Official Postgame thread

TAYLORKEETON

31 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I never said people don't care about the program.  I said people didn't care about this game.  And ticket sales back me up.  Stop putting words into my mouth.

Well Auburn fans that didn’t attend do care about the game. There is a lot that rides on our bowl games. Inexperienced players get extra practice, and it provides the program momentum going into next season. Players care about the bowl games as well (save for the select few that think saving their bodies for the NFL is more important.)  Next, I care about my coach being 1-4 in bowl games. That makes for negative recruitment fodder and I’m starting to think Malzahn ridiculously thinks like you. Why even keep bowl records if all of them don’t matter? Am I right?

I don’t see how you can say the bowl games we play in are meaningless but say you care about the program. I care about all the bowl games whether they’re for the championship or not. I’m still pissed about the game in Nola last year. I had to listen to it on the road too. 

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

I think he won the job outright. We didn't have anyone on our roster that is as good as Stidham. He literally balled out against UGA (first time) and bama and that is because our OLine play was good.. So basically when we can block and run the ball.. Stidham can do great things in the passing game.. when we can't. well we usually lose.  No way a freshman comes in and takes his job. I do not see how Stidham couldn't be the starter next year.. .. I hope Willis pushes him to make he better. 

Most any QB can be successful in the scenario you stated.  We need one that can do the few "extra" things well to be effective. Move decent in the pocket, make quicker decisions and let go of the ball. Hopefully he'll learn and get better at those things, but Gus and Co. give me little hope unfortunately. 

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

bad randman BAD BAD!!!! lol we have plenty of accomplishments in our history to warrant this swagger! Heck we have more than georgia and they  act like alabama fans without any of the accomplishments! fake it till you make it I guess! haha

Sorry but that's not the way it works. You have swagger mixed up with tradition. 

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Do you feel this issue is mostly on coaching or is it players losing individual battles? Perhaps both?

Perhaps both. When we are senior laden and getting whipped by two and three stars, I begin to think coaching has a healthy portion of blame.

2 hours ago, AUDynasty said:

lol. Typical words from Gus. No playoffs for Auburn anytime soon. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Perhaps both. When we are senior laden and getting whipped by two and three stars, I begin to think coaching has a healthy portion of blame.

Oline play has a lot to do with leverage and technique. It is not all strength. Dline same way.  That comes from good coaching. We are not getting that right now.

Now this year we will have another stupid mantra and Gus will try to pump this thing up of not losing three times in a row in Atlanta and what are the chances that we are prepared for that first game?... very slim. We're keeping the current staff as is except for adding probably a special teams coach and we will without a shadow of a doubt lose our minds next season. I can't for the life of me explain what this football program is under Gus Malzahn to anybody except maybe peculiar. I wasn't over losing the sec championship and I will never be but I finally got up for them playing this game and if we lost ok fine ucf is undefeated for a reason but to flat out look like straight garbage?!! Every single fan has a right to voice their frustration...there's no way you can blame those that are tired of being tired at this point. 

Edit: Not next year, this year

I don't care how big or how fast or how many stars you got coming out of HS, if my team executes their offence better than yours, i will beat you most every time. That is the bottom line in football, pure and simple and that falls totally on the shoulders of the coaches.

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Now next year we will have another stupid mantra and Gus will try to pump this thing up of not losing three times in a row in Atlanta and what are the chances that we are prepared for that first game?... very slim. We're keeping the current staff as is except for adding probably a special teams coach and we will without a shadow of a doubt lose our minds next season. I can't for the life of me explain what this football program is under Gus Malzahn to anybody except maybe peculiar. I wasn't over losing the sec championship and I will never be but I finally got up for them playing this game and if we lost ok fine ucf is undefeated for a reason but to flat out look like straight garbage?!! Every single fan has a right to voice their frustration...there's no way you can blame those that are tired of being tired at this point. 

Well said

Maybe off topic a bit, but mayfield is getting pressure now and is not quite as studly when he does not have a clean pocket to throw from. Getting happy feet as we say about stidham quite often today.   A good line makes a quarterback look oh so good.

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well Auburn fans that didn’t attend do care about the game. There is a lot that rides on our bowl games. Inexperienced players get extra practice, and it provides the program momentum going into next season. Players care about the bowl games as well (save for the select few that think saving their bodies for the NFL is more important.)  Next, I care about my coach being 1-4 in bowl games. That makes for negative recruitment fodder and I’m starting to think Malzahn ridiculously thinks like you. Why even keep bowl records if all of them don’t matter? Am I right?

I don’t see how you can say the bowl games we play in are meaningless but say you care about the program. I care about all the bowl games whether they’re for the championship or not. I’m still pissed about the game in Nola last year. I had to listen to it on the road too. 

This is legitimately the only thing I care about in a non-playoff bowl game.  The extra practices matter for those young guys.  And as stated and shown earlier (with past evidence), the momentum for next year comment is pure fiction.

Caring about a bowl game is not the same as caring about the overall health of a program.  Win or lose today, we still enter next year as a likely top 10 team.  If we had won, what happens?  Maybe we finish in the top 5?  Yippee.  Still didn't win the SEC.

So yeah, I don't care about the outcome today.  It's my stance and a lot of other football fans too.  There's a reason bowl game attendance is sparse in most cases.  People know they are just exhibitions.  And if you're still pissed about the Sugar, then dude, you need better priorities.  I was there and by the time I got to Pat O'Briens, I could not have cared less.  Pretty much every AU fan I ran into had the same attitude.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Caring about a bowl game is not the same as caring about the overall health of a program.  Win or lose today, we still enter next year as a likely top 10 team

Win today and Gus’s contract isn’t a punchline. Which again, hurts recruiting. The bowl game is important and people care about the bowl game whether you want to deny it or not. This bowl game was going to show the world that we are not more of the same. Losing 4 games is just more of the same. Gus supposedly had turned a corner. 

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

There's a reason bowl game attendance is sparse in most cases

There are many reasons for this. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Win today and Gus’s contract isn’t a punchline. Which again, hurts recruiting. The bowl game is important and people care about the bowl game whether you want to deny it or not. This bowl game was going to show the world that we are not more of the same. Losing 4 games is just more of the same. Gus supposedly had turned a corner. 

I'm not denying that some people care about the game.  I've said from the beginning that I personally didn't care about it and that many others didn't as well.

And as I stated earlier, this four loss season is in no way comparable to last year or 2014.  To think it is shows a complete lack of football knowledge and critical thinking skills.

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

If Gus wants to win, he will let him go. Huge move if he does. I don't trust Gus though. 

Oh, that explains it. O-line played as if...oh, wait. Wishful thinking. 

54 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Being great allows you that right........dang...is the concept that hard?  Auburn is good but not great. There are a lot of teams as good as AU right now so NO....no right to swagger around like something special until you are. 

Belle, yes. Auburn gets to celebrate when they flip the inconsistency meter off of laying eggs to "good egg." That means inevitable losses are more disappointments than head-scratchers. Few rail against long-shot-anyway losses, although I long for the day when we have that quiet, humble confidence to face anyone and give them a real gunfight.

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And as I stated earlier, this four loss season is in no way comparable to last year or 2014.

You know why? Because we had more talent across the page than since maybe 2004. Our defense didn’t even have a pulse in 2014 and we didn’t have a QB last year. We had no business being a four loss team.

2 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Didn’t watch a single snap . Had frozen plumbing . Had to remove Sheetrock.  What a day 

Didn't miss much. Third quarter was good but other than that another disappointing showing by the Auburn tigers. 

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Crap. I just realized we're going to fall out of the top ten to close out the year. 

Since bowls don't matter, I guess rankings don't either...

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Crap. I just realized we're going to fall out of the top ten to close out the year. 

Fiddlesticks

Just now, Randman5000 said:

Didn't miss much. Third quarter was good but other than that another disappointing showing by the Auburn tigers. 

From reading this yes I see that. Looking forward to 18 

Archived