Best/Worse venue for Game

aubiefifty

On 8/27/2016 at 11:26 AM, ClaytonAU said:

Sanford and Baton Rouge. Never been to Kyle Field but heard it was awesome. Bryant Denny is trash though. 

I was alittle disappointed with A&M  actually. It was only loud on the student side. Their campus is really bland. Too barrackslike.

I'll give it another shot now with it closed in. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/27/2016 at 9:14 AM, aubiefifty said:

pardons if this has been brought up before but i have never seen it. what is the best venue for college football have you been to other than jordan hare? and what is the worst? furthest i have been was legion field when tennesee refused to play auburn at auburn. i remember tennessee running out and getting pelted with it seemed like hundreds or more of oranges. and auburn fans were running around yelling go to hell bear baxley. thoughts or comments? and mods if you delete or me this please let me know. it is very confusing for an old geezer to try and figur out where a thread has been moved to if you miss the board a couple of days. or deleted. sux trying to guess........

For me, as horribly drunk as the fans ALWAYS are, Autzen Stadium is the best  game time stadium I've ever been to. It seats about ½ that of JHS, but it regularly gets 10 times louder than than I've EVER heard JHS. And I've been to some pretty loud games at JHS. 

As far as the other best game day experiences (besides JHS) that I've actually been to: LSU, tOSU, The Swamp, FSU, Washington, Nebraska, and and as much as I hate saying it OSU (Oregon State.)

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

For me, as horribly drunk as the fans ALWAYS are, Autzen Stadium is the best  game time stadium I've ever been to. It seats about ½ that of JHS, but it regularly gets 10 times louder than than I've EVER heard JHS. And I've been to some pretty loud games at JHS. 

As far as the other best game day experiences (besides JHS) that I've actually been to: LSU, tOSU, The Swamp, FSU, Washington, Nebraska, and and as much as I hate saying it OSU (Oregon State.)

I've always heard this about Autzen, but never believed it. It must be the way the stadium is built. Their fans were pretty lackluster in Arizona in 2010. 

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I've always heard this about Autzen, but never believed it. It must be the way the stadium is built. Their fans were pretty lackluster in Arizona in 2010. 

It is precisely the way it was built. They set it up for maximum acoustics. But it is ABSOLUTELY true. I have been to many games all over the nation, and Autzen is the ONLY one that my ears were ringing for hours after the game. It honestly compares to being front row at a Tool or Metallica show. Its absolutely incredible. And its ALWAYS like that. I can hear the stadium from my house, and I live about 5 miles (as the Crow flies) from the stadium. It makes watching games difficult unless I keep my windows closed. You will hear the stadium errupt 30 to 45 seconds before you see what happened on TV. 

On August 27, 2016 at 5:32 PM, augolf1716 said:

Now I have been to at least 60 different Auburn away game venues I would rate Memorial Stadium at UTx #2 as one of the worst back in the 80's

It's much nicer now. I was in Austin in April, tagging along with my wife who had a conference. During breakfast I noticed that UT was having their spring game so I decided on a whim to crash it. Attendance was very light so I was able to get a great seat. I really enjoyed the experience.  Admission was free; stadium was clean; food was good; fans were friendly. Best part of all: beer was available!

iIf I ever get another chance I'd love to go there for a actual game. BTW they're insane if they don't start the freshman,Steve Bueschle, as their QB. I was amazed at how well he played.

On 8/27/2016 at 2:34 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Best: West Point

Worst: Super Dome

Super Dome the worst? You just haven't been with the people. 

Lets face it. When it comes to college football there really isn't a bad venue. All have ups and downs. 

Well like everybody here I was just stating my preference but..."you just haven't been with the people"? My family has lived in Slidell (20 mins away) for decades. I've attended college & pro games at the superdome dozens of times for almost 40 years and for comparison, dozens of other college football venues in the US and Canada since the early 70s. The Dome IMO is a pit perfect for the toilet that is NOLA.

Best:  LSU

- Been twice.  We haven't won, but I love that whole experience.  If you can take a little ribbing from their fans, it's great.

Worst (BY A COUNTRY MILE):  L.A. Coliseum

- Just a total dump with awful sight lines.  Also, it's in the middle of L.A., which automatically gets it demerits.

I haven't traveled to enough games to be an authority on things, but I'm going to rank Arkansas among the worst.  Of course, part of it is visitor seating, but it's in a not so great part of town, with horrible vehicle access to the stadium (a bus traveling less than a mile to get there from the parking lot takes longer than walking the same distance), and you have to put up with them cheering every single first down.

Other than JHS of course, I like Sanford Stadium, Florida Field, LSU and Clemson.  Didn't care for Vandy, Ole Miss or Bobby Dodd.

wde

7 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Other than JHS of course, I like Sanford Stadium, Florida Field, LSU and Clemson.  Didn't care for Vandy, Ole Miss or Bobby Dodd.

wde

suck up:poke:j/k

I absolutely HATE Sanford in Athens. Everytime we've been there, we heard the F word at least once a minute. The fans in the stands are obnoxious and not friendly at all. I've been there 3 times, my husband a couple more. I am not really impressed with the campus either. Too compact and I haven't really seen any pretty part of the campus. I guess there is some somewhere. I have also been to Knoxville, which was okay, except for the faded orange polyesther overalls and the steepness of the stadium, and to Florida, which was just kind of boring, nothing special. I'd like to go to Oxford and Kyle Field. As for bowl games, the NC in Phoenix was the best, for obvious reasons. The Superdome was awful and the Rose Bowl had beautiful scenery, but the stadium was ratty. I love Jordan Hare, and our campus is the prettiest I've ever been to.

Neyland Stadium is second worst next to Legion Field. It's a shame too, considering the history there.

I've only been to 3.  JHS, Legion Field and Bronco Stadium in Boise.  I enjoyed Bronco Stadium because of the open north end.  The view is amazing of the Boise Foothills.  You could also stand in line to get something to drink and still see the game.  The blue field was BRIGHT during that day game I went to.  I was kinda neat too..  I like how local businesses had booths and stuff set up around the field and were giving away all kinds of stuff.  I visited the Camping World booth.  Kicked a short field goal and won a tee shirt.  My husband missed.  lol.  BSU was playing UT Martin so it looked like AU on the field but boy did they get their butts kicked.  

Legion Field was fun but only because AU won the Iron Bowl that year.  

LOVE JHS.  Havent been but to a couple of games there.

Oh I have too been to BDS.  Friend was in school there back in the 80's and I attended one game with her.  Ehhh.....that was before all the upgrades there.

Mine are in line with many here.  I always love going to LSU for the entire experience.  Florida was fun.  I doubt I'll ever go back to UGA.  Their fans are some of the absolute worst.  I also personally hated the Rose Bowl.  I'm glad to have gone to have the nostalgia of being in a stadium with so much history, but the place was a dump and horrible to get to.  I realize Auburn hasn't played there but I'm surprised nobody has reviewed Jerry's World yet?  

I've only been to JHS a few times and never been to any other stadium so my thoughts don't count for much. While it may not be most people's idea of a stadium you gotta see, I think Baylors stadium looks awesome. 

21 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I haven't traveled to enough games to be an authority on things, but I'm going to rank Arkansas among the worst.  Of course, part of it is visitor seating, but it's in a not so great part of town, with horrible vehicle access to the stadium (a bus traveling less than a mile to get there from the parking lot takes longer than walking the same distance), and you have to put up with them cheering every single first down.

That's interesting. I've been to Arkansas a couple of times. I've never thought it was in a bad part of town. IIRC its right off of sorority/fraternity row. On a side note, Fayetteville is one of my favorite college towns. 

My only complaint there is that the tailgating takes place in a parking lot next to the stadium. Cool horseshoe stadium though, IMO. 

50 minutes ago, WarDlowe said:

Mine are in line with many here.  I always love going to LSU for the entire experience.  Florida was fun.  I doubt I'll ever go back to UGA.  Their fans are some of the absolute worst.  I also personally hated the Rose Bowl.  I'm glad to have gone to have the nostalgia of being in a stadium with so much history, but the place was a dump and horrible to get to.  I realize Auburn hasn't played there but I'm surprised nobody has reviewed Jerry's World yet?  

I've been to Jerry World for each of the last two Cotton Bowls as my wife is a huge Michigan State fan and we live in Austin.  It's a really nice football/entertainment facility and if you sit in one of the first three levels, you won't get much better as far as comfort and views go.  However, if you sit in the upper deck (400 level), forget about it.  It's very high up there and steep, so you end up just watching the monster scoreboard a lot.

One of the subtle great things about that stadium is that it has the absolute coldest beer I ever had at a game.  Bottles were kept in 34 degree refrigerators and handed directly to you.

The reason I don't rank it as one of the best that I've been to is because it has no charm.  There's just nothing special about the place, especially for college football.

Legion Field the worst- always hated that "50-50" split (that was really about 30-70). Always liked going to Athens but the rivalry, while intense, seemed somehow more friendly then (haven't been since the 90s).

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

That's interesting. I've been to Arkansas a couple of times. I've never thought it was in a bad part of town. IIRC its right off of sorority/fraternity row. On a side note, Fayetteville is one of my favorite college towns. 

My only complaint there is that the tailgating takes place in a parking lot next to the stadium. Cool horseshoe stadium though, IMO. 

You must have connections if you tailgate in the parking lot next to the stadium.  Most of us end up in the satellite lot about a mile down the road and when you get about 1/3 of the way to that lot, sorority/fraternity row turns into a low rent business district.  It's not that it's a bad part of town, it's just ugly, especially when you are used to Jordan Hare in the middle of a pristine campus.

The Kansas City Auburn Club goes to Fayetteville every year that Auburn plays there and we've yet to find much to love about it, other than the police who have always been very cool and fun to interact with at the tailgate.  Maybe you can give us some pointers.

K State has a beautiful facility and the fans were very nice. T A&M great place to go to a game. I have been before and after addition. Clemson, as much as I can't stand Dabo is a fun place. Stayed in Greenville, fun town. BD is to big. Some of the worst seats I have ever sat in. Could not see the small scoreboards in the corners. As stated before Ga Tech is a terrible place to go to a game. Mediocre stadiums, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State. Georgia has a nice stadium, but I will not go back. LSU is a fun trip but my seats were to far up. USCe has a nice stadium. As far as I'm concerned Ga Dome, Super Dome, Rose Bowl and Phoenix stadiums are not great stadiums. You can definitely have fun in those cities but the stadiums not so much. Just my opinion. I enjoy going to all the different venues although sometimes they are dampened by the outcome of the game.

48 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You must have connections if you tailgate in the parking lot next to the stadium.  Most of us end up in the satellite lot about a mile down the road and when you get about 1/3 of the way to that lot, sorority/fraternity row turns into a low rent business district.  It's not that it's a bad part of town, it's just ugly, especially when you are used to Jordan Hare in the middle of a pristine campus.

The Kansas City Auburn Club goes to Fayetteville every year that Auburn plays there and we've yet to find much to love about it, other than the police who have always been very cool and fun to interact with at the tailgate.  Maybe you can give us some pointers.

I've been to two games there, neither were Auburn games. The first was against Ole Miss, the second was against Alabama. Both were while I was in college, and both times we were with Arkansas fans, which is why we were able to tailgate next to the stadium. It might have been the fact that we were with locals, but I had a great time on both occasions. The first game I went with a close buddy at Ole Miss whose entire family is from Arkansas. Overall, it was just a fun weekend. His cousins took us out on Dickson street on Friday night, and as a 21 year old I think it would have been impossible for us not to have had a good time. The tailgating next to the stadium was odd, but fun. They are big horse racing people, so they had the races simulcasted at the tailgate. It was kind of a day at the races atmosphere because there was a lot of money on the line, and luckily they won some of their larger bets. That and we had the other football games going on another TV. It was a lot of fun. We also had 4 seats on the 50 yard line, which meant a few things. First, that we didn't get patted down coming into the stadium. So, naturally an entire case of beer made its way to our seats via a jacket being draped over it. Second, because we were sitting in his family's season tickets on the 50 yard line, everyone around us absolutely hated us. Which, in retrospect, they should have. We were probably drunk, loud and obnoxious Ole Miss fans - but not the cussing type, luckily. 

In fact, I'm not proud of this, but during half-time we walked out of the stadium to the parking lot to find some more liquor and wandered into a stranger's tailgate where I proceeded to fill up my water bottle with somebody's Jack Daniels. I was a terrible person at age 21. At the time, there was no one around, but mid pour some guy from this tailgate walked up - and I just started chatting him up as if we were regulars, and as if it were my bottle of Jack. I guess I did a good job, because he never questioned us, and I just kept filling my bottle up before walking back into the stadium. Ole Miss won and we had a great time hanging out with my buddy's family afterwards. So, there were a lot of circumstances and perks that came together to make it a memorable trip. 

My second trip occurred two years later in 2010. Arkansas was playing Alabama. I don't remember who Ole Miss was playing that day, but I remember Auburn played South Carolina. Obviously I wasn't going to wear Arkansas or Alabama colors, so I wore orange, naturally. You would think that would have made me an unbiased, non target of a patron. And, we were lucky enough to sit in a luxury box for the game, so I assumed people would be civil. Not the case. Despite my wearing orange, and my explaining that I was an Auburn fan and not an Alabama fan, the fact that I was from Alabama apparently made me untrustworthy. One of the guys in the box didn't like this fact very much, and kept asking me to leave. Everyone else kept telling him to be nice, because honestly, I was rooting for Arkansas, but eventually we went and crashed some other box full of people my buddy knew. Still a fun time. That night Cam had his coming out party against South Carolina, and we spent the rest of the evening on Dickson street again. No complaints. 

In sum, my pointers are: be a college student, go with locals, enjoy. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

In sum, my pointers are: be a college student, go with locals, enjoy. 

You left out "have the best seats in the stadium".

Archived