Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

I don't understand that view that we must have a QB who can beat someone with his legs.  Sure, things are changing but as I watch football nationwide, not that many teams depend on the QB to be a serious running threat. Also seems that Gus made his reputation as an offensive coach before he had Cam and Nick

JMO but seems to me that if a running QB is not a threat to beat you with his arm, his running game is also no longer a threat.  ..... the defenses close down on the LOS dare him to pass the ball.  ...and that's the problem JF3 faces.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't understand that view that we must have a QB who can beat someone with his legs.  Sure, things are changing but as I watch football nationwide, not that many teams depend on the QB to be a serious running threat. Also seems that Gus made his reputation as an offensive coach before he had Cam and Nick

JMO but seems to me that if a running QB is not a threat to beat you with his arm, his running game is also no longer a threat.  ..... the defenses close down on the LOS dare him to pass the ball.  ...and that's the problem JF3 faces.

I'm gonna recycle my own analogy here and build on it a little: Auburn fans saw Gus drive 2 red cars that were both Ferraris, so they decided that 1) Gus only drives red cars and 2) that all red cars are Ferraris. 

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't know 64. Seems to me most teams I watch, have guys that can hurt you with their legs; especially the top tier teams: Ohio State, Clemson, Louisville, Houston, Ole Miss, FSU, UAT, TAMU, Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor, even TX has moved that way. And seems to me that there has always been an old football axiom about "establishing the run first", but that could be changing in this day and age. To me it makes sense to have a true dual threat. When I watch our games and the defensive ends have absolutely no respect for any QB keeper it does limit our running game, BUT I get it. If the guy can't throw, then you are now a one dimensional team that runs, compared to a one dimensional team that passes. Probable get the same result on the scoreboard.

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm gonna recycle my own analogy here and build on it a little: Auburn fans saw Gus drive 2 red cars that were both Ferraris, so they decided that 1) Gus only drives red cars and 2) that all red cars are Ferraris. 

LOVE those Ferraris!  Especially compared to the Puke Green Pintos that he drove the other years.....

Right now, I'd say he's driving a Camaro/Mustang (your choice) that's only hitting on 7 cylinders.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Right now, I'd say he's driving a Camaro/Mustang (your choice) that's only hitting on 7 cylinders.

I'd argue that he just doesn't know how to drive it yet. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Games 1-3 yes, I agree. 

However (my opinion only) I feel like there were signs against LSU that he's picked up some decent driving habits but one of the cylinders (blocking) let him down.
Get that cylinder repaired and he could be driving a Shelby, at least.

12 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I don't know 64. Seems to me most teams I watch, have guys that can hurt you with their legs; especially the top tier teams: Ohio State, Clemson, Louisville, Houston, Ole Miss, FSU, UAT, TAMU, Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor, even TX has moved that way. And seems to me that there has always been an old football axiom about "establishing the run first", but that could be changing in this day and age. To me it makes sense to have a true dual threat. When I watch our games and the defensive ends have absolutely no respect for any QB keeper it does limit our running game, BUT I get it. If the guy can't throw, then you are now a one dimensional team that runs, compared to a one dimensional team that passes. Probable get the same result on the scoreboard.

Each of the teams you mention, the QB is a serous passer too...DT is the best of all possible worlds but there are not that many elite ones around...and surely if you are fortunate to have one of them, that's an advantage.  

That said...if you don't have one of them....I'm of the opinion that a good passing QB and some strong RBs are the next best option.....and a quality OL does not hurt of course.

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus and staff also believe we need a qb that can at least have the ability to make a defense respect him running the ball. Gus has had success with a qb that can't  run like Chris Todd . Chris Todd wasn't nearly as effective against the SEC teams though. When has Gus been successfull without a DT QB in the SEC? Arkansas you can make an argument but he had one of the best duo of rbs that we have seen in a while. We don't have an OL atm that can hold up if we try to throw the ball 25 plus times a game. It shows how good the two rbs we have are with the defense being able to key in on them. 

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

Different calibre of athletes? Maybe the uber athletic d ends in this league are messing stuff up. 

Certainly a consideration. I supposed the O-line could have sucked at Tulsa, but their opponent's D-Lines sucked just as bad.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So does Lashlee even have a learners permit?

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I guess they all didn't take logic 101 as one of their electives at Auburn.

To continue the analogy... sort of... now he's driving a black BMW and no one knows what to think.

13 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Gus and staff also believe we need a qb that can at least have the ability to make a defense respect him running the ball. Gus has had success with a qb that can't  run like Chris Todd . Chris Todd wasn't nearly as effective against the SEC teams though. When has Gus been successfull without a DT QB in the SEC? Arkansas you can make an argument but he had one of the best duo of rbs that we have seen in a while. We don't have an OL atm that can hold up if we try to throw the ball 25 plus times a game. It shows how good the two rbs we have are with the defense being able to key in on them. 

Actually, it was a trio of RBs at Arkansas.

As I mentioned elsewhere... probably in this thread... he was WILDLY successful at Tulsa with a guy probably not that different from Sean. He can have an offense that is halfway between that one and this one in terms of production and we'd be 4-0 right now by a comfortable margin. We drove up and down the field on LSU, we just didn't convert in the red zone. 

As for our offensive line... do you think Nick Marshall would be as successful behind this line as he was behind the guys we had in '13 and '14? Do you think Cam would have been as successful without 3-4 4th year starters in front of him? 

Again, you've stated over and over again that you prefer a dual-threat QB. I get it. I doubt that Gus has stated that he *needs* one. If he did, then I wish they'd show him the door right now. If he can't field an adequate OL 2 years in a row and he can't come up with a playbook for a quality passer with better than average mobility and a decent head for the game, then's he's a sh** coach who really does need to find his way back to high school. 

2 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

Before LSU, I wouldn't even give Lashlee the plastic keys to the beepee horn steering wheel in the back seat.

However, LSU was "reasonable" when compared to CU and aTm...  And supposedly it WAS him calling the game so...I'll give him a chance at least (with supervision, of course).

9 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

So... riddle me this.  You appear to have some sort of connection that tells you what the staff is thinking. Do they think the need a QB who can run the ball because they know the O-Line/blocking in general isn't up to snuff OR do they think they need a QB who can run because they don't think they are capable of creating a powerful offense without one no matter how good the rest of the team is? 

5 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

I'm very happy that we'll be finding out. Seems he did everything but nail the three point turn in his test the other night. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So... riddle me this.  You appear to have some sort of connection that tells you what the staff is thinking. Do they think the need a QB who can run the ball because they know the O-Line/blocking in general isn't up to snuff OR do they think they need a QB who can run because they don't think they are capable of creating a powerful offense without one no matter how good the rest of the team is? 

Not 23, of course, but I'd say this... ^^^

That is the reason that I have been wanting a (GOOD) DT QB.  It helps cover up a lot of blemishes....

I believe that the 2014 offense would have sucked without Nick Marshall.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Actually, it was a trio of RBs at Arkansas.

As I mentioned elsewhere... probably in this thread... he was WILDLY successful at Tulsa with a guy probably not that different from Sean. He can have an offense that is halfway between that one and this one in terms of production and we'd be 4-0 right now by a comfortable margin. We drove up and down the field on LSU, we just didn't convert in the red zone. 

As for our offensive line... do you thin Nick Marshall would be as successful behind this line as he was behind the guys we had in '13 and '14? Do you think Cam would have been as successful without 3-4 4th year starters in front of him? 

Again, you've stated over and over again that you prefer a dual-threat QB. I get it. I doubt that Gus has stated that he *needs* one. If he did, then I wish they'd show him the door right now. If he can't field an adequate OL 2 years in a row and he can't come up with a playbook for a quality passer with better than average mobility and a decent head for the game, then's he's a sh** coach who really does need to find his way back to high school. 

Amen....Nick or Cam... those kind of guys show up  every decade or so.....what happens while the coach is waiting to find the next one ?  Maybe that's what we are seeing now?

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm very happy that we'll be finding out. Seems he did everything but nail the three point turn in his test the other night. 

Dang parallel parking gets ya every time...

19 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Ok.  Taking what you posted is fact.  Then Gus and company have been total failures at recruiting a good DT QB since Nick Marshall.  I know you love JF3 but he should have never been offered a scholly.

wde

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Certainly a consideration. I supposed the O-line could have sucked at Tulsa, but their opponent's D-Lines sucked just as bad.

Yeah I thought about that but then I went a little deeper. Maybe d ends (some) being able to run down sweeps or linebackers that can literally cover a slot or things like that. Literally physical things.

Like playing basketball against suck players. Well your team sucks as well as your opponent's team but you don't have to worry about big men that can guard the perimeter as well as the paint, all world ballhandlers things like that making the overall scheme easier.

Where I'm from there is a school called Brooks and always known to have at the least 3 awesome shooters on the floor at all times...scheme wise they would kill you every time....until they played a team that was so physically gifted than them that all the other team had to do is play man up close and personal and switch screens. If they didn't have one mismatch they couldn't exploit the entire thing broke down. 

Maybe that's what's going on with us...we're not producing that mismatch that will make everything go

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Amen....Nick or Cam... those kind of guys show up  every decade or so.....what happens while the coach is waiting to find the next one ?  Maybe that's what we are seeing now?

You offer them the scholarship and not send them away....

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You offer them the scholarship and not send them away....

This is gonna make you sick.

So far in 2016, Evans is off to a sizzling start. In four games, the junior quarterback is completing 67 percent of his passes for 964 yards and 13 touchdowns. He has just one interception and it came off a tipped pass. Evans is also second on the team in rushing with 209 yards. His 55-yard touchdown run against East Carolina last weekend was a thing of beauty.

56 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Ok.  Taking what you posted is fact.  Then Gus and company have been total failures at recruiting a good DT QB since Nick Marshall.  I know you love JF3 but he should have never been offered a scholly.

wde

As a QB? No . That scholarship should've went to the V.Tech QB .

As an athlete, yes.

Archived