2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to Franklin. I think the coaches are serious about the QB position being wide open. I think Franklin is going to get more than a fair share to start. I think CGM really wants a QB that is an excellent zone read talent, but also can throw well. Problem is, this is not easy to find at our level. I think he wishes that Gatewood was already at AU now. It will be interesting to see if Barrett gets a shot at all this year or if he gets a redshirt.

I think I'm easily the biggest gatewood fan on here. Been talking about him forever. He'd beat out all of our qb's if he was on campus and could go through spring drills imo

Don't know why people keep going back and forth and calling it anyway before they even practice.....

Aren't you doing the same thing by saying Gatewood would beat out all of our QB's right now? Before he even practices? Or am I misunderstanding?

I guess in a way when you put it that way. But I was sort of being funny in that post and also I'm speaking on him knowing he won't be on campus for two years if he stays committed. The SW and Franklin thing is real and will start in a month...

I guess in a way when you put it that way. But I was sort of being funny in that post and also I'm speaking on him knowing he won't be on campus for two years if he stays committed. The SW and Franklin thing is real and will start in a month...

I feel you

SW has shown Gus he has matured as a person.

Very interesting.

2 QB system. Ugh. (Until it works, then Gus will be a genius again, of course.)

What I mean is I can see SW winning the battle but JF3 playing in certain situations.

I see what you mean. That makes sense.

I think CGM really wants a QB that is an excellent zone read talent, but also can throw

well. Problem is, this is not easy to find at our level.

THANK YOU.

Of course a guy who can run well and throw well (and protect the ball, and make good decisions, etc.) is the ideal quarterback, for

any offense. But it's your second sentence that the "we need a DT guy" set doesn't seem to understand. They want a guy who can run, everything else be damned. Who cares if he can actually do any of the many, many other things a quarterback must do to be successful, right?

Sorry, /rant. I would love it if Franklin came in and gave us quality in every facet of the position, but I'm not going to assume that his running ability alone makes him a shoe-in for QB1.

Its strange to me that there seems to be this thought that the only way Franklin will play is that he can throw well to go along with his running but then be completely acceptable of SW being only a throwing threat without any running threat at all. And IMO an average thrower.

I think CGM really wants a QB that is an excellent zone read talent, but also can throw

THANK YOU.

Of course a guy who can run well and throw well (and protect the ball, and make good decisions, etc.) is the ideal quarterback, for

any offense. But it's your second sentence that the "we need a DT guy" set doesn't seem to understand. They want a guy who can run, everything else be damned. Who cares if he can actually do any of the many, many other things a quarterback must do to be successful, right?

Sorry, /rant. I would love it if Franklin came in and gave us quality in every facet of the position, but I'm not going to assume that his running ability alone makes him a shoe-in for QB1.

Its strange to me that there seems to be this thought that the only way Franklin will play is that he can throw well to go along with his running but then be completely acceptable of SW being only a throwing threat without any running threat at all. And IMO an average thrower.

Your opinion of Sean not withstanding, a running QB that can't throw makes a team one dimensional. A passing QB that can't run has running backs to hand the ball to.

THANK YOU.

Your opinion of Sean not withstanding, a running QB that can't throw makes a team one dimensional. A passing QB that can't run has running backs to hand the ball to.

Would have thought that one was common sense. A running QB that can't throw is the same as just running the wildcat every play. Single cover both receivers (with the occasional 3rd decoy...since the plan would be to run every down anyways) and stack 8 or 9 around the box... I dare you to run lol. Doesn't work out usually, with the occasional triple option team exception. A one dimensional player is a whole different entity than a one dimensional team.

Very interesting comments by Lashlee when he was speaking to Hockman.

http://auburn.247spo...-place-43668100

Meh. Salesman's gotta sell. I'm sore he has said that to every QB we have recruited since he's been here.

Im sure he didn't sell that to Frankin lol.

Meh. Salesman's gotta sell. I'm sore he has said that to every QB we have recruited since he's been here.

I'm sure CRL changes his spiel to his present audience. It seemed to work for Franklin.

I'm sure CRL changes his spiel to his present audience. It seemed to work for Franklin.

I know. Previous statement was a joke.

I got that, my comment was for all the JF3 fans that have already anointed Franklin our next starting QB based on CRL comments during his recruitment. Nothing will be decided until the fall. It will be fun to watch all the hoop la this spring.

I got that, my comment was for all the JF3 fans that have already anointed Franklin our next starting QB based on CRL comments during his recruitment. Nothing will be decided until the fall. It will be fun to watch all the hoop la this spring.

If the QB race drags into the fall, JF3 has a shot. That would tell me no one has stepped up above everyone else, and in that situation the athlete has the best shot. I don't believe he will win it in the spring, so I feel his best shot is to force it to fall.

I'll be floored if Franklin isn't named the starting QB.

He won't be. Jmo.

I strongly disagree based on Gus' offensive foundation being a smash-mouth, play-action run team that throws it vertically down the field.

We'll see come mid-August.

If the QB race drags into the fall, JF3 has a shot. That would tell me no one has stepped up above everyone else, and in that situation the athlete has the best shot. I don't believe he will win it in the spring, so I feel his best shot is to force it to fall.

Only one Gus QB at AU has won the position before Summer. That would be the NFL MVP, who beat out Trotter.

This will be the tightest race since Burns/Todd.

He won't be. Jmo.

I strongly disagree based on Gus' offensive foundation being a smash-mouth, play-action run team that throws it vertically down the field.

He'll probably have a shot if we just do the basics but it would be a shame to not get the playmakers we signed at receiver a chance to do damage.

He won't be. Jmo.

Gus' foundation has multiple "foundations" can't base that assessment off of what he's done at AU.

Only one Gus QB at AU has won the position before Summer. That would be the NFL MVP, who beat out Trotter.

This will be the tightest race since Burns/Todd.

Gus actually named JJ the starter after spring ball last year, that's why I think he won't announce early again. I don't know if announcing JJ early effected JJ's competitive fire or not but, IMO Gus won't announce it until fall. He may know who will be starting, but I don't think he will make it public until the fall.

Announcing the QB prior to the fall would not give Woody Barret his shot at the QB position. I believe he at least deserves a look.

[quote name=McLoofus'

timestamp='1455289848' post='2436598]

well. Problem is, this is not easy to find at our

level.

THANK YOU.

any offense. But it's your second sentence that the "we need a DT guy" set doesn't seem to

understand. They want a guy who can run, everything else be damned. Who cares if he can actually do any of the many, many other things a quarterback must do to be successful, right?

Sorry, /rant. I would love it if Franklin came in

and gave us quality in every facet of the position, but I'm not going to assume that his running ability alone makes him a shoe-in for QB1.

Its strange to me that there seems to be this thought that the only way Franklin will play is that he can throw well to go along with his running but then be completely acceptable of SW being only a throwing threat without any

running threat at all. And IMO an average thrower.

Your opinion of Sean not withstanding, a running QB that can't throw makes a team one

dimensional. A passing QB that can't run has running backs to hand the ball to.

Would have thought that one was common sense. A running QB that can't throw is the

same as just running the wildcat every play. Single cover both receivers (with the occasional 3rd decoy...since the plan would be to run every down anyways) and stack 8 or 9 around the box... I dare you to run lol. Doesn't work out usually, with the occasional triple option team

exception. A one dimensional player is a whole different entity than a one dimensional team.

And guess what, our O was awful last year. Both passing and running. How many times last year were we all just begging the QB to keep it just a few times?! How many times did we all think how much better our run game would be if our QB could just run it some?! It sure wasn't because we wanted a pocket passer. If we are going to be one dimensional I think we are much better running than throwing. Franklin is coming to be the QB. Will he? I don't know but we have seen what we are without a QB that can run.

[quote name=McLoofus'

timestamp='1455289848' post='2436598]

well. Problem is, this is not easy to find at our

level.

THANK YOU.

any offense. But it's your second sentence that the "we need a DT guy" set doesn't seem to

understand. They want a guy who can run, everything else be damned. Who cares if he can actually do any of the many, many other things a quarterback must do to be successful, right?

Sorry, /rant. I would love it if Franklin came in

and gave us quality in every facet of the position, but I'm not going to assume that his running ability alone makes him a shoe-in for QB1.

Its strange to me that there seems to be this thought that the only way Franklin will play is that he can throw well to go along with his running but then be completely acceptable of SW being only a throwing threat without any

running threat at all. And IMO an average thrower.

Your opinion of Sean not withstanding, a running QB that can't throw makes a team one

dimensional. A passing QB that can't run has running backs to hand the ball to.

Would have thought that one was common sense. A running QB that can't throw is the

same as just running the wildcat every play. Single cover both receivers (with the occasional 3rd decoy...since the plan would be to run every down anyways) and stack 8 or 9 around the box... I dare you to run lol. Doesn't work out usually, with the occasional triple option team

exception. A one dimensional player is a whole different entity than a one dimensional team.

And guess what, our O was awful last year. Both passing and running. How many times last year were we all just begging the QB to keep it just a few times?! How many times did we all think how much better our run game would be if our QB could just run it some?! It sure wasn't because we wanted a pocket passer. If we are going to be one dimensional I think we are much better running than throwing. Franklin is coming to be the QB. Will he? I don't know but we have seen what we are without a QB that can run.

You miss the entire point. A one dimensional passing QB does not create a one dimensional offense as there are still running backs. A one dimensional running QB makes the entire offense one dimensional. Your argument about a running QB doesn't apply because you're talking about a dual threat, not a running QB bad at throwing.

No way Gus names a starter before fall practice.

Archived