Cam's Post-Super Bowl Presser

RunInRed

People are way overreacting to this. It wouldn't even be a story if the idiots in the sports media weren't dead set on making him look bad. He did not handle it as well as he should have, but this wouldn't be discussed at all if the panthers had won and manning walked away from the podium.

Doubt you'd ever see Peyton show similar childish behavior. He took the post-game like a champ after the Seahawks abused him. PM was deferential all week in pre-game interviews. You could see this difference of attitude increasing. I've been listening to Atlanta sports media this a.m. about Cam.....his behavior has been their lead in grabber and it's drawn out the crazies.....UpDykes of course !

He cost himself and invited criticism. A lot of poor behavior is "understandable". But if you want to be an MVP QB on this stage you summon the strength to rise above childish impulses.

Spot on. WDE !!!

Does walking off the field after losing to the Saints without acknowledging the opponent be considered childish? Just asking because it happened.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised by the set up of the post game press conferences. If you listen to the press conference, you can't hear the questions for Cam because of Broncos DB Chris Harris answering his questions very loudly. And his answers were not very flattering to Cam and the Panthers. Cam didn't handle it perfectly but the NFL has to take some of the blame for it as well.

You're right the set up for the press conferences is stupid, but you can't blame the NFL for the way he acted. Not even partially. Cam is a grown man. Chris Harris was answering the questions honestly. They completely dominated the Panthers offense and won the Super Bowl. What did you expect him to say?

I expect Harris to say exactly what he said. But, I don't expect the opposing QB to have to sit there and listen to it. Cam was wrong for walking out, no doubt. The NFL was wrong for having opposing press conferences so close together.

It's not a good idea for sure. Not sure what the NFL was thinking there...unless they had hoped for this to happen at some point.

People are way overreacting to this. It wouldn't even be a story if the idiots in the sports media weren't dead set on making him look bad. He did not handle it as well as he should have, but this wouldn't be discussed at all if the panthers had won and manning walked away from the podium.

Doubt you'd ever see Peyton show similar childish behavior. He took the post-game like a champ after the Seahawks abused him. PM was deferential all week in pre-game interviews. You could see this difference of attitude increasing. I've been listening to Atlanta sports media this a.m. about Cam.....his behavior has been their lead in grabber and it's drawn out the crazies.....UpDykes of course !

He cost himself and invited criticism. A lot of poor behavior is "understandable". But if you want to be an MVP QB on this stage you summon the strength to rise above childish impulses.

Spot on. WDE !!!

Does walking off the field after losing to the Saints without acknowledging the opponent be considered childish? Just asking because it happened.

And was praised by the sports media for showing intensity...

I am surprised by the set up of the post game press conferences. If you listen to the press conference, you can't hear the questions for Cam because of Broncos DB Chris Harris answering his questions very loudly. And his answers were not very flattering to Cam and the Panthers. Cam didn't handle it perfectly but the NFL has to take some of the blame for it as well.

You're right the set up for the press conferences is stupid, but you can't blame the NFL for the way he acted. Not even partially. Cam is a grown man. Chris Harris was answering the questions honestly. They completely dominated the Panthers offense and won the Super Bowl. What did you expect him to say?

I expect Harris to say exactly what he said. But, I don't expect the opposing QB to have to sit there and listen to it. Cam was wrong for walking out, no doubt. The NFL was wrong for having opposing press conferences so close together.

It's not a good idea for sure. Not sure what the NFL was thinking there...unless they had hoped for this to happen at some point.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding... WE HAVE A WINNER!!! though I bet it was CBS who set it up and not the NFL.

I would laugh my butt off if it ever came out that Cam drew the media spotlight, intentionally, to keep the press off of guys like Michael Oher. There's barely been a sentence written about him, and if Cam had done nothing for the media to pounce on, he would have been their #1 target.

Love Cam, but I think part of the reason he was so upset was they didn't think they could/would lose. They got outmanned and outplayed from the get go. They read too many of their press clippings.

He'll learn from it.

Cam should not have behaved the way he did. He could have even stated that he was very upset, but would answer their questions respectfully. I think people would respect that.

But I dont give Harris a pass for acting like an ass either. Just as Cam should be held to a standard of being a good loser, then Harris should also be held to a standard of being a good winner. I see no difference in the standard of sportsmanship and professionalism between the 2.

This is not like the first time ever that somebody has walked out of a media crucifixion party. Plenty of coaches have done it too, both NFL and NCAA. Thing is, Cam had already said everything that needed to be said. Go party with Mr Budweiser.

This is not like the first time ever that somebody has walked out of a media crucifixion party. Plenty of coaches have done it too, both NFL and NCAA. Thing is, Cam had already said everything that needed to be said. Go party with Mr Budweiser.

True, but the stage is the biggest and he should have ended the interview with a short explanation before he walked out.

True, but the stage is the biggest and he should have ended the interview with a short explanation before he walked out.

Yeah....the honest media types deserve reverence. Lol

Spot on. WDE !!!

Thank you for the correction about PM. His behavior wasn't any better than Cam's.

Cam has just been recognized as a role model of the NFL by becoming MVP. Was his action that of a role model ? Nope. I'm not condemning him, just pointing out that it was bad judgment and he'll be the butt of jokes for some time to come. Best remedy for him is to be the one making jokes about the himself and the interview. I'm sure the Carolina franchise is working on it.

WDE !!!

I think you are onto something, Elephant tipper. Honestly I don't think he cares about the jokes, etc.....I mean, how many people have dealt with Updyke U on game day?

I think you are onto something, Elephant tipper. Honestly I don't think he cares about the jokes, etc.....I mean, how many people have dealt with Updyke U on game day?

This situation has brought out every UpDyke from under every conceivable rock to hate on Cam. I'd love to take a bat to every one of them. lol One of the worst is G. McElroy who's speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Poor ole GM is still suffering from that concussion that T'Bell put on him.

All the UpDykes are hating on Cam because he exhibited willpower over them and AU beat the crap out of them in 2010. Guess they're still ticked that he led Rammer Jammer with the band too. lol

One of Cam's biggest defenders is Finebaum. Should he be believed ? :dunno:

I figured it out. Cam isn't an NFL quarterback, he's clearly a wizard of hate. There is no other explanation as to how he can personally insult so many people in 90 seconds.

Cam garners a lot of love until he reaches the pinnacle or beats your team and everyone turns on him. Happened in 2010, happened in 2015.

Those same people bitching about Cam would love to have him on their team too.

And it'll all be forgotten about in a week.

Probably. Although if he gets back to the SB, the media will be sure to dredge it up again. Right now, it's topical -- kinda like when Charlie Sheen went off the deep end ... Winner!

And then, what would this incident be if no one made a joke out of it? Here's Conan Obrien's take:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/conan-obrien-mocks-cam-newtons-sulky-post-super-bowl-press-conference-walks-out#

This situation has brought out every UpDyke from under every conceivable rock to hate on Cam. I'd love to take a bat to every one of them. lol One of the worst is G. McElroy who's speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Poor ole GM is still suffering from that concussion that T'Bell put on him.

All the UpDykes are hating on Cam because he exhibited willpower over them and AU beat the crap out of them in 2010. Guess they're still ticked that he led Rammer Jammer with the band too. lol

The Updykes hate Cam. When he had his car accident one of them was on social media saying that he wished Cam had died. I'm sure the SB was unpleasant for them all since the QB's were from UT and AU.

As for Finebaum, he knows defending Cam will stir up his HUGE bammer fan base, resulting in better ratings.

I find it disgusting that Ray Rice beats his fiance to the point of unconsciousness and Cam walking out of a stupid presser generates more criticism.

Barkley and Shaq on Cam: http://auburn.247spo...wrong--43627617

Barkley: Newton's press conference actions '100 percent wrong'

Charles Barkley is an avowed fan of Cam Newton, his fellow Auburn alum. But Barkley wasn’t happy with the way Newton carried himself following Carolina’s 24-10 loss to Denver in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday.

In his postgame press conference, Newton had a hoodie over his head, kept his answers short and walked away after just three minutes at the podium.

“I think he’s a good kid. He’s from a good family. But he was very unprofessional in that press conference,” Barkley said Tuesday during his time on TNT’s Inside the NBA, where he serves as an analyst. “I hope he grows from this. The one thing about sports, you don’t get to just be happy when the good things happen. You have to be a man and professional when you lose. He did not do a good job of that after the Super Bowl. You just have to be more professional than that. I just tell Cam I love him but he was 100 percent wrong in that instance.”

Barkley said he was even more disappointed in Newton’s actions on Tuesday. In his first meeting with reporters since the Super Bowl, Newton didn’t apologize for his actions. Instead, he doubled down and said he refused to “conform” to expectations placed upon him by outsiders.

“He had 48 hours to think about it,” Barkley said, “and I wish he had come out and just said, ‘Hey, you know what? I was wrong. I was upset. But there was no reason for me to take it out on the press. You guys come to me when I do good, and I can’t be selective.”

Barkley also took exception with Newton’s comments that accepting losing makes someone “a good loser.” He pointed to Shaquille O’Neal and Kevin McHale, his fellow analysts on Inside the NBA, as examples of two all-time great players who are viewed as winners even though there were times they lost in the NBA Finals.

“You just can’t say, ‘A good loser is just a loser.’ It doesn’t work like that,” Barkley said. “As great as Kevin was, as great as Shaq was, they lost more than they won. You’re going to lose more than you win, so you just can’t be happy when you win and just tell everybody to go to hell when you lose.”

While O’Neal agreed with Barkley, he refused to personally criticize Newton, pointing to his own difficulties dealing with losses when he was a young star with the Orlando Magic.

“I was Cam before social media,” O’Neal said. “When the Rockets swept us the first time (I went) to the Finals, I didn’t have much to say to the press, either. But my mother and father pulled me to the side and said, ‘You can’t do that.’”

Going forward, Barkley said if Newton wants to continue to celebrate the way he does when winning, he needs to be equally willing to be more more gracious in defeat.

"You just have to be more professional than that, especially if you’re going to, when you’re doing well, run to the press and dab and do all that other stuff," Barkley said. "It’s a double-edged sword. The good comes with the bad."

Watch the full segment from Inside the NBA below. (Couldn't post the video. Go to the link above)

Barkley and Shaq on Cam: http://auburn.247spo...wrong--43627617

Barkley: Newton's press conference actions '100 percent wrong'

Charles Barkley is an avowed fan of Cam Newton, his fellow Auburn alum. But Barkley wasn’t happy with the way Newton carried himself following Carolina’s 24-10 loss to Denver in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday.

In his postgame press conference, Newton had a hoodie over his head, kept his answers short and walked away after just three minutes at the podium.

“I think he’s a good kid. He’s from a good family. But he was very unprofessional in that press conference,” Barkley said Tuesday during his time on TNT’s Inside the NBA, where he serves as an analyst. “I hope he grows from this. The one thing about sports, you don’t get to just be happy when the good things happen. You have to be a man and professional when you lose. He did not do a good job of that after the Super Bowl. You just have to be more professional than that. I just tell Cam I love him but he was 100 percent wrong in that instance.”

Barkley said he was even more disappointed in Newton’s actions on Tuesday. In his first meeting with reporters since the Super Bowl, Newton didn’t apologize for his actions. Instead, he doubled down and said he refused to “conform” to expectations placed upon him by outsiders.

“He had 48 hours to think about it,” Barkley said, “and I wish he had come out and just said, ‘Hey, you know what? I was wrong. I was upset. But there was no reason for me to take it out on the press. You guys come to me when I do good, and I can’t be selective.”

Barkley also took exception with Newton’s comments that accepting losing makes someone “a good loser.” He pointed to Shaquille O’Neal and Kevin McHale, his fellow analysts on Inside the NBA, as examples of two all-time great players who are viewed as winners even though there were times they lost in the NBA Finals.

“You just can’t say, ‘A good loser is just a loser.’ It doesn’t work like that,” Barkley said. “As great as Kevin was, as great as Shaq was, they lost more than they won. You’re going to lose more than you win, so you just can’t be happy when you win and just tell everybody to go to hell when you lose.”

While O’Neal agreed with Barkley, he refused to personally criticize Newton, pointing to his own difficulties dealing with losses when he was a young star with the Orlando Magic.

“I was Cam before social media,” O’Neal said. “When the Rockets swept us the first time (I went) to the Finals, I didn’t have much to say to the press, either. But my mother and father pulled me to the side and said, ‘You can’t do that.’”

Going forward, Barkley said if Newton wants to continue to celebrate the way he does when winning, he needs to be equally willing to be more more gracious in defeat.

"You just have to be more professional than that, especially if you’re going to, when you’re doing well, run to the press and dab and do all that other stuff," Barkley said. "It’s a double-edged sword. The good comes with the bad."

Watch the full segment from Inside the NBA below. (Couldn't post the video. Go to the link above)

Barkley nailed it.

Cam is similar to LeBron James. LeBron is how old and he still acts the way he does? Cam's going to do things his way. I doubt Cam will mature in the sportsmanship and class department.

People here are criticizing Peyton Manning by harping on that one instance of bad sportsmanship from 6 years ago, yet they want to ignore the rest of his career so they can conflate to how Cam's been behaving since he's been playing in the NFL .............. Ridiculous..........

Cam also pulled the same stunt against the Falcons that he did in the Super Bowl when the Panthers lost to the Falcons. He only shook hands with Matt Ryan the Falcons QB and didn't shake anyone else's hands.

http://www.cbssports...sing-to-atlanta

I'd be interested in the age of some of those criticizing him. Through context on message boards and FB statuses I've gleaned that they are usually 35-40+ or they're fans of rival teams of any age. But it would be cool to see an actual statistic of those (still) whining about this.

Only people I still see talking about this are bama fans and Seahawks fans. Well, and us, of course.

The Updykes hate Cam. When he had his car accident one of them was on social media saying that he wished Cam had died. I'm sure the SB was unpleasant for them all since the QB's were from UT and AU.

As for Finebaum, he knows defending Cam will stir up his HUGE bammer fan base, resulting in better ratings.

I find it disgusting that Ray Rice beats his fiance to the point of unconsciousness and Cam walking out of a stupid presser generates more criticism.

:hail:

Archived