So Rick Neuheisel...

Charleston Tiger

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Baylor had no there choice but to fire him... Public perception and outcry drove  that decision. If they had cause, they wouldn't have settled with him. 

Absolutely. Quickest legal settlement for a scandal this big I have ever seen. I don't pretend to know that Briles was 100% not guilty, but BU paid for his silence pretty damn quickly and to me that speaks volumes regarding who's really at fault. FWIW, the alumni I have talked to would take him back and say the majority of the fanbase agrees..

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Absolutely. Quickest legal settlement for a scandal this big I have ever seen. I don't pretend to know that Briles was 100% not guilty, but BU paid for his silence pretty damn quickly and to me that speaks volumes regarding who's really at fault. FWIW, the alumni I have talked to would take him back and say the majority of the fanbase agrees..

I like these dots you're connecting. I must admit I'm biased in that I'm of the mind that our best case scenario is for Briles to be cleared and to get a shot at AU if we need a new coach. 

Pepper Hamilton report:

In addition to broader University failings, Pepper found specific failings within both the
football program and Athletics Department leadership, including a failure to identify and respond
to a pattern of sexual violence by a football player, to take action in response to reports of a
sexual assault by multiple football players, and to take action in response to a report of dating
violence. Pepper’s findings also reflect significant concerns about the tone and culture within
Baylor’s football program as it relates to accountability for all forms of athlete misconduct.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I do agree there are false accusations out there.  I do agree with you on that.  But what other proof do you need?  For the women to be pregnant, or a video?  We need to believe the women until we have a reason not to.  And there were multiple cases of this happening at Baylor.  It is like at Penn State.  There were multiple cases of child abuse.  Sexual assault is not a chance you want to take.  Look at it this way.  What if you get your wish and Briles becomes a coach here in any capacity.  And what if all of the accusations turn out to be true?  Another example, what if you had a hypothetical daughter attending Auburn right now.  What if she was assaulted by a football player.  And you went to the coach and told him what happened to your daughter.  And he told you, well those are just accusations.  Nothing is proven.  I am going to keep letting this guy play because we really need him (like everyone thinks we need a coach).  I would be pretty pissed at the very least.  Auburn's reputation would be gone forever.  And I would fear for any daughter at Auburn, not knowing if they truly are safe.  

Taking a chance on sexual assault so we can win some football games just doesn't do it for me.

While I think your sentiment is entirely correct, you need to keep a few things in mind.

1. Briles didn't assault anyone. He is not a risk to anyone.
2. Nothing has been determined as to what he did or didn't know. Leaders get inaccurate information from their subordinates all the time and act on that inaccurate information.
3. Bringing a football coach into a program at any level doesn't suddenly turn all of your players into a bunch of rapists.

I agree completely that Auburn shouldn't touch him until it has been fully determined what level of culpability he had in the Baylor situation, but it's too early in the process to hang him. I also think that, if it is determined that he was not knowingly supporting the situation, he would be the best coach to have to protect the students, because he would be on extra high alert for those kinds of situations after having experienced the problem up close.

If one coach's hiring is going to affect to morality of the entire university then we didnt have a strong moral background to begin with.    What you guys are talking about is the perception of the university. 

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Why not ? Heck look how many previous head coaches have been on Sabans staff both offense and defense. Even if it's a one and done you get rid of Rhett, hopefully right the ship , and finally leave the correct person in place to take over. I don't see how this makes you worse.

You do realize what happened at Baylor don't you? No man that knows what was happening to those women should be around teaching young men anything anytime soon if ever.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I think your sentiment is entirely correct, you need to keep a few things in mind.

1. Briles didn't assault anyone. He is not a risk to anyone.
2. Nothing has been determined as to what he did or didn't know. Leaders get inaccurate information from their subordinates all the time and act on that inaccurate information.
3. Bringing a football coach into a program at any level doesn't suddenly turn all of your players into a bunch of rapists.

I agree completely that Auburn shouldn't touch him until it has been fully determined what level of culpability he had in the Baylor situation, but it's too early in the process to hang him. I also think that, if it is determined that he was not knowingly supporting the situation, he would be the best coach to have to protect the students, because he would be on extra high alert for those kinds of situations after having experienced the problem up close.

I just like to use metaphors as people can relate to it better.  I do the same thing professionally for my practice.  It is just not a risk I want to take when it comes to Briles.

1 hour ago, tombigbeetiger said:

don't bet on it

If AU was not going to touch Petrino last time around, which they didn't, there is no way we touch AB for anything more than an off the field offensive analyst IMO

Just now, abw0004 said:

I just like to use metaphors as people can relate to it better.  I do the same thing professionally for my practice.  It is just not a risk I want to take when it comes to Briles.

I understand. Let's just say the jury is still out for me because we haven't been presented with all of the relevant evidence. 

1 hour ago, PatBoCamRob said:

It would chap my backside if the fat guy with the bad haircut, right before he ripped the cord on retirement, hired an ostracized coach.  Seems like Jacobs has no place making any hires, except his replacement- and probably not even that.

Don't know how much this has to be said. JJ is not doing the next HC hire.

If things go real bad then bringing in someone to "consult" on offense may be the only way to buy another year.  Tubs changed coordinators yearly to save his butt.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If AU was not going to touch Petrino last time around, which they didn't, there is no way we touch AB for anything more than an off the field offensive analyst IMO

You dont buy a ferrari just to drive it around the block.   If we hire him he should be in the box talking directly with Gus and the offensive staff.   Hell, he should be calling plays after what we have seen the past 2 years

How can a coach prevent sexual assault?   Did he let someone with a history on his team? Yes.   Has Auburn let someone on their team with a past? Yes.    Sick of hearing the auburn man thing.   I'm not sure what that is anymore.   Is it the drunk former auburn coach?   Is it the cheaters?

I know Gus and Rhett have a system as far as play calling.  I think Rhett tells Gus what the Rbs are doing and Gus calls the play based on that.  Wonder how brining in an outside would work in a system like that?

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

You dont buy a ferrari just to drive it around the block.   If we hire him he should be in the box talking directly with Gus and the offensive staff. 

Off the field offensive analysts can do that. Bentley was in the booth every game talking to the coaches. I know because I am & have been AU coaches & radio press box security for 3 years now.

4 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

just as many times as "rashard evans is coming to AU" was said?

That player does not even exist.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't know how much this has to be said. JJ is not doing the next HC hire.

E, if we hire a coach (hypothetically) at the end of this season, who makes the hire?  Would a good coach take the job knowing Auburn will be hiring a new president and potentially hiring an AD who will be his boss?  It would be difficult to make a decision not knowing who your boss may be in a year or so and if you could work with that person.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

E, if we hire a coach (hypothetically) at the end of this season, who makes the hire?  Would a good coach take the job knowing Auburn will be hiring a new president and potentially hiring an AD who will be his boss?  It would be difficult to make a decision not knowing who your boss may be in a year or so and if you could work with that person.

JJ may still be the face at that point as AD but all signs point to he would not make the hire. IDK who would make the actual hire but it wouldn't be JJ.

I am sorry, but there is no way (unless something comes out that completely clears the Baylor football program and Art Briles of any guilt  regarding what happened there) that I would ever support Art Briles being associated with AU in any capacity.  Bobby Petrino is a damn saint by comparison in terms of character.  

Also, as others have posted, if AU was not going to give Petrino the time of day in 2012, there is no way Briles gets even a phone call.

wde

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Folks should probably accept the fact that Gus is going to be here at least another season.  The situation in the higher ups at AU is too fluid right now.

A new President has to be hired, and if Jacobs can't be trusted to oversee a stadium renovation or be trusted to hire his own athletic coaches then why even have him on staff?

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

JJ may still be the face at that point as AD but all signs point to he would not make the hire. IDK who would make the actual hire but it wouldn't be JJ.

With Gouge retiring he won't be making the hire and AU would be saddled with an AD who can't be trusted to hire the very people who would report directly to him....My Lord!

It easy to cast the first stone.  I think we need to study all of the issues with his firing before we crucify the man.

Archived