So Rick Neuheisel...

Charleston Tiger

5 hours ago, api1957 said:

What, if any, credibility does he have about our inner workings? Go ahead, I'll wait. 

It is called an opinion.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe how many of you are so eager to win you'd gladly accept a coach with questionable moral character and a history of issues. Look, I am as frustrated as the rest of you with the current status of the team, but I am damn sure not going look the other way on a potentially questionable coaching hire so we can win more games. That's not right, that's not the creed, and that's not Auburn. 

Briles may not be guilty of anything but do you really want the negative public opinion that he would bring? I see enough complaints on these forums on how we never get a fair shake with the media. Just what do you think would happen if Auburn hired Briles? The media and public opinion would be harsh to put it mildly.  

Petrino may be a solid coach, but he's also a bold-faced liar that would gladly throw his institution under the bus to save his own skin. 

I've seen Kiffen mentioned. Why? His tenures as HC haven't gone well. He's not prooven HC material. He's also a self glorifed ass. 

I think it's possible to both win and maintain the integrity of the institution. Crazy I know, but it can be done. 

...and FWIW, Neuheisel is talking out of his arse. 

Why should we aim to please the media? They are no friends of Auburn. Briles faced a witch hunt, the media tried to bury him and he stil may be innocent. We should know that given we had VIP seats to the Cam Newton witch hunt. 

Just win baby!!

5 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

Briles may not be guilty of anything but do you really want the negative public opinion that he would bring? I see enough complaints on these forums on how we never get a fair shake with the media. Just what do you think would happen if Auburn hired Briles? The media and public opinion would be harsh to put it mildly.  

I don't honestly think that the way the sports media treats us is going to get better or worse no matter who we hire.  Same with public opinion.  Those who judge Auburn still hang on to the cleared of all charges Cam Newton as proof that we're dirty, so I have no problem letting them talk trash about another person who was wrongfully accused.

Yeah, but in the insta-click age, this would only fan the flames. You make my point succinctly. Cam was innocent of any wrondoing by the NCAA, and the media still had a field day. Imagine what they would do should we bring on someone that is "factually" associated with ongoing numerious title IX lawsuits. 

Status quo where the media is concerned is vastly better than deliberately drawing their steely gaze. I can't stomach these so called journalists (im talking to you Thamel and Shad)  and their wildly innacurate mud slinging at the slightest sign of impropriety. It would be sauce for the goose. 

Just now, madkat7 said:

Yeah, but in the insta-click age, this would only fan the flames. You make my point succinctly. Cam was innocent of any wrondoing by the NCAA, and the media still had a field day. Imagine what they would do should we bring on someone that is "factually" associated with ongoing numerious title IX lawsuits. 

Status quo where the media is concerned is vastly better than deliberately drawing their steely gaze. I can't stomach these so called journalists (im talking to you Thamel and Shad)  and their wildly innacurate mud slinging at the slightest sign of impropriety. It would be sauce for the goose. 

Bring it on.  If everything I'm reading is true, and the AU PR department treats it like they treated the Cam investigation, we can once again prove that these boneheads are just that and don't deserve the time people spend reading their drivel. Then the people with a brain will realize that Auburn actually supported someone who was wrongly accused and is, once again, the good guy, and the idiots will continue to claim we are dirty, because Auburn could cure cancer, solve world hunger, and create sustainable cold fusion and they would still hate us.

People talk about what the perception of AU would be if we hired AB. Well, do y'all know what the perception of AU is now? The only difference would be we would be winning...

After the research that I've seen posted in other threads (the link by Titan is very illuminating), I'm not willing to outright dismiss the idea if we had to make a change and were considering Briles.  With that said, I don't want him for football reasons.  While he will certainly win games, I don't think he can deliver us championships.  I vividly remember sitting in Jerryworld for the Cotton Bowl two years ago and watching his team blow a 20 point 4th quarter lead to Michigan State because he doesn't know how to milk the clock when needed.  Baylor was also destroyed on the big stage in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago by Central Florida.  Unless we could keep most, if not all, of our current defensive staff, I'd be uninterested in hiring him.

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't honestly think that the way the sports media treats us is going to get better or worse no matter who we hire.  Same with public opinion.  Those who judge Auburn still hang on to the cleared of all charges Cam Newton as proof that we're dirty, so I have no problem letting them talk trash about another person who was wrongfully accused.

Seems to me that as long as Briles is clean, nothing too bad come out of it. Maybe he evens come to AU and developes the chip on his shoulder like Petrino. 

If he's clean the only potential people to worry about is recruits. And it will not be easy to find an offensive kid who won't want to play for an offensive oriented team with the offense being led by AB. 

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep

Sounds good for Briles.  I would caution that there were articles questioning the Freeh Report regarding Paterno and the Sandusky scandal and that many Penn State fans still believe Paterno was totally innocent and knew nothing.  

wde

1. The SEC just recently pushed for strong stance against domestic violence and assault on women. All the universities are going to avoid any perception of protecting or condoning that sort of thing. And no school in the SEC will want a coach who is perceived as being weak on this issue.

2. The Title IX investigation is ongoing at Baylor. If Briles is found to have been aware of the problems in his program and not acted, he could be found culpable, just as Paterno was at Penn State.

3. The NCAA has not yet completed its investigation and if Briles is found to have been aware of the cover ups, he could receive a show cause.

4. The head coach is supposed to be aware of what is going on in his program. If his staff were covering up sexual assaults by players, it was his job to know it. If he denies knowing about it, that does not erase his responsibility. The head coach bears responsibility for what goes on in his program.

So, I really doubt Briles will be at Auburn. He's just too toxic right now. Look elsewhere for salvation.

1 minute ago, AURex said:

1. The SEC just recently pushed for strong stance against domestic violence and assault on women. All the universities are going to avoid any perception of protecting or condoning that sort of thing. And no school in the SEC will want a coach who is perceived as being weak on this issue.

2. The Title IX investigation is ongoing at Baylor. If Briles is found to have been aware of the problems in his program and not acted, he could be found culpable, just as Paterno was at Penn State.

3. The NCAA has not yet completed its investigation and if Briles is found to have been aware of the cover ups, he could receive a show cause.

4. The head coach is supposed to be aware of what is going on in his program. If his staff were covering up sexual assaults by players, it was his job to know it. If he denies knowing about it, that does not erase his responsibility. The head coach bears responsibility for what goes on in his program.

So, I really doubt Briles will be at Auburn. He's just too toxic right now. Look elsewhere for salvation.

At Baylor, it was a title IX problem. Read the linked article. The athletes that were involved with the allegations were kicked from the team or never stepped on the field.

You do not get canned because you immediately kick a couple of players off the team for sexually assaulting women. You are praised for doing the right thing.

2 hours ago, api1957 said:

Oh, really? Thanks, musty knuckle. 

No problem Numbnuts. No reason for him to know the inner workings of AU. I will continue to let you wait like an idiot though.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

People talk about what the perception of AU would be if we hired AB. Well, do y'all know what the perception of AU is now? The only difference would be we would be winning...

bring him. Name has been dismissed from the lawsuit.

3 hours ago, madkat7 said:

who cares? Winning cures all. 

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

No problem Numbnuts. No reason for him to know the inner workings of AU. I will continue to let you wait like an idiot though.

I bet you were the coolest kid on the short bus.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

No...we would be validating their perceptions and those of us who defend AU vigorously would have nothing to say.  It's relatively easy to call BS to the bammers and dawgs who can't forget Cam but nobody could defend the school with A. Briles as the HC.

Meanwhile I'm wondering where the idea comes from that Briles did not know what was going on at Baylor and yet other people above him were held accountable to the extent they no longer work for the school. And lately Baylor is as much of a football factory as anyplace you can name...and they dumped a coach who had brought them success on the football field.

The fact that AU don't have any facts about Briles's transgressions is meaningless.  You can bet the farm that over in Waco there are file cabinets full of interviews and depositions on the issue.....or nobody would have lost their jobs. 

Archived