Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

23 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

LMAO...just bring back NallsMinger...smh.

When I first saw Lashlee was gone, I was ecstatic and thought I'm gonna eat some crow because I never thought Gus would cut his son loose.

Now, that I see all this speculation and realize we don't have a clue who his replacement is, I figure Lashlee probably made a career decision and was tired of being scapegoated and figured he should get while the gett'in is good.  Kudo's to him.

Now, since I see the morons in the Auburn AD dept. have nixed all the Briles, I've relegated myself to the stark reality that we'll get someone worse than Lashlee to replace him.  Only at Auburn with JJ folks.  Smile and wait for year AFTER next.  Unfreakin'believable.

Lmao indeed. You claim only at Auburn will we not hire one of the Briles while they are currently under investigation. Well, KB took a pretty terrible job and as far as I know wasn't offered by anyone else and Art hasn't been offered anything by anyone. So in reality it seems only at FAU is there ANYONE willing to hire either of them. But, that doesn't fit the agenda so let's lie about it. Agreed. Unfreakin'believable. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problem with the Oregon offense with Chip or Mark is that it has not produced against the conference that matters, the SEC, when it had the opportunities.  Ted roof shut them down and LSU had little problem as well after that.  Now maybe a collaboration with GUS and MH offense could be special.  MH did pass the ball quite a bit with success.  

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

when you have a 8-5 season a 7-6 season and another 8-5 season back to back to back its par for the course. Not a lot of happy times right now for football.

^^^agreed. 16 losses in just 3 years. Let that sink in. Maybe this is the time Gus gets it right and becomes a solid head coach. I had already made the stand that unless he made a major offensive change that I wouldn't support him being the coach this coming season.  It seems as though he's making a change though (surprisingly) and I'm willing to give him a chance (1 more year) to prove he is truly a good HC. If this move doesn't show immediate signs of competency, then we should be discussing who the HC hire is gonna be after this coming season. Just have to be patient now and hope for the best. 

So is there anything new so I don't have to go back and read 6 pages of arguing of why so and so left there and random names thrown out there

1 hour ago, Jt86w1 said:

Why are people so high on helfrick??? He is the lashlee of oregon... maybe he's a good coach but he has no idea about the sec or the defense atleast lindsey understands the state and knows what's expected.

In what way was he the Rhett Lashlee of Oregon? I mean he won his division twice and the Pac 12 as a HC. His offense was never the problem, it was the defensive side of the ball that ultimately got him canned, which won't be his concern at AU. Secondly, what has Lindsey ever been a part of or done, besides have 1 year at Arizona State and worked as an analyst for Gus?

Just now, JMassie11 said:

So is there anything new so I don't have to go back and read 6 pages of arguing of why so and so left there and random names thrown out there

Nope, other than ppl think Helfrich has never called plays befor. But yet everyone is sure Spavital has lol. When it could have been Sumlin and Dykes his last 2 jobs.

2 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Nope, other than ppl think Helfrich has never called plays befor. But yet everyone is sure Spavital has lol. When it could have been Sumlin and Dykes his last 2 jobs.

Didn't think so.....just from the names thrown out I think Chip is the best fit though I question how good of a recruiter he is bc I honestly don't know. He definitely has ties to the state and Ga which is always a plus

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

In what way was he the Rhett Lashlee of Oregon? His offense was never the problem, it was the defensive side of the ball that ultimately got him canned. Secondly, what has Lindsey ever been a part of or done, besides have 1 year at Arizona State and worked as an analyst for Gus?

Here u go

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2016/07/18/asus-todd-graham-chip-lindseys-strength-qb-development/87266652/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2016/01/29/asu-offensive-coordinator-chip-lindsey-get-pay-increase/79528348/

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

All I got from this was he was very successful at the Highschool and lower collegiate level. Also, ASU gave him a pay raised because they didn't want him to leave for Southern Miss. This pales in comparison to his counterparts. 

Just now, DAG said:

All I got from this was he was very successful at the Highschool and lower collegiate level. Also, ASU gave him a pay raised because they didn't want him to leave for Southern Miss. This pales in comparison to his counterparts. 

No argument here. Just providing a little info to your question. 

5 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

No argument here. Just providing a little info to your question. 

Oh, well thank you. Also, Chip Lindsey's offense was in the bottom half of the Pac-12. I don't know what half of you see in Chip Lindsey other than he knows Gus and He is familiar with Alabama and Georgia.

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

In what way was he the Rhett Lashlee of Oregon? I mean he won his division twice and the Pac 12 as a HC. His offense was never the problem, it was the defensive side of the ball that ultimately got him canned, which won't be his concern at AU. Secondly, what has Lindsey ever been a part of or done, besides have 1 year at Arizona State and worked as an analyst for Gus?

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Look up lindsey and you'll see he had one of the best offenses at Southern miss 2 years in a row and averaged 33 a game at asu in his first year. The offense declined year after year once chip and his players left. 

Just throwing a couple of names out:

thoughts on Sterlin Gilbert? I know he just took a job with Strong as USF, but has a great track record at developing QB's and has had very successful offenses.

Also, Josh Heupal? He turned Mizzu into one of the top offenses in the country and also has a track record of developing QB's.

Anyone with insight on these two? I know there's all kinds of speculation going on right now, but I'm bored and looking at OC's bios. ?

All this discussion about hiring a coach because he had a good year (or not hiring him because his team was in the middle of the pack this)....sounds like inexperienced investors looking to buy a stock because it just hit a new high....with no idea how it got there, what it has done in the past or where it might be going in the future. ...the buy high and sell low premise perhaps.  What do the brokers say...."past performance is not a guarantee of future success"  

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Guys are not happy right now, this could take a bit, by not happy is putting it lightly.

Sounds like the tracks were not greased in advance or someone renegged on a decision. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

All this discussion about hiring a coach because he had a good year (or not hiring him because his team was in the middle of the pack this)....sounds like inexperienced investors looking to buy a stock because it just hit a new high....with no idea how it got there, what it has done in the past or where it might be going in the future. ...the buy high and sell low premise perhaps.  What do the brokers say...."past performance is not a guarantee of future success"  

Did somebody pass the series 7?

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

Oh, well thank you. Also, Chip Lindsey's offense was in the bottom half of the Pac-12. I don't know what half of you see in Chip Lindsey other than he knows Gus and He is familiar with Alabama and Georgia.

You are correct. Lindsey's offense finished 81st for 2016. Not the kind of stat we need to hire a new OC. If you look at Jake Spavital's job at Cal for 2016, his offense finished 10th overall with total offense. This is something that needs to be taken into account. 

21 minutes ago, Jt86w1 said:

Look up lindsey and you'll see he had one of the best offenses at Southern miss 2 years in a row and averaged 33 a game at asu in his first year. The offense declined year after year once chip and his players left. 

Southern Miss does not matter.  33 PPG puts them at 6th total in the pac-12.  They averaged 390 yards per game which put them 9th in the Pac 12.

MH offense at Total offense at Oregon: 2013 - 565 yd/g, 2014 - 547 yd/g, 2015 - 538 yd/g, 2016 - 491 yards per game. 

IN 2011, Oregon offense averaged 522 yards per game and 537 yards per game in 2012 with CK.

PPG with CK: 2011 - 46.1 / 2012 - 49.6

ppg with MH: 45.5 (13), 45.4 (14) , 43.0 (15), and 35.4 (16)

So, even in his one horrible year, it was better than Lindsey. Secondly, he was the OC at Oregon. He had a hand with those players that they recruited. It is not like he came from a different school and just utilized someone else's previous recruits. I am not saying he is the right guy for the job but has some substance to back up what you are saying.

And BTW, Arizona State offense was better in PPG and YPG the year before.

This position being filled may very well be similar to Dave Aranda type contract with LSU last year with how Miles was sitting.  If wow is what we are getting

4 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. I don't either. The only person i could see Gus doing that with is Art but it's not going to be Art. However, i do think there may be some candidates on that list that he'd have more "trust" in to tinker with his offense and would've feel the need for much collaboration. This is why i want no parts of Kodi and Hand being an option. 

Gus got it right with Steele for DC...I hope he gets it right for the OC. Please get it right Gus!

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

^^^agreed. 16 losses in just 3 years. Let that sink in. Maybe this is the time Gus gets it right and becomes a solid head coach. I had already made the stand that unless he made a major offensive change that I wouldn't support him being the coach this coming season.  It seems as though he's making a change though (surprisingly) and I'm willing to give him a chance (1 more year) to prove he is truly a good HC. If this move doesn't show immediate signs of competency, then we should be discussing who the HC hire is gonna be after this coming season. Just have to be patient now and hope for the best. 

I agree with with this, he is building the program in a way that Auburn people like, but we need results with this move.

Archived