Official Postgame thread

TAYLORKEETON

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Could have fooled me considering our home attendance, depite coming off of 7-6 and 8-5 seasons.

Just blind sheep my friend...blind sheep?

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moriarty88 said:

When I said that we should not get in a bidding war over Gus and pay him 7 million a year before the contract was signed, I got all kind of crap on this board.  I hope that those who called me out can see why I felt that way.

You were not alone. 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am not so sure....looking at the teams in the playoffs, all have the ability to run the ball no matter what and 3 of the 4 have QBs who will burn you with their feet on called plays.      The kid from UCF was so much trouble because he was so quick whereas JS looked like he was running in sand when pressured.  

The UCF guy looked like Mayfield ......as I have watched him drive defenses crazy chasing him. 

Auburn was unprepared for it

how ? 

I have no idea but they were unprepared 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I disagree here.  Being that its so close to AU and we have a large alumni base in Atlanta, I think it shows a largely apathetic attitude towards this game.  Remember, we only sold about 10k tickets to the Sugar last year too.  Patterns and such.

We will also have had 3 straight games in ATL when you count UW to open next season. When you’re so close to the playoffs 2 years In a row and fall short it is frustrating. Frustration is probably more accurate, not just flat out not caring 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

At the risk of being called out for saying something negative about JS, he just did not look the part today.....did nothing with his feet, another horrible fumble and some critical interceptions.  Folks can cuss at the coaches all they want in my view, but when the players take the field it is on them to make plays. 

Out of likes but i agree mostly. Still put some on coaching. We have to start game planning around the strengths of our Qb. Plus we don't make ANY in game adjustments. JS certainly needs more work on his game though. 

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A bowl game is a great jumpstart on the offseason and the next season if you win. This bowl game was a big bowl game on a national stage and gus choked as he usually seems to do in big games.

Is it a jumpstart though?  Look no further than Bama.  They got drilled by Utah in 2008 and won the natty a year later.  Ohio State lost the Orange Bowl after the 2013 season and won the natty the next year.  OU got crushed in the playoff last year and are back this year.

Basically what I'm saying is that athletes move on quickly and this will have little to no effect on next year's team.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Out of likes but i agree mostly. Still put some on coaching. We have to start game planning around the strengths of our Qb. Plus we don't make ANY in game adjustments. JS certainly needs more work on his game though. 

Hard to adjust with a five play playbook.

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

We will also have had 3 straight games in ATL when you count UW to open next season. When you’re so close to the playoffs 2 years In a row and fall short it is frustrating. Frustration is probably more accurate, not just flat out not caring 

And I think this is fair.  I'll be there for the opener next year.  Can't wait.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

The adjustment thing is hard to understand.....during the game they showed a stat that AU was 8th in the nation with second half scoring domination which they attributed to half time adjustments......:dunno:

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

We will also have had 3 straight games in ATL when you count UW to open next season

I have said this since this game was announced (snore) fans aren’t excited players weren’t excited. Merry Christmas UCF, the game was as I expected a lackluster performance by uninspired young men. Heck if Auburn had lost one more we could have played Notre Dame that would have gotten everyone up for a game.

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t hate you. I just think our OL got whipped by scrubs that never could’ve made it to Auburn in their wildest dreams.

Truer words have never been spoken

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

2 of those sacks came JS slipping. Listen, JS is not the only QB who is going to get pressure on him. There have been a couple of times now that Jake and Baker both avoiding getting sacked, kept their eyes downfield and completed the pass. JS does not do that. He freaks out at the hint of pressure and runs around, sometimes right into the sack. Yes, the O-Line needs work, but JS needs a lot of work in the pocket. Those guys slide great in the pocket. They don't run around like a chicken with their head cut off at the sense of pressure.

I will give you that. You are correct, but the difference is while those other guys get pressured every now and then, it isn't happening on every play. Our OL today was flat out whipped on almost every play... and not just by 1 defender. Their entire DL was in our backfield almost every snap. Stidham was almost perfect against Bama and UGA (the first time around) because the line did a great job of blocking. When you have 3 to 5 defenders in the backfield a second or two after the ball is snapped, it's all but impossible to to make anything happen. Cam would of struggled almost as bad with how this OL played today. Guess everyone would be saying the true freshman and the kid who is still in high school should get a shot over Cam next year also? But you are right, some of it was on Stidham. The slips at the start of the game hurt. But in reality, he has just barely played 1 full season. The game will slow down for him and make believers of all the neighsayers.

@WarEagle1983 I was wrong you were right. See what happens when I am nice to gus!!! lol...After sweeping amen corner my argument was we HAVE to pay him because there was no other option. You were very calm and level headed and said no way. Let him walk at the money arky was offering him. You never relented on that. I THOUGHT gus had finally changed!!! He was aggressive he coached with a swagger and was totally different from the guy of the last few years against thuga and bama. He came out swinging both games and our team punched them in the mouth and whooped them. I thought THAT was the guy we were about to marry and give a big contract to. BUT NOPE!!!! he and sexton played us! He is same ol same ol stubborn scared gus! The man changed long enough to get his big payday then reverted back to form. SMH.

Please, please adjust from that halfback delay to KJ...It takes to long to develop. You are already in the freaking shotgun.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Is it a jumpstart though?  Look no further than Bama.  They got drilled by Utah in 2008 and won the natty a year later.  Ohio State lost the Orange Bowl after the 2013 season and won the natty the next year.  OU got crushed in the playoff last year and are back this year.

Basically what I'm saying is that athletes move on quickly and this will have little to no effect on next year's team.

That team has saban as coach and the other urban meyer. 2 of the top 5 greatest coaches of all times. we have a glorified pe teacher as clay travis would say lol. The browns have a better chance of making the playoffs next year than we do of gus winning the natty. He had his best chance in 2013 and this year and choked.

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

What did we give up, 35 sacks this year? Need a serious evaluation at that position. Coaching and personnel. I'm surprised they didn't respond after getting whooped like Georgia did against us. It starts and ends up front and it's been a tough year. 

This

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

Did they cancel the postgame press conference? I'm interested to hear what Gus had to say.

Ha! Just listen to the last 10 after a loss. They are all the same.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The adjustment thing is hard to understand.....during the game they showed a stat that AU was 8th in the nation with second half scoring domination which they attributed to half time adjustments......:dunno:

Guess it's smart not to believe everything you see on tv yes? One Aflac trivia question this year, the question was what was the last team from the east to win the SEC Championship. The announcer said Auburn with Cam Newton. 

Moral of the story is not to believe everything you see on tv. 

We have too many long-developing plays still in both the running and passing game.  JS doesn't look off defenders much, and we don't have enough check downs. We should have been rolling him away from #18 all afternoon when it became evident early on that we had no clue how to contain him. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That team has saban as coach and the other urban meyer. 2 of the top 5 greatest coaches of all times. we have a glorified pe teacher as clay travis would say lol. The browns have a better chance of making the playoffs next year than we do of gus winning the natty. He had his best chance in 2013 and this year and choked.

I'm aware who the coaches are of each team.  None of that disputes my point that bowl games mean nothing for the next season.  It's all about coaching.  Can Gus use this as motivation and get us there?  Don't know.  Jury is out on that one.  It's hard to say "absolutely not" because we were one game away from the playoffs.  But it's also hard to say "of course" because he hasn't cashed in yet.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Guess it's smart not to believe everything you see on tv yes? One Aflac trivia question this year, the question was what was the last team from the east to win the SEC Championship. The announcer said Auburn with Cam Newton. 

Moral of the story is not to believe everything you see on tv. 

So you are saying that is wrong....or you don't know and it goes against your preconceived notions?   

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

This

Yep. Georgia was seriously lacking last year. Remember Kirby's quote about not being big enough... Well they made it a serious point in recruiting and coaching. We got them one game but they responded. And they got us in the recruiting on the o line because they've made it such a point of emphasis despite our huge holes next year

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

It's not about losing, it's the lack of preparation, motivation and adjustments.  It's the lack of developing and using players. It's the predictable play calling.

It's not the players. It's the lack of coaching that's frustrating. 

Sorry, the players disappointed me today. 

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Herb Hand's contract ends tonight

In the first official business for Gus thread, when I suggested Auburn needed to find a new offensive line coach, I was laughed at. Of course, they just finished off Alabama at the time and everyone was giddy.

Archived