Can we talk about the ESPN broadcasting crew?

RunInRed

16 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

I think they already did something like this.  Didn't they have little Nicky saban join them in the ESPN booth to commentate during the Auburn/Fla St natl championship game?

It's customary for ESPN to have the reigning NC head coach commentate during the NC game broadcast.  I remember Chizik doing it in 2011 for the uat/lsu game and last this year Urban was there for the uat/clemson NC game.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only were they very biased, they were uninformed.  They clearly did no research before calling this game.  They said so many dumb things I wish the guy from Billy Madison was in the booth with them.

Full disclosure, I always wanted to be a Sports Broadcaster growing up.  God put me on another path (as His Broadcaster, LOL) but I still have a passion for Sports Broadcasting.  When I see performances like Saturday night (and they are plentiful), it really aggravates me!  There are thousands of people who would love to have the opportunity to do what those clowns had the privilege to do Saturday night who could have done an exponentially better job than they did!  Shame on you Mark, Rod, and ESPN!

I started the game with the ESPN coverage muted and listening to Stan and Rod, but there was about a 5 second difference (there almost always is) between the 2.  So I had to turn Rod and Stan off and listen to that garbage.  At least we got a win and showed improvement, and I could laugh at the announcers because I knew they were disappointed.

4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Not only were they very biased, they were uninformed.  They clearly did no research before calling this game.  They said so many dumb things I wish the guy from Billy Madison was in the booth with them.

Full disclosure, I always wanted to be a Sports Broadcaster growing up.  God put me on another path (as His Broadcaster, LOL) but I still have a passion for Sports Broadcasting.  When I see performances like Saturday night (and they are plentiful), it really aggravates me!  There are thousands of people who would love to have the opportunity to do what those clowns had the privilege to do Saturday night who could have done an exponentially better job than they did!  Shame on you Mark, Rod, and ESPN!

I started the game with the ESPN coverage muted and listening to Stan and Rod, but there was about a 5 second difference (there almost always is) between the 2.  So I had to turn Rod and Stan off and listen to that garbage.  At least we got a win and showed improvement, and I could laugh at the announcers because I knew they were disappointed.

Gilmore should not be allowed to do a AU game again. And anyway to line up the TV and radio? Someone here should know how. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gilmore should not be allowed to do a AU game again. And anyway to line up the TV and radio? Someone here should know how. 

Or anyone else's games for that matter, lol.

I was streaming both (Watch ESPN app and auburntigers.com radio) if that matters.

But if someone knows how to make that work, I would be VERY interested!!!  Stan and Rod obviously have a pro-Auburn bias, they get paid to.  But they are very informed and do a good job calling the game.  I haven't listened to our broadcast during the game (only the pregame) since Ronnie Brown has been on the sideline.  How has he been doing so far?

19 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If you go on YouTube and watch the full game, go the the very end where the call of a touchdown is under review.  They were 110% convinced the time did not run out.  Even when it was shown in slow motion, and it was obvious, they still said LSU won the game.  

This. I was blown away that after multiple slow motion shots showed the ball CLEARLY not snapped when the clock read 0:00, they still insisted on saying "You still can't tell when the ball is snapped so you cannot overrule. Nothing conclusive here". Are they really that biased or just blind and inept?

21 hours ago, Auburn4life said:

I can't believe no one from either team (all coaches) or the announcers noticed Auburn was supposed to be 3rd and 4 and the down showed up as 2nd & goal.

First part of the 2nd quarter, the broadcast screwed up the downs once we went up-tempo with Pettway. You can see the chains not lining up with their on-screen lines and they got off by a down.

26 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

First part of the 2nd quarter, the broadcast screwed up the downs once we went up-tempo with Pettway. You can see the chains not lining up with their on-screen lines and they got off by a down.

This. I noticed it today when watching a replay. I'd seen Auburn4life's post earlier, then noticed the chains not keeping up with the down/distance on the broadcast (or vice versa) and remembered this part of the discussion.

man, when I first read this thread, I was already feeling angry and I had not gotten past the first page of this thread!

Does anyone remember when the last time LSU celebrated an Auburn win? I take comfort in that.

10 hours ago, thaitopher said:

I have slowly started to develop a respect for Palmer. I first thought if him as simply that guy from the Bachelor, but over the last year or so have become really impressed with how much work he puts into his craft. He clearly knows the team he covers unlike one announcer Saturday that kept thinking JF3 would get a lot of playing time.

I respectfully disagree. I can never forgive him after he said Bama should go to National Champ game after kick 6. Maybe ESPN paid/told him to say it, but he still said it. The bachelor is dead to me

9 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Crazy this was the ESPN main game! Not the "Ocho"!!!!

4 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

man, when I first read this thread, I was already feeling angry and I had not gotten past the first page of this thread!

Does anyone remember when the last time LSU celebrated an Auburn win? I take comfort in that.

Lol...yeah, LSU seemed pretty excited for Auburn.

On 9/26/2016 at 8:30 PM, aukd1 said:

Try this site to help sync video feed to Stan and Rod's broadcast: 

http://www.ausyncav.com

Thanks, I'll be looking into this. Several years ago I bought a "sports radio" that could be delayed to sync with the TV but it's limit was 10 seconds of delay time and my Dishnet runs around 15 seconds behind.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Thanks, I'll be looking into this. Several years ago I bought a "sports radio" that could be delayed to sync with the TV but it's limit was 10 seconds of delay time and my Dishnet runs around 15 seconds behind.

Thank you for the link.  I watch AT&T Uverse and listen on TuneIn and the sync runs a few seconds behind and doesn't bother me at all.  Unfortunately, my tv recording obviously has the clown crew announcers, but they're good for a laugh.  While Stan White was on radio saying LSU didn't get the play off on time Gilmore was trying to convince his audience they couldn't see the ball.  My wife (not very knowledgeable about football) stopped the replay, pointed to the ball, and asked, "Isn't that the ball?".  My response, "You should be doing the color commentary."

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Gotta try that http://www.ausyncav.com/ site myself. Listening to ESPN this past week could have cost me a nice Dell laptop' 'cause I don't have television to throw a brick at and streaming ESPN and having to listen to the morons that called the game for 'em almost made me throw my Dell across the room!

Glad to know that I'm not the only one completely in shock about the way these two clowns announced the game. 

It was like seeing a car wreck. I kept telling myself to mute the TV, but couldn't do it. 

On 9/26/2016 at 8:09 PM, ValleyTiger said:

I thought I caught that weird sequence of downs, too, but haven't re-watched the game to catch what unfolded with a level head. Do you remember which drive, quarter it happened?

2nd quarter between 14:30 to 13:30

Anyone else notice Fornette under cut Holsey as he appears to be trying to make a play on the ball?

13 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Anyone else notice Fornette under cut Holsey as he appears to be trying to make a play on the ball?

Yes... it's been mentioned a few times and WarTiger confirmed that is should have been offensive pass interference, since the ball was in the air.

During the game my sister (an LSU fan) was joking about how those guys should cover more LSU games. I particularly cringed at their outrage over a game turning on "what happened 3 stories above the playing field". That whole new fangled play-review process is finally on ESPN's radar I guess. 

On 9/27/2016 at 8:42 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I have done this a couple of times this year.  If you are streaming the AU audio from your phone or computer it should be a little bit behind the TV broadcast.  I paused the TV with the DVR as we lined up for kickoff and used the crowd's "WAR-R-R-R-R Eagle, HEY!" leading up to the kick as my gauge for when to push play.  I had it so close the audio from a penalty was synced with the ref's lips.  I plan to do this for any game I don't have the ability to go to from now on.  

That fake end of the game that espn put out was extremely identical to the real game

announcers super happy when LSU won, talking about how great there were and everyone knew they could do it

to super mad about the actual outcome 

crazy how he went from "and the tiiiiiigers roooooooaar!!!" 

To "never mind, I guess auburn somehow won. I'm going home."

Archived