Can we talk about the ESPN broadcasting crew?

RunInRed

42 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The refs did the right thing.  They knew there would be replay and it would be MUCH easier to say the play was no good than to blow the whistle only to have replay find that the snap did get off.

Of course that doesn't excuse them missing the receiver not getting set and the pass interference on Fournette.

So you know there was one second left in the game. So then you also decide to not assure  all of the players are set, (they have to be set before the ball is snapped) and to not assure the snap gets off before the game clock hits zero?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

So you know there was one second left in the game. So then you also decide to not assure  all of the players are set, (they have to be set before the ball is snapped) and to not assure the snap gets off before the game clock hits zero?

This is the SEC....you never know what they are going to do.    Seems they did everything possible to allow LSU to get the ball off....just set the ball down and ran back out of the way without even looking to see if they were set.    The difference between pre-review era and the current situation.   Not that many years ago, LSU would have gotten away with that play.

Just now, AU-24 said:

The not assuring all the players were set was a missed call and a flag should have been thrown once the play started, but not trying to assure the snap got off was the best move they could have made, because they knew it was reviewable and accidentally stopping play if they had gotten the snap off would have been a nightmare.

I honestly don't think anyone on the field was truly ready for that play... even some of the LSU players seemed lost.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

The not assuring all the players were set was a missed call and a flag should have been thrown once the play started, but not trying to assure the snap got off was the best move they could have made, because they knew it was reviewable and accidentally stopping play if they had gotten the snap off would have been a nightmare.

I honestly don't think anyone on the field was truly ready for that play... even some of the LSU players seemed lost.

I definitely don't agree with: let's let the place go in any situation because it can be reviewed. Just my two cents.

I mean when you know there is only one second left on the clock, and you're the one that is going to signal to have the game clock started, what else are you watching for? Certainly two of your primary concerns have to be, is the O players set before the snap and did they get the snap off on time.

This, plus as was stated earlier, they were in no hurry to have that play reviewed until Gus was on the field yelling and pointing to the replay booth.

3 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

They wanted LSU to win to get better ratings for the LSU & Turd game.  Oh well.  We ruined that party!

We caused ratings all right. We got their coach fired. But you are right. 

Worst mess of a crew I have ever seen.  I don't know if they were just that biased or just that stupid.  I tend to think a little (or a lot) of both.  I hope they never come back.  

1 minute ago, WDE Matty said:

Did no one see also because the snap was late , the qb was also across the line of scrimmage? The commentary blew this week

Would a fwd pass across the line of scrimmage not too be reviewable?

3 hours ago, Nstig8r said:

At least we didn't have to listen to a sauced-sounding Brent Musburger calling us ARRBurn and telling us stories about "the old days"...

I like the guy...if he weren't with Jesse F. Palmer

I liked Nessler and Blacklidge best.  If any current announcers were allowed,  I would like Aikman as color with maybe Nessler as play by play

Several of you have commented about the refs missing the players not being set, but I read where Les as well as some of his players said there was a flag thrown. These announcers obviously never mentioned that, but I wondered if any of y'all who've re-watched the game have noticed a flag. Les actually sounded to me as if he knew the whole time that last play wasn't going to count, like he knew they didn't get the play off plus there was a flag. I just wondered if anyone watching the game saw a flag.

I'm awfully glad to read y'all saying you couldn't believe the announcers at the end were saying you couldn't tell if the ball was snapped in time. I was watching & thinking, "What are you talking about? The clock is at zero & the ball is still on the ground!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing!

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

This is the SEC....you never know what they are going to do.    Seems they did everything possible to allow LSU to get the ball off....just set the ball down and ran back out of the way without even looking to see if they were set.    The difference between pre-review era and the current situation.   Not that many years ago, LSU would have gotten away with that play.

And bama still would have.

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Here's I mean about using where the ball began at the Auburn side of the 15 using the camera angle. Notice where the nose of the ball is with one second left:

imagejpeg

Now, here it is the same camera from a few frames later, when the clock reads 0:00. The ball's nose is still on that side of the 15, #83 for LSU is not set, and the Right Tackle for LSU is still moving:

imagejpeg

No brainer to me. No brain for Gilmore. 

The only way you can see it like those announcers see it is if you want lsu to win so bad that you cant see reality - which is pretty much what happened with them. How bout the offensive PI by Fournette though? I think thats about the most blatant offensive PI Ive ever seen.

4 hours ago, Auburn4life said:

I can't believe no one from either team (all coaches) or the announcers noticed Auburn was supposed to be 3rd and 4 and the down showed up as 2nd & goal.

I thought I caught that weird sequence of downs, too, but haven't re-watched the game to catch what unfolded with a level head. Do you remember which drive, quarter it happened?

My technique: Since live radio is ahead of the TV broadcast, I bring up the AU network on TuneIn Radio, which also has a lag. Then I pause the TV feed until I get the two synched. It works well for a while, then the TV will delay returning from a commercial, and I have to readjust. It's well worth it.

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I remember in 2010 for the National Championship you had 4-5 different options of how you could watch the game.  It was pretty cool.  They should bring that back.

I think the Watch ESPN App replays the Skycam feed for one game each week.  While there are some strange angles, it's crowd noise only with no announcers.  Kind of fun to watch and listen.

I was watching the replay of the game earlier but stopped at the start of the 4th qtr for the debate.  I want to see the play where Carl sacked the QB on the last drive.  Read that only one second went off the clock on that play.  That does not seem reasonable but want to verify what I read.  No way a sack takes one second.

Rod Gilmore is terrible on any game he covers. He's just clueless and always seems to side with one team over the other. I never thought I'd say this, but I much prefer listening to Jesse Palmer provide color. He "dials up" far too many clichés, but he actually does his homework more than any other announcer I've noticed and doesn't openly appear to be as biased as idiots like Gilmore.

10 hours ago, Auburn06 said:

LSU winning: "AND THE TIGERS ROAR!!!!!!

Auburn winning: "Auburn appears to be celebrating" "Auburn are the victors"

Listening to those two bafoons on this video just pissed me off. 

5 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

Rod Gilmore is terrible on any game he covers. He's just clueless and always seems to side with one team over the other. I never thought I'd say this, but I much prefer listening to Jesse Palmer provide color. He "dials up" far too many clichés, but he actually does his homework more than any other announcer I've noticed and doesn't openly appear to be as biased as idiots like Gilmore.

I have slowly started to develop a respect for Palmer. I first thought if him as simply that guy from the Bachelor, but over the last year or so have become really impressed with how much work he puts into his craft. He clearly knows the team he covers unlike one announcer Saturday that kept thinking JF3 would get a lot of playing time.

Just now, thaitopher said:

I have slowly started to develop a respect for Palmer. I first thought if him as simply that guy from the Bachelor, but over the last year or so have become really impressed with how much work he puts into his craft. He clearly knows the team he covers unlike one announcer Saturday that kept thinking JF3 would get a lot of playing time.

I agree with you.  I don't know anything about him as a person except his "persona" is that of pretty boy frat boy.  That is somewhat backed up by the fact that he seems to LOVE to hear himself talk on and on and cannot let the crowd noise and atmosphere just kinda tell the story here and there.  BUT, he truly seems to do his homework for both teams and frankly, I've not caught onto any hint of bias when he calls a game.  He's VERY fair to Auburn, in my opinion....I can even see where other teams' fans might say he's biased TOWARDS Auburn when he does one of there games.  If he would just talk a little less, I sorta like the Brent/Jesse team myself.  ...but that's just me.

I know a lot of people don't like Brent but I give him the Harry Carey pass.  That dude has done SO many big games (and big AU games) that it's just like listening to good ol' crazy uncle call the game. ...memories...  LOVED his call of the 94 AU-UF game.  ..and like Jesse, I can't say that I feel he's biased against AU when he does their games except years ago, during a bowl game against Michigan.  He loved the RB for Michigan that year..The "A-Train" I think he kept calling him?

Archived