but this is not improvement. If so tell me where it gets better. Again this is Kentucky.

We can't play with big boys and we are out of contention for SEC west and a decent bowl.

Go ahead and take a sip and convince yourself playing in a laughing stock bowl has practice value. I call crap.

If pre season to know won't help us what the heck with two more weeks do! Instill more poor techniques??

Lsu

Bama

UGA

Yes this is Kentucky No. 2 in the East. Last two times we played the Wildcats we lost 14-7 with Chris Todd. Then we won with a similar score to this one (3 point win as I recall) with Cam on the way to National Championship. War Eagle!!!

That 2010 team sucked. Totally predictable. Run it with Cam; pass to Darvin; run it with Dyer; run it with Cam. They only beat Kentucky by 3!

I know I'm in the minority, but I still don't like what I've seen of white. Seems like a game manager type quarterback, which doesn't work well for this system. He makes mostly good decisions, but is not going to be able to run read option and doesn't have the arm to get the ball deep. I hope we are looking at the juco level for someone with a stronger arm that is either athletic, consistent, or both.

A win is a win, but we HAVE to find an identity on offense or the rest of the teams on our schedule (aside from Idaho) are going to eat us alive.

Well at least I know not to take anything seriously that you post from here on out. No need to sugarcoat it - uou have a football IQ of about 3. What a stupid post.

HUH? So you saw no improvements? What didn't you like from White? H3ll he threw zero INTs....that alone is good for the season we've been having.

There are two or three on this forum that have nothing good to say about White. You know who you are. Nuff said. Sean didn't play a perfect game but he is getting better each week IMO. I was actually hoping Gus would put JJ in toward the end of 3rd Q. We needed a spark at that time. Maybe a different QB could ignite the team.

Personally I'm glad Gus stuck w SW. Had JJ entered the game he might have a) ignited the team B) gone 3&out and ignited a bunch of questions or c) thrown a pick and ignited Gus's behind. The fact of the matter is SW stayed in and ignited a drive for a TD. The play calling was horribly conservative in the 3rd qtr. and UK had all the momentum. Momentum is difficult to swing in college ball. Please see UGA vs Tenn last week.

In all honesty, we were 2 plays away from being involved in a blowout. If we intercept the pass in the 2nd qtr, that's a TD. They scored 3 PT's on that drive. If we grab the ball in the end zone before halftime, it's a completely different game.

Nonetheless , we won. WDE!

Gee...maybe we should have lost this game after all....some of the crybaby "fans" might have gone elsewhere and we would not have to sort through all the negativism to find a few comments that sound like Auburn people.

JMO but one of the worst things to ever happen to the AU fan base was the BCS championship in 2010....brought out the bammer in way too many people who claim to be fans of Auburn University.

There's a big difference between being critical and making observations and being a crybaby. Granted, there are several of the latter that post on the board. The win was great but it doesn't make the deficiencies that are there any less important to correct. A few things I thought I saw was us lining up offsides on multiple defensive plays, and if we weren't, it was damn close. But that may have made up for the holding it looked like UK was doing on the DEs. Anyway, thankful for the win.

He remains predictable

He still shows no guts

Lsu

Bama

UGA

I have a suggestion 3J - please go cheer for another frickin team. Youre a loser.

This and every other AU board make me sad. This team played hard and beat an sec team on the road. AU is starting a redshirt freshman for the first time on the road. And we won.

No, we are not world beaters. We have huge holes in a lot of areas. But the team is not giving up. In 2012 we would have lost that game by double digits. This team found a way to win.

I am happy with the win. I Support the team and the coaches. That is what this team needs and deserves.

Personally I'm glad Gus stuck w SW. Had JJ entered the game he might have a) ignited the team B) gone 3&out and ignited a bunch of questions or c) thrown a pick and ignited Gus's behind. The fact of the matter is SW stayed in and ignited a drive for a TD. The play calling was horribly conservative in the 3rd qtr. and UK had all the momentum. Momentum is difficult to swing in college ball. Please see UGA vs Tenn last week.

In all honesty, we were 2 plays away from being involved in a blowout. If we intercept the pass in the 2nd qtr, that's a TD. They scored 3 PT's on that drive. If we grab the ball in the end zone before halftime, it's a completely different game.

Nonetheless , we won. WDE!

Oh I'm glad now he didn't make the change but at the time I thought that might be the right time to do it. I readily admit I was wrong unlike a few on the forum. :-\

Archived