Chip admits to calling all plays

WFE12

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Go back and re-read what I said. I said for more than a wheel route.  KM was in the game for the wheel route, but not for hand-offs.  My reference was in taking hand-offs, and the coaches also said this was their reasoning.  So to my actual post, yes I am serious.  By the way, that linebacker ran KM down.  

I did ...right after I posted and I stand corrected on that point...but if you think a back who is healthy shouldn't be in for fear of injury while you expose your 'star' back who is limited by injury then I double down or take KM's scholly and send him somewhere he can't get hurt. And KM OUTRUNS THAT GUY 99% OF THE TIME...NOT EVEN CLOSE...try again to cover for Gus and Chip...you can't... our biggest problem is scheming our routes and knowing how to get the ball into our plethora of playmakers hands...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It's a catch-22 with some of those things.  For instance, if we put KM in the game for more than a wheel route, and a linebacker injures him, then everyone would say "Why didn't you keep KP in the game?  He is bigger and our stud RB?"  Some people around me were saying Stidham should have been pulled when I was at the game.  Well if you pull him, then people would say "Gus I thought you learned your lesson to only play one QB?"  In cases like this, what are they supposed to do?

Love your optimism, but Gus has lost more games by his decisions than any coach should.  People saying Stidham should have been pulled, well who was he going to put in?  The walk on or the freshman that hasn't taken a snap?  Gus didn't have an option as he suspended his backup and he handcuffed himself.  Gus didn't even consider Stidham struggling because it wasn't in his plan. How could he struggle, the plan was too good?

When Gus suspended SW, he sat on his hands with regard to Willis because his plan was to red shirt Willis.  He has no forethought as to what could happen.  

One of Gus' issues is he has no idea when to go in a different direction when his plan goes awry. I have my doubts that Gus knows anything other then the plan itself, I have not witnessed an in-game adjustment yet.  His plan is what he goes into the game with, whether it is a cup cake or the #3 team in the nation.  Everything is the same, it's not his plan, it's the execution.  If we're not executing, coach them up.  We have not seen a Gus team grow during the season since 2013 and I believe that was due to extraordinary athletes more then Gus.  JMO, but man am I frustrated.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Love your optimism, but Gus has lost more games by his decisions than any coach should.  People saying Stidham should have been pulled, well who was he going to put in?  The walk on or the freshman that hasn't taken a snap?  Gus didn't have an option as he suspended his backup and he handcuffed himself.  Gus didn't even consider Stidham struggling because it wasn't in his plan. How could he struggle, the plan was too good?

When Gus suspended SW, he sat on his hands with regard to Willis because his plan was to red shirt Willis.  He has no forethought as to what could happen.  

One of Gus' issues is he has no idea when to go in a different direction when his plan goes awry. I have my doubts that Gus knows anything other then the plan itself, I have not witnessed an in-game adjustment yet.  His plan is what he goes into the game with, whether it is a cup cake or the #3 team in the nation.  Everything is the same, it's not his plan, it's the execution.  If we're not executing, coach them up.  We have not seen a Gus team grow during the season since 2013 and I believe that was due to extraordinary athletes more then Gus.  JMO, but man am I frustrated.

Gus won't be around to play Willis.  If he's not gone after this season hopefully during this season then the incompetence spreads to the PTB.  

The irony of Gus wiggling out of OC jobs when the HC wasn't allowing him to coach his offense the way he wanted to....

Just now, tiger88 said:

If he says anything other than what he says, it causes a poop storm. 

Although nobody is buying it. Even national media guys are calling BS on it

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It's a catch-22 with some of those things.  For instance, if we put KM in the game for more than a wheel route, and a linebacker injures him, then everyone would say "Why didn't you keep KP in the game?  He is bigger and our stud RB?"  Some people around me were saying Stidham should have been pulled when I was at the game.  Well if you pull him, then people would say "Gus I thought you learned your lesson to only play one QB?"  In cases like this, what are they supposed to do?

This begs the question:

If KM can't stand the hits, why is he wearing an AU uniform in the first place?  We play LSU, UGA, & Bama annually.  If you're concerned about his size, that's three games immediately that he shouldn't play in.

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Although nobody is buying it. Even national media guys are calling BS on it

Coaches can rationalize anything with coach speak. 

I rewatched the 2nd half and they didn't show our O coaches much, but on the horrific 4th and 3 fiasco of a playcall, I would bet the farm Gus called that. He was yakking into the mike while hiding his mouth with the playcatd. CL was pacing the sideline, and he looked pissed, barely watching the field as the play was setting up. 

Gus talked a little between plays everytime they showed him, but a couple of times he was highy active, and hiding his mouth. I don't see how another coach could have gotten a play call in with gus yakking the entire time. 

Micromanaging.....

do you see highly successful coaches doing that?  You would think if he was such a genius, he would impart his Offensive wisdom upon his hand-picked OC and let him go.  But then again look out record of QB development....

Hate to point this out, but who's coaching tree did Gus come from?  

12 hours ago, keesler said:

Ummm, Lindsey ain't the only one in over his head.  We have an oline that didn't execute, we have an RB that is only successful running up the gut,  we have WRs that can't work their way open, we have a QB that looks like he doesn't belong in SEC play.  So Gus, Kodi, Chip, Herb were all treading water last night.

im sure everyone will redeem themselves against the cupcakes and all will be well.

Oh I agree, game two into the season, this looks like a horrible hire, and who hired him? Yes, it was Gus. It's all on Gus!

I just choose to believe they're not both a couple of completely dishonest people, and it was Lindsay calling the plays, and he obviously doesn't know what he's doing. 

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Micromanaging.....

do you see highly successful coaches doing that?  You would think if he was such a genius, he would impart his Offensive wisdom upon his hand-picked OC and let him go.  But then again look out record of QB development....

Hate to point this out, but who's coaching tree did Gus come from?  

What I don't understand is, this is a guy that made people like Trooper Taylor, look like a decent coach? Heck, he made Gene Chiz look like an awesome coach for a couple of seasons. What has happened?

Gus sent Nick Sabin crying to the NCAA and the SEC for rules changes because he couldn't handle the offense. Bobby Bowden (and many others) called Gus a genius.

Tubbs said he wanted his son Tucker playing for Gus, so he could learn how to coach like him.

What has happened?

Neither one of them is lying, Gus told Chip what play to run and Chip called the play in to the team.

3 hours ago, War Knight said:

All I know is the next time I see a sugar huddle I'm either turning my TV off for the following 45 seconds, or a remote is going to go flying through the television set.

I would advise option 1 

It seems cheaper 

Chip's being the good soldier and protecting Gus. The question had to be asked but it's not like he was going to spill his guts and throw the boss under the bus.
No assistant coach wants the reputation of being anything other than loyal to the HC. 

The same people saying this is true and believing Chip, were the same people believing that Pettway, White, and Kyle Davis weren't gonna be suspended last week just because Gus said it. 

Sure looked like he had a "play sheet" in his hands to me.  If he's not calling the plays then why does he have it in his hands and continuously be seen speaking in to the headset during the time a play would be being discussed and called with the guys upstairs?  Chip may have been calling the plays but Gus was in his ear that's for sure.  Gus is like a little kid with the "play sheet" in his hands.  He can't NOT meddle and call plays.  Saturday night I gave up on adding the coke.20170909_223847.jpg

I don't know if anyone has said it in this thread or not but I'll say it again regardless - give Al Borges control of the offense and QBs. I don't care if he's just an "analyst". He'll make Stidham look like the QB he should.

8 minutes ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

Sure looked like he had a "play sheet" in his hands to me.  If he's not calling the plays then why does he have it in his hands and continuously be seen speaking in to the headset during the time a play would be being discussed and called with the guys upstairs?  Chip may have been calling the plays but Gus was in his ear that's for sure.  Gus is like a little kid with the "play sheet" in his hands.  He can't NOT meddle and call plays.  Saturday night I gave up on adding the coke.20170909_223847.jpg

This photo. This is everything. This is exactly what being an Auburn football fan is in 2017.

3 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I don't know if anyone has said it in this thread or not but I'll say it again regardless - give Al Borges control of the offense and QBs. I don't care if he's just an "analyst". He'll make Stidham look like the QB he should.

Considering JS looks more like a PP, I agree.  But AB's offense looks nothing like Malzahn's offense

3 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Considering JS looks more like a PP, I agree.  But AB's offense looks nothing like Malzahn's offense

Even better!

1 hour ago, 1913-14 said:

I did ...right after I posted and I stand corrected on that point...but if you think a back who is healthy shouldn't be in for fear of injury while you expose your 'star' back who is limited by injury then I double down or take KM's scholly and send him somewhere he can't get hurt. And KM OUTRUNS THAT GUY 99% OF THE TIME...NOT EVEN CLOSE...try again to cover for Gus and Chip...you can't... our biggest problem is scheming our routes and knowing how to get the ball into our plethora of playmakers hands...

I do no this disagree with what you are saying one bit.  Actually if you can find my comments from after the first game, I was really applauding KM's size and ability to break tackles now.  I think we should have played him.  My original post was just referring to the catch-22 the coaches are in with either decision a criticized one by the fans.  That's all I was trying to say. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I see what you are saying.  My only rebuttal to your post is that the team is growing, but just slower than the fans want.  For example, I would say our defense is better than 2013.  I would say our coaching staff is better than 2013.  And I would would say our depth is better than 2013.  Now it's just the offense, and I think that will come this season sooner than later.  I think the growing pains are starting to come to an end and we will see a more consistent team.  Just my opinion of course.  

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

This begs the question:

If KM can't stand the hits, why is he wearing an AU uniform in the first place?  We play LSU, UGA, & Bama annually.  If you're concerned about his size, that's three games immediately that he shouldn't play in.

If you read my other response to 1913-14 it should answer your question.  I do think KM can handle it.  I like the guy a lot and he has shown he can break tackles this year.  I was just illustrating the catch-22 where any decision will be criticized.  

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

This begs the question:

Bingo. If he feels that way, why is his recruiting even smaller RBs this year? The man has no clue. 

Archived