So Rick Neuheisel...

Charleston Tiger

There is no reason for a HC to know what is going on with title IX unless it involved his players.  It was a Title IX issue not an athletics one.

As far as defending AU, why bother. Those that question AU will always question AU even if they hired the Pope as AD.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll defer to @bigbird's knowledge of football so, if Briles is clean, bring him in. I'm tired of hoping for a "premier" game like the Birmingham Bowl. There is no reason we shouldn't be in the playoff talk every year.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There is no reason for a HC to know what is going on with title IX unless it involved his players.  It was a Title IX issue not an athletics one.

As far as defending AU, why bother. Those that question AU will always question AU even if they hired the Pope as AD.

What kills me is how this fanbase splits hairs...Like we completely support the coaches who give certain players second chances, who have clearly done wrong. I mean legitimately committed crimes, which would result in expulsion or jail for any layman. Art Briles is a sticky situation because of the stigma, however, as more and more come out, It is starting to feel as if history will be on his side. Long way to go in this saga.  

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

What kills me is how this fanbase splits hairs...Like we completely support the coaches who give certain players second chances, who have clearly done wrong. I mean legitimately committed crimes, which would result in expulsion or jail for any layman. Art Briles is a sticky situation because of the stigma, however, as more and more come out, It is starting to feel as if history will be on his side. Long way to go in this saga.  

You're right.  I love the righteous indignation some have because they heard AB is dirty by some talking head on some sports show.  Very few have bothered learning about the entire situation before opening their mouths.  Yes, things could come out against AB but, as of now, things that have come out are pointing towards the University, specifically the title IX office and administration.

You have NO reason whatsoever to believe me at all. For one I am new here and you do not know me from Adam but I know someone who is a high school coach in the texas area really well. Obviously this person is biased but he told me you will not find a much better man than Art Briles. He was adamant that Briles is just the fall guy for the university. The more that comes out the more I believe him. It suggests to me that Briles and my contact could actually be telling the truth. Briles the man actually fits the stereotype of hires that we seem to like to make lately with football coaches. Southern good ol boy who goes to church and a man of faith. I can see AU hiring Briles I can never see them hiring Petrino. I really hope we do hire Briles. It would mean the University we all know and love just got a huge upgrade at the Head Coaching position and that we are committed to winning and not hiring who would make the best sunday school teacher. We get briles we get stidham we are winning the SEC next year. This offense is ready made for a REAL genius like Briles to go to work and get the full potential out of the pieces we have on offense.

7 hours ago, AuGrad2004 said:

Well know I know the issue.  RL is looking at the wrong team.  He should already know what our Rbs are doing.....Easy fix and now we win out

should have been Dbs not Rbs.  Auburn lines up in formation and based off defensive backfield Gus calls the desired play or read to Qb. 

By the way, I don't care what other people think of AU anymore. The talking heads will always rush to judgment and the bloggers will always twist the truth for clicks. I'm sure tons of people think we're still dirty because of Cam Newton; people that hate us will FIND a reason to hate us because we aren't the state school.  The media won't love us and come to our side and hide stuff for us like Alabama, so we all need to quit caring what they think anyway. One of the biggest tips in life I discovered to finding and keeping happiness was to be you and not care what others think. As someone else said about hiring Briles, Auburn's perception won't change, but we'll be winning. And the only thing the media likes more than Alabama (or at least as much) is winners.

15 hours ago, Charleston Tiger said:

Apparently Neuheisel thinks Briles is headed here as either OC or HC next year...

Hey Neuheisal, want to bee our offensive coordinator,?? It's work. But the truth is...it's very rewarding. Buyout wise.

We need some expertise.

9 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Why should we aim to please the media? They are no friends of Auburn. Briles faced a witch hunt, the media tried to bury him and he stil may be innocent. We should know that given we had VIP seats to the Cam Newton witch hunt. 

Just win baby!!

I still get comments from random folks when I say I went to Auburn... And us paying Cam. (One of the things we could point to if we could have held off fsu, to have the upper hand or consolation in my opinion). Everyone hates us for some F'n stupid reason.

But at the end of the day. I'm With you. Just win Gus. Just win.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

You're right.  I love the righteous indignation some have because they heard AB is dirty by some talking head on some sports show.  Very few have bothered learning about the entire situation before opening their mouths.  Yes, things could come out against AB but, as of now, things that have come out are pointing towards the University, specifically the title IX office and administration.

Its impossible trying to reason with people on this. Fact of the matter is, these people need get over this whole, Auburn is too good for everyone mentality, or Auburn is just always doomed to be the school with a "really good man" coach, that just loses all the time.

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Based on everything I've read, he hasn't been accused of anything.  They school apparently had an over abundance of Title IX complaints and did not deal with them all properly, but from what I've read, the only two related to the football program where handled immediately and both players were kicked off the team.  The more you read into it, the more it seems like Briles was the sacrificial lamb so others, and the school as a whole, could save face.

I just posted the excerpt from the report. It directly implicates the football leadership.

11 hours ago, Win4AU said:

should have been Dbs not Rbs.  Auburn lines up in formation and based off defensive backfield Gus calls the desired play or read to Qb. 

I know that. I forgot the sarcasm font.

So I read the KWTX link. Here's the problem.

1. We know Baylor people were pissed to see Briles fired. We know regents were lined up to try to get him reinstated.
  2. We also know how much people have to lose in this issue. Baylor was nothing before Briles, and now they have a gorgeous new stadium.
  3. The report cites only anonymous people, presumably people with a lot at stake.
  4. There's a basic reason I don't trust the story. Excerpt: "Crawford pointed out to the staff that just two football players have been convicted of sexual assault during Briles’ tenure at Baylor, a fact that those we spoke with say was lost in the media frenzy.Neither of the two players stepped foot on the field after the coaching staff learned of the accusations." But that's not the problem. The problem is that Baylor knowingly had players with sexual assault and DV problems in their past on the team -- and those guys acted out. Notice how cleverly this excerpt skips the actual problem.
  5. Regents were visiting Briles and offering him assurances? You know what? That means those regents should be dismissed. They had no business taking on a role like that. (If you know anything about university governance and investigations.)
  6. Finally, Pepper Hamilton is a huge name in this kind of work. The report makes it sound like they did a sham investigation. Which is more credible? That Pepper Hamilton (look them up) did a sham investigation, or that a few people who are hurt by it would come up with a story?
  7. Why is Briles saying he's at fault if he doesn't think he was? (And by the way, he still doesn't get it.)

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/05/26/baylor-art-briles-sexual-assault-ken-starr

11 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I just posted the excerpt from the report. It directly implicates the football leadership.

Where did you post it? 

Everything I've read says that 2 players were accused on sexual misconduct and both were immediately removed from the team. The university, however, didn't follow-up for 2 years in one case. The athletics department was also under fire because of claims that one of the two had a prior issue at his previous school, but that was proven to be false. There was also something about players sneaking into another players room and pulling the sheets of him and his girlfriend, bu that is far from sexual misconduct. 

So how is Briles directly implicated?

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Where did you post it? 

Everything I've read says that 2 players were accused on sexual misconduct and both were immediately removed from the team. The university, however, didn't follow-up for 2 years in one case. The athletics department was also under fire because of claims that one of the two had a prior issue at his previous school, but that was proven to be false. There was also something about players sneaking into another players room and pulling the sheets of him and his girlfriend, bu that is far from sexual misconduct. 

So how is Briles directly implicated?

It's on p. 3 now. Here's the excerpt. And please see my comments immediately above.

In addition to broader University failings, Pepper found specific failings within both the
football program and Athletics Department leadership, including a failure to identify and respond
to a pattern of sexual violence by a football player, to take action in response to reports of a
sexual assault by multiple football players, and to take action in response to a report of dating
violence. Pepper’s findings also reflect significant concerns about the tone and culture within
Baylor’s football program as it relates to accountability for all forms of athlete misconduct.

6 minutes ago, AuGrad2004 said:

I'm game for Briles as long as the defensive staff can stay on.  I think they've done enough to stay plus it will cut down on buyouts.

A new HC should be free to hire his own staff and not be made to retain any of the previous staff unless it is his choice.

wde

12 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

It's on p. 3 now. Here's the excerpt. And please see my comments immediately above.

In addition to broader University failings, Pepper found specific failings within both the
football program and Athletics Department leadership, including a failure to identify and respond
to a pattern of sexual violence by a football player, to take action in response to reports of a
sexual assault by multiple football players, and to take action in response to a report of dating
violence. Pepper’s findings also reflect significant concerns about the tone and culture within
Baylor’s football program as it relates to accountability for all forms of athlete misconduct.

That's from Baylor's review of the report.  They are the ones hanging Briles out to dry.  Did you read the link Titan posted? http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Sources-question-whether-BU-sexual-assault-investigation-was-flawed-392649461.html

Some of the more interesting notes:

Baylor’s Title IX coordinator, Patty Crawford, said athletics was not the main concern.

“A very small percentage of our cases have anything to do with athletics”, Crawford said in the meeting, of which KWTX obtained a recording.  “And I've made that very clear to our leadership. This is not an athletics issue in the sense of violence and all these things, this is a human issue.” “We had a trial last August where someone was found guilty”, Crawford said. “And then there's another one two years ago related to (athletics).

Those two cases have been widely reported on, although key details have been misreported or left out.

The university is trying to save face for a widespread problem by sacrificing their most public figure.

I should add that the longer discussion of football begins on p 9. It specifically says football culture was a problem and football staff got in the way. It talks about "multiple" failures and patterns of behavior.

Archived