Cam's Post-Super Bowl Presser

RunInRed

"Cam Newton was innocent so the term witch hunt is appropriate there."

People, whether innocent or guilty, can both become a target of a witch hunt. Hence the term "witch-hunt." Witches were hunted in the old days, and they definitely were not considered innocent.

The media brought a witch hunt after the second video was released that turned his two game suspension into him being indefinitely suspended and subsequently cut from the Ravens.

Yes, in the Spring of 1692 in Salem a group of young girls claiming to be possessed by the devil accused several people of witchcraft. A witch hunt ensued, resulting in the deaths of 150 men, women and children. Many, if not all of those 150 were innocent. So typically the term witch hunt is applied to the defamation of the innocent, not the guilty.

It is perfectly fine if you want to refer to the media reporting Ray Rice's abuse of a woman as a witch hunt. I disagree and prefer to refer to it as a violent man getting his comeuppance, albeit not enough.

Okay. I see the problem with my term witch hunt. You were more so thinking "public smear campaign" when I said witch hunt, and usually only the innocent can have their name smeared. But you have to remember that even though Rice hit his financee, he only initially received a two game sentence. Instead of saying witch hunt though, I'll say that the media surrounded the Ray Rice story like an "angry mob" after the elevator video because he only got a two game sentence for hitting his fiancée. And then, just like that, his two game sentence turns into a much much longer suspension, even though Goodell was given zero new information to change the suspension.

I think being angry or outraged over the fact that a man abused a woman is perfectly acceptable. He committed a crime. What he did was morally and legally wrong.

Cam walking out of his presser drew an insane amount of criticism. Even Rob Lowe chimed in. Sure don't recall him making snide comments about Ray Rice.

Well, I don't know. Is Lowe supposed to be the public indicator of whether or not too much criticism was given?I don't think you remember how much and how long the Ray Rice story was a hot topic.

The Ray Rice incident actually changed the landscape of professional and college sports in my opinion. It created a new sensitivity to domestic violence. As a matter of fact, Gus Malzahn may or may not have done an about-face on whether he wanted to recruit Jonathan Taylor before the Rice story hit. Now? Gus says "you just don't go there."

And again you miss my point. I'm not saying that Rob Lowe is the "public indicator." My point is that Cam faced harsh criticism for something so silly as walking out of a press conference. I'd prefer to live in a world that is more outraged over violence than Cam's post SB behavior.

Cam did receive harsh criticism but not more than Rice. And that was your premise. I'm willing to bet that Goodell received just as much criticism as Rice did.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Cam Newton was innocent so the term witch hunt is appropriate there."

People, whether innocent or guilty, can both become a target of a witch hunt. Hence the term "witch-hunt." Witches were hunted in the old days, and they definitely were not considered innocent.

The media brought a witch hunt after the second video was released that turned his two game suspension into him being indefinitely suspended and subsequently cut from the Ravens.

Yes, in the Spring of 1692 in Salem a group of young girls claiming to be possessed by the devil accused several people of witchcraft. A witch hunt ensued, resulting in the deaths of 150 men, women and children. Many, if not all of those 150 were innocent. So typically the term witch hunt is applied to the defamation of the innocent, not the guilty.

It is perfectly fine if you want to refer to the media reporting Ray Rice's abuse of a woman as a witch hunt. I disagree and prefer to refer to it as a violent man getting his comeuppance, albeit not enough.

Okay. I see the problem with my term witch hunt. You were more so thinking "public smear campaign" when I said witch hunt, and usually only the innocent can have their name smeared. But you have to remember that even though Rice hit his financee, he only initially received a two game sentence. Instead of saying witch hunt though, I'll say that the media surrounded the Ray Rice story like an "angry mob" after the elevator video because he only got a two game sentence for hitting his fiancée. And then, just like that, his two game sentence turns into a much much longer suspension, even though Goodell was given zero new information to change the suspension.

I think being angry or outraged over the fact that a man abused a woman is perfectly acceptable. He committed a crime. What he did was morally and legally wrong.

Cam walking out of his presser drew an insane amount of criticism. Even Rob Lowe chimed in. Sure don't recall him making snide comments about Ray Rice.

Well, I don't know. Is Lowe supposed to be the public indicator of whether or not too much criticism was given?I don't think you remember how much and how long the Ray Rice story was a hot topic.

The Ray Rice incident actually changed the landscape of professional and college sports in my opinion. It created a new sensitivity to domestic violence. As a matter of fact, Gus Malzahn may or may not have done an about-face on whether he wanted to recruit Jonathan Taylor before the Rice story hit. Now? Gus says "you just don't go there."

And again you miss my point. I'm not saying that Rob Lowe is the "public indicator." My point is that Cam faced harsh criticism for something so silly as walking out of a press conference. I'd prefer to live in a world that is more outraged over violence than Cam's post SB behavior.

Cam did receive harsh criticism but not more than Rice. And that was your premise. I'm willing to bet that Goodell received just as much criticism as Rice did.

My premise is that Cam was criticized in a major way for walking out of a presser. That isn't against the law. I think Cam is criticized too harshly for someone who hasn't broken the law and is basically a good person.

Archived