The Brexit Vote

AUDub

It appears this has descended into name calling once again by all the usual suspects.

To possibly get back on track - I have heard about rumblings to ignore the vote. I know this does not become official until approved by their government - but would that be wise to ignore what the people want? (Regardless of your political position)

Other than the open border policy between the EU I do not see how this could hurt them. They are one of the few big dogs in Europe at the moment. Having their independence they could still conceivably have legislation that mirrors the rest of the EU. Sure if France or Greece left they would just be out in the cold with so little to offer - seems like the EU should want to play nicely with one of the countries that has been propping them up.

Another interesting piece of this - is there a power play for Germany? What country could possibly push back against them? (I am not talking Nazi Germany - merely policy influence)

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears this has descended into name calling once again by all the usual suspects.

To possibly get back on track - I have heard about rumblings to ignore the vote. I know this does not become official until approved by their government - but would that be wise to ignore what the people want? (Regardless of your political position)

Other than the open border policy between the EU I do not see how this could hurt them. They are one of the few big dogs in Europe at the moment. Having their independence they could still conceivably have legislation that mirrors the rest of the EU. Sure if France or Greece left they would just be out in the cold with so little to offer - seems like the EU should want to play nicely with one of the countries that has been propping them up.

Another interesting piece of this - is there a power play for Germany? What country could possibly push back against them? (I am not talking Nazi Germany - merely policy influence)

Of course it wouldn't be wise to ignore public will-- the question is will this narrow tilt in public opinion change between now and the time an actual political/legal decision must be made. And I have no position on the matter. But if you follow the news in the UK, this is a real question.

It's a shock to the system. Financial institutions hate shock & uncertainy .

The vote polled 3-5% remain,& the people went the exact opposite.

Of course it wouldn't be wise to ignore public will-- the question is will this narrow tilt in public opinion change between now and the time an actual political/legal decision must be made. And I have no position on the matter. But if you follow the news in the UK, this is a real question.

I figure it has to be a question, but I do not know if it makes much of a difference now. Many of the news outlets that are questioning this were champions of 'Remain' so you have to figure they would go this route.

Ill be curious to see how this goes once everything levels off. I think the quicker this moves the less short term damage you will see. Everyone feels better with an actual plan - and right now no one knows what that plan will be. Will it swing 1million plus votes? Who knows. It could go in favor of Brexit once they realize what they have the ability to do with their own country.

I figure it has to be a question, but I do not know if it makes much of a difference now. Many of the news outlets that are questioning this were champions of 'Remain' so you have to figure they would go this route.

Ill be curious to see how this goes once everything levels off. I think the quicker this moves the less short term damage you will see. Everyone feels better with an actual plan - and right now no one knows what that plan will be. Will it swing 1million plus votes? Who knows. It could go in favor of Brexit once they realize what they have the ability to do with their own country.

It appears the pro-Brexit folks had no plan.

I think public opinion will swing back in favor of remaining--especially since this process will take years to unfold. However, if Scotland and/or Northern Ireland pursue independence or unification, respectively, then all bets are off for enough of a public opinion swing to change the UK's fate.

Being 2 working days into this event - maybe someone does and we just have not seen the ideas for shoring up the red tape mess. They have the basic structure in place - not much there will change. Trade and border policy are the big fish IMO. Trade will take a while - plan or no. Borders will be interesting considering the issues of Europe at the present.The current PTB did not want this and I can only assume they were not working on an exit plan.

Being 2 working days into this event - maybe someone does and we just have not seen the ideas for shoring up the red tape mess. They have the basic structure in place - not much there will change. Trade and border policy are the big fish IMO. Trade will take a while - plan or no. Borders will be interesting considering the issues of Europe at the present.The current PTB did not want this and I can only assume they were not working on an exit plan.

There's no evidence the top advocates have a plan.

Because he didn't know it would be counterproductive! Duuuuuuuh! :-\

irrelevant ! He shouldn't have done it - PERIOD ! Was it counter productive to send his campaign staff over to Israel to try and get Netanyahu defeated ? You keep omitting that topic, outright. I wonder why.

It backfired on him because of the clumsy and insensitive way he handled it. (And he was requested to make a statement by Cameron.)

Requested or not ( please offer a cite for that, thanks ) Obama isn't beholden to take part in Britain's election process, is he ? He should have politely declined, and simply say he hoped for an enthusiastic and highly participated election, and just left it at that

Cameron asked him for support and he should have just "politely declined"? Whew! You would have had a field day with that wouldn't you? Obama snubs Cameron and turns his back on our closest ally! :rolleyes:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/04/22/remarks-president-obama-and-prime-minister-cameron-joint-press

They will have to do that whether they like it or not.

That's what makes this vote so ironic. They still have to cooperate with the EU. Things won't really change all that much. Even the immigration issue - which was demagogued to begin with - could have been addressed without leaving.

Ignoring the referendum would be ill advised. The Scots obviously wanted to stay in the EU. They recently voted to stay a part of the UK, maybe they need to vote again and go it alone. Funny, they would be fighting against consolidation of power to consolidate power somewhere else. Careful what you wish for. Btw I am of Scottish ancestory and this is crazy.

I doubt they don't follow the referendum unless there is a clear shift in public opinion.

Correct. And it would have to be a big, obvious shift.

Of course, we know WHY he did that, now, is because he had been negotiating w/ the Mullahs of Iran since day 1 in office, and he needed to curry favor w/ them to make his asinine and stupid deal. It only makes perfect sense now, that when a chance for freedom came to Iran, Obama was too wrapped up in his own legacy to give a damn about the people. Per usual.

Good example of a Raptor post on a subject that has little or nothing to do with Obama. Hilarious! :roflol:

This movement seemed largely visceral and symbolic. To access the market, they still need to allow immigration. Now, outside the EU they seem to have less influence to change it. I suppose the EU may alter some policies to lessen similar concerns other places, or it may just shrink to an earlier, less ambitious size. But the UK's direct influence would seem diminished.

I would say it seems like it will be October before we have any (solid) idea given the Prime Minister situation. Trade relations are still stated as being the largest hurdle and it is hard to have a solid plan with only one side even thinking about it. The UK is in a pretty powerful position and I would expect the EU (Germany) will want to work something out as quickly as possible.

I would say it seems like it will be October before we have any (solid) idea given the Prime Minister situation. Trade relations are still stated as being the largest hurdle and it is hard to have a solid plan with only one side even thinking about it. The UK is in a pretty powerful position and I would expect the EU (Germany) will want to work something out as quickly as possible.

What do you see improving for the UK in this new deal?

Being an individual country allows them to look after themselves instead of being tied to the success - or more recently - the failures of EU government and other member countries. They inherently take on more risk but have the ability to regulate themselves based on what they see fit. I am not up-to-date on the particulars of British culture or industry - but I fail to see how being a nation like the USA is a bad thing.

Also, British culture is far different from German culture which is different from French culture. I think being able to look after yourself and trying to get along with others is a little better than being told to get along with others and forced into the same ideas. I know this is sliding off into Globalism vs Nationalism and neither of us are going to change our mind - I just figure to keep in mind the British did not think we were going to make it without being a part of them.

One way or the other my children's children will have a new test question or two in their history class and we get to watch it! Maybe they fail and go crying back to the EU, Maybe nothing changes, or maybe they become a superpower and rival the US.

Being an individual country allows them to look after themselves instead of being tied to the success - or more recently - the failures of EU government and other member countries. They inherently take on more risk but have the ability to regulate themselves based on what they see fit. I am not up-to-date on the particulars of British culture or industry - but I fail to see how being a nation like the USA is a bad thing.

Also, British culture is far different from German culture which is different from French culture. I think being able to look after yourself and trying to get along with others is a little better than being told to get along with others and forced into the same ideas. I know this is sliding off into Globalism vs Nationalism and neither of us are going to change our mind - I just figure to keep in mind the British did not think we were going to make it without being a part of them.

One way or the other my children's children will have a new test question or two in their history class and we get to watch it! Maybe they fail and go crying back to the EU, Maybe nothing changes, or maybe they become a superpower and rival the US.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Jim Rogers predicts Brexit is the tipping point:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jim-rogers-on-brexit---worse-than-any-bear-market-you-ve-seen-in-your-lifetime-154317566.html#

I'm skeptical, since unlike Baer/Lehman this shouldn't directly impact credit ratings and so forth. BUT, 380b more got added to the negative yield last week. In my mind this represents an expectation of something very bad is on the horizon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-26/brexit-adds-380-billion-to-global-negative-yielding-bond-pile

Guest NC1406

The leaders of both political parties wanted to remain in the EU. Not really surprising there are no detailed plans by either party. They were caught off guard by the people's will.

At least the Brits will save in excess of 8.5 billion per year in NET dues to the EU. Pretty good slush fund to fund some plans.

The vote by the Brits is just the start. The EU experiment just died. Other countries will follow. Germany can not and will not bail out Greece and other failing economies on their own.

Looks like the EU has taken a huge revenue hit. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12176663/EU-Facts-how-much-does-Britain-pay-to-the-EU-budget.html

Less Than 1000 Brits Googled “What is the EU?” After Referendum

I’ve never seen such snobbery in my life. The post-Brexit condescension has been nauseating. The media, pundits, and academics have desperately tried to paint the Brexit voters as ignorant, backwoods troglodytes who only voted to leave the EU because they don’t like brown people.

Take this viral article from the Washington Post: “The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it.”

Leftists and elitists salivated over the article – more proof of their own intellectual and moral superiority.

Just one problem. The article claims that searches for “What is the EU?” within Britain had “more than tripled” in the hours after the referendum. Did nobody ask: tripled from what number? Well, when you look at the data Google provides, it looks like less than 1000 Brits made that Google search.

But the headline, “1000 Brits Google ‘What is the EU’? After Referendum” doesn’t have the same ring to it. It doesn’t fit the narrative.

The journalists at WaPo were using Google Trends to see the relative trends of Google searches – but that doesn’t show the actual numbers. Google AdWords, however, does show the numbers.

That’s right – for the entire month of May, “What is the EU” was searched around 8100 times in the UK. That’s about 270/day on average.

Well, if that number more than tripled, that means ~945 searches total. If you assume that the 270/day trend would have continued, that’s a whopping 675 additional searches in the entire UK. Virtually nothing. Not to mention, there’s no way to tell who made the searches – it could have been 4th graders in school learning about the EU for the first time. It could have been rural farmers who didn’t vote and just wanted to know how it would affect them. Heck, it could have been tourists in London who wanted to know more about the EU.

Regardless, it’s doubtful the people at WaPo care about the actual numbers. It’s the irresistible article headline that matters. Anything that makes opponents seem stupid and ignorant – regardless of the facts – that’s what readers want to see.

Update: WaPo got their numbers from this Google tweet. The actual phrase was not “What is the EU”, as the headline claims. Instead, it was “What happens if we leave the EU?” Well, those concrete numbers are even more revealing.

That’s right – the May average is a whopping 1300 searches total – that’s 43 per day. Now surely, that number will haven risen in June. Still, let’s say it goes up tenfold. You’re looking at 430 searches. Can WaPo take down their article now?

http://steve-patters...ter-referendum/

It's a phony agenda being pushed by a butt hurt elitist class.

Archived