New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Guy who coach and recruit for the team they love is on a whole different level. It's not just a job, it's something a little more special imo.

Dell McGee seems to fit this profile more than etheridge would at this point. Auburn is not a on the job training kind of job. we need proven guys.

5 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I'm not as keen on hiring a RB coach to coach DB's does he have DB coaching experience? And is he not a good enough DB coach that he has to coach RB? Just worried about a guy that coaches RB. 

I am more looking at the fact that he is a awesome recruiter.

Weve done the awesome recruiter thing in the past. CDC, Trooper, etc... Need a teacher first. I want a guy who makes good players great and recruiting will be fine when ur sending guys to the league.

39 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Weve done the awesome recruiter thing in the past. CDC, Trooper, etc... Need a teacher first. I want a guy who makes good players great and recruiting will be fine when ur sending guys to the league.

Our secondary is what needs a talent upgrade more than anything. Its the only position group in the stars era we have never got a 5 star in. I agree with what your saying but I just value recruiting more than a teacher. Thats the name of the game in college football.

58 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Our secondary is what needs a talent upgrade more than anything. Its the only position group in the stars era we have never got a 5 star in. I agree with what your saying but I just value recruiting more than a teacher. Thats the name of the game in college football.

If you have a good teacher, the results will get them to the league. If you consistently have DBs making the league, then high ranked recruits will want to come. JMO 

Like Kevin Steele said,  the top was kept on the coverage because of the teaching.  It sure was nice to not get torched on deep balls consistently or much at all. I think we get an NFL guy myself that has had college recruiting experience. 

2 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I'm not as keen on hiring a RB coach to coach DB's does he have DB coaching experience? And is he not a good enough DB coach that he has to coach RB? Just worried about a guy that coaches RB. 

Dell McGee played DB; therefore at minimum he has as much qualification as Etheridge.

2 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

He coached DB before taking the UGA RB job. He took that job for more money and a more prestigous school. UGA did not have a DB job opening at that time.

I think that whoever Gus has picked is not someone who has been mentioned. I think we will like who he choses in that CKS has done his homework and has someone that can come in and pick up where McGriff left off. I wonder if Gus has talked with McGriff and has made him a fantastic offer that will keep him at Auburn. Ole Miss? Come on crime dog and remain at a school that competes for conference and national championship.

Got a name to watch... Kelvin Sigler, DB coach at South Alabama. Very very good up and coming coach.... USA had a top 10 pass D. Great ties to the state as High school coach...

He coached DB's at northern Illinois from 2012-2015 & spent this past season at South Alabama. Also spent time as GA at Alabama under Saben.

Sigler, 39, is a Mobile native and Shaw High school graduate. He played safety at Alabama from 1995-98 before going into coaching.

Sigler coached in high school from 2002-11, including a four-year stint as head coach at Blount High School. The Leopards went 27-18 and reached the playoffs all four years during his tenure.

4 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Got a name to watch... Kelvin Sigler, DB coach at South Alabama. Very very good up and coming coach.... USA had a top 10 pass D. Great ties to the state as High school coach...

He coached DB's at northern Illinois from 2012-2015 & spent this past season at South Alabama. Also spent time as GA at Alabama under Saben.

Sigler, 39, is a Mobile native and Shaw High school graduate. He played safety at Alabama from 1995-98 before going into coaching.

Sigler coached in high school from 2002-11, including a four-year stint as head coach at Blount High School. The Leopards went 27-18 and reached the playoffs all four years during his tenure.

I wonder how well he would recruit as he could be a key to mobile recruiting.    

I like the idea of having Kelvin Sigler on our staff because he's a Mobile native and he knows the high school coaches in and around Mobile and he knows how to recruit the best players for us.

10 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I like the idea of having Kelvin Sigler on our staff because he's a Mobile native and he knows the high school coaches in and around Mobile and he knows how to recruit the best players for us.

So does Al Pogue (born in Mobile also) and he took Troy's pass D from the 100s before he got there to top 30 in some important catagories the past 2 years.

6 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

No turds for me! I would rather have Pogue or McGee.

CKS has my vote of confidence in whoever he picks. He earned it. I trust him to make a good decision. Anxious to see who it is. Some good names tossed around on here. I just dont want an on the job training guy, but as long as there's results on the field i dont care who it is. Hopefully we will know very soon.

I'd be good with another NFL type guy (similar to McGriff) because I think it's important to have that angle when recruiting and as a different view of things in general. I wouldn't want too many of those guys on staff but I thought Gus/Steele were on the money when they decided to bring McGriff on board originally. Only if there was a good fit available of course. 

9 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

CKS has my vote of confidence in whoever he picks. He earned it. I trust him to make a good decision. Anxious to see who it is. Some good names tossed around on here. I just dont want an on the job training guy, but as long as there's results on the field i dont care who it is. Hopefully we will know very soon.

Steele did a good job of maintaining the foundation that Muschamp and Mushamp's D Staff laid in 2015.  Lets see what happens in 2017. Our D faltered against uga when it counted and against spuat when the chips were down.

wde

Archived