2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJ showed he is able to throw a pretty ball. That pass he completed to JS in the Louisville game was a thing of beauty. If there was a distinct moment that flipped the script for JJ, it may have been that play. It was called back due to holding and he later threw the pick the same drive maybe even the next play. Who knows how his confidence would have been if that was completed? Anyways that is another discussion that has worn itself out already on this board.

With the receivers we have, or quarterbacks will not necessarily have to be extremely accurate. These guys seem like they can go get it. As long as we stop throwing it directly to the opponent.

Has he made his perception his reality yet?

Not yet. I would be willing to bet the starting QB isn't announced until fall practice, but we will get a lot of reports out of spring.

Not yet. I would be willing to bet the starting QB isn't announced until fall practice, but we will get a lot of reports out of spring.

Boy I hope so....early anointing can be a dangerous thing.

I would be fine if Gus said...."want to know who is starting against Clemson...buy a ticket and come to the game".

DC has been working with him.

"Has been" "will be"....or none of the above.....do we actually know whether CDC was/ is/ will be....our sub rosa QB coach ?

"Has been" "will be"....or none of the above.....do we actually know whether CDC was/ is/ will be....our sub rosa QB coach ?

All I can say is DC is working with him...so I've been told

Hope he can gain at least 15 pounds in a hurry.

They have been working on that since he arrived on campus....weight/muscle

He eats 7 meals a day you guys lol

Hope he can gain at least 15 pounds in a hurry.

They have been working on that since he arrived on campus....weight/muscle

He eats 7 meals a day you guys lol

I can gain 15 pounds in a hurry, it just won't be muscle.

I would be fine if Gus said...."want to know who is starting against Clemson...buy a ticket and come to the game".

I'll be fine with that, as long as the team actually knows by the beginning of Fall practice. There's a lot to be said for the chemistry of a team when they have time to work under a set general, even if it's only when the media isn't watching.

I'll be fine with that, as long as the team actually knows by the beginning of Fall practice. There's a lot to be said for the chemistry of a team when they have time to work under a set general, even if it's only when the media isn't watching.

Agreed.

Also, I think too much is made of the "JJ was given the job" idea, i.e. I don't agree with it at all. There was a competition in the spring and the older, physically superior, much more experienced player won. The fact that he fell apart when the season started doesn't change that.

The more I see and read about this kid, the more I'm reminded of Nick Marshall. I don't know if he can throw worth a salt, but if his arm's good enough, he's got incredible speed.

Gus was bragging about his throwing ability today. I'm going to fight the urge to reference his read on JJ last year. :)/>

We have some serious receivers now for whoever steps up. Looks like at least 2 of the freshmen could have some impact this coming year.

Not sure I would categorize Malzahn's comments on JFIII's throwing as 'bragging'.

What he actually said is..." we THINK he throws the ball well...". Sorry but that is not bragging. That is saying they think he can be a good passer. If you look at his video he wasnt asked to throw much. He will need a lot of work to be the kind of passer that is accurate and makes the right decisions. That will determine if he wins the starting job and based on in game play...keeps it. He will not be the starter long if he cant throw consistent or makes mistakes. (INTs).

It is too early to tell..because I remember going to the A-day game Cam Newton played in...and he was TERRIBLE. So who knows...

I remember going to the A-day game Cam Newton played in...and he was TERRIBLE. So who knows...

I think some of the passes he overthrew that day are still in orbit over the Pacific right now.

All I can say is DC is working with him...so I've been told

wouldnt that be a violation?

Every one of our QB's can throw the ball. Some may be able to throw 70 yards and some only 55 or 60 yards, You seldom need to throw over 30 yards in a game. You need enough arm strength to thow the sideline route with some zip. Again all of our QB's on the roster come fall can do that. The parts that are difficult to judge is decision making especially under pressure, field vision, reading defenses, that innate sense that some QB's have to avoid a blindside rusher they felt but didn't see.

Which of our QB's will have those abilities. People on this board have given examples of QB's that didn't start out to well then a light came on so there is hope for JJ, SW ran a limited O but we did see him step up and avoid blind side rushes before he got hurt so there is hope for SW. Queen we saw in A-Day is big and strong with a good arm but with not seeing him against real opposition we know that he might or might not be able to do it so there is hope. Barrett and Franklin are unknowns with very good athletic talent and strong arms. We know Frankilin can run against Juco teams but we didn't see enough of him as he shared duties and barret is coming from HS which means he is potential only at this time.

We need at least two strong candidates to come out of spring and we need to allow the D to hit them some to see how they handle pressure. If two strong candidates come out of Spring I look for us to Redshirt Barrett.

Let the competition begin and hopefully find a QB that can bring the Auburn O back to its normal level of excellence.

My money is still on JJ! You can learn a lot through adversity like what he went through, and he has all the tangibles. So one more spring,summer, and fall could do wonders for him. jmho of course!

Every one of our QB's can throw the ball. Some may be able to throw 70 yards and some only 55 or 60 yards, You seldom need to throw over 30 yards in a game. You need enough arm strength to thow the sideline route with some zip. Again all of our QB's on the roster come fall can do that. The parts that are difficult to judge is decision making especially under pressure, field vision, reading defenses, that innate sense that some QB's have to avoid a blindside rusher they felt but didn't see.

Which of our QB's will have those abilities. People on this board have given examples of QB's that didn't start out to well then a light came on so there is hope for JJ, SW ran a limited O but we did see him step up and avoid blind side rushes before he got hurt so there is hope for SW. Queen we saw in A-Day is big and strong with a good arm but with not seeing him against real opposition we know that he might or might not be able to do it so there is hope. Barrett and Franklin are unknowns with very good athletic talent and strong arms. We know Frankilin can run against Juco teams but we didn't see enough of him as he shared duties and barret is coming from HS which means he is potential only at this time.

We need at least two strong candidates to come out of spring and we need to allow the D to hit them some to see how they handle pressure. If two strong candidates come out of Spring I look for us to Redshirt Barrett.

Let the competition begin and hopefully find a QB that can bring the Auburn O back to its normal level of excellence.

Good thoughts.

I agree, although White did seem to lose accuracy and distance when asked to throw deeper than 25 yards. I hope he can improve in this area.

I worry that JJ will never see the light when it comes to knowing the QB aspects of understanding defenses and alignments and making quick reads and decisions. He was throttled back so much late in the season, i dont know if can show improvement in that critical area. White seems to have a better knowledge of the field.

I just dont want to wait to find out in the first 2-3 games we are going to change QBs again. ugggh!

But we need someone who can stretch the field, make the consistent passes, and can make something happen when all hell breaks lose when pressured.

Am i asking too much?

p.s. The lack of quality SEC QBs was certainly CTT's downfall in the last 2-3 years for sure.

I think that JF-III will be the man this fall. I think he will outshine the other QBs for A-Day. If his decision making skills are learned quickly he will be a force to be reckoned with. One good thing is that I feel the JJ & SW could still step in and do a good job. All in all, we have some very solid QBs on the roster. I do think that in 2 years, Barrett will be the man.

He's making progress because at first it was just being a qb, now it's the starting qb

The more I see and read about this kid, the more I'm reminded of Nick Marshall. I don't know if he can throw worth a salt, but if his arm's good enough, he's got incredible speed.

Gus was bragging about his throwing ability today. I'm going to fight the urge to reference his read on JJ last year. :)/>

We have some serious receivers now for whoever steps up. Looks like at least 2 of the freshmen could have some impact this coming year.

Not sure I would categorize Malzahn's comments on JFIII's throwing as 'bragging'.

What he actually said is..." we THINK he throws the ball well...". Sorry but that is not bragging. That is saying they think he can be a good passer. If you look at his video he wasnt asked to throw much. He will need a lot of work to be the kind of passer that is accurate and makes the right decisions. That will determine if he wins the starting job and based on in game play...keeps it. He will not be the starter long if he cant throw consistent or makes mistakes. (INTs).

It is too early to tell..because I remember going to the A-day game Cam Newton played in...and he was TERRIBLE. So who knows...

That's about as much as Gus gives anybody....it was bragging

The sample of his play is so small I don't know what to think about his QB play, throwing or running. Wait and see I guess. I have no expectations or predictions......

Archived