Men vs. Missouri - Game Thread

WarTiger

It's like Tenn was our one game season - have not looked good since that game, turnovers, bad shots, too many fouls etc...

AU wasn't good that game either. If UT is marginally warm from 3 they win. Since TSD got hurt, AU has looked worse and worse each game. Harris has gone downhill faster than Clark in Christmas Vacation.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season can turn on one game. Hope this isn't that one. Still a lot of ball left but the direction is very, very concerning. If Bruce can't turn AU basketball around, then I'm not sure anyone can. It's not going to happen this year, but Brown and Spencer are good enough to build around and help provide some experience. The roster can't keep changing like it has the last 10 years. There's no consistency this no chemistry.

I think Bruce will turn things around. But fans are just too impatient. The program is better than it was 2 years ago and it will continue to improve. This will not be a quick fix though. Support Bruce and what he's trying to build instead of having unrealistic expectations. Support these kids who are working hard.

This is not directed at any specific poster. But dang.... all the negativity that had taken over this entire board is just really hard to deal with.

Our basketball program was atrocious when Bruce took over. We're seriously going to need some more help inside next year. Let's just hope that Canty returns for another year. The addition of Heron & Purifoy should help Brown and Canty out offensively. Spencer & Lang need to continue to develop.

I think Bruce will turn things around. But fans are just too impatient. The program is better than it was 2 years ago and it will continue to improve. This will not be a quick fix though. Support Bruce and what he's trying to build instead of having unrealistic expectations. Support these kids who are working hard.

This is not directed at any specific poster. But dang.... all the negativity that had taken over this entire board is just really hard to deal with.

The program is better because Bruce is here. This hasn't translated into a better team yet though. But I don't think anyone is down on Bruce or unsupportive. What's first rating and disappointing is that the team looks much like the last few years. Yes, it's somewhat due to injury and ineligibility, but still, there's no offensive flow to speak of and defense is still riddle with foul trouble, something AU can ill afford with a short bench. There are too many issues with fundamentals which really manifest themselves when they place diciplined teams.

One thing I have no doubt about is how hard the team works. I think they love playing for Bruce.

The program is better because Bruce is here. This hasn't translated into a better team yet though. But I don't think anyone is down on Bruce or unsupportive. What's first rating and disappointing is that the team looks much like the last few years. Yes, it's somewhat due to injury and ineligibility, but still, there's no offensive flow to speak of and defense is still riddle with foul trouble, something AU can ill afford with a short bench. There are too many issues with fundamentals which really manifest themselves when they place diciplined teams.

One thing I have no doubt about is how hard the team works. I think they love playing for Bruce.

This team showed very little effort last night. They used to play hard, last night they acted like they expected to lose. If they play every game with the same amount of effort they showed last night, we won't win another game.

I do think Bruce will turn it around if he doesn't give up and leave for an easier gig first. I do however believe that he may need to re-evaluate his staff. This team doesn't seem to do anything right at all. They have bad situational awareness, horrendous rebounding (mainly due to not even trying to rebound), terrible team defense (a couple guys play good and then there is always a complete breakdown leaving players wide open and completely unaccounted for), no offense that seems to have any direction at all (looks like street ball without actual set plays, just guys jogging around taking shots whenever they feel like it). This to me is very concerning. There is no excuse for a team not having any of the basic fundamentals. Talent level and roster turnover aren't the issue there. There are many teams less talented than we are playing with just as much turnover that block out, pick and roll, run screen plays, play solid defense and have a plan the entire game. We do none of these things on a regular basis. It may not need new staff, it may just need players to finally buy in, but that has got to change for us to ever be a decent team. Increasing talent level alone won't overcome fundamentals so poor that a team that was 0-7 against power 5 teams (and had been down by15 in all 7 games) can completely destroy us.

I'm really hoping our issue is more based on confidence and continuity. If those are the main issues, they will eventually correct themselves. We need to get back to fundamental basketball immediately though for that to ever happen. Unfortunately, if we have to work on fundamentals this late in the season, then game prep suffers. I'm glad I'm not coaching this team this year. Bruce has found himself between a rock and a hard place and seems to only have a spoon to help get out. I'm already just looking to next year.

"This team showed very little effort last night. They used to play hard, last night they acted like they expected to lose. If they play every game with the same amount of effort they showed last night, we won't win another game. ..................Talent level and roster turnover aren't the issue there. There are many teams less talented than we are playing with just as much (roster) turnover that block out, pick and roll, run screen plays, play solid defense and have a plan the entire game. We do none of these things on a regular basis." -Foundation Eagle

That tells the entire story in my view....except he failed to mention "aggressive rebounding".

Essentially all of these guys are Bruce's players.....he picked them and brought them to AU. If he can't get them motivated, I don't know who can.

A few more games played with this lack of effort ....and the Auburn Arena is going to look like the Barbee days with mostly empty seats. Fans will support a team that is giving 100% effort...but not a team that plays without energy. JMO

This team showed very little effort last night. They used to play hard, last night they acted like they expected to lose. If they play every game with the same amount of effort they showed last night, we won't win another game.

I do think Bruce will turn it around if he doesn't give up and leave for an easier gig first. I do however believe that he may need to re-evaluate his staff. This team doesn't seem to do anything right at all. They have bad situational awareness, horrendous rebounding (mainly due to not even trying to rebound), terrible team defense (a couple guys play good and then there is always a complete breakdown leaving players wide open and completely unaccounted for), no offense that seems to have any direction at all (looks like street ball without actual set plays, just guys jogging around taking shots whenever they feel like it). This to me is very concerning. There is no excuse for a team not having any of the basic fundamentals. Talent level and roster turnover aren't the issue there. There are many teams less talented than we are playing with just as much turnover that block out, pick and roll, run screen plays, play solid defense and have a plan the entire game. We do none of these things on a regular basis. It may not need new staff, it may just need players to finally buy in, but that has got to change for us to ever be a decent team. Increasing talent level alone won't overcome fundamentals so poor that a team that was 0-7 against power 5 teams (and had been down by15 in all 7 games) can completely destroy us.

I'm really hoping our issue is more based on confidence and continuity. If those are the main issues, they will eventually correct themselves. We need to get back to fundamental basketball immediately though for that to ever happen. Unfortunately, if we have to work on fundamentals this late in the season, then game prep suffers. I'm glad I'm not coaching this team this year. Bruce has found himself between a rock and a hard place and seems to only have a spoon to help get out. I'm already just looking to next year.

This describes my thoughts rather nicely

One thing Bruce hadn't had yet is continuity from year to year. All of these guys are young minus a few. They need to play together as a team for more than 1 season.

I'm not going to respond to all the things you said that I completely disagree with, but I will ask if you realize AU have 2 of their better players playing out of position. Canty is not a PG, in spite of his size. It hurts his game. He should be a 2. He should be out on the wing having shots created for him. Instead he has to creat shots for himself. Second is Harris. I said earlier in this thread that he has gone downhill fast, but that's because he's having to play the 4 when he's a 3. Now maybe he's playing the same position, but with out Dunans, he isn't in position to do the things he is good at.

If those two guys are able to play their normal role, AU is much, much better. And the loss of TSD and Dunans scoring and creating (go back and watch the LSU game) are a HUGE blow. Other teams have depth to handle those injuries, AU doesn't.

The lack of depth has a lot to do with the energy level. These kids have an incredibly demanding life right now both on and off the court. The pressure they are under is tremendous. Being short handed during these games is going to catch up with the team at times. Stop blaming them for things they can't control and try to appreciate their efforts.

Think of that while you sit on your couch and watch a game.

Anyone have a link that provides statistics for the game. Thought SEC website had them but couldn't locate. Thanks.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/au16.html

the auburntigers.com site has post-game stats and details on all sports if you have not checked it.

I waited before commenting on the game. So I can be cold and analytical instead of talking during the heat of the moment. For those down on the team and the job Pearl has done take a chill Pill and think for a minute. Spencer is exactly what Pearl said he was a big kid who hustles like Rodman but who has to learn how to play under control and work on his offensive game. Players like this take huge leaps in second year after a year of college ball then an off season to get stronger and work on his game. Canty is the real deal but with Dunans out they are concentrating on him. Two key injuries are the reason that we are where we are. Shamsid-Deen a true point guard and best perimeter defender leads to Offense running through Canty whole game. His game is not as a point guard. He is good and does ok, but as shooting guard he would be much better. Dunans gives us some size at 6'5" so can board but more importantly he is also a scorer and takes pressure off Harris and Canty and Brown.

Harris has been a gem he rebounds, scores, plays defense. At this point in his career For Spencer to score he needs somebody to get him the ball in a position inside where he can dunk or hit a soft bank shot. That means a slashing point guard who can deal the ball again lack of a true point guard is hurting. A true point guard is a coach on the floor you will see a dramatic improvement in turn overs when we have a really good point guard and a solid backup point guard. We have really Good point guard coming in next year along with a solid big man and a great small forward. If Dunans is healthy next year and New Williams gets healthy and can play Point GGuard we will be much better than this year. I hope Shamsid-Deen comes back but with his shoulder history I don't know. If he does come back we will be a very good team next year not a great team but very good. Harris will be missed hopefully we can find another big man either freshman, Juco, or 5th year senior next year.

I think the concern might be effort..not talent.

And I wonder if Bowers losing all that weight might not have hurt his game. He is no longer a "banger" who can push his way around underneath or hold a spot on the floor. Now he is just a pretty typical PF who can't shoot well and is not able to throw his weight around to play defense or rebound. Just seems to me that he has lost something. :dunno:

And I wonder if Bowers losing all that weight might not have hurt his game. He is no longer a "banger" who can push his way around underneath or hold a spot on the floor. Now he is just a pretty typical PF who can't shoot well and is not able to throw his weight around to play defense or rebound. Just seems to me that he has lost something. :dunno:/>

He does not seem to be the factor he was last year. Not ripping on the kid either, he just doesn't seem to be playing as well overall.

And I wonder if Bowers losing all that weight might not have hurt his game. He is no longer a "banger" who can push his way around underneath or hold a spot on the floor. Now he is just a pretty typical PF who can't shoot well and is not able to throw his weight around to play defense or rebound. Just seems to me that he has lost something. :dunno:/>

He does not seem to be the factor he was last year. Not ripping on the kid either, he just doesn't seem to be playing as well overall.

I'm not ripping him either....I just think when he lost the weight, he gave up a big advantage he had which was the ability to push people around underneath. We could use a little bulk this season....most of the taller guys are pretty lean.

I like Bowers he plays hard every game. Part of the reason his numbers are down is PT as with Harris and Spencer he does not play as much as last year. The weight loss is a duel Edge sword he is moving better. I do think the weight loss impacts his ability to move people but he is moving better and getting open. I think the extra hops is actually hurting him around the b asket as every game he misses 1-2 shots inside and I think it is possible he has not completely adjusted to the extra hops around the basket and this is affecting his shot. I hope as he gets used to it he will adjust to having more hops.

I like Bowers he plays hard every game. Part of the reason his numbers are down is PT as with Harris and Spencer he does not play as much as last year. The weight loss is a duel Edge sword he is moving better. I do think the weight loss impacts his ability to move people but he is moving better and getting open. I think the extra hops is actually hurting him around the b asket as every game he misses 1-2 shots inside and I think it is possible he has not completely adjusted to the extra hops around the basket and this is affecting his shot. I hope as he gets used to it he will adjust to having more hops.

What concerns me most is the number of missed lay ups like you are talking about. I don't know if this is all the way due to just him being lighter. Cim seems to be wanting to drive inside, go up on someone, and try to make it look like he got fouled. About 75% of the time, no foul is called. It wastes and offensive possession when he does this. It's a mentality thing. You can't go in passively and hope that the ref is going to agree with you. When you're bigger than a lot of other players out there, drive hard and go up to score, not to get fouled. We see a lot of very wild shots from Cim, and I think that's what concerns me.

What concerns me most is the number of missed lay ups like you are talking about. I don't know if this is all the way due to just him being lighter. Cim seems to be wanting to drive inside, go up on someone, and try to make it look like he got fouled. About 75% of the time, no foul is called. It wastes and offensive possession when he does this. It's a mentality thing. You can't go in passively and hope that the ref is going to agree with you. When you're bigger than a lot of other players out there, drive hard and go up to score, not to get fouled. We see a lot of very wild shots from Cim, and I think that's what concerns me.

Well, he missed a ton on inside shots last year.....this season seems about the same to me.....just not much "touch" around the basket...but would like to see him blocking out better ....I'm just thinking that losing all that weight has been a wasted effort. Lots of season to go...maybe things will get better.

Well, he missed a ton on inside shots last year.....this season seems about the same to me.....just not much "touch" around the basket...but would like to see him blocking out better ....I'm just thinking that losing all that weight has been a wasted effort. Lots of season to go...maybe things will get better.

. He was a center last year, and his job was to get the ball, and try to find a way to score, because we didn't have much of a threat anywhere other than KT or Antoine. He drives more this year, and when he gets in trouble, instead of just backing it out and resetting he tries to make the impossible happen and it doesn't work. His job last year was to put it up at the rim and crash his own board. I think his role this year should be more of the same, except a little more involved passing the ball. Don't know if he is a great driver of the ball but I like to see him working to get boards underneath. I see him more as a productive off the ball players that cleans up trash, and makes a 3 once in a blue moon.

EDIT: I thought his role in the SEC Tournament last year was very well thought-out. He made an impact off the ball setting screens with his size and was able to pick up a lot of garbage, and run the floor to fill space when needed. I think he's a valuable asset and a good player, but I think he tries to do too much with the ball in his hands.

Archived