Football Only Facility

Charleston Tiger

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

I think the concussion issue will be one of the larger driving issues of football eventually maybe even going away. The NFL at some point in time will be gutted by the amount of money they end up paying. It will then trickle down to other levels of football and then manufactures of equipment. Asbestos settlements having been going on for years and concussions will do the same thing to football and manufacturers. Not saying it is wrong on right, but what I think will happen and probably not in my lifetime. I enjoyed playing football as kid and in high school. My kids did to, but I have reached the point where I don't think I would like my grandchildren to play. I also believe you see that sentiment growing more and more. It may be 50 years or more but the stadium may be used more for soccer at some point.

Friend I work with is giving up his season tickets.  

He does not wish to contribute to CTE any further.  Thought he was kidding.

Dead serious.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly does a "football only facility" give you?  What facility are they sharing?  If it is the workout\training area, then why would you not want all of your athletes to be able to take advantage of the best they can?

40 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

What exactly does a "football only facility" give you?  What facility are they sharing?  If it is the workout\training area, then why would you not want all of your athletes to be able to take advantage of the best they can?

I've programmed and master planned sports facilities for large football schools (primarily FSU during the Jimbo years)...your football only facility typically includes staff offices, player meeting rooms, classrooms, locker rooms, training rooms, kitchens, dining hall, gym, media rooms, lounges, game rooms, sometimes compliance offices, sometimes a small indoor astroturf playing area, trophy room, grand lobby, football focused wall graphics...anything an AD Complex might have for all teams to share, football wants for themselves b/c they don't want to share.  No sport wants to share, but as the big money maker they feel entitled to have their own of everything and to create an insulated environment for the players and coaches.

26 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

At the ua-t the entire school is a Football Only Facility.

Girls I knew who went to bama said that their dorm parking lots were appropriated on home game weekends. They would have to park across campus and walk to their dorms at night. On a football weekend. Good thing that drunk college dudes are such an innocuous group. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Girls I knew who went to bama said that their dorm parking lots were appropriated on home game weekends. They would have to park across campus and walk to their dorms at night. On a football weekend. Good thing that drunk college dudes are such an innocuous group. 

Not generally exposed to the same level of crowd risk, but

parking/access to the engineering labs is was also problematic, as well

4 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I think the concussion issue will be one of the larger driving issues of football eventually maybe even going away. The NFL at some point in time will be gutted by the amount of money they end up paying. It will then trickle down to other levels of football and then manufactures of equipment. Asbestos settlements having been going on for years and concussions will do the same thing to football and manufacturers. Not saying it is wrong on right, but what I think will happen and probably not in my lifetime. I enjoyed playing football as kid and in high school. My kids did to, but I have reached the point where I don't think I would like my grandchildren to play. I also believe you see that sentiment growing more and more. It may be 50 years or more but the stadium may be used more for soccer at some point.

I still say, and have said for years (thus why my avatar is a Master Chief/AU football mash-up), that we have the materials and design technology to rethink the football uniform and fix most of the contact problems.  The issue is that no one is thinking out of the box. They keep tweaking individual components instead of looking at it as a whole. If we could develop the right body armor,  for instance, connected headgear that disperses the shock of impact away from the head, all of the injury issues would be dramatically diminished. 

Personally, with Auburn's stellar textile engineering and industrial design programs, I'd love to see them lead the way in finding a solution. 

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I still say, and have said for years (thus why my avatar is a Master Chief/AU football mash-up), that we have the materials and design technology to rethink the football uniform and fix most of the contact problems.  The issue is that no one is thinking out of the box. They keep tweaking individual components instead of looking at it as a whole. If we could develop the right body armor,  for instance, connected headgear that disperses the shock of impact away from the head, all of the injury issues would be dramatically diminished. 

Personally, with Auburn's stellar textile engineering and industrial design programs, I'd love to see them lead the way in finding a solution. 

I spent about 45 seconds...this is what I came up with.  Maybe a few color tweaks are needed...

a96dbb33ffdfb9ec.jpg

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Going to need north of a 1/2 billion just to get out of the middle of the pack in the SEC alone. But a lot of upgrades and building is coming. 

Check is in the mail

10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Going to need north of a 1/2 billion just to get out of the middle of the pack in the SEC alone. But a lot of upgrades and building is coming. 

WDE - With Tim Cook getting more involved and visually supportive of Auburn football, is there a chance that we get a huge donation from him? 

Oregon has the NIKE CEO to fund their athletic department. It would be nice to have Mr. Apple put us on a “state-of-the-art” level. I know that he has those architectural connections after seeing the Apple campus.

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

WDE - With Tim Cook getting more involved and visually supportive of Auburn football, is there a chance that we get a huge donation from him? 

Oregon has the NIKE CEO to fund their athletic department. It would be nice to have Mr. Apple put us on a “state-of-the-art” level. I know that he has those architectural connections after seeing the Apple campus.

Pretty sure Tim has already given AU a ton of money. Don't hold me to this but I think north of 10M. Don't think any was going to the AD. As far as donating for sports, I'd say he will. Lets hope Greene cuts some kind of huge deal with Apple. That would be killer. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Pretty sure Tim has already given AU a ton of money. Don't hold me to this but I think north of 10M. Don't think any was going to the AD. As far as donating for sports, I'd say he will. Lets hope Greene cuts some kind of huge deal with Apple. That would be killer. 

The difference between Cook and Knight is that Knight can consider donating to Oregon an investment in his company, because they are a living, breathing billboard for his wares. There's not much value for Apple in investing in Auburn Football.  On top of that, Knight OWNS Nike, Cook is just the boss at Apple.  

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The difference between Cook and Knight is that Knight can consider donating to Oregon an investment in his company, because they are a living, breathing billboard for his wares. There's not much value for Apple in investing in Auburn Football.  On top of that, Knight OWNS Nike, Cook is just the boss at Apple.  

I can think of lots of ideas...

- helmet visors that display or map the play call diagram in real time and even alter it based on defensive alignment...would cut down on players having to learn plays and blocking assignments.

- Uniforms and helmets that measure a player's vitals and can respond with appropriate medical care.

- Additional field camera and tracking technology to assist referees, TV media, and coaches.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

FYI - Nike stock is publicly traded on the NYSE so the company is not privately owned by Knight, although he likely owns a butt load of shares.  

44 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

- helmet visors that display or map the play call diagram in real time and even alter it based on defensive alignment...would cut down on players having to learn plays and blocking assignments.

- Uniforms and helmets that measure a player's vitals and can respond with appropriate medical care.

- Additional field camera and tracking technology to assist referees, TV media, and coaches.

This is already in use, I'm not sure if AU utilizes the technology or not.  

I have a friend who's son works on the training staff for uat athletics, they've been using this technology for a while to measure dehydration levels, energy and output levels, they have a few diabetic players and it measures blood sugar levels, etc. 

They literally have a staff of people that actively measure the energy and exertion levels of their players from the beginning of the game to the end.  They can make "adjustments" to the players intake of fluids, sugar, sodium, potassium, etc. as the game progresses to help the energy and endurance levels.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

This is already in use, I'm not sure if AU utilizes the technology or not.  

I have a friend who's son works on the training staff for uat athletics, they've been using this technology for a while to measure dehydration levels, energy and output levels, they have a few diabetic players and it measures blood sugar levels, etc. 

They literally have a staff of people that actively measure the energy and exertion levels of their players from the beginning of the game to the end.  They can make "adjustments" to the players intake of fluids, sugar, sodium, potassium, etc. as the game progresses to help the energy and endurance levels.

Atlanta United use this, too. Josef Martinez took his jersey off to celebrate a goal one time and everybody was like, "Why's dude wearing a sports bra?" Turns out it's "shirt" that does all those things you mentioned. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Atlanta United use this, too. Josef Martinez took his jersey off to celebrate a goal one time and everybody was like, "Why's dude wearing a sports bra?" Turns out it's "shirt" that does all those things you mentioned. 

Yep, Saban has had them for at least the past 2 seasons (that's how long my friends son has worked on their training staff.) 

I heard that Smart's utilizing the technology at UGA now AND Smart has hired some of the same motivational speakers and mental coaches too.  

On 1/24/2018 at 9:28 AM, AUDevil said:

and doesn't Apple sell headphones?

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If they don;t they can buy a company that does.

Excellent idea.

They Beats you to it.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:15 AM, gctiger said:

FYI - Nike stock is publicly traded on the NYSE so the company is not privately owned by Knight, although he likely owns a butt load of shares.  

He's the founder and the majority stock holder (he owns twice as much as any single investor group), so yea... technically he still owns it.  Arthur Levinson is the majority stockholder of Apple, for the record.  Cook only has a handful of Apple shares (relatively speaking).

On a fun secondary note, Cook is on Nike's board of directors.

56 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Excellent idea.

They Beats you to it.

Beats by TWill.  He was a budding rapper back in the day...time for a rebirth.

Archived