Official Postgame thread

TAYLORKEETON

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

In the grand scheme of things, I was upset but it didn’t ruin my day.

Upset about Herb Hand and the OL play but don’t think he’s terrible and we will bounce back next season.

Jarrett will be our starter next season.

The sun will rise tomorrow. 

War Eagle, sorry if I rustled any feathers. 

@aujeff11 and @GwillMac6 don’t hate me you guys.

I don’t hate you. I just think our OL got whipped by scrubs that never could’ve made it to Auburn in their wildest dreams.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Hate to lose but UCF deserved that win. They were flat out better than we were today. Entire team and staff is A-1!

Let's just take a look at them: 

1. Team full of 3 star players

2. Coaching staff that did double duty for close to a month to prepare for this game and for Nebraska

3. Made adjustments

4. A QB and team that didn't buckle under pressure when they got down

This game showed how a coaching staff that can develop and COACH wins. Auburn got schooled today...PERIOD!

Those 3 star players ate our oline's lunch. Nuff said.

7 more years of bad luck.....49 million dollars for a below  head coach?....the day he signed the new contract is the day i just soured on college football....mediocrity is the norm for AU now, better get used to it......this is the most talented team that we have had since 2004 and lost 4 games?....very sad

Meanwhile, Oklahoma offense is schooling Georgia 21-7 after just over a quarter....

13 minutes ago, chimes said:

Some of y’all take a frustratingly lackadaisical attitude toward these games and our program as a whole. People spend hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars every year to attend games and support this program. Luckily I decided against shelling out around $1,000 for tickets and a hotel room for this game but if I had I’d be PISSED. Y’all are acting like this is YMCA termite football and that’s just plain disingenuous and wrong. 

I spent a lot of cash on AU football this year between tickets, flights, and hotels.  But why should I care about today's game as it pertains to the program?  Its a friggin bowl game.  Not the playoffs, but a random bowl.

As I look back on this season, this game won't be a blip on the radar.  The fact that we won the West but crapped the bed against LSU and in the SECCG are what will stick.  Ya know, the games that mattered.

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

In the grand scheme of things, I was upset but it didn’t ruin my day.

Upset about Herb Hand and the OL play but don’t think he’s terrible and we will bounce back next season.

Jarrett will be our starter next season.

The sun will rise tomorrow. 

War Eagle, sorry if I rustled any feathers. 

@aujeff11 and @GwillMac6 don’t hate me you guys.

Nobody here has said the sun wouldn’t rise tomorrow. They said the team came out flat and the coaches got out worked yet again- both are pretty much unarguable. Life will certainly go on but this game mattered more to the majority of the Auburn faithful than you and Brad are willing to let on. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t hate you. I just think our OL got whipped by scrubs that never could’ve made it to Auburn in their wildest dreams.

UCF did a really nice job with their d line schemes today and run blitzing.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Congrats to UCF.  They beat us in the field.  When we as fans aren’t excited enough to drive 1.5 hours over to a game what can you expect from the players.  Bet we barely had 10k fans.  

I agree with the first two statements. 

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

As much as everyone wants to skewer Gus, this game was lost in the trenches.  Preparedness wasn`t the issue today, execution was.  This was the same O line that beat UGA and Bama., they didn't show up.

So true. Not as complicated as some try to make it. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I spent a lot of cash on AU football this year between tickets, flights, and hotels.  But why should I care about today's game as it pertains to the program?  Its a friggin bowl game.  Not the playoffs, but a random bowl.

As I look back on this season, this game won't be a blip on the radar.  The fact that we won the West but crapped the bed against LSU and in the SECCG are what will stick.  Ya know, the games that mattered.

All games matter

Outplayed and out coached.  I just can’t understand the Oline.  That was about the most half assed effort I have seen.  And Stidham just seems to have brain farts.  Those interceptions and the fumble did more to cost us the game than anything else.  Pitiful.  

2 minutes ago, chimes said:

Nobody here has said the sun wouldn’t rise tomorrow. They said the team came out flat and the coaches got out worked yet again- both are pretty much unarguable. Life will certainly go on but this game mattered more to the majority of the Auburn faithful than you and Brad are willing to let on. 

Really?  Then why didn't AU sell out its ticket allotment?   Why did it look like there were infinitely more UCF fans than AU fans there, despite it being 90 miles from campus?

7 more years of bad luck....49 million $'s for a below average head coach?....he took the most talented team since 2004 and lost 4 games.....mediocrity is now the norm at AU, and the day that he signed the new contract is the day that i started weaning myself,emotionally, from AU football....if we win, fine, if not, i'm used to it

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

No. It's impossible to do anything when you are running for your life the entire game. The other QBs on this roster aren't close to what Stidham brings to the table. Not even close.

Looks like that's what the players and coaching staff thought.

Again, you can't do anything if you are running for your life the entire game.

They won't. Those guys only look at things through orange and blue shaders

EXACTLY

It gets old saying the same thing over and over. The OL has to block. UCF had 5 sacks in the first half of the game. Inexcusable 

We need to seriously look at making a change at OL coach. Herb and Gus are buddies, so I doubt this will happen, but if Gus wants to be successful at Auburn going forward, a change needs to be made.

On the flip side... as soon as we hire a new AD, the clock starts in Gus. The recent extension won't matter.  No new AD is going to accept what we have been putting on the field. Their job will depend on it. The countdown starts the day we hire a new AD. There is 0 chance we lose 4 or 5 every year and Gus is here for 7 more years. Regardless what his contract says.

2 of those sacks came JS slipping. Listen, JS is not the only QB who is going to get pressure on him. There have been a couple of times now that Jake and Baker both avoiding getting sacked, kept their eyes downfield and completed the pass. JS does not do that. He freaks out at the hint of pressure and runs around, sometimes right into the sack. Yes, the O-Line needs work, but JS needs a lot of work in the pocket. Those guys slide great in the pocket. They don't run around like a chicken with their head cut off at the sense of pressure.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Really?  Then why didn't AU sell out its ticket allotment?   Why did it look like there were infinitely more UCF fans than AU fans there, despite it being 90 miles from campus?

Like it or not, many Auburn folks refuse to spend to watch mediocrity.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

So because you didn’t spend money attending this game it’s not a big deal? Thousands of Auburn people did spend big money and a lot of time traveling to this game to cheer on a team who was ill prepared to play. Is it the end of the world ? Of course not, but it surely isn’t going to give us any momentum heading into next year and doesn’t exactly boost the national perception of our program. I’m not sitting here saying the world is burning over a bowl loss to UCF, but my God how “meh” can you be?

Just now, Apraser99 said:

Like it or not, many Auburn folks refuse to spend to watch mediocrity.

Could have fooled me considering our home attendance, depite coming off of 7-6 and 8-5 seasons.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

At the risk of being called out for saying something negative about JS, he just did not look the part today.....did nothing with his feet, another horrible fumble and some critical interceptions.  Folks can cuss at the coaches all they want in my view, but when the players take the field it is on them to make plays. 

You make far too much sense for this forum.

D-Line and O-Line got whipped and QB play was bad

1 minute ago, chimes said:

So because you didn’t spend money attending this game it’s not a big deal? Thousands of Auburn people did spend big money and a lot of time traveling to this game to cheer on a team who was ill prepared to play. Is it the end of the world ? Of course not, but it surely isn’t going to give us any momentum heading into next year and doesn’t exactly boost the national perception of our program. I’m not sitting here saying the world is burning over a bowl loss to UCF, but my God how “meh” can you be?

The same way I was "meh" last year when I spent money to go to the Sugar Bowl.  I just can't get worked up about a non-playoff bowl game.  It's a glorified exhibition game.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

not selling out doesn’t mean we don’t care. I care and I didn’t and couldn’t go to the game. If we are going as far as saying if it’s non-playoff, it’s doesnt matter, then when we are eliminated from playoffs in the regular season, why even finish the season? Those games still matter to the program and to be fans.

56 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And to most folks, that's a monster overreaction.  You think people were calling for Saban's head after they lost to Utah?  Or Oklahoma with Bob Stoops and the myriad of big games he lost?

Again, and this is a personal thing, I just have a hard time getting worked about a bowl game.  If this were September, I'd be furious.  But as it stands, the only reason to go to non-playoff bowl game as a fan is if the destination is somewhere fun (like NOLA last year).  And once there, I just want to party.  If we win, great, but it's not a big deal either way.

See that is the thing. With Gus there is no peace of mind with a loss like when Urban, Dabo and Saban lose a game. You know they are great coaches and it is a fluke. The exception not the rule. When those guys get beat 9 times out of 10 it is because the team opposite from them played a great game and just flat out beat them. Most of the losses under gus HAVE COME FROM HIS OWN FUTILITY. That is why there is this topsy turvy rollercoaster ride in the fans relationship with gus. He shows flashes but can never sustain excellence........... I am sorry but I want to badly win every game. A bowl game shows how good a coach is at keeping the kids attention and motivating them if they are not in a playoff. Gus over and over keeps on talking about how THIS BOWL is different this is a business trip! His guys are more prepared than ever then comes out and lays a egg. A bowl game is a great jumpstart on the offseason and the next season if you win. This bowl game was a big bowl game on a national stage and gus choked as he usually seems to do in big games.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

not selling out doesn’t mean we don’t care. I care and I didn’t and couldn’t go to the game. If we are going as far as saying if it’s non-playoff, it’s doesnt matter, then when we are eliminated from playoffs in the regular season, why even finish the season? Those games still matter to the program and to be fans.

I disagree here.  Being that its so close to AU and we have a large alumni base in Atlanta, I think it shows a largely apathetic attitude towards this game.  Remember, we only sold about 10k tickets to the Sugar last year too.  Patterns and such.

Archived