Did you know?

abw0004

-- Sean White leads the SEC and is 10th nationally with a 68.4 percent completion percentage

-- Kerryon Johnson had a career-best 146 yards and two scores and is now tied for the SEC lead with six rushing touchdowns

-- After his first career 100-yard game, Tony Stevens is sixth in the SEC with 344 receiving yards

RUSHING OFFENSE
2014: 255.5 (2nd, 13th)
2015: 196.4 (5th, 35th)
Last week: 234.8 (3rd, 27th)
2016: 269.8 (1st, 10th)
Why: Auburn ran for 410 yards on 66 carries with five touchdowns

TOTAL OFFENSE
2014: 485.0 (2nd, 16th)
2015: 370.0 (10th, 94th)
Last week: 438.8 (6th, 59th)
2016: 488.6 (4th, 28th)
Why: Auburn gained 688 yards on 84 plays for an average of 8.2 yards per play

SCORING DEFENSE
2014: 26.7 (10th, 62nd)
2015: 26.0 (11th, 54th)
Last week: 18.8 (6th, 28th)
2016: 16.4 (5th, 15th)
Why: ULM scored 7 points

Let's keep those ranking numbers trending downward. Love what I'm seeing from our D. It's been a while. We can be in ANY game with a D playing like ours. I would like to see more forced turnovers though. WDE

I know we were tough on Gus at the beginning of the season with the disappointing losses, but the team is noticeably improving. 

One number that stood out: 15th in nation in scoring defense. This stat speaks volumes. Steele has done an unbelievable job so far. Muschamp and Gus have done their fair share.

7 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

I know we were tough on Gus at the beginning of the season with the disappointing losses, but the team is noticeably improving. 

I admit that, though I normally consider myself pretty even keel (if not downright sunshine pumper), I was ready to push Gus under the Bus after aTm.

But, again, he's basically saying the right things right now and although I won't get too excited over the ULm performance, I DID see some very good things against LSU and THAT is what I'm assuming is the rainbow that I'm seeing at the moment.  The LSU performance was genuine improvement and it's nice to have ULm to build upon it.  

I'll be watching the MSU game with a lot of hope!

Too bad we don't have Alabama A&M this week instead of MSU.  Then a full 50% of our games would have been against compass-campus level schools instead of just 40%.  We'd be #1 in every SEC statistical category, proving once and for all...uh...um...?

Didn't look, but where are we on offensive plays for loss?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.  Let the final scores against our peers tell the tale.

6 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Too bad we don't have Alabama A&M this week instead of MSU.  Then a full 50% of our games would have been against compass-campus level schools instead of just 40%.  We'd be #1 in every SEC statistical category, proving once and for all...uh...um...?

Didn't look, but where are we on offensive plays for loss?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.  Let the final scores against our peers tell the tale.

Where would you rank our schedule in the SEC?  FWIW, there are only 4 SEC schools (LSU, UGA, TAMU, USCe) who have played less than two non-power 5 teams.  So our SEC stats are not really misleading as you're indicating.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

2 of the guys in the OP are sophomores.

That was one of the things that surprised me in the game coverage this week.  The announcers went on and on about how young ULM was, but seemed to be oblivious as to how young Auburn is (other than Davidson, who got a little love). I just chalked it up to trying to make a doomed fan base feel better.

Still, as we've discussed before, Auburn has CRAZY talent in a lot of it's younger players.  Practically every big time play in the game had a first or second year player directly involved.

29 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Where would you rank our schedule in the SEC?  FWIW, there are only 4 SEC schools (LSU, UGA, TAMU, USCe) who have played less than two non-power 5 teams.  So our SEC stats are not really misleading as you're indicating.

The stats are unrepresentative for the simple fact that while an SEC team will give 100% effort against an SEC rival, they can play anywhere between 40%-100% against a paid scrimmage team.  Stats against directionals mean little other than to allow fans to briefly fantasize that their slammed Accord with the wide tires is somehow a race car.

The team is improving. Let's not get carried away with such hype.

21 minutes ago, AURealist said:

The stats are unrepresentative for the simple fact that while an SEC team will give 100% effort against an SEC rival, they can play anywhere between 40%-100% against a paid scrimmage team.  Stats against directionals mean little other than to allow fans to briefly fantasize that their slammed Accord with the wide tires is somehow a race car.

The team is improving. Let's not get carried away with such hype.

Do not think anyone is getting carried a way with hype. It is good to see us beat a directional the way an Auburn team is accustomed to, and should beat these teams. 

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Do not think anyone is getting carried a way with hype. It is good to see us beat a directional the way an Auburn team is accustomed to, and should beat these teams.

I'm heartened to see the team playing well and improving every week.  That said, I just don't think the stats should be used to make any broader assumptions about the team in relation to SEC play.  Others, I guess, see no issue there, so I guess there are more "Team is on track for..." and "Players on pace to..." threads in the future.  (Now would be a very good time, btw.)

I'll just be happy to continue the improvement and win 'em as we play 'em.

I think the stats can be believed, especially when you see who we have played.  We have played three top defenses (Clemson, TA&M, LSU) so far and two top offenses (Clemson, TA&M).  Not many schools can say that quite just yet.

It is the same reasoning I am not buying Tennessee being as good as people say they are.  They haven't played a good team yet.  They barely beat UGA, who almost lost to their non-conference team and got blown out of the water by Ole Miss.  Their other ranked win is against Florida who isn't as good as last year.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I think the stats can be believed, especially when you see who we have played.  We have played three top defenses (Clemson, TA&M, LSU) so far and two top offenses (Clemson, TA&M).  Not many schools can say that quite just yet.

It is the same reasoning I am not buying Tennessee being as good as people say they are.  They haven't played a good team yet.  They barely beat UGA, who almost lost to their non-conference team and got blown out of the water by Ole Miss.  Their other ranked win is against Florida who isn't as good as last year.

Funny enough, their opponent W-L record is the best, or one of the best, of all ranked teams (or something like that)

Here is a more complete breakdown...

AU is 64th in Rush D. Allowing 4.3 ypc.

AU is 37th in Pass D. Allowing 202 yds per game...

AU is 40th in Total D. 15th in scoring D.

AU ranks 24th on 3rd down D.

AU ranks 27th in Red Zone D.

AU is 68th in TFL.

AU is 46th in Sacks.

A very young AU team is getting better and.... NO NO NO !!! WAIT...We must complain and point out any and all shortcomings.....There. Feel better??

I'm pleased with the team, only group that needs most improvements is Oline. If they improve, no game left is a guaranteed loss. Just not sold on XD at center. James has looked better than Golson and Leff when in the game.

19 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

One number that stood out: 15th in nation in scoring defense. This stat speaks volumes. Steele has done an unbelievable job so far. Muschamp and Gus have done their fair share.

Scoring defense is the most important statistic. Nothing else matters when it comes to defense. Great job and let's keep it up. War Eagle

These rankings and statistics are impressive, but I think they are also a bit deceiving. They are statistics over a 5 game stretch in which we played 3 of our 4 OOC games, 2 of which were against opponents with a significantly lower talent level. We have arguably not played the 2 best defense that we will face this year in Alabama and Ole Miss. 

Don't get me wrong, we look a lot more like a good football team this year than we did last year and our defense is miles ahead of where we were in 2014, but it's like my dad always said: there are lies, there are damn lies, then there are statistics.

Screw Ole Miss and their D. They are ranked #14 and gave up 45 to Florida State (overated) and lost by 10 and gave up 48 to Bama #1 and lost by 5. Their only wins are Wofford, Georgia (overrated) and Memphis. How their ranked that high with 2 losses is beyond me. We have lost to Clemson #3 and aTm #8. We practically have the same type schedule as them and are not in the top 25 at all. They are ahead of one loss teams and no loss teams. Whatever. When they get killed by fat Bert this weekend it will show who they really are. A team based off last years rankings. Just like us, based off last year. But back to the real point of this rant their D is overrated, as Arkansas will show. 

All these stats are very impressive.   :hellyeah:One more to add is AU is unique in having played 2 of Tom Fornelli's Bottom 25 Football Teams in America.  LAMonroe is his #9 worst team in the country. 

WhooHoo!  I wonder if Georgia State's available?

Seriously.  This thread is nuts.

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Screw Ole Miss and their D. They are ranked #14 and gave up 45 to Florida State (overated) and lost by 10 and gave up 48 to Bama #1 and lost by 5. Their only wins are Wofford, Georgia (overrated) and Memphis. How their ranked that high with 2 losses is beyond me. We have lost to Clemson #3 and aTm #8. We practically have the same type schedule as them and are not in the top 25 at all. They are ahead of one loss teams and no loss teams. Whatever. When they get killed by fat Bert this weekend it will show who they really are. A team based off last years rankings. Just like us, based off last year. But back to the real point of this rant their D is overrated, as Arkansas will show. 

Ole Miss really is a good team and will spank big Bert and his hogs. I'd be very surprised to the contrary.

Just saw we were 8th in the country and 1st in the SEC in fewest penalties as well

Archived