Will Auburn be the Dark Horse this year?

Johndunc

Auburn has the talent, but do they have the drive and coaching to win it all in the SEC? Nobody expects Auburn to to be relevant, in the SEC west but I think if they get a couple of breaks during the year they can win the west. Thoughts?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn will challenge for the West this season. It doesn't mean we will win it, but I think we are about to break out.

We all know the answer. Improved defense and QB production = being very good. Think the defense will be a lot better than what we have seen. QB - if that goes south we go south.

I am in the camp the D will be improved how much is hard to say but assuming LB play is solid will be a lot. I believe special Teams will be a strength especially Carlson. I think O-Line will be the key not QB. We have a lot of talent but they have to gel quickly if they do we have the RB's who will look really good behind a solid O-Line. As long as QB is not a negative and a solid game manager we will be good, if QB is better than a game manager we could be really good. Jovon needs to have a monster year and he is capable of doing it with solid backups to keep him fresh and add a change of pace at times.

If SW is the QB we need to see more passing to H-Backs, RB's, and TE's with more emphasis on play Action and less on Zone Read. If Franklin we will live and die by the Zone Read and whether he can stay healthy.

^ That's nice to hear. The o-line needs to be a strength given the number of seniors HH is choosing to start.

^^ If JF3 has worked on his passing with Vick and has gained 15-20 pounds since the me of spring, he could run the zone read very, very well.

Auburn has the talent, but do they have the drive and coaching to win it all in the SEC? Nobody expects Auburn to to be relevant, in the SEC west but I think if they get a couple of breaks during the year they can win the west. Thoughts?

Absolutely!

Hopefully quite a few lessons were learned from last season, hopefully the weaknesses have been addressed and improvements made. By the end of September maybe mid-October we'll know what direction the Bus is going.

I think it is pretty much down to the most important position on the field because this team is solid in every other area. Find an effective QB and they have a chance to win the SEC and get to the playoff. If the QB play is the same as last year they will be fighting to get bowl eligible. It ain't hard to figure out.

I think it is pretty much down to the most important position on the field because this team is solid in every other area. Find an effective QB and they have a chance to win the SEC and get to the playoff. If the QB play is the same as last year they will be fighting to get bowl eligible. It ain't hard to figure out.

You and Salty are 100% correct. It all comes down to the QB play. We are fine everywhere else. Defense should be good. We will find out everything we need to know the first game of the season.

Technically we aren't because nobody and no "experts" are calling us that.

We may be the biggest surprise in the conference, but we're not a dark horse. We're part of "the field" if we are going to use horse racing analogies.

You and Salty are 100% correct. It all comes down to the QB play. We are fine everywhere else. Defense should be good. We will find out everything we need to know the first game of the season.

Disagree... it comes down to wide receiver play, unless Franklin can improve enough for us to run the zone read. If we go with Sean AND the wide receivers get their act together, we'll have at least a good season.

Disagree... it comes down to wide receiver play, unless Franklin can improve enough for us to run the zone read. If we go with Sean AND the wide receivers get their act together, we'll have at least a good season.

Yep. We'd have beaten Arky last year if our receivers could catch.

As far as "media dark horse", no. We won't be mentioned. As far as potential to surprise many, yes. As we all know by now, it's up to QB play. I do expect the defense to be able to keep us in some games as our O finds its identity.

If JFIII is the QB we win the west. Otherwise... Save us

Oh well, then prepare to be saved...

Hahahaha...what he said!

We are going to the playoffs.

And if u want to keep going back the 3 year period.

2007- 9-4 but 3 of those losses were by 6 points or less, only one bad loss and that was Uga.

2004- undefeated.

I'll stop there Bc 2001 wasn't great lol.

We always seem to do better in the underdog role, so there's that .

Ain't that the damn truth

Agree, but as I've always said, if AU ever is going to be considered "elite" we're going to have to be able to perform under high expectations.

We always seem to do better in the underdog role, so there's that .

Ain't that the damn truth

Agree, but as I've always said, if AU ever is going to be considered "elite" we're going to have to be able to perform under high expectations.

It would be nice

Archived