Ulm injuries

WinningTradition

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

T Williams is an exacerbation of his shoulder injury. It’s gonna be iffy to get him back this week IMO.

we will get the “banged up” from Dinson but it does look like a concussion vs stinger situation. We will see how he progresses this week.

looks like all the other injuries were rather minor. Stidham had me worried there for a minute i don’t know about you guys.

Yea...I would rather he lob one to the stands instead of running in traffic and getting an injury.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AidiAU said:

As always, thanks for your input.

And I totally don’t recall being scared by Stidham. Was he slow to get up or something? 

He seemed to get his ankle rolled on a scramble and seemed to be treating it a little gingerly afterward. But, hopefully it was nothing more than a short-lived aggravation.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

You are correct, but at this stage of the season I am disappointed we don't have a package for Malik yet. It was obvious LaMonroe was stacking the box. Malik should've been brought in for a series or two earlier in the game and he could've done exactly what he did in the 4th quarter. That 14-7 lead might've be 21 or 28 to 7. ULM would've had no answer for that speed on the perimeter. At least that's my opinion. 

I don't know how beneficial this is. I mean, we get all verklepmt when we run the wildcat because it "messes up rhythm". 

What I WOULD like to see is a set of plays with both JS and MW in the game. If you put in MW as QB they are just going to key on the zone read. My vote is hide it, confuse them, hit them from a different direction than they expect. 

2 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

That game was way to close for comfort to be subbing. The offense I had not gotten into a rythem. Had Gus subbed for Willis and it not worked out. Gus's seat would be blazing hot to lose such a game by putting in a true freshmen over the best QB in the SEC.

We as fans are not the smartest coach advisors unless it’s in hindsight. 

2 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

That game was way to close for comfort to be subbing. The offense I had not gotten into a rythem. Had Gus subbed for Willis and it not worked out. Gus's seat would be blazing hot to lose such a game by putting in a true freshmen over the best QB in the SEC.

The offense was extremely vanilla for a reason. Looked to be working on wrs blocking down field and some other things and just get out without major injuries

2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

The offense was extremely vanilla for a reason. Looked to be working on wrs blocking down field and some other things and just get out without major injuries

I do not disagree with what we were doing.  The main point it that we were not in a place to put Willis in with a 7 point lead. 

19 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

^more of a stinger than anything else, so yes, should be cleared to play this weekend.

That’s great news!  Now if Tre can be cleared, and who knows, maybe KP too. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

43 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

^more of a stinger than anything else, so yes, should be cleared to play this weekend.

IMG_2245.GIF

9 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Yep.  But hey, the Willis kid is so ready.  11 games in he's not a freshman any more, amiright?

Would love to see MW get a series early and see if the turds and their young LB 'ers could handle the zone read.

27 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Would love to see MW get a series early and see if the turds and their young LB 'ers could handle the zone read.

Yep and I prefer to spell terd , TERD, don't want to give real turds a complex.

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

Be careful what you wish for...I'd rather see Bubba check Holcombe's oil.  Pretty sure he'd roll him worse that Aeris Williams did.  However, I'm betting both Pettway and Willis are on the field against the Updykes the exact same number of plays this Saturday.

Image result for keith holcombe mississippi state

15 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

I do not disagree with what we were doing.  The main point it that we were not in a place to put Willis in with a 7 point lead. 

I agree

I'm not expecting Tre' W. to play this weekend after seeing him after the game unless his body responds well to treatments this week. It was an aggravation to the same shoulder but also went up to his neck. He was very stiff. He'll be fine but more than anything he's upset. As competitive as he is, he hates to miss any time, but being his final home game and final Iron Bowl he was really down.

If I hear anything different, I'll let y'all know, but I wouldn't expect to see him play unless absolutely necessary. :(

22 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Really?  IMHO, at this point in the season when you're a CFP team on the outside looking in, you come out and pound a cupcake like ULM - you fire on all cylinders and dominate them from the start, leave no doubt that this team deserves to be in the playoff.  Put your subs in early and often and rest your crew that just kicked the #1 teams ass a week ago. 

But I'm sure Gus' plan was to slow play ULM to the point where subbing wasn't an option even though we continued to see injuries mount throughout the game.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Really?  IMHO, at this point in the season when you're a CFP team on the outside looking in, you come out and pound a cupcake like ULM - you fire on all cylinders and dominate them from the start, leave no doubt that this team deserves to be in the playoff.  Put your subs in early and often and rest your crew that just kicked the #1 teams ass a week ago. 

But I'm sure Gus' plan was to slow play ULM to the point where subbing wasn't an option even though we continued to see injuries mount throughout the game.

You're really going to blame Gus for the slow start on Saturday? The game plan was fine... the execution was crap because both of our lines (and our fans) came out sleepwalking, I'm guessing in part because of the 11 am start, in part because they knew we could dispatch them pretty easily, and in part because of the hangover from the big win a week ago. You see that kind of stuff happen with teams all over the NCAA every year. This blame Gus for anything less than pure unadulterated domination stuff is so old.

Do you give credit to Gus for waking them up at half-time and demolishing them in all aspects of the game for 2 quarters (granted the D did that for more like 3 quarters from drive #2 until the subs came in), or was that Chip taking the play calling duties back? 

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@lionheartkc Glad to have you back my friend.  It has been a minute.

Thanks.  I figured after the Georgia win, I had 2 weeks before this place became a paradise or went straight back to the nightmare it became earlier in the season. Here's hoping we beat bama so I can stay around :)

19 hours ago, kd4au said:

Just as a change of pace it would be good. I think we did it once in the uga game too

On 11/19/2017 at 12:32 PM, Auctoritas said:

I don't know how beneficial this is. I mean, we get all verklepmt when we run the wildcat because it "messes up rhythm". 

If you put in MW as QB they are just going to key on the zone read.

Agree here, we need to be careful about swapping QBs against a defense the caliber of Bama's. It could disrupt our rhythm, you could see a fumble or similar problem. Remember, MW is usually in with the same second team O-Line he practices with.

You are also right about keying on the Zone Read. However, nobody has seemed to be able to stop it so far, but we have only run it in trash time against either weak opponents or UGA's second string. The reason NM ran the Zone Read so well against Bama in 2013 is we ran about five different versions of it, and Bama never knew which defender was being read, and which defender was being blocked. Do that wrong, and the ball is on the ground. I don't think MW has the experience to run that sophisticated of an option offense yet.

I do think we need a little more complexity in the RPO game. Our go-to RPO. It is a standard inside zone running play combined with a WR bubble screen pass option. It looks like if the defense is playing press, the read is the CB. If the CB comes off the WR to go after the run, the QB pulls the ball and throws the bubble screen. If he stays with the WR, the give is to the RB. If the CB is playing off, it looks like the read is the OLB. If he drops to cover the pass, it is a give to the RB.

I think Bama is good enough and fast enough on defense they will not give up the WR screen on that RPO, and will force the RB option every time. Because of that, I think the other well-known RPO, which is the inside WR on the inside slant with the read on the ILB is a much more dangerous play for Bama to defend. But there is also a much better chance for the defense to tip the ball on the slant RPO.

Agreed meh. That tunnel screen has been great but it has been there all year and we've used in every game since September. To our credit, we have executed it so well, it's hard to defend for anybody but I'd expect UAT to be able to limit it's gains or even jump it. I haven't gone back and watched the replays enough to see if there is an obvious enough tip off for the play based on formation or motion but it'd be nice if Auburn changed it up to break any tendencies we might be showing.

The only way the MW sub would work is if he is already on the field for a drive and we did it like KJ running the Wildcat by shifting Stidham out wide and Willis taking the snap as QB. It could work and it would be hell for Bama to defend but how can you justify Willis being out there for an entire drive? No evidence he can block as effectively as whatever receiver he's replacing. If you sub him on the field, it's an obvious play - he's either running or handing off but he's getting the ball in his hands regardless, unless its a complete fake out just to get Alabama to switch personnel to take advantage of a matchup.

Actually, that might be the genius of it. Sub MW in and watch Bama sub one or more of their play-specific guys, have him go in motion and then just run a completely different play to take advantage of that sub. Knowing Saban, they'd have to account for it and that would be the decoy.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Oh I'm not saying I agree with it but when you watch the same 5-6 plays being ran from different formations the entire 1st half it was obvious.

6 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Oh I'm not saying I agree with it but when you watch the same 5-6 plays being ran from different formations the entire 1st half it was obvious.

Those were the same 5-6 plays we ran the rest of the game, too (save the 2-minute drill at the end of the half). If our line would have manned up early on, we would have put the game away early.

Archived