Abuse of Power

Proud Tiger

I maybe wrong and if so I will lick the egg off my face down the road. But I think the info received today (memo on FISA surveillance) by the House Intelligence Committee is going to be a big bombshell, bigger than Watergate. According to 4 GOP reps I heard interviews with tonight who have read the material say this involves collusion by the DOJ and FBI to prevent Trump from being elected, and even implicates the Mueller team. The GOP reps want the info made public right away but the committee voted along party lines not to. Why? What are the Dems afraid of?  I think all of us need and want to know the facts and decide for ourselves. Is that  asking too much? Hopefully no one disagrees.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/18/gop-lawmakers-demand-alarming-memo-on-fisa-abuses-be-made-public.html

So two things here:

1) If the committee voted along party lines, then that means Republicans shot it down, correct?  Since Rs have control of the House, they get to make committee assignments and have the extra vote on odd numbered panels.

2)  How could the Mueller team work to prevent Trump's election?  Mueller wasn't tapped as special counsel until well after Trump's inauguration.

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So two things here:

1) If the committee voted along party lines, then that means Republicans shot it down, correct?  Since Rs have control of the House, they get to make committee assignments and have the extra vote on odd numbered panels.

2)  How could the Mueller team work to prevent Trump's election?  Mueller wasn't tapped as special counsel until well after Trump's inauguration.

Regarding #2, I think that the memo may say that the FBI or DOJ used the Fusion GPS dossier as their reason for putting members of the Trump campaign team under surveillance. I don't know that anyone has said that the Mueller team tried to prevent Trump's election.

5 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Regarding #2, I think that the memo may say that the FBI or DOJ used the Fusion GPS dossier as their reason for putting members of the Trump campaign team under surveillance. I don't know that anyone has said that the Mueller team tried to prevent Trump's election.

The good board resident, ProudTiger, has insinuated as much in the original post.  

4 minutes ago, HVAU said:

The good board resident, ProudTiger, has insinuated as much in the original post.  

Yeah, this is what I was referring to @Grumps.  The OP sure read like Mueller's team had something to do with trying to prevent an election.  Happy to let him clarify though.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, this is what I was referring to @Grumps.  The OP sure read like Mueller's team had something to do with trying to prevent an election.  Happy to let him clarify though.

I assumed that the OP was implying that the Mueller team has been implicated as being aware of the improper actions of the FBI/DOJ, NOT of trying to prevent Trump's election, because that seems to make far more sense, but I agree that we can just let PT clarify.

10 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I maybe wrong and if so I will lick the egg off my face down the road. But I think the info received today (memo on FISA surveillance) by the House Intelligence Committee is going to be a big bombshell, bigger than Watergate. According to 4 GOP reps I heard interviews with tonight who have read the material say this involves collusion by the DOJ and FBI to prevent Trump from being elected, and even implicates the Mueller team. The GOP reps want the info made public right away but the committee voted along party lines not to. Why? What are the Dems afraid of?  I think all of us need and want to know the facts and decide for ourselves. Is that  asking too much? Hopefully no one disagrees.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/18/gop-lawmakers-demand-alarming-memo-on-fisa-abuses-be-made-public.html

The House Intelligence Committee currently has 14 GOP members and 9 Democrat members.  How is it being blocked if the vote was along party lines?

The committee vote was for releasing it to all members of the House. It passed (the vote was along party lines), so I assume that will happen.

Releasing it to the public is a whole other matter, and likely much more complicated. Of course, once it gets released to the house I assume there are plenty of useful idiots who will leak most of the details anyway, so it may not matter.

37 minutes ago, ertrader said:

The committee vote was for releasing it to all members of the House. It passed (the vote was along party lines), so I assume that will happen.

Releasing it to the public is a whole other matter, and likely much more complicated. Of course, once it gets released to the house I assume there are plenty of useful idiots who will leak most of the details anyway, so it may not matter.

Exactly. My point was no Dem wants it released. And I agree that one way on another it will soon be made public. It will be interesting then. From reports I'm hearing/reading, some senior DOJ/FBI heads are going to roll........as a minimum.

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

From reports I'm hearing/reading, some senior DOJ/FBI heads are going to roll........as a minimum.

PT, could you provide some additional links that you've read that lead you to this conclusion?  I'm skeptical that this is anything more than another sleight of hand/wag the dog attempt by the Nunes faction of the House, but I'm willing to look at further documentation.

It's referenced in your article that the previous FISA warrants previously discussed were granted specifically for surveillance of foreign agents and collection of data on US citizens was incidental, unless previous surveillance merited targeting of citizens.  Unless the memo specifies, with evidence, that the previous adminstration was operating differently, I just don't think you have anything more than a retread of the old Nunes positions and given the optics of his White House relationship one could portray him as having a reason to exaggerate this memo.  As far as some of the other Reps quoted, specifically Gaetz, there's not much credibility.

HVAU....I appreciate your comments and understand the skepticism. I don't have any additional links at this time but it has received a lot of mention last night and this morning. It is being overshadowed at the moment by the possible gov't shutdown. I don't think it is the same old info. Otherwise why did the DOJ?FBI resist so hard in providing it, and then only doing so an hour before the Committee deadline.

I am not being partisan here or doing the old BS dance, just wanting to get to the truth in this whole mess. I think that is important to the very fabric  of our country. In this case I don't care who the guilty parties are, even it is Trump himself. I just want to see some people punished if they have done wrong. I know that's a novel idea in Washington.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

HVAU....I appreciate your comments and understand the skepticism. I don't have any additional links at this time but it has received a lot of mention last night and this morning. It is being overshadowed at the moment by the possible gov't shutdown. I am not being partisan here just wanting to get to the truth in this whole mess. I think that is important to the very fabric  of our country. In this case I don't care who the guilty parties are, even it is Trump himself. I just want to see some people punished if they have done wrong. I know that's a novel idea in Washington.

That's fair.  

Archived