Expectations by Cubelic

Weegle777

Do you agree or disagree with his assessment?

http://gridironnow.com/expectations-often-doom-the-auburn-tigers/

Expectations often doom the Auburn Tigers

By John Cubelic on November 4, 2015

(John Cubelic is a former Auburn wide receiver under Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizik. The Tigers’ offensive coordinator during his final season was Gus Malzahn.)

Over the past decade, residents of the state of Alabama have developed a warped view of success as it pertains to the world of college football. A confluence of factors has led to hyper-inflated expectations and hyperbolic consequences.

Nick Saban’s coaching staff has found a way to manage those expectations, usually by meeting them. Consequently, as Alabama’s football program has risen back to its historic prominence, and even exceeded it, Auburn’s program has been in a frantic search for ways of keeping up with the Sabans. For more than a few reasons, this attempt is unrealistic, unnecessary and perhaps even impossible.

During Saban’s tenure in Tuscaloosa, Auburn has experienced two truly miraculous seasons: 2010 and 2013. Both were led by new coaches, both punctuated by phenomenal individual efforts and both saw every ball bounce Auburn’s way. Every great team embraces the necessity of a little bit of luck; the Tide has been the beneficiary of ” ‘Bama Magic” for the better part of the century. But unlike the Alabama football machine that churns out winning records and championships like an assembly line, Auburn has been relying on miracles to make its national presence known. Take nothing away from the Tigers — a win is a win — but it is hard to compare this decade of Auburn football to that of their archrival’s. In fact, it’s unfair.

Toomers Corner

Miracles, like the Chris Davis “Kick-6” that led to the rolling of Toomers Corner, are great things. But don’t fall into the trap of expecting them. SHANNA LOCKWOOD/USA TODAY SPORTS

The pressure to not only succeed but excel at Auburn has been dramatically increased because of the national dominance shown by the Crimson Tide. The fervor to compete with “big brother” has caused Auburn staff and fans to place extraordinarily unrealistic expectations on Tigers teams year after year. And while every team starts the season with the goal of winning a championship, only one team does. The difference now is that anything less than winning a championship, at least in this state, is somehow viewed as a failure.

Auburn fans have been quick to compare this season to years past, either in similarities or differences. They have compared it to 2008 or 2012, or they have juxtaposed it with 2009 and even the championship years. Auburn fans, like their Crimson-wearing brethren, have started speaking about football in absolutes. One season is a miracle and the next is a disaster, as if those two words were antonyms. By definition, the opposite of a miracle — what Auburn is experiencing on the field this season — is something ordinary, normal or common.

If Auburn fans were honest with themselves, they would admit that an outlier season results in a championship, not the other way around. Simply wishing for miracles — or, worse, expecting them — does not mean said miracle will be granted. To compare your team to one of the truly great football dynasties of the past century does not put you on equal footing with them, no matter how much you want to be.

Auburn is a great program. Beginning with football and extending throughout the entire athletics department, Auburn represents the good in collegiate sportsmanship. That isn’t to say Auburn is alone, but it does mean that Auburn does things a certain way. Auburn never has been a football factory and that is for the better. Auburn never has placed winning at the center of its ethos, pathos or logos. It always has been about more than that.

So, bearing that in mind, as the Tigers continue to struggle through an unexpectedly rough season, remember that all of those who placed such lofty expectations on this team share equally, if not more so, in the inability to reach a bar set so high. Expectation, like potential, is nice but it means you haven’t accomplished anything yet.

It is good, in life, to have an enemy — someone who pushes you to be better, who exposes your weaknesses and who constantly demands your best. In Auburn’s case, that is Alabama. But however big their rivalry may be, Alabama measures itself on a different scale. Alabama has the weight of history, of destiny, of legend to live up to. Auburn fans would be wise not to measure their teams on that scale just yet because it’s tougher than it looks. There are many well-documented differences between the programs, and in every way, the two programs seek to eschew any similarities they may have.

Auburn should continue to embrace that it isn’t Alabama while simultaneously striving to generate its own version of success, measured by Auburn expectations, Auburn desires and Auburn potential. They may even find that through this process, it will establish not only its own brand but a state of independence — the state of Auburn.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any program would say championship seasons are an outliers rather than the norm. Even at Bama. They are on a historic run right now but that will come to an end eventually. However being in the hunt year after year is what most programs shoot for IMO

Second article by this guy I have read that is way off base. I have always thought that AU meaured their own success. I don't believe 2010 or 2013 were outliers. Under Dye and Tuuberville we had great success. In fact if those teams had been playing in this BCS environment I believe we would have been NC mix especially 88, 93 and 04 teams for sure. So not buying his lowered expectation mantra

Disagree,if you don't have high expectations and goals you will never be more than a middle of the road program.We should expect to win championships at Auburn.Auburn desevers it as much as anyone else and is as capable of competing and winning championships as any other program.

I don't expect to win a championship every year. The odds are greatly against that. I do expect for AU to be competitive each and every year, though. AU should be ranked or near the top 25 annually IMO.

I don't expect to win a championship every year. The odds are greatly against that. I do expect for AU to be competitive each and every year, though. AU should be ranked or near the top 25 annually IMO.

Man, I honestly think AU should be in the top 20 every single year. We have the resources and facilities (and recruiting classes) to do this. AU's floor should be 8-5 IMO. Especially with 3 cupcake games usually on the schedule.

I wish we could kill this notion that we expect success and that every ball bounced our way in years we did well, 2013 being just one example. Yes, Shug's humility and self-deprecation are a mile deep in our psychy but did John watch the 2013 title game? Every ball bounced our way in that game? His media-shared opinion is probably based on the tip-6 miracle against Georgia. Period. The most successful kickoff returner in the SEC that season returning a missed FG 105 yards against Bama is exciting...but not a miracle. Stopping Miss State on the 1 inch line is great D...but not a miracle. Playing LSU in a monsoon was SOOOO lucky that season. 2010 was miraculous? Really? We were lucky our 270 pound defender ran down Bama's starting running back and created a fumble? Our 2d half offense being just slightly better than Bama's 1st half O was miraculous or expected? Is Cubelic familiar with our "luck" in being awarded 1 1/2 national titles to go with our 11 undefeated seasons? Not getting a CHANCE to play for the national title in 2004 after beating five (5) top 10 teams is SO luck. If anything we're far from spoiled and expecting success & miracles, we EXPECT to get screwed or have unlucky bounces.

Disagree,if you don't have high expectations and goals you will never be more than a middle of the road program.We should expect to win championships at Auburn.Auburn desevers it as much as anyone else and is as capable of competing and winning championships as any other program.

If you expect to win championships every year you will be a miserable, miserable human being. I refuse to live that way.

He made some points that are accepted truths, some are not and in all total the article was a waste of time. Sorry but that is two now.

Second article by this guy I have read that is way off base. I have always thought that AU meaured their own success. I don't believe 2010 or 2013 were outliers. Under Dye and Tuuberville we had great success. In fact if those teams had been playing in this BCS environment I believe we would have been NC mix especially 88, 93 and 04 teams for sure. So not buying his lowered expectation mantra

You actually validate what he says NC mix 88 is 5 years from 93 and 93 is 11 years from 04 Even in the Dye Tuberville era we were not in the race every year. Bama is about the only team recently that has been in the race for an NC every year. But even the mighty Bama went a long time between Bear and Saban with only one NC under Stallings during that time and a lot of mediocre teams.

Do I want us to compete for championships every year of course, but most fans at the major schools want and often expect the same thing. All teams go through transitions. OU Dynasties, The Texas Dynasties, The USC Dynasties, The Miami Dynasties, Big Ten used to be the powerhouses, and now two Bama Dynasties one under Bear one under Saban and who is to say the Saban Dynasty is not waning. If LSU beats them they are out of playoff picture and they will have taken drubbings by OU and OSU in last few years. Not saying LSU will beat them but I would not be shocked if they do.

What he says makes sense.

While I don't agree with everything the article says, I wish every Auburn fan had this posted predominantly in their home and was proud to see it every day:

Auburn is a great program. Beginning with football and extending throughout the entire athletics department, Auburn represents the good in collegiate sportsmanship. That isn’t to say Auburn is alone, but it does mean that Auburn does things a certain way. Auburn never has been a football factory and that is for the better. Auburn never has placed winning at the center of its ethos, pathos or logos. It always has been about more than that.

I will agree with Cubelic that Bama's success has resulted in an anxiety among Auburn fans to keep up with them, but I don't think most fans expect a championship every year. Most of us just want to get off the roller coaster ride and have a team that is consistently competitive with our biggest rivals (and, hopefully, occasionally, be in the mix to win a championship). We go from winning a championship one year to getting blown out by Alabama and UGA the next. I want to see us get back to the consistency and physicality that we had under Dye in the late 80s. I don't think that is a pie-in-the-sky goal for Auburn.

I'm certainly not close to calling for coaches to be fired if we're not there right now and it takes us a few years to get there. Stability is essential to achieve sustained success.

What I basically read from Cubelic (and, frankly, find a little insulting) is, 'Know your place, Auburn. You can't expect to compete with Alabama.' That's a loser mentality.

Yes, unreasonable expectations have become the norm... just like across state. And truthfully as season began I was cautiously trying to remain tempered (albeit hard to do), until it came from the very-top down. . .

. . . with promises of tackling, pass protection over the middle, major developments, etc. And of course the usual Jeremy Johnson - Duke Williams preseason love fest, which was certainly considered nothing but gospel truth by almost everyone. But mainly because Gus was pretty excited too and spreading the hype really thick with

where he talks about starting and finishing SEC play in the dome. Maybe no one is exempt from the blame.... writers, player, fans, and coaches too...because if it's on the internet it must be true.

And maybe (perhaps) part of JJ's between the ears problem began not in his head, but rather started (or became infected) on sites like this one . And only built to unreasonable levels of absolute perfection, as creation of myth began before being made. Something the normal QB get's accustomed to, as the glory is gained. and not lavished upon before they (keyword >) start to shine (if ever at all). And which might be the larger common denominator to his failure than poor coaching alone. And reminiscent of another kid named Kiehl Frazier's woes.

Fortune favors the bold. - Pliny the Elder

Fortune favors the prepared mind. - Dr. Louis Pasteur

No team will always be in contention. If we prepare well and endeavor to act boldly, good things will happen when the opportunities arise.

I keep seeing and hearing AU fans say we should expect to contend every year and win a championship every so often and all this but honestly when has Auburn done this? Dye was consistent for a bout an 8 or 9 year period winning the SEC 4 times and being in the NC mix some but even he had disappointing years like 84 and 85 during that run. Tubbs had a good 3 year or so run but only got 1 SECC in 10 years. Remember this program went 15 years between SEC titles. I want Auburn to be a year in year out power as much as anyone but I am not sure Auburn can be that. I love Auburn and I embrace the underdog role and the Shug attitude of humility rather than the arrogance of our rivals. I do think Auburn should rarely suffer a season like 2012 or what this one could possibly be but most schools have these kinds of seasons too. The SEC is rough with the emergence of LSU in the last decade and the ascension of bama back to a power house not to mention the improving of the Miss schools . And even with all that Auburn has 3 SEC titles and a natty during that span to go along with the disasters of 08, 12 and possibly this year. Maybe thats about as good as we can expect?

Man, I honestly think AU should be in the top 20 every single year. We have the resources and facilities (and recruiting classes) to do this. AU's floor should be 8-5 IMO. Especially with 3 cupcake games usually on the schedule.

Even Better!!

My next question:

How can this happen at bama, but not at Auburn? What is different?

. . . the NCAA turns a blind eye ?

(not to be flippant)

My next question:

How can this happen at bama, but not at Auburn? What is different?

Great question. Cubelic seems to imply the Bama somehow sold their souls to become a football powerhouse

Cubelic seems to imply the Bama somehow sold their souls to become a football powerhouse

In many ways they did. They are more than willing to turn a blind eye to any indiscretion, if it helps them win football games. They treat teenage boys like property that they can toss away on a whim when the newer shinier model comes along. They walk the line on practically every single rule, and when they leap over the line, they use business and legal connections to create a smokescreen. They consider compassion a weakness and use every means necessary to stomp out any dissension. They recruit not only to build their ranks, but to prevent their opponents from competing, often to the detriment of players who ride the bench their whole career. When their competition is having more success than they are, they look for ways to undermine them, away from the football field. I could go on.

Alabama is not one of the most hated football programs in the country because they win... it's because of the lengths they go to win, the arrogance they exude no matter the situation, and how they act when they win (and when the lose for that matter).

Some think Auburn should be more like this, because they would win more football games... and they're right, we would. But then we wouldn't be Auburn and the reason Auburn is considered one of the best places, if not the best, in the country to watch a game would erode away. I, for one, hope that Auburn will always put sportsmanship, charity and family above all else.

I wish we could kill this notion that we expect success and that every ball bounced our way in years we did well, 2013 being just one example. Yes, Shug's humility and self-deprecation are a mile deep in our psychy but did John watch the 2013 title game? Every ball bounced our way in that game? His media-shared opinion is probably based on the tip-6 miracle against Georgia. Period. The most successful kickoff returner in the SEC that season returning a missed FG 105 yards against Bama is exciting...but not a miracle. Stopping Miss State on the 1 inch line is great D...but not a miracle. Playing LSU in a monsoon was SOOOO lucky that season. 2010 was miraculous? Really? We were lucky our 270 pound defender ran down Bama's starting running back and created a fumble? Our 2d half offense being just slightly better than Bama's 1st half O was miraculous or expected? Is Cubelic familiar with our "luck" in being awarded 1 1/2 national titles to go with our 11 undefeated seasons? Not getting a CHANCE to play for the national title in 2004 after beating five (5) top 10 teams is SO luck. If anything we're far from spoiled and expecting success & miracles, we EXPECT to get screwed or have unlucky bounces.

Agree with all you said excepting one thing. It was 109 yards.

http://gridironnow.c...-auburn-tigers/

Expectations often doom the Auburn Tigers

By John Cubelic on November 4, 2015

(John Cubelic is a former Auburn wide receiver under Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizik. The Tigers' offensive coordinator during his final season was Gus Malzahn.)

Over the past decade, residents of the state of Alabama have developed a warped view of success as it pertains to the world of college football. A confluence of factors has led to hyper-inflated expectations and hyperbolic consequences.

Nick Saban's coaching staff has found a way to manage those expectations, usually by meeting them. Consequently, as Alabama's football program has risen back to its historic prominence, and even exceeded it, Auburn's program has been in a frantic search for ways of keeping up with the Sabans. For more than a few reasons, this attempt is unrealistic, unnecessary and perhaps even impossible.

During Saban's tenure in Tuscaloosa, Auburn has experienced two truly miraculous seasons: 2010 and 2013. Both were led by new coaches, both punctuated by phenomenal individual efforts and both saw every ball bounce Auburn's way. Every great team embraces the necessity of a little bit of luck; the Tide has been the beneficiary of " 'Bama Magic" for the better part of the century. But unlike the Alabama football machine that churns out winning records and championships like an assembly line, Auburn has been relying on miracles to make its national presence known. Take nothing away from the Tigers — a win is a win — but it is hard to compare this decade of Auburn football to that of their archrival's. In fact, it's unfair.

Toomers Corner

Miracles, like the Chris Davis "Kick-6" that led to the rolling of Toomers Corner, are great things. But don't fall into the trap of expecting them. SHANNA LOCKWOOD/USA TODAY SPORTS

The pressure to not only succeed but excel at Auburn has been dramatically increased because of the national dominance shown by the Crimson Tide. The fervor to compete with "big brother" has caused Auburn staff and fans to place extraordinarily unrealistic expectations on Tigers teams year after year. And while every team starts the season with the goal of winning a championship, only one team does. The difference now is that anything less than winning a championship, at least in this state, is somehow viewed as a failure.

Auburn fans have been quick to compare this season to years past, either in similarities or differences. They have compared it to 2008 or 2012, or they have juxtaposed it with 2009 and even the championship years. Auburn fans, like their Crimson-wearing brethren, have started speaking about football in absolutes. One season is a miracle and the next is a disaster, as if those two words were antonyms. By definition, the opposite of a miracle — what Auburn is experiencing on the field this season — is something ordinary, normal or common.

If Auburn fans were honest with themselves, they would admit that an outlier season results in a championship, not the other way around. Simply wishing for miracles — or, worse, expecting them — does not mean said miracle will be granted. To compare your team to one of the truly great football dynasties of the past century does not put you on equal footing with them, no matter how much you want to be.

Auburn is a great program. Beginning with football and extending throughout the entire athletics department, Auburn represents the good in collegiate sportsmanship. That isn't to say Auburn is alone, but it does mean that Auburn does things a certain way. Auburn never has been a football factory and that is for the better. Auburn never has placed winning at the center of its ethos, pathos or logos. It always has been about more than that.

So, bearing that in mind, as the Tigers continue to struggle through an unexpectedly rough season, remember that all of those who placed such lofty expectations on this team share equally, if not more so, in the inability to reach a bar set so high. Expectation, like potential, is nice but it means you haven't accomplished anything yet.

It is good, in life, to have an enemy — someone who pushes you to be better, who exposes your weaknesses and who constantly demands your best. In Auburn's case, that is Alabama. But however big their rivalry may be, Alabama measures itself on a different scale. Alabama has the weight of history, of destiny, of legend to live up to. Auburn fans would be wise not to measure their teams on that scale just yet because it's tougher than it looks. There are many well-documented differences between the programs, and in every way, the two programs seek to eschew any similarities they may have.

Auburn should continue to embrace that it isn't Alabama while simultaneously striving to generate its own version of success, measured by Auburn expectations, Auburn desires and Auburn potential. They may even find that through this process, it will establish not only its own brand but a state of independence — the state of Auburn.

I completely disagree, except for the parts where he says "Auburn never has placed winning at the center of its ethos...", and "Auburn should continue to embrace that it isn't Alabama....".

Nobody is wishing for miracles, but we should be fielding better teams over the past decade than a the 5-7, 3-9 and whatever this season holds, along with several 8-5 seasons. It isn't about comparisons to any other schools. It's about the product on the field. It hasn't been what it used to be for a while.

Archived