2017 5* QB Tate Martell (Aggie decommit 5/3/16)

ellitor

If an old man or woman can do it effectively how can that make you athletic? How can just being big make you athletic? How can being versatile make you athletic? You're 6'9" and can't dunk but you're athletic? LOL. You can dribble so you're athletic? All these old men at the Y and the group of old men that play early at Auburn are just super athletic lol. Kris frost is just a freaky athlete! Why do they even have the combine? Everybody out there is athletic! I remember all those scouting reports in practice....watch out for this wr he can really catch....he's very athletic lol. Watch this qb even though he can't break four second anything he's very accurate which means he's very athletic!

And lol at this other guy who just said Steph curry isn't really fast after comparing him to West freaking brook then in the next post call himself giving a lecture on how you compare people!! LOL!

But yes Britt I agree as I said many post up I guess it's what you consider athletic and people may have different definitions....nobody can make Peyton manning athletic to me. Nobody can make me believe mozgov is athletic. The things they make you do and test for no matter what sport you play are the things that make you athletic imo. Like running fast and agility....every sport that you play they are interested in some sort of explosive burst....I'm not giving out awards of athleticism to people Nick named slo mo.....And when one guy says Russell was the epitome of being an athlete he can run and jump with anybody but I know the knock on him was his athleticism and him not being explosive at all I'm not really listening to him lecture on what being athletic really is...

That's just my opinion. So with all that said LMAO at shooting a basketball makes you athletic

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shooting a basketball doesn't make you athletic. Being athletic allows you to shoot a basketball better than someone who's not athletic. I know you gave yourself as a counter-example to this claim, cole. You say you can shoot better now, even though you're not as athletic as you used to be. I bet it's that you're not as explosive or fast. I'm not sure I'd agree that you're not as athletic. You may have lost a step. The fact that you can compensate with better shooting shows that you're athletic, rather than that you're not.

I'm not suggesting that you're a better basketball player now than you used to be. That's a different question. My claim is that, unless you were athletic, you wouldn't be able to become a better shooter while your other abilities declined (speed, burst, whatever).

This is why I disagreed with E about hand-eye coordination. To me, that's also part of athleticism. I don't care how explosive you are if you can't get the ball (for instance) where it needs to go (to include catching, as well as shooting, throwing, or hitting).

If an old man or woman can do it effectively how can that make you athletic? How can just being big make you athletic? How can being versatile make you athletic? You're 6'9" and can't dunk but you're athletic? LOL. You can dribble so you're athletic? All these old men at the Y and the group of old men that play early at Auburn are just super athletic lol. Kris frost is just a freaky athlete! Why do they even have the combine? Everybody out there is athletic! I remember all those scouting reports in practice....watch out for this wr he can really catch....he's very athletic lol. Watch this qb even though he can't break four second anything he's very accurate which means he's very athletic!

And lol at this other guy who just said Steph curry isn't really fast after comparing him to West freaking brook then in the next post call himself giving a lecture on how you compare people!! LOL!

But yes Britt I agree as I said many post up I guess it's what you consider athletic and people may have different definitions....nobody can make Peyton manning athletic to me. Nobody can make me believe mozgov is athletic. The things they make you do and test for no matter what sport you play are the things that make you athletic imo. Like running fast and agility....every sport that you play they are interested in some sort of explosive burst....I'm not giving out awards of athleticism to people Nick named slo mo.....And when one guy says Russell was the epitome of being an athlete he can run and jump with anybody but I know the knock on him was his athleticism and him not being explosive at all I'm not really listening to him lecture on what being athletic really is...

That's just my opinion. So with all that said LMAO at shooting a basketball makes you athletic

I don't agree with this at all. It doesn't take extreme athleticism for athletes to have a good dribble or a good shot or good accuracy but it take some. I've never seen an unathletic guy have good handles on the basketball court. For me, watching an unathletic guy dribble the ball would be like watching a train wreck. Good dribblers have hand eye coordination, quickness, good decision making, etc.

Good shooters have the ability to manipulate their bodies to score despite a defender in their face. Kobe and Dirk are/ were great examples with their fade aways. Athleticism 101. Also, Cole, you have grown up around basketball, so shooting might seem like something inherent to you, but for many, shooting might seem awkward to them and unnatural. There is a real art in finding the right amount of arc to shoot with while finding the right height to jump forward and snapping your wrist. All of that is natural to you but to others... Loll!! You should see my unathletic cousins try to do all of that simultaneously. Horrible.

Also, Ive never seen an unathletic guy hit .320 against 95 mph fastballs either. That takes good hand eye coordination as well, along with exceptional reflexive quickness, power, even the ability to direct the ball for the more advanced hitters. You will find that more baseball players can go do well in other sports such as football and basketball but you won't find as many football players and basketball players that are are just as exceptional in baseball.

If we split this conversation into a binary cut, left side of the spectrum is non athletic, right side is athletic, I'm willing to bet that you will find that the hypothetical athletic average of the NBA, MLB, and the NFL stars are far more to the right of the spectrum than the general population. But even then, the athletic spectrum is a poor representation of athletic ability. So I don't think the question is "does A have athleticism?" I think the question is "how does the athleticism stack up( more or less athleticism)when compared to B?" Let's quit speaking in absolutes.

You never know, on earth 2, the long snappers that can snap a football 30 yards down the field and placed on a dime may be more highly valued than the punting or the throwing of the football itself. So who is to say that one group should be considered more athletic than the other?

OK everyone, let's go back to recruiting and Tate Martell in this thread. Personally, I would rather have a bigger QB, like Gatewood than this kid. What do ya'll think?

Shooting a basketball doesn't make you athletic. Being athletic allows you to shoot a basketball better than someone who's not athletic. I know you gave yourself as a counter-example to this claim, cole. You say you can shoot better now, even though you're not as athletic as you used to be. I bet it's that you're not as explosive or fast. I'm not sure I'd agree that you're not as athletic. You may have lost a step. The fact that you can compensate with better shooting shows that you're athletic, rather than that you're not.

I'm not suggesting that you're a better basketball player now than you used to be. That's a different question. My claim is that, unless you were athletic, you wouldn't be able to become a better shooter while your other abilities declined (speed, burst, whatever).

This is why I disagreed with E about hand-eye coordination. To me, that's also part of athleticism. I don't care how explosive you are if you can't get the ball (for instance) where it needs to go (to include catching, as well as shooting, throwing, or hitting).

It's cool bro, we can just agree to disagree. I really just think our definition of athleticism are different. And lol no I'm definitely no where near as athletic as I once was. Growing up I was always one of the more athletic guys, started dunking when I was a freshman and I wasn't 6 ft yet. In my prime could dunk from the dotted line. At Auburn when I was a crusher to warm up me and a friend who ended up walking on the team would warm up by dunking on each goal in the coliseum consecutively. 4 goals in a circle....I don't know what may happen if I tried that now lol. Hospital would DEFINITELY be involved I imagine

I don't agree with this at all. It doesn't take extreme athleticism for athletes to have a good dribble or a good shot or good accuracy but it take some. I've never seen an unathletic guy have good handles on the basketball court. For me, watching an unathletic guy dribble the ball would be like watching a train wreck. Good dribblers have hand eye coordination, quickness, good decision making, etc.

Good shooters have the ability to manipulate their bodies to score despite a defender in their face. Kobe and Dirk are/ were great examples with their fade aways. Athleticism 101. Also, Cole, you have grown up around basketball, so shooting might seem like something inherent to you, but for many, shooting might seem awkward to them and unnatural. There is a real art in finding the right amount of arc to shoot with while finding the right height to jump forward and snapping your wrist. All of that is natural to you but to others... Loll!! You should see my unathletic cousins try to do all of that simultaneously. Horrible.

Also, Ive never seen an unathletic guy hit .320 against 95 mph fastballs either. That takes good hand eye coordination as well, along with exceptional reflexive quickness, power, even the ability to direct the ball for the more advanced hitters. You will find that more baseball players can go do well in other sports such as football and basketball but you won't find as many football players and basketball players that are are just as exceptional in baseball.

If we split this conversation into a binary cut, left side of the spectrum is non athletic, right side is athletic, I'm willing to bet that you will find that the hypothetical athletic average of the NBA, MLB, and the NFL stars are far more to the right of the spectrum than the general population. But even then, the athletic spectrum is a poor representation of athletic ability. So I don't think the question is "does A have athleticism?" I think the question is "how does the athleticism stack up( more or less athleticism)when compared to B?" Let's quit speaking in absolutes.

You never know, on earth 2, the long snappers that can snap a football 30 yards down the field and placed on a dime may be more highly valued than the punting or the throwing of the football itself. So who is to say that one group should be considered more athletic than the other?

It's cool my brother we may just agree to disagree. You're the first person I've heard call Dirk athletic (he's on of my all time favorite players). And I think you make a good point about baseball that I'll think about. I didn't ever get the chance to play so I wonder about baseball alot

Cole you are taking an extreme position and acting like everyone else is taking the opposite extreme. Again, by your standards, only the most elite athletes or top performing professional and collegiate athletes could even meet your threshold to BE CONSIDERED to be athletic. Even out of those people, you've made it clear that many aren't athletic. That's fine if it's what you believe.

However, by that standard none of us here could ever have been considered athletic at any point in our lives, because the type of athleticism you are talking about is so rare that it doesn't even apply to hall of fame basketball and football players.

Your point about the combine crystallizes your position. You think the combine can determine IF a person is athletic. I believe it can help determine HOW athletic they are in comparison to their peers.

Anyway, I completely disagree with your position. I also wish you could have a discussion without constantly patronizing the people you are engaging with. That's just my .02.

Cole you are taking an extreme position and acting like everyone else is taking the opposite extreme. Again, by your standards, only the most elite athletes or top performing professional and collegiate athletes could even meet your threshold to BE CONSIDERED to be athletic. Even out of those people, you've made it clear that many aren't athletic. That's fine if it's what you believe.

However, by that standard none of us here could ever have been considered athletic at any point in our lives, because the type of athleticism you are talking about is so rare that it doesn't even apply to hall of fame basketball and football players.

Your point about the combine crystallizes your position. You think the combine can determine IF a person is athletic. I believe it can help determine HOW athletic they are in comparison to their peers.

Anyway, I completely disagree with your position. I also wish you could have a discussion without constantly patronizing the people you are engaging with. That's just my .02.

I wish you'd stop that bull. I disagreed with you. I didn't patronize anybody. I didn't say or do anything to anybody that wasn't done to me.....we disagreed we can move on. You do that every time we talk we disagree then you say something like that as if I did something uncouth. I didn't insult you, I didn't berate you, I disagreed and that's fine. Nobody is saying anything personal but you.

And to you it crystallized your perspective but a qb runs a 5.07 no that doesn't tell me he's not athletic compared to his peers it just tells me he's not athletic. Once again Peyton was one of the greatest qb's ever and imo wasn't close to being considered athletic

I wish you'd stop that bull. I disagreed with you. I didn't patronize anybody. I didn't say or do anything to anybody that wasn't done to me.....we disagreed we can move on. You do that every time we talk we disagree then you say something like that as if I did something uncouth. I didn't insult you, I didn't berate you, I disagreed and that's fine. Nobody is saying anything personal but you.

And to you it crystallized your perspective but a qb runs a 5.07 no that doesn't tell me he's not athletic compared to his peers it just tells me he's not athletic. Once again Peyton was one of the greatest qb's ever and imo wasn't close to being considered athletic

Got it.

Got it.

Cool. I didn't take anything you said personal and I hope you didn't take anything I said personal. I have no ill feelings towards anybody that was in this convo. Just a difference of opinion probably because a difference in definition. We are all still awesome people

Got it.

Cool. I didn't take anything you said personal and I hope you didn't take anything I said personal. I have no ill feelings towards anybody that was in this convo. Just a difference of opinion probably because a difference in definition. We are all still awesome people

I couldn't agree more! I didn't take anything you said personally. Maybe I haven't posted with you enough to get a good feel for where you are coming from, and that's on me. It's all good man.

It's cool my brother we may just agree to disagree. You're the first person I've heard call Dirk athletic (he's on of my all time favorite players). And I think you make a good point about baseball that I'll think about. I didn't ever get the chance to play so I wonder about baseball alot

Im just talking about his shot. He used to be able to score by fade aways, turn around fade aways, one leg fade aways, and many other body manipulations that other non-athletes couldn't do. I think it is all relative. Dirk may not be the most athletic man in the league but he was pretty athletic for his size and skill set. it's funny you liked Dirk though because I used to like the Mavericks pretty good when they had Devin Harris, Marquis, and Josh Howard.

So, is Martell athletic?

Absolutely the question now is how athletic is he?

Yep, and compared to Gatewood.

Right after you posted that question I asked myself, who the heck is Martell??

Thanks WDE................ lets get back to discussing Tate and as WDE said he is a huge long shot to come to Auburn.

Yes, let's drop the fruitful conversation so we can discuss how Tate is a long shot.

Thanks WDE................ lets get back to discussing Tate and as WDE said he is a huge long shot to come to Auburn.

Yes, let's drop the fruitful conversation so we can discuss how Tate is a long shot.

Start a thread on it then

In the sports philosophy forum? I kid I kid...

In the sports philosophy forum? I kid I kid...

sounds about right......lol

So, is Martell athletic?

I think the question everyone is asking is this:

"What is the correlation between a good outside jumper, and his bench press?"

Inquiring minds want to know.

By the way, I have it on good authority Wade Christopher invented the outside jumper, and has yet to miss one...kinda like Bert and an all you can eat night at the Sizzler.

So, is Martell athletic?

I think the question everyone is asking is this:

"What is the correlation between a good outside jumper, and his bench press?"

Inquiring minds want to know.

By the way, I have it on good authority Wade Christopher invented the outside jumper, and has yet to miss one...kinda like Bert and an all you can eat night at the Sizzler.

All jokes aside, Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 185 when he got drafted.

Archived