Florida 2018 GT OL Andrew Mike

Are we looking for more OL help?

On Wednesday, the player made the announcement on Twitter. As part of his message, he wrote, “I would like to extend my appreciation to the University of Florida. … To the gator nation, thanks for the undying support though [sic] think and thin.”

Mike, a redshirt senior, appeared in all 11 games as a reserve offensive lineman last season. He also appeared on the Gators’ field goal unit in 2017.

The 6-foot-6, 301-pound native of Tucson, Ariz., joined Florida as a 3-star member of the Class of 2014.

Link

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Are we looking for more OL help?

On Wednesday, the player made the announcement on Twitter. As part of his message, he wrote, “I would like to extend my appreciation to the University of Florida. … To the gator nation, thanks for the undying support though [sic] think and thin.”

Mike, a redshirt senior, appeared in all 11 games as a reserve offensive lineman last season. He also appeared on the Gators’ field goal unit in 2017.

The 6-foot-6, 301-pound native of Tucson, Ariz., joined Florida as a 3-star member of the Class of 2014.

Link

Highly doubt we have the room to take him unfortunately.

We don't have room for him and it also does not appear he was able to break into starting rotation at Florida so I don't see any reason to pursue him even if we had the room.

CGM said  in Montgomery the other day  that we still have wiggle room with our numbers. Gus Malzahn doesn't expect any attrition but Auburn has 'some flexibility'

5 hours ago, metafour said:

Why exactly would you want a kid who couldn't play at Florida? 

Depth. Just for 1 year filling holes. He's not going to count against us and there aren't many GTs left.

31 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Depth. Just for 1 year filling holes. He's not going to count against us and there aren't many GTs left.

He would count against the annual limit of 25, which is already full. Gus's "wiggle room" can only happen by asking some signee to not enroll and take a greyshirt instead of being at Auburn this summer. That's too sabanesque for me and I hope Gus is not even thinking of going there.

Why wouldn't we want him. If we have a little wiggle room, then that tells me Gus could make room for this guy.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Why wouldn't we want him. If we have a little wiggle room, then that tells me Gus could make room for this guy.

We wouldn't want him because the only wiggle room we have would involve putting a guy that trusted Auburn and signed with Auburn out in the street. Which one of our 25 signees would you choose to disappoint?

*insert "he's got two first names!" Joke from Talladega Knights*

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

He would count against the annual limit of 25, which is already full. Gus's "wiggle room" can only happen by asking some signee to not enroll and take a greyshirt instead of being at Auburn this summer. That's too sabanesque for me and I hope Gus is not even thinking of going there.

You're right- I meant that if we did have wiggle room, we can't sign any more freshman. So it wouldn't be taking away a spot. But if we are really full then no, we wouldn't.

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Gus mentioned something about someone possibly being able to count back to 2017 in order to free up a spot. I don't do recruiting math, so I don't pretend to understand it, but the thought was put out there.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus mentioned something about someone possibly being able to count back to 2017 in order to free up a spot. I don't do recruiting math, so I don't pretend to understand it, but the thought was put out there.

There isn't one of those available, unless both my and ellitor's math is screwed up. Mine could be, but @ellitor is an accountant. He never makes math mistakes. At least the Board of Super Picky Accountants says their members never make a math mistake and ellitor is their Chairman of the Board.

(that's an attempt at humor, for the humor impaired)

PS: There's the slimmest of chances that Gus knows more about the subject than we do. :)Schools, Auburn included, don't like people tracking their numbers and it's not unprecedented for some school to lie about any random prospect's status. Even our beloved Auburn has done this in times past.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There isn't one of those available, unless both my and ellitor's math is screwed up. Mine could be, but @ellitor is an accountant. He never makes math mistakes. At least the Board of Super Picky Accountants says their members never make a math mistake and ellitor is their Chairman of the Board.

PS: There's the slimmest of chances that Gus knows more about the subject than we do. :)Schools, Auburn included, don't like people tracking their numbers and it's not unprecedented for some school to lie about any random prospect's status. Even our beloved Auburn has done this in times past.

Yea, it's definitely no coincidence that, after vaguely broaching the subject, Gus very quickly changed it.

I believe a lot goes on we aren’t told and for good reason! I’m okay with that. I think OP visited some with out any outsiders knowing it.

6 hours ago, toddc said:

I believe a lot goes on we aren’t told and for good reason! I’m okay with that. I think OP visited some with out any outsiders knowing it.

In this case I really don't think so. There would have to be a name, somebody we signed this cycle and is now not going to enroll in school. Not sure just who that would or even could be.

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In this case I really don't think so. There would have to be a name, somebody we signed this cycle and is now not going to enroll in school. Not sure just who that would or even could be.

Not necessarily in this case, but I meant,in general, throughout the recruiting process itself! Who visits when nobody knows a kids on campus, or what recruits are in focus by coaches behind closed doors that aren’t publicly acknowledged etc... not specifically the 25/85 number.

On 5/4/2018 at 3:18 PM, Mikey said:

Not a math issue my friend. The numbers are good. The only wiggle room I see is if the staff has found a loop hole in the rules us commoners don't know about yet.

On 5/4/2018 at 3:36 PM, lionheartkc said:

Yea, it's definitely no coincidence that, after vaguely broaching the subject, Gus very quickly changed it.

Not necessarily. Gus does that sometimes whether he is being straight up or playing poker w/ info.

Archived