2016 Fall Camp - Practice 8

RunInRed

Chalk me up as to hearing JF3 is struggling.

However, Lashley said JF3 would have a role on offense even if he didn't start at QB....my thought are wildcat and/or the "OMac".  

I absolutely hate the wildcat.  We seem to use it as a momentum killer, and there's no reason we should have to go to it in the redzone.  Other teams don't have to go to a wildcat just because they are inside the 5.

• Like 5

Just now, AUatHeart said:

I absolutely hate the wildcat.  We seem to use it as a momentum killer, and there's no reason we should have to go to it in the redzone.  Other teams don't have to go to a wildcat just because they are inside the 5.

Me and bigbird are with you on this one. I start saying unpleasant things every time AU lines up in the wildcat. Very unpleasant thing. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AUatHeart said:

Gus and Lashlee like the Wildcat because it "out-numbers" the defense i.e. one extra guy blocking. And it did work at times inside the 10 with Kerryon last season.

2 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Gus and Lashlee like the Wildcat because it "out-numbers" the defense i.e. one extra guy blocking. And it did work at times inside the 10 with Kerryon last season.

I like it if used with no substitutions...but the QB has to be able to block or catch.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I start saying unpleasant things every time AU lines up in the wildcat. Very unpleasant thing. 

Half huddles/hurry to the LOS, Statue of Liberties (which typically follow the Half Huddles) and Bubble Screens cause those unpleasant things from me.

• Like 4

Just now, AUDevil said:

I like it if used with no substitutions...but the QB has to be able to block or catch.

Exactly. The substitution kills the surprise. If you bring in an extra blocker, I bring in an extra line man to eat him up.

• Like 1

Just now, AUDevil said:

Agreed. Johnson was obviously used as a decoy often last season as Kerryon would fake an end-around to him. The first time, it fooled me. But after that, it's now as predictable as what happens on a Statue of Liberty and after a 1st Down.

5 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I know the reasoning behind them using it, I just don't like it.  I guess what I meant to say is that we should be a good enough offensive team to score in the red zone without using the wildcat formation. 

11 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree with this especially with MA, DW, and DD.

As for the qb situation the coaches would prefer JF3 win the job and are going to give him every opportunity too. He just fits what they want to do on offense alot better than SW. Even if SW starts against Clemson which is likely at this time JF3 will be the starter sooner rather than later imo. That is unless of course SW comes out and plays at an extremely high level and we are winning.

This is what you want. You have no idea what the coaches want and to claim you do is nothing short of ridiculous. Your bias is so deep, you sound like JF3's mom more times than not.

3 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I know the reasoning behind them using it, I just don't like it.  I guess what I meant to say is that we should be a good enough offensive team to score in the red zone without using the wildcat formation. 

Agreed, but they wanted Kerryon to utilize his off-tackle skills last season in that capacity, which was what I foresaw 12 months ago watching his high school film.

Edited by VipersStrike1

3 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Agreed, but they wanted Kerryon to utilize his off-tackle skills last season in that capacity, which was what I foresaw 12 months ago watching his high school film.

Yes, but as noted the substitution usually spoils the play because defense can adjust..... but if KJ plays more RB this year, seems that gives the opportunity to run the wildcat out of a standard huddle without advertising what is coming.  I'm OK with that ...but when they bring in a "package" I'm usually thinking "wasted down".

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes it is. Not sure who 23 is taking to but the guy's I've talked to say JF3 is no where near ready to play QB in the SEC. No where. 

He is gonna play qb in the SEC this year. Whether it be situational redzone/wildcat or a full time starter. He is close enough where our coaches are delaying a decision to see if he can win the job against Clemson the first game. 

19 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I don't like to see 'wildcat' anywhere but the goal line or 4th and short, assuming you don't have a QB that can get a yard by himself (Cam).  In those cases, the defense is going to bring in extra linemen anyway so having an extra blocker helps the offense and you eliminate the hand-off which often times is the reason you get stopped in those cases either because of the extra time to exchange or the dreaded bobbled hand-off. 

16 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

This is what you want. You have no idea what the coaches want and to claim you do is nothing short of ridiculous. Your bias is so deep, you sound like JF3's mom more times than not.

I have no bias except towards AU. Whoever gives us the best chance to win will get the job. Sorry though it is a fact that the coaches prefer JF3 WIN the job, that does not mean they are bias either just think that JF3 skill set is a better fit for our offensive scheme. So let me translate this if JF3 can improve his passing enough to win the qb1 spot this would give us a higher chance for success on offense.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yes, but as noted the substitution usually spoils the play because defense can adjust..... but if KJ plays more RB this year, seems that gives the opportunity to run the wildcat out of a standard huddle without advertising what is coming.  I'm OK with that ...but when they bring in a "package" I'm usually thinking "wasted down".

Agreed, but again, it did work at times last season, albeit against Kentucky, Georgia and Memphis, but it worked.

15 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

He is gonna play qb in the SEC this year. Whether it be situational redzone/wildcat or a full time starter.

Then Michael Dyer has played QB in the SEC, using that criteria.

42 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Me and bigbird are with you on this one. I start saying unpleasant things every time AU lines up in the wildcat. Very unpleasant thing. 

If Gus can use the wildcat like he did at Arkansas, I say bring it on. If he uses it as "our QB can't get the job done", like last year, then it's a total waste.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Then Michael Dyer has played QB in the SEC, using that criteria.

Yeah that is true if you are just planning on using him as a wildcat running qb. When I say JF3 as the redzone qb he would be throwing the ball also.

Edited by austudnt23

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Chalk me up as to hearing JF3 is struggling.

However, Lashley said JF3 would have a role on offense even if he didn't start at QB....my thought are wildcat and/or the "OMac".  

JF3 has been struggling, but his struggles have been exaggerated a bit. You are correct on he will definitely have a role on offense if he is not our starter, but I would call it redzone qb. I said wildcat in a post before but any rb can play a wildcat qb. JF3 would have packages where he is gonna throw the football. Consistency throwing the football is the key word here. 

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Yeah that is true if you are just planning on using him as a wildcat running qb. When I say JF3 as the redzone qb he would be throwing the ball also. He would be running the zone read mainly in the redzone. 

You mean like when Kiehl Frazier and Jeremy Johnson threw the ball as the redzone Wildcat QB?

The last 2 players, that weren't the starting QB, who threw passes out of the Wildcat, were Jason Smith and Uzomah.

Combined stats: 1-3, -1 yards, 1 INT.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

You mean like when Kiehl Frazier and Jeremy Johnson threw the ball as the redzone Wildcat QB?

The last 2 players, that weren't the starting QB, who threw passes out of the Wildcat, were Jason Smith and Uzomah.

Smith and Uzomah weren't actively practicing at QB either, so you are comparing apples and oranges to make your point.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Exactly my feeling. Or just sub one player. I will scream if on our first and second play or on a third down against Clemson, i see a fire drill of players coming off and on the field, causing a time out by us or a typical 'he loses 3 yards' play...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Both of those QBs were head cases

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

If Gus can use the wildcat like he did at Arkansas, I say bring it on. If he uses it as "our QB can't get the job done", like last year, then it's a total waste.

Darren McFadden is not walking through that locker room.