New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

al.com

What is Gus Malzahn looking for in Auburn's next defensive backs coach?

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Gus Malzahn is not in a hurry to hire Auburn's next defensive backs coach.

In searching for Wesley McGriff's replacement, Malzahn is discussing potential candidates with defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, in a process that could go through the AFCA convention from Jan. 8-11.

"We're looking for the right person, the right fit for us that will fit with our staff," Malzahn said. "We've got great chemistry with our staff so I think that's important. Looking for really just a good person that'll be a great example for our players. Looking for a guy that will be a great teacher, that really can complement coach Steele and everything that goes with it, and also looking for a great recruiter.

"We'll put our heads together and we'll try to get that down. We're not in like, a big hurry. We want to make sure we take care of our bowl prep, make sure that's before we leave (for New Orleans) and then we'll see how it goes."

McGriff, who was hired as defensive coordinator at Ole Miss last week, is remaining with Auburn through the Sugar Bowl.

Auburn defenders appreciate Wesley McGriff staying through Sugar Bowl

Auburn defenders appreciate Wesley McGriff staying through Sugar Bowl

Wesley McGriff's decision to remain with Auburn through the Sugar Bowl is appreciated by the Tigers defenders, particularly in the secondary.

Malzahn is searching for the fifth defensive backs coach in four seasons at Auburn, following Melvin Smith and Charlie Harbison in 2013-14, Travaris Robinson in 2015 and McGriff this season.

"With this defense especially, we've been used to change and different situations like that," defensive tackle Dontavius Russell said. "Change is inevitable; but how you take it is how you can develop and move forward. We're trying to take it with a good attitude, and that's what we're going to do moving forward."

Fifth-year seniors Josh Holsey and T.J. Davis were even around in 2012 when Willie Martinez was coaching the position. Change at their position coach and defensive coordinator was the norm throughout their careers.

"You learn something new, you learn something from the guy that comes in that the last guy didn't teach you," Holsey said. "You might learn one or two things that (the other) person doesn't know. It's hard sometimes because you got to learn new techniques but I mean it's the sport we play.

"You got to embrace change; things happen, you got to be ready to embrace it and change and get ready to roll when whoever comes in, you got to pick up on whatever they like. You got to do what they like. If they want things one that certain way, that's just how it goes. I'm used to it. It was no big deal for me."

While Steele's scheme will remain, Malzahn said making a hire that will create continuity at a position where there's been constant turnover is a consideration.

"Obviously you'd like some continuity as far as being a little more stable," Malzahn said. "But with Kevin Steele, the stability we got running our defense, I think everybody saw he's one of the best in the country. What he did with our players and with our defense was really outstanding.

"So the core is definitely there, we're just looking for the right fit. Somebody that can do a good job on the back end so that's what we're looking for."

Holsey is confident the defensive backs, which return starters Carlton Davis, Javaris Davis, Tray Matthews, Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin and have Jamel Dean and Jeremiah Dinson returning from injuries, have a lot of pieces in place for the next position coach.

"That's a great group - that's a great room," Holsey said. "(They're) going to be really great once they get (Dinson and Dean) back. So whoever comes in, he's falling into a great situation."

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Gus Malzahn already has someone lined up to be the new DB coach.  Tray Matthews alluded to it in his 12/29 interview, but would not say who it was.

44 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Apparently Gus Malzahn already has someone lined up to be the new DB coach.  Tray Matthews alluded to it in his 12/29 interview, but would not say who it was.

Deion Sanders?  

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

If this is true then Gus has done one heck of a job not letting the name leak. There is no "info" on this from anyone. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If this is true then Gus has done one heck of a job not letting the name leak. There is no "info" on this from anyone. 

Lol. I just realized what your signature was. Made me chuckle a little. 

21 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

where is Rosegreen now?

He’s currently the defensive coordinator at South Broward High School in Hollywood, Fla.

2 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Awesome, what do we know about him, other than he played at AU?

That if he came to AU he and T-Will would still be the some of the strongest / toughest dudes on the team! :)

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Wish we could bring  Etheridge home too.

Now THAT intrigues me.  I would not be opposed to him.  Good player for us and loves Auburn based on his Facebook posts.  He was a grad student for Georgia Tech for a while so he would be like Kodi Burns experience-wise.  I think they guys would listen to him.  Rosegreen isn't bad either.  

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Now THAT intrigues me.  I would not be opposed to him.  Good player for us and loves Auburn based on his Facebook posts.  He was a grad student for Georgia Tech for a while so he would be like Kodi Burns experience-wise.  I think they guys would listen to him.  Rosegreen isn't bad either.  

No offense guys but nether have experience and just because you went to AU doesnt mean you should be a coordinator.  Maybe player relations . this job is high profile and quite frankly Burns is so far over his head it's unbelievable.  AU needs a big hire 

42 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

No offense guys but nether have experience and just because you went to AU doesnt mean you should be a coordinator.  Maybe player relations . this job is high profile and quite frankly Burns is so far over his head it's unbelievable.  AU needs a big hire 

It's WR coach, so far over his head??? Maybe not elite recruiter but WR sure are performing better under Burns than CDC ever did. 

19 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

It's WR coach, so far over his head??? Maybe not elite recruiter but WR sure are performing better under Burns than CDC ever did. 

Drops havent improved that much. 

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Completely disagree.   I do not remember anything close to last yr's Arky game.   That was horrible.   

I hate to tell u but I watch alot of NFL and they drop a lot of passes. That's one thing no coach can fix, improve a little maybe but that's it. I watch Cooper, Julio, Evans, and even Jordy Nelson drop passes. Jordy not so much lol. I've watched Beckem jr drop 4-5 a game and he is the best there is.

13 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Most of technology drops that I recall were from the sen I really WRs. The freshmen had a couple but the majority were older guys.

7 minutes ago, lala said:

Completely disagree.   I do not remember anything close to last yr's Arky game.   That was horrible.   

I don't agree with either one of you. Stevens, Davis, Davis all had several drops throughout the year. Needless to say this is a DB coach thread and I wont comment anymore on burns.  Being an AU man doesn't make you qualified to coach for AU. I hope AU hires the best available candidate 

3 minutes ago, AU04ever said:

Most of technology drops that I recall were from the sen I really WRs. The freshmen had a couple but the majority were older guys.

Drops will be a problem until we throw the ball more and receivers get more reps. And yes, I know we throw in practice. But receivers are a skill position and those guys need game reps, a lot of reps on a consistent basis. 

NO JUST NO on Etheridge. It is Gus job to hire the best person available for the position not try to get as many former Auburn players on staff. If it happens that who is the best candidate is a former Auburn player then by all means come on down! Etheridge is certainly not. It would be so JABA and a worse hire than Kodi. If you cannot recruit at a high level we should not be thinking about them.

Archived