3* S Daniel Thomas (AU signee 2/3/16)

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AU is making a mistake here.

Yes indeed. By all accounts this guy is a football player and our numbers are such that I don't understand how we can pass on him. "Room for just one more safety" is nonsense. Let just a few things turn sour tomorrow or on the academic side and we'll be wishing we had signed up some more help.

Thomas could be a walk on and could earn a scholoarship before the season gets under way.

Why would he do that when he has offers from Clemson, South Carolina and some other places I can't recall right now?

Per Brandon Marcello, Auburn is "full" and can't offer Daniel Thomas.

I watch the recruiting talk, but that's the end of what I know. I'm wondering. Does this mean Auburn knows who's coming? Or does it mean Auburn is waiting on a few, but there will be no room for Thomas no matter what.

I don't want this to be about Thomas, but I sure would like a kid who wants Auburn enough to hold off other teams above one who's marginally "better." Just the same, how do you read this "full" business?

I have addressed this a few times already. It means AU feels they are full @ Safety. Whether they get Nigel Warrior or not remains to be seen. Either they feel they have him or they decided to not take another one. Another layer may be that since the 2017 is a much better class overall the staff may be given themselves a hard ceiling below 25 this year to give to EEs next year & count them back to this class.

Moving this to the Daniel Thomas thread.

I watch the recruiting talk, but that's the end of what I know. I'm wondering. Does this mean Auburn knows who's coming? Or does it mean Auburn is waiting on a few, but there will be no room for Thomas no matter what.

I don't want this to be about Thomas, but I sure would like a kid who wants Auburn enough to hold off other teams above one who's marginally "better." Just the same, how do you read this "full" business?

I have addressed this a few times already. It means AU feels they are full @ Safety. Whether they get Nigel Warrior or not remains to be seen. Either they feel they have him or they decided to not take another one. Another layer may be that since the 2017 is a much better class overall the staff may be given themselves a hard ceiling below 25 this year to give to EEs next year & count them back to this class.

The EE thing is what AU is looking at. Couple of great 2017 kids they want to count back to 2016. IMO.

The EE thing is what AU is looking at. Couple of great 2017 kids they want to count back to 2016. IMO.

I think a metaphor about hatching chickens or something could be appropriate here.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Seems like we are always waiting for tomorrow and it never comes. War Eagle !!!

Any chance there are any off the field issues, medical history, etc. that we're not aware of? Sometimes coaches get spooked by things that aren't known to the general public.

Any chance there are any off the field issues, medical history, etc. that we're not aware of? Sometimes coaches get spooked by things that aren't known to the general public.

Doubt it. There would be rumblings of it which there are not.

Doubt it. There would be rumblings of it which there are not.

Figured, thanks. Just trying to understand the discrepancy between popular opinion and actions of the coaches.

You don't need count back slots to sign EE guys. Witness this year: We enrolled 9 EE guys and had zero count back slots. My opinion, every available count back slot probably represents a failure in the previous year. Saving two for count back slots? Why would we think we can sign 27 next year if 23 is all we can manage this time?

Not picking a fight with you, ellitor. It's the thinking behind such a decision/excuse that tees me off.

You don't need count back slots to sign EE guys. Witness this year: We enrolled 9 EE guys and had zero count back slots. My opinion, every available count back slot probably represents a failure in the previous year. Saving two for count back slots? Why would we think we can sign 27 next year if 23 is all we can manage this time?

Not picking a fight with you, ellitor. It's the thinking behind such a decision/excuse that tees me off.

WDE nor I was saying or implying you have to have count back spots to sign EEs. You know we know the rules on that. No need correcting something that was not said or implied. And sorry you got ticked off for no reason.

WDE nor I was saying or implying you have to have count back spots to sign EEs. You know we know the rules on that. No need correcting something that was not said or implied. And sorry you got ticked off for no reason.

Did you not read my last sentence?

He's confirmed he has an offer. He'll announce at 10am CST. Hoping he'll come to AU. I know he's a 3-star, but he has good instincts and I think could develop into a really good DB for us.

Archived