Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

I check in with this thread a couple times per day for the latest news and names...needless to say I get a chuckle at all the circular talk about nothing of substance. Anywho, here's my take: the process is dragging out a bit much for my taste, a la 2012 when Scott Loeffler ended up drawing the longest of the short straws. Gus was brought in to be a Spurrier-like offensive minded HC whom AU was to trust implicitly with the offense for the duration of his tenure. He was an offensive "genius" that would tailor his offense to whatever personnel he had and would make it work and work well. Since the Jeremy Johnson death-bust and head-scratching game planning last year and this year, Gus has gone from an offensive genius to an offensive poopoohead. He doesn't seem to be trustworthy to develop players to their potential or a game plan for top-tier matchups. We have top ten recruiting classes annually (good) but have such inconsistent results with this "top talent" (not good). If he can't be trusted to do and be what he was brought in to do and be (i.e., a HC who is fundamentally his own OC), then what real value do we have in Gus Malzahn as HC?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

I check in with this thread a couple times per day for the latest news and names...needless to say I get a chuckle at all the circular talk about nothing of substance. Anywho, here's my take: the process is dragging out a bit much for my taste, a la 2012 when Scott Loeffler ended up drawing the longest of the short straws. Gus was brought in to be a Spurrier-like offensive minded HC whom AU was to trust implicitly with the offense for the duration of his tenure. He was an offensive "genius" that would tailor his offense to whatever personnel he had and would make it work and work well. Since the Jeremy Johnson death-bust and head-scratching game planning last year and this year, Gus has gone from an offensive genius to an offensive poopoohead. He doesn't seem to be trustworthy to develop players to their potential or a game plan for top-tier matchups. We have top ten recruiting classes annually (good) but have such inconsistent results with this "top talent" (not good). If he can't be trusted to do and be what he was brought in to do and be, then what real value do we have in Gus Malzahn as HC?

Lol why do you have that pic though?  But yes this is the million dollar question

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I thought Lindsey was ruled out at some point? I have no idea where I got that impression so I am probably wrong. 

I don't know if he was ever officially ruled out, but there were claims that we were looking for serious experience. That indirectly rules him out. Also, claims that the objectivity would be someone not from Malzahn coaching tree.

Just now, DAG said:

I don't know if he was ever officially ruled out, but there were claims that we were looking for serious experience. That indirectly rules him out. Also, claims that the objectivity would be someone not from Malzahn coaching tree.

Ah yes okay. That's what I was referring to. Thanks for the clarity. 

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I thought Lindsey was ruled out at some point? I have no idea where I got that impression so I am probably wrong. 

CL was not Gus's 1st choice.

It looks like now it may be coaches who are still very experienced in a passing offense, but NOT a QB developer, and dealt more with WRs maybe. Now, it means they would have to rearrange the coaching staff to get a QB coach in here too.

Is that a possible scenario that was on their list, now that Yurcich is out?

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

It looks like now it may be coaches who are still very experienced in a passing offense, but NOT a QB developer, and dealt more with WRs maybe. Now, it means they would have to rearrange the coaching staff to get a QB coach in here too.

There's always possibility of more O movement on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Jeff Scott would fit that scenario.

I'd take a dynamic 1 and done hire at this point*

*not "this point" as in because the amount of time that has elapsed but because the quality of options don't move the needle much

Quite frankly, if you just a competent O coordinator, you should be able to get a good amount of production from the talent we have on that side of the ball. It would be like LSU not being able to field a quality defense, night in and night out. It is mind boggling.

I don't know what we're going to get....But I do know we needed an OC who was a recognizable name and could recruit, I don't care what anybody else says or tries to make it not that bad or whatever....

34 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Oklahoma State OC Mike Yurcich let Triple Play Sports Radio and know he took his name out on the Auburn OC job.

Well that is disappointing but not shocking. Let's be real here - it is a gamble to work for Gus this year. Even though I want it done today, and it is frustrating to AU fans, Gus may as well take his time with this hire. The new OC will not really impact recruiting this year and he needs to get it right. Much like the Stidham recruitment - this hire is the most important one he has made at AU (to this point). We got lucky with Stidham. Maybe by getting a rejection or two, we will get lucky with the final choice. 

10 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I check in with this thread a couple times per day for the latest news and names...needless to say I get a chuckle at all the circular talk about nothing of substance. Anywho, here's my take: the process is dragging out a bit much for my taste, a la 2012 when Scott Loeffler ended up drawing the longest of the short straws. Gus was brought in to be a Spurrier-like offensive minded HC whom AU was to trust implicitly with the offense for the duration of his tenure. He was an offensive "genius" that would tailor his offense to whatever personnel he had and would make it work and work well. Since the Jeremy Johnson death-bust and head-scratching game planning last year and this year, Gus has gone from an offensive genius to an offensive poopoohead. He doesn't seem to be trustworthy to develop players to their potential or a game plan for top-tier matchups. We have top ten recruiting classes annually (good) but have such inconsistent results with this "top talent" (not good). If he can't be trusted to do and be what he was brought in to do and be (i.e., a HC who is fundamentally his own OC), then what real value do we have in Gus Malzahn as HC?

Gawd, I'm sorry, and

No offense intended, but 

I just got a right entertaining mental image of discussions here

concerning our HC "offensive poopoohead" for the duration

of his tenure here.

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If that is the case he would have to fire Kodi, or give him an off the field assignment. 

I'm starting to picture Gus moping around the offices, with a hang-dawg expression, saying "nobody LIKES me......."

Just now, gr82b4au said:

If that is the case he would have to fire Kodi, or give him an off the field assignment. 

As has been mentioned...Rhett hasn't hired a receivers coach, yet...

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm starting to picture Gus moping around the offices, with a hang-dawg expression, saying "nobody LIKES me......."

He's too oblivious to know or care sometimes.

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well that is disappointing but not shocking. Let's be real here - it is a gamble to work for Gus this year. Even though I want it done today, and it is frustrating to AU fans, Gus may as well take his time with this hire. The new OC will not really impact recruiting this year and he needs to get it right. Much like the Stidham recruitment - this hire is the most important one he has made at AU (to this point). We got lucky with Stidham. Maybe by getting a rejection or two, we will get lucky with the final choice. 

I like this failing up idea

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Take your time Gus. I mean recruits don't need to be able to communicate with their potential OC. 

All of our Offensive recruits are firm to my knowledge 

Archived