next Head Coach

Eagle-1

This idea of just '"fire Gus"  has lots of ramifications and most of them are negative. 

One thing some folks seem to be ignoring is that if you bring in a new HC and give him full authority, etc. etc.  you are not going to be able to tell him has to keep Steele or anyone else.   Any top HC if one were to express interest, will want the ability to hire whomever he wants.   So....it will be a matter of hiring a new coach who has the juice to hire more than a half dozen top notch coordinators and assistants.  

It's not just a new HC.....we will likely  be turning the coaching staff upside down which means that there will be many opportunities thereafter for one coach or another not to work out....thus making it necessary to spend some time (years ?) building cohesion, replacing coaches and trying to rebuild the HS contacts that our current staff has cultivated.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUJedi said:

I love Leach and I believe he could make his air raid offense work in the SEC too. I just think he has the intangibles of a. very good coach. But not gonna happen 

Only thing about him is when he goes on his rants he never seems to place blame on himself... 

1 minute ago, Jaxr29 said:

What are your opinions on Scott Frost? I have a good feeling about him and would want to get on him ASAP 

The thing with Scott Frost, unfortunately, is that Nebraska is going to go after him hard. And he was QB for them.

Just now, AUwent said:

The thing with Scott Frost, unfortunately, is that Nebraska is going to go after him hard. And he was QB for them.

Yeah I realize that that’s why I want us to go after him hard I have this suspicion that he will be an elite coach 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

This idea of just '"fire Gus"  has lots of ramifications and most of them are negative. 

One thing some folks seem to be ignoring is that if you bring in a new HC and give him full authority, etc. etc.  you are not going to be able to tell him has to keep Steele or anyone else.   Any top HC if one were to express interest, will want the ability to hire whomever he wants.   So....it will be a matter of hiring a new coach who has the juice to hire more than a half dozen top notch coordinators and assistants.  

It's not just a new HC.....we will likely  be turning the coaching staff upside down which means that there will be many opportunities thereafter for one coach or another not to work out....thus making it necessary to spend some time (years ?) building cohesion, replacing coaches and trying to rebuild the HS contacts that our current staff has cultivated.

Heath Evans. I know it's a semi-joke but I'm kind of on board. Would keep Kevin Steele, would be a fantastic motivator (kinda like PJ Fleck) and would be a GREAT recruiter. Plus, he runs businesses. Has managerial experience. I'm telling ya he wouldn't be and X's and O's guy, but I believe he could get it done. I think he knows what it takes 

20 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Gus wants us to fail 

When I first read this I thought it said 'God wants us to fail'. Which I've been seriously wondering about here lately lol 

11 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Top coaches obtainable Muschamp, Strong, Fleck, Babers, the guy at Iowa St, Miles smh, Leach he’s where he needs to be, i like em though, just not coaching for us

I wouldn't mind Campbell, if ISU keeps playing well.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So just be complesant like we were today and everything should work out . Makes sense

Just now, AUwent said:

I wouldn't mind Campbell, if ISU keeps playing well. Just saying.

Sorry for not putting his name in there. I know him, just didn’t feel like taking five seconds to google his name 

If you want to go the NFL route, Kansas City Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub could be someone to go after. Jon Gruden talked him up this past Monday Night.

Good article on Special Teams Coordinators and NFL coaches who cut their teeth serving.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-head-coaching-openings-special-teams-dick-vermeil-john-harbaugh-bill-cowher-mike-ditka-121615

it absolutely will not matter....we are mid level sec and that's who we are....that's who the ptb want us to be....that's what we've pretty much always been (w/a few notable exceptions - both ways unfortunately) and that's what we will continue to be....

unless.....we get a coach who takes the job w/a total hands off policy or he walks (just like satan)....and our ptb will never allow that.....we are who we are

up the middle!!

1 minute ago, AUJedi said:

I love Leach and I believe he could make his air raid offense work in the SEC too. I just think he has the intangibles of a. very good coach. But not gonna happen 

Winning at programs where you should be able to, does not get my attention.  Winning at places where you should not, and no one ever really has, does.  Texas Tech and Wazzou are two such places.

I have little doubt that Leach could do great things if he had the talent that we have on his roster.  What I wonder is, could he sustain it?  He has no connections in the southeast, and has never recruited at this level.  He has had to settle for working with recruits that the programs at this level were not very interested in.

Somebody with NFL connections. I think we need to sell the idea that we produce NFL caliber talent. You come here, we are going to send you to the pros.

But that's just me.

13 minutes ago, Jaxr29 said:

What are your opinions on Scott Frost? I have a good feeling about him and would want to get on him ASAP 

Would be a good possibly great hire. 

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Somebody with NFL connections. I think we need to sell the idea that we produce NFL caliber talent. You come here, we are going to send you to the pros.

But that's just me.

Selling to recruits hasn’t been our problem.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No one should be saying that to any coaching candidate or hire.  That is an immediate red flag that indicates what the job will be like.  That said, Steele's unit has made a compelling case for retaining it.  Unless an incoming head coach has a defensive coordinator and assistants that he prefers already available, why mix up a unit that you do not have to?  A new head coach already has enough work to do in recruiting and hiring an offensive staff, why create more work for yourself?  I suspect any candidates arrive at the interview (or on the job) expecting to at least strongly consider retaining the defensive staff, unless they have some personal issue with them.

Archived